Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nt Prospects?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I see is a talented team that is being held down by predictability and uncreativity. If Caldwell, Coyer, and Christensen will just start coaching better, then we will see a big improvement. The only big weakness on this team right now is the secondary. SS and CB are immediate needs, but picks like NT and OG are minor needs that will help to make this that much better.

very much agreed.

@Jason- Yeah thats exactlly who I was thinking about as a third/fourth round pick for depth. What do you know about Dontari Poe?

I've only been able to see Poe play a couple of times but he is a monster. Much quicker than I expected from a guy his size. The only thing I"d question about him is his stamina. He seems to come out for more plays than guys like Short, Thompson etc.

As much as I would love to draft NT in the first round we need to go CB Morris Claiborne. But as worst team in the nfl we can still get a good NT in the second. My list of NT id pick goes like this Brandon Thompson (who will be gone) than Alameda Ta'amu who I think might be there at the 33rd pick. Why him u ask, big man with good feet. He may not fit as ur typical NT in a tampa 2 which calls for a smaller faster NT but hear me out. You got Freeney and Mathis one of the best pass rushing duos if not the best who always need double teaming, we all love Nevis right big and fast as a UT perfect for the Tampa 2 will and hopefully will need to be doubled from time to time, acting as a third pass rusher. This is where we need to change our thinking. But a true NT here 3-4 NT in our line up he my not be fast enough to beat u with his feet but is to strong for one line man to handle and will disrupt the pocket and take up space to help stop the run. Which also requires a few doubles himself which free up someone else to rush the passer. Also all this will give our linebacker time to read and react to the pass or run. Picture it Freeney Ta'amu Nevis Mathis. Better pass rushing and run stopping. All I want for chrismas next year is a defense ranked out of the 30s and 20s and all are nasty not nice. Foster Mola are not doing it. I believe in developing player but if u want the best go after it. There is a reason they are ranked in the draft

@Sarah- I think that is very common amongst most of us, that we want the big body who requires the double teams, but can anchor and penetrate both, I think we need more of a 3-4 nose tackle type as well. I watched Alameda Ta'amu today verse USC and I must say I was pleasantly surprised! Jason who comments in this thread is very knowledgeable of college players and told me he was an overweight UT and not a NT despite playing the NT in the 3-4 front. I must say he was fantastic from what I saw! My top two NT prospects are now Ta’amu and Poe! As long as the Colts get one of them!

@Jason- So I was able to watch lots of football today, in particular I was observing nose tackles. I watched Still from Penn State, Worthy from Michigan St., Short from Purdue, Alameda Ta'amu Washington, Jaye Howard of Florida, Randal of Texas, Thompson of Clemson, and Poe of Memphis. I will now rank them from what I saw as who my top prospects are of these top prospects.

1. Poe- Memphis-Really Big, physical, and athletic, he is my top NT prospect.

2. Ta’amu-Not as tall or athletic as Poe, but has similar size and abilities.

3. Thompson-Solid run stuffer, doesn’t bring the size of the two above him.

4. Worthy-Very stout at the point of attack and can penetrate, kind of raw.

5. Short-Very similar to Thompson, but more raw, could be mid round steal.

6. Randal-Would like him picked late as Nevis back up as an Under Tackle.

7. Howard-Very Undersized, not a NT, looks more like a 3-4 DE prospect.

8. Still-Thought he would be better suited as a 3-4 DE as well.

@Colts52671- None of those guys are impact nose tackles. The player from the U that I like and will probably fall because of injury, is Marcus Forston.

@Alfred- I agree, and that would be logical; however if the Colts do not pursue Soliai, Franklin, or Rodgers, the Colts have to go Poe!

@Colts52671- None of those guys are impact nose tackles. The player from the U that I like and will probably fall because of injury, is Marcus Forston.

@Alfred- I agree, and that would be logical; however if the Colts do not pursue Soliai, Franklin, or Rodgers, the Colts have to go Poe!

Why do you like Poe so much? All I know is that he is really big and he plays for Temple.

Poe- is 6’5” 350 he is the prototypical nose tackle size, but this guy not only anchors, but he penetrates because of his serious athleticism. He is being compared to Shaun Rodgers meets Haloti Nagta, and what I have seen of him I was impressed. I think the Colts can target him in the second/third round and think he would be a steal, similar to Nevis. Looking at it as far as Value he has first round talent, but because he plays at Memphis he isn’t as well known! That size, speed, and overall athleticism cannot be taught! Who do you like Ramblin based on what you have seen?

Poe- is 6’5” 350 he is the prototypical nose tackle size, but this guy not only anchors, but he penetrates because of his serious athleticism. He is being compared to Shaun Rodgers meets Haloti Nagta, and what I have seen of him I was impressed. I think the Colts can target him in the second/third round and think he would be a steal, similar to Nevis. Looking at it as far as Value he has first round talent, but because he plays at Memphis he isn’t as well known! That size, speed, and overall athleticism cannot be taught! Who do you like Ramblin based on what you have seen?

I haven't really watched very many this year, but from what I've read I like Brandon Thompson and Jerel Worthy. I also like Marcus Fornston, but he got injured and will probably stay in college. I like Brandon Thompson because he is good at fighting through multiple blockers and is explosive off the snap. Jerel Worthy is good at holding the point of attack against multiple blockers, but it seems that he hasn't developed into a good inside pass rusher yet like he was projected too. He is more raw I guess you could say. Marcus Fornston is similar to Worthy. Of course, this is mainly from articles and stuff that I have read on these players, but my top to in this order right now is Thompson and then Worthy. Dontari Poe sounds like he has some potential though from what your saying.

@Colts52761- I thought Marcus Forston was the starting NT prior to his injury, I am not sure if he is entering the draft or not.

@Sarah- That could be true, depending on contracts being re-worked, players being re-signed or released, and the office plan going forward. Some free agents could come as a bargain i.e. Shaun Rodgers and Aubrayo Franklin who would both be instant upgrades at NT! Franklin received little to no interest except from the Saints in the offseason, he could really come cheap. Landry, as amazing as that would be, and who I would love the Colts to pursue would come with a hefty price tag, so that’s an accurate analysis, but an unfortunate one! :P

@Ramblin- Yeah, I read the articles on the players as well, at the beginning of the college season, and over the past few weeks have been able to do some analyzing of my own. (not that I am an expert) The knock I have on Thompson is how undersized he is to play nose tackle, he to me represents Nevis, but with more run stuffing ability, same penetration ability, and he doesn’t have that size. If we trade down like I want, I think Thompson is a reach that early in the draft. Poe would represent a great second round pick, because he represents a penetrator and run stuffer all in one. You have to see this kid, at 6’5” 350 Lbs. he is hard to miss, but the way he moves you would think he was a huge defensive end. That’s why I said Nagta meets Rodgers, Rodgers massive height and weight, with his power and tenacity, meets Nagta’s quickness and athleticism. This guy is really really something special!

@Husker61- I was really disappointed with what I have seen from still, especially against Nebraska this past weekend, he is not the penetrator, run stuffer that I thought he was made out to be. He reminds me more of an under tackle or a 3-4 defensive end, very similar to Cullen Jenkins, the Colts need that NT presence!

My opinion of Ta'amu hasn't changed. I don't think he winds up playing NT in the pros. He's more of a penetrator than a "hold the point" type of player. I've seen him get pushed off the line consistently against 1 on 1 blocking, so no way imo he's able to stand up to double teams. He doesn't play with the strength I would expect from someone his size.

IMO, the best NT prospects for combination of talent and value in regards to where they would need to be picked are:

1. Brandon Thompson

2. Dontari Poe (really he is a bit of a wildcard. For one thing I think he could very likely stay in college for his senior year.)

3. Kawann Short

4. Jaye Howard

5. Kendall Reyes

Devon Still, Jerel Worthy and I believe Kheeston Randall are all primarily UT's. Based on abilities, Worthy could possibly play NT in our defense but I don't think the same would be true of the other 2.

I haven't seen enough of Tydreke Powell to form much of an opinion. He did play pretty well in one game I specifically focused on him but that was only one game.

@Jason- Most of your interpretations and opinions I tend to agree with, how you feel Ta’amu won’t play NT to me is interesting. It doesn’t matter that he lines up as the zero technique nose tackle in Washington’s 3-4 front, I agree prospects can be better suited for other positions. But I watched him against USC on anything run between the guards and the center blow the play up and make tackle after tackle after tackle. He is a complete space eater, and I think that he would probably be better suited as a 4-3 NT, he remind me of Pecko from Cincy.

Short has great value later in the draft, I have him as my fifth ranked prospect you have him as your third, which shows there isn’t much talent at NT in this years draft, which means the Colts have to seek free agency, or draft one of these players maybe earlier then they should.

Thompson just lacks the size of a NT, but his play is completely representative of how a nose tackle should play, I ranked him third, because I feel Poe, and Ta’amu will slip to second/ third round where the Colts can get them, and even with a trade down anywhere in the top ten, that would be reaching for Thompson.

Howard, Reyes, Randall, and Still are all Under Tackles in my opinion as well, with Randall being my favorite from that group as a late round selection to back up Nevis, which is a far better option than Moala. So we agree with a lot of our talent evaluations, but I think Ta’amu fits more of a 4-3 NT than you think, what’s the earliest you would draft Thompson?

@Jason- Take a look at this link from Bleacher report, it talks about the top prospects and the system/ position they fit best. It has Ta'amu as a one tech NT in a 4-3 just like I thought! So we both agree he isn't a 3-4 0 tech NT, but he could be a 4-3 1 tech NT! They all have Thompson as a 4-3 UT.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/939551-2012-nfl-draft-big-board-week-11-update#/articles/939551-2012-nfl-draft-big-board-week-11-update/page/33

@Jason- Take a look at this link from Bleacher report, it talks about the top prospects and the system/ position they fit best. It has Ta'amu as a one tech NT in a 4-3 just like I thought! So we both agree he isn't a 3-4 0 tech NT, but he could be a 4-3 1 tech NT! They all have Thompson as a 4-3 UT.

http://bleacherrepor...-update/page/33

There were also a lot of pre-draft reports that said Jerry Hughes was a better fit at OLB in a 3-4 than DE in a 4-3, or that Ijalana would play OG in the pros instead of OT. Not so say that any of these reports were necessarily right or wrong. In regards to Ta'amu, I'm simply giving my opinion based on what I've seen when I watch him play. I really don't think he would be the type of NT that everyone wants. Dontari Poe is probably the closest to the type of NT we want. All in all, in regards to talent and value for where he would be picked, Kawann Short or Josh Chapman (forgot to include him in my previous list...I knew I was forgetting someone lol) is probably our best option.

@Jason- Bro I have to agree with those reports. Jerry Hughes played OLB at TCU, he was a stand up pass rusher, not a hand on the ground pass rusher, but Bill Polian thought otherwise and was wrong. Ijalana was thought to be able to play tackle or guard, the reason he was thought to be better suited for guard, was because his best attribute is his ability to maul in the run game. Bill thought he was better suited to play Tackle, and that may be true, verdict is out on him, he is hurt so there is no way of knowing. But I think the idea of him playing guard is there, and you just stated scouting reports say he would have been better suited at Guard. That report really took both of our perspectives and blended it, I called him a NT, he does play 3-4 0 Technique NT, and you called him more of an under tackle in a 4-3, well the reports has him as a 4-3 1 Tech NT which is what I thought he would be better suited for, and is a blend of what your saying as well. I agree that for his weight he isn’t as stout against double, or even one on one matchups as others like Short and Thompson are, but he also can penetrate better than they can, which is an attribute you have to like. His size clogs lanes, and he is athletic enough to penetrate from NT, but he also could be taught the technique he is lacking, the size and athleticism cannot be taught. I think he may sneak in to the first round, now if he falls to the third round like you think he might, I think he is worth a third round pick, but I really like Poe!

I agree that for his weight he isn’t as stout against double, or even one on one matchups as others like Short and Thompson are, but he also can penetrate better than they can, which is an attribute you have to like.

That's the thing..he's not stout against single or double blocks....he's not stout at the line and can't hold the point of attack. yes he can penetrate. However, a NT's first job is to hold the point and second job is to penetrate. Ideally you want a guy who can do both but the NT's first job is to hold the point, more often than not against double teams. That's why I say he'd be a better option as an UT instead of NT. Just my opinion. :)

@Jason- Bro I have to agree with those reports. Jerry Hughes played OLB at TCU, he was a stand up pass rusher, not a hand on the ground pass rusher, but Bill Polian thought otherwise and was wrong. Ijalana was thought to be able to play tackle or guard, the reason he was thought to be better suited for guard, was because his best attribute is his ability to maul in the run game. Bill thought he was better suited to play Tackle, and that may be true, verdict is out on him, he is hurt so there is no way of knowing. But I think the idea of him playing guard is there, and you just stated scouting reports say he would have been better suited at Guard. That report really took both of our perspectives and blended it, I called him a NT, he does play 3-4 0 Technique NT, and you called him more of an under tackle in a 4-3, well the reports has him as a 4-3 1 Tech NT which is what I thought he would be better suited for, and is a blend of what your saying as well. I agree that for his weight he isn’t as stout against double, or even one on one matchups as others like Short and Thompson are, but he also can penetrate better than they can, which is an attribute you have to like. His size clogs lanes, and he is athletic enough to penetrate from NT, but he also could be taught the technique he is lacking, the size and athleticism cannot be taught. I think he may sneak in to the first round, now if he falls to the third round like you think he might, I think he is worth a third round pick, but I really like Poe!

This isn't true. I watched some Jerry Hughes highlights, and he hand his hand on the ground far more than he was standing up. He has a great burst of the line in his highlights with his hand on the ground. I can see why the colts drafted him. He has a lot of potential, he just hasn't unlocked all of it yet.

A great coach can utilize Hughes though if he is creative. Seeing a how Hughes is a DE/OLB, he can play either with his hand on the ground or standing up at DE. That ability can be used to confuse offensive lineman. Hopefully he will continue to develop and play better, because I want to see him, Freeney, and Mathis all on the field on 3rd and long. We need that 3rd pass rusher and I think that Hughes has the potential to be it.

@Ramblin- Sounds to me like you may like the idea of my 4-3 Under, where Jerry Hughes would be the blitzing SAM linebacker on the line of scrimmage! By the way, Jerry played OLB/DE at TCU used as a stand-up rusher and a down lineman as well. But let's talk about some nose tackle prospects!

@Ramblin- Sounds to me like you may like the idea of my 4-3 Under, where Jerry Hughes would be the blitzing SAM linebacker on the line of scrimmage! By the way, Jerry played OLB/DE at TCU used as a stand-up rusher and a down lineman as well. But let's talk about some nose tackle prospects!

Your Dontari Poe to Haloti Ngata/Shaun Rodgers comparison is very interesting. And don't be calling Ngata just a quickness and athletic DT hahah. He's somewhere between 6'4" 330 lbs. to 6'4" 350 lbs. I never got to see Shaun Rodgers when he was playing well so I don't know much about him. If Poe can be the next Ngata/Rodgers though, I would definitely take him, like DEFINITELY!!!!! When you call Poe athletic, does that mean he has a great jump off the snap? Is he really good at penetrating and getting into the backfield? His size and strength should be good for holding the point of attack against multiple blockers though.

Also about Brandon Thompson, he's not really undersized as a DT. He's 6'2" 310 lbs. which is bigger than what Anthony McFarland was for us. McFarland is listed at 6'0" 300 lbs. but he was very good at playing NT in a 4-3. I think of a good 1-tech DT (4-3 NT) as a guy, either big or medium sized like McFarland, who can hold the point of attack against multiple blockers and can also explode off the line and cause havoc in the backfield.

Yeah I'd like Jerry Hughes as a blitzing LB in the 4-3 under, but he would still be a DE. I'd like to see him use his jump off the snap at DT in a pass rushing situation, kind of like Raheem Brock did for us.

What I meant by the Ngata reference was how a man that large can move and possess that much athleticism. I think he may slip to the second round where I would like to see him in a Colts Uniform, him and Nevis would be serious. He anchors, penetrates, and demolishes everything in his path! I think Brandon Thompson would be better suited as a 3 Tech run stuffer, I am not sure if he fits the 4-3 1 Tech NT that would be my first choice, he really has the ability minus the size I want. I really want a guy like Poe doing that, unless Thompson falls drastically to the second round then that’s a different situation, I may like Thompson for the value at that pick. Thompson reminds me of Kevin Williams from Minnesota a penetrating 3 tech with great run stuffing abilities.

What I meant by the Ngata reference was how a man that large can move and possess that much athleticism. I think he may slip to the second round where I would like to see him in a Colts Uniform, him and Nevis would be serious. He anchors, penetrates, and demolishes everything in his path! I think Brandon Thompson would be better suited as a 3 Tech run stuffer, I am not sure if he fits the 4-3 1 Tech NT that would be my first choice, he really has the ability minus the size I want. I really want a guy like Poe doing that, unless Thompson falls drastically to the second round then that’s a different situation, I may like Thompson for the value at that pick. Thompson reminds me of Kevin Williams from Minnesota a penetrating 3 tech with great run stuffing abilities.

Remember though, Poe is demolishing everything in his path against weaker competition in small school opponents. I have yet to see him play, but I wonder how he would fair against tougher competition. I want to see a game where I just watch Brandon Thompson, maybe against South Carolina or a team with a good O-line. If he can overpower double teams in that game, then I am sold on him as a 4-3 1-tech DT. He has an explosive burst off the snap and from what I've heard he is good at holding the point of attack against multiple blockers. Right now I'd draft Thompson over Poe because of the level of the opponents, but I'd like to see what each guy can do.

If we did my draft, then our D-line rotation would be:

DE - Dwight Freeney, Jerry Hughes

UT (3-tech) - Drake Nevis, Fili Moala

NT (1-tech) - Brandon Thompson, Antonio Johnson

DE - Robert Mathis, Jamaal Anderson

DT/DE - And don't forget about Eric Foster, he can be a run stuffing DE, a pass rushing DT, and a great special teams player.

Don't really just zone into the starters, our D-line would be a rotation. Freeney and Mathis would get most of the snaps at DE, but other than that the D-line would rotate with each other to stay fresh. If we had this group of 9 guys on the D-line, then I'd think that we would have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL! The awesome part is that we're only adding one key player!

I had the exact same question about Poe myself! And that was even something I posted, I wonder how he would fair against better talent, and I would think with his size he would easily anchor like a nose tackle, he may not penetrate as easily as he does now. I watched Thompson play a few times this year, I stared him down against Boston College and I thought he played well. He just didn’t have that amazing impact that I would want from a nose tackle, I want the guy who penetrates, anchors well, and is just a force to deal with in the middle, that way Nevis, Freeney, and Mathis can face more one on one matchups. I don’t for see Thompson falling to the second round, if he does different story, and I would certainly see the Colts taking him. That’s why I see Poe as the best choice in the second/third round. I personally would like to see Fili Moala go this offseason, and see Randall from Texas being drafted late to be in a rotation with Nevis. Its unfortunate Freeney and Mathis see reduced time because they can’t stop the run I would like to see some more versatile D-Ends drafted going forward, ale Justin Tuck/Julius Peppers.

My Ideal D-Line Rotation

DE- Freeney, Alex Oakfur

UT- Nevis, Randall

NT- Poe, Mookie,

DE- Mathis, Jacqueis Smith

DT/DE- Jamaal Anderson or OLB/DE- Hughes

I know Oakfur and Smith are two defensive end selections, but Freeney and Mathis are getting long in the tooth and both have/ will have high contracts for defensive ends that don’t play every down. Oakfur and Smith can do it all like your Tuck and Peppers, and can be the future for the Colts. Call me crazy but I would consider trading Mathis if he demands too high of a contract, and possibly Freeney if he doesn’t take a pay cut. I could see Cleveland, Detroit, and Minnesota offering some picks for these guys.

I had the exact same question about Poe myself! And that was even something I posted, I wonder how he would fair against better talent, and I would think with his size he would easily anchor like a nose tackle, he may not penetrate as easily as he does now. I watched Thompson play a few times this year, I stared him down against Boston College and I thought he played well. He just didn’t have that amazing impact that I would want from a nose tackle, I want the guy who penetrates, anchors well, and is just a force to deal with in the middle, that way Nevis, Freeney, and Mathis can face more one on one matchups. I don’t for see Thompson falling to the second round, if he does different story, and I would certainly see the Colts taking him. That’s why I see Poe as the best choice in the second/third round. I personally would like to see Fili Moala go this offseason, and see Randall from Texas being drafted late to be in a rotation with Nevis. Its unfortunate Freeney and Mathis see reduced time because they can’t stop the run I would like to see some more versatile D-Ends drafted going forward, ale Justin Tuck/Julius Peppers.

My Ideal D-Line Rotation

DE- Freeney, Alex Oakfur

UT- Nevis, Randall

NT- Poe, Mookie,

I know Oakfur and Smith are two defensive end selections, but Freeney and Mathis are getting long in the tooth and both have/ will have high contracts for defensive ends that don’t play every down. Oakfur and Smith can do it all like your Tuck and Peppers, and can be the future for the Colts. Call me crazy but I would consider trading Mathis if he demands too high of a contract, and possibly Freeney if he doesn’t take a pay cut. I could see Cleveland, Detroit, and Minnesota offering some picks for these guys.

I've been looking at DE's too. I like Okafor from Texas. A couple others I like that would be 3rd-6th round picks are Andre Branch from Clemson, Jack Crawford from Penn State, Jake Bequette from Arkansas, Malik Jackson from Tennessee, and both Devin Taylor and Melvin Engram from South Carolina. Oh and also Trevor Guyton from Cal.

@Jason- We both want the Colts to trade the Luck pick for picks/players and have similar logic behind it. What do you think about the Colts dealing Freeney or Mathis if they can't negotiate better contracts, getting draft picks for them and getting two defensive ends in the draft like a Smith and Oakfur combination who can pass rush and play the run well? Think about the Cap Space that would be available to go after some impact free agents!

@Jason- We both want the Colts to trade the Luck pick for picks/players and have similar logic behind it. What do you think about the Colts dealing Freeney or Mathis if they can't negotiate better contracts, getting draft picks for them and getting two defensive ends in the draft like a Smith and Oakfur combination who can pass rush and play the run well? Think about the Cap Space that would be available to go after some impact free agents!

I could see us parting with either Freeney or Mathis, but I don't see us parting with both. I could see them drafting a DE this year, especially if they don't anticipate being able to re-sign Mathis. Personally I'd be fine with that. Keep Freeney, Anderson, Hughes and either Foster or Brayton and then draft a more balanced DE to add to the rotation. If they do re-sign Mathis then they could trade Freeney but I doubt this would happen.

My Ideal D-Line Rotation

DE- Freeney, Alex Oakfur

UT- Nevis, Randall

NT- Poe, Mookie,

Don't rely on mid to late round picks to become future starters at DE. There's the chance that they do, but I'd rather stay with Freeney and Mathis.

Don't rely on mid to late round picks to become future starters at DE. There's the chance that they do, but I'd rather stay with Freeney and Mathis.

Even 1st rounders like Jerry Hughes couldn't live up to Freeney and Mathis. But I'd rather have a Mathis-equivelant in CB than Mathis himself.

I've been watching more of Poe and the more I watch of him, the more I get the feeling he's going to sneak into the first round and get picked by one of the 3-4 teams that will be picking at the end of round 1 (Pitt, GB, Balt, Hou, Dal etc).

As for right now watching him play and how he fits our current system, I think Brandon Thompson is a perfect fit for us. He is a gap penetrating DT. He can which is also a wrinkle in his game stand up. I seen him stand up last year and rush the passer. Him next to Nevis would be something nice to see. I think we also need a 330 pound DT. This guy would cost to much. We play him on 3 and 1's and blocking on special teams. You could even use him as an extra blocker/tight end/fullback on offense. I hope we resign Quinn Ojinnaka. He does a great job coming in and blocking as TE.