Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needed its own thread - Pagano and Grigson discussing our round 1 pick

chad72

http://www.colts.com/media-center/videos/Ryan-Grigson--Chuck-Pagano-Discuss-Bjoern-Werner/da065987-18c6-43f6-8cbf-75bfc94fd0ab

Key excerpts:

1. They dropped him back in coverage several times, referenced by both of them several times
  2. His numbers were not garbage time numbers and result of him winning one-on-ones
  3. Took combine results with a grain of salt
  4. His numbers got better every year at FSU
  5. They got offers for trades but chose to stand pat once they knew he was there
  6. His anticipation of snap count and closing speed impressed them a lot

....and more. Enjoy fellas!!! :)

Yea I had posted it in the Werner thread previously, great breakdown

Says his batted passes also jumps off the screen, and referenced having seen that 99 guy from Houston do it quite often

Really sounds like from Pagano, that Werner is going to be the starter, I know it's premature but that's how I feel about it and how Pagano talks about what he brings to the table he is a starter real soon

I never mocked him to us because I never thought he'd get down to 24...was thinking he'd be gone somewhere between 16 and 22.  Very happy that we got this kid!  I also loved what Grigs said...paraphrasing...."I don't care really care what his 40 time was.  I don't think he'll have to run 40 yards to sack a quarterback".  LOL!

I liked him a lot. To me he compares Paul Kruger good instinct matched with size and closing speed.

I love the Stephen King reference with sticking him on the field and yelling "Sick 'em".

Can't wait to see him opposite Mathis. Mathis can teach him some moves. Hopefully the spin move that Freeney used to such great effect the last several years.

Yeah I see this guy as Kruger-ish with more upside. I'm confused as to how they are going to use him OLB or could be possibly gain massive weight and be a jacked 290 LB 3-4 rush DE? I would think OLB.

Based on how they tested him in coverage and liked his ability there, one has to think they are going to use him as a OLB.  Defensive ends don't play in coverage.

Guy seems mature and a hard worker.  

I wish I could zoom in on some of those pics and make out their draft board.  But I suppose they wouldn't make that information public.

Lol! I was thinking the same thing. We only need that digital imaging improvement SW that every CSI tv show has, but doesn't exist in real life.

This guy should and will be a heck of a lot better than Kruger.. He just needs a lot more experience. He is younger and much cheaper than Kruger as well.. I see a little J.J Watt in this kid as well

I see a lot of J.J. Watt in this kid! The power, the endless motor, the burst off the line of scrimmage, the run defense, the pass rush, the tackling ability and ball swatting. 

He ONLY fell because of his combine, but on film hes arguably the Top 5 player in the country this past season. 

I see a lot of J.J. Watt in this kid! The power, the endless motor, the burst off the line of scrimmage, the run defense, the pass rush, the tackling ability and ball swatting. 

He ONLY fell because of his combine, but on film hes arguably the Top 5 player in the country this past season. 

I would be happy to see him have half the defensive production JJ Watt has.  

temp2013_0425_DRAFT_bowen_0029--nfl_mezz

My guess is this is where he showed Grigs the tweet of Minny's pick and he knew they had just what they wanted....I high first round player who fell to them.

No way in the world anyone in their right mind would smile when arguably the best player in the draft falls all the way down to the pick right before you.  Monster burn. 

At first, I was a little iffy on the pick since he is more suited to a 4-3 DE position and he has drawn comparisons to Osi and Jared Allen (on a side note, we took Jerry Hughes who was believed to be better suited to a 3-4 OLB when we played the 4-3 and now that we are 3-4, we take a guy who some say is better suited to a 4-3 DE haha).  But Mayock, Pagano, and Grigson all like it.  So I'm all for it

I believe that's Irsay's daughter.  She's married though.

One of them might be in the forefront sooner than later, especially if Irsay's health goes south. Does Irsay have a son? Just curious since I haven't heard a son mentioned.

One of them might be in the forefront sooner than later, especially if Irsay's health goes south. Does Irsay have a son? Just curious since I haven't heard a son mentioned.

Wikipedia says that his children are named Carli, Casey, and Kelen.  I googled Casey Irsay and Kalen Irsay and it came up with pictures of women so I presume that he has only 3 daughters.  

Colt's website has all 3 daughters holding the position of "Vice Char/Owner"

http://www.colts.com/team/staff.html

Sounds like all 3 have represented the Colt's at owner's meetings.  The youngest appears to be unmarried while the other 2 are married.  

I never mocked him to us because I never thought he'd get down to 24...was thinking he'd be gone somewhere between 16 and 22.  Very happy that we got this kid!  I also loved what Grigs said...paraphrasing...."I don't care really care what his 40 time was.  I don't think he'll have to run 40 yards to sack a quarterback".  LOL!

That quote sums how I've always felt about pass rushers running a 40. I think they should give LBers a 10-15 yard  dash through some sort of emulation of breaking a blocker to the QB.

Agreed! I was gonna say skinny too. Hope he's ok!

That is why, I feel he will be pass down OLB from the Walden side till he gets to used to NFL caliber OL and then gradually, his playing time will increase like most rookies.

Next year is when I expect to see his best production.

That is why, I feel he will be pass down OLB from the Walden side till he gets to used to NFL caliber OL and then gradually, his playing time will increase like most rookies.

Next year is when I expect to see his best production.

They were talking about Irsay not Werner