Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nt Prospects?

I really evaluated nose tackles again this weekend, and I watched Clemson and NC State game. Thompson has great abilities, there is no question about that, but there is something lacking there from me to be very honest. I don't understand the love fest with the guy, I still see him more as a run stuffing UT, very similar to a Kevin Williams... now if he fell to the second round, I would certainly understand the selection, but this team needs a 1 tech, and I still have my fingers crossed Poe makes it to the second round! Jason obviously you are impressed with him, to say you see him sneaking into the frist round, where before you were unsure about him,

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for right now watching him play and how he fits our current system, I think Brandon Thompson is a perfect fit for us. He is a gap penetrating DT. He can which is also a wrinkle in his game stand up. I seen him stand up last year and rush the passer. Him next to Nevis would be something nice to see. I think we also need a 330 pound DT. This guy would cost to much. We play him on 3 and 1's and blocking on special teams. You could even use him as an extra blocker/tight end/fullback on offense. I hope we resign Quinn Ojinnaka. He does a great job coming in and blocking as TE.

Brandon Thompson is also good at holding the point of attack and fighting through double teams. I think he'd be a great fit for the colts too!

I really evaluated nose tackles again this weekend, and I watched Clemson and NC State game. Thompson has great abilities, there is no question about that, but there is something lacking there from me to be very honest. I don't understand the love fest with the guy, I still see him more as a run stuffing UT, very similar to a Kevin Williams... now if he fell to the second round, I would certainly understand the selection, but this team needs a 1 tech, and I still have my fingers crossed Poe makes it to the second round! Jason obviously you are impressed with him, to say you see him sneaking into the frist round, where before you were unsure about him,

haha I already know what is lacking from Thompson that you want, it's an extra 40 lbs. to make him bigger. ;)

Well certainly I want the bigger guy, but the bigger guy with the athleticism and skill to make an impact! I feel as thought Dontari Poe is everything Thompson is, but with larger size in height and weight, and he is faster and has more mobility and athleticism. If Thompson falls to the second round, I say you take him, I just can't justify a first round selection of Thompson, when Poe could be there top of the second, and really has a far greater upside!

Well certainly I want the bigger guy, but the bigger guy with the athleticism and skill to make an impact! I feel as thought Dontari Poe is everything Thompson is, but with larger size in height and weight, and he is faster and has more mobility and athleticism. If Thompson falls to the second round, I say you take him, I just can't justify a first round selection of Thompson, when Poe could be there top of the second, and really has a far greater upside!

If Dontari Poe has as much upside as you say, shouldn't he be a 1st round selection? I haven't seen him play, but I just find it hard to believe that he is faster and has greater athleticism than Brandon Thompson. If so, then I would definitely pick him in the top of the 2nd round.

Reason he hasn't gotten the first round hype is because he plays for Memphis! But on alot of draft boards he is sneaking into the first round. Even Jason has been eye balling him and thinks he is going in the first round!

We don't want that though right ;) If we can't get Brandon Thompson with around the 18th pick in the 1st round or so then I'd be fine with taking Dontari Poe early in the second.

Yeah, I don't see Thompson falling to the second round, but unfortunately I could see Poe going at the end of the first. :sad: So then I would reccomend waiting to get Short in the third round, or possibly Ta'amu in the second if he is still around. I am thinking teams will target him over Poe... fingers crossed they don't!

Yeah, I don't see Thompson falling to the second round, but unfortunately I could see Poe going at the end of the first. :sad: So then I would reccomend waiting to get Short in the third round, or possibly Ta'amu in the second if he is still around. I am thinking teams will target him over Poe... fingers crossed they don't!

Yeah, I would think that more teams would target Ta'amu before Poe too.

IMO Ta'amu will be targetted by a 3-4 team needing a big DE and Poe will be targetted also by a 3-4 team needing a versatile defensive lineman. IMO Poe will go first.

Also, I know the rankings change every week but Ta'amu has been steadily dropping while Poe has been rising and Poe is currently ranked #30 overall with Ta'amu ranked #59 overall on http://www.cbssports...ngs/TSX/2012_DT

So let's say Poe is gone in the first round, Thompson will be gone as well.. You have Chapman, Ta'amu, or Worthy possibly hanging around in the second round, I like Worthy and Ta'amu as possible selections.. or could always wait for Short in the third/fourth.

I would take Worthy or Chapman...or wait till the 3rd and grab Short.

I think Short only represents some quality depth at the position, I would like to see the Colts upgrade and get that instant starter! I only see Poe and Thompson being those guys, if Worthy falls to the second round he may be "Worthy" of a look, but his play has been somewhat dissapointing...

After watching Thompson, I am convinced he is over rated! I wasn't sure what it was about him that I didn't like but now I see...He lacks hustle, frequently quits on plays and is out of position... If only Reyes from UConn had Thompson's size! I would say that would be the third or fourth round target to play NT, I would like Reyes drafted to play UT with Nevis, the kid doesn't quit on plays, has a great motor, and is not caught out of position! If the Colts target any first round NT it should be Poe, otherwise I would only consider Worthy in the second, or Short in the third or fourth, the position doesn't appear very strong in this years class...

• 1 month later...

We don't want that though right ;) If we can't get Brandon Thompson with around the 18th pick in the 1st round or so then I'd be fine with taking Dontari Poe early in the second.

So I know this is an old thread Ramblin, and I don't see you on here as much anymore, but I wanted to go back on this topic of Brandon Thompson, who I was not a real big fan of and said he was more of a penetrator then a run stuffer... I called him a poor man's Kevin Williams from Minnesota. Well after watching him yet again last night, I completely stand behind what I said. Thompson does well penetrating into the pockey, but he is not very stout against the run unless he is one on one with a running back! He may fit the Colts system being a penetrator, but not as a nose tackle. He also has fallend from a mid round first round pick to a early to mid second round pick. Point here, Colts need to grab Poe, and get the run stuffer they have always lacked!

So let's say Poe is gone in the first round, Thompson will be gone as well.. You have Chapman, Ta'amu, or Worthy possibly hanging around in the second round, I like Worthy and Ta'amu as possible selections.. or could always wait for Short in the third/fourth.

If that were the case,then we should go with ta'amu,because it may motivate fili and encourage him to play better.In fact,he might be a great addition.

Fili Moala needs to be cut, he is terrible. (In Charles Barkley's voice)

He's not terriable, he has his moments. Jerry Hughes has been terrible. With that said I would agree Moala has preformed below expectations two of his three years in the NFL and he's one guy I think a new GM is going to look at very carefully.

He's not terriable, he has his moments. Jerry Hughes has been terrible. With that said I would agree Moala has preformed below expectations two of his three years in the NFL and he's one guy I think a new GM is going to look at very carefully.

Very inconsistent, and thats not what you need on your team. There are a large number of DT's who have some skill but are incredibly inconsistent. Thompson would make a great penetrator and is consistent with that, he struggles against the run. Where Poe is a dominant run stopping force, but struggles some with penetration, especially with the amount of double teams he faces. I would outright cut Moala, he really is terrible.

Very inconsistent, and thats not what you need on your team. There are a large number of DT's who have some skill but are incredibly inconsistent. Thompson would make a great penetrator and is consistent with that, he struggles against the run. Where Poe is a dominant run stopping force, but struggles some with penetration, especially with the amount of double teams he faces. I would outright cut Moala, he really is terrible.

I watched Moala pretty closely this year and I didn't think he played very well. He plays too high and has trouble shedding blockers to make any plays. I think he was a 2nd round pick too. Need better player for that early a pick. Nevis will be a monster if he can stay healthy. Hope he's not a larger version of Bob Sanders. Not much injury history in college.

I watched Moala pretty closely this year and I didn't think he played very well. He plays too high and has trouble shedding blockers to make any plays. I think he was a 2nd round pick too. Need better player for that early a pick. Nevis will be a monster if he can stay healthy. Hope he's not a larger version of Bob Sanders. Not much injury history in college.

Agree 100%... Moala is better suited to play 3-4 DE 5 Technique as he did in college. Although he isn't very fast, and plays with terrible leverage for a defensive linemen. He is a waste of a roster spot on the Colts.

So I know this is an old thread Ramblin, and I don't see you on here as much anymore, but I wanted to go back on this topic of Brandon Thompson, who I was not a real big fan of and said he was more of a penetrator then a run stuffer... I called him a poor man's Kevin Williams from Minnesota. Well after watching him yet again last night, I completely stand behind what I said. Thompson does well penetrating into the pockey, but he is not very stout against the run unless he is one on one with a running back! He may fit the Colts system being a penetrator, but not as a nose tackle. He also has fallend from a mid round first round pick to a early to mid second round pick. Point here, Colts need to grab Poe, and get the run stuffer they have always lacked!

I don't really see what your watching, to me Brandon Thompson is still the same guy that I thought he was, a NT who is explosive. Just because you have a good NT doesn't mean that your run defense will be good though, especially against a wide open spread offense like West Virginia's. He played okay in the orange bowl, but he still made a few plays. I saw him shoot past the O-line several times. The Clemson defense just didn't play together, and I think Lou Holts said the coach tried to do to much on defense, and he was right.

I don't really see what your watching, to me Brandon Thompson is still the same guy that I thought he was, a NT who is explosive. Just because you have a good NT doesn't mean that your run defense will be good though, especially against a wide open spread offense like West Virginia's. He played okay in the orange bowl, but he still made a few plays. I saw him shoot past the O-line several times. The Clemson defense just didn't play together, and I think Lou Holts said the coach tried to do to much on defense, and he was right.

He is a penetrator... He is a poor man's Kevin Williams from Minnesota.. he is very similar to Nevis. Someone needs to be a run stopper, or the LB unit really strong in shooting gaps... You still take Thompson over Poe?

He is a penetrator... He is a poor man's Kevin Williams from Minnesota.. he is very similar to Nevis. Someone needs to be a run stopper, or the LB unit really strong in shooting gaps... You still take Thompson over Poe?

Yes, but I don't see why not? Brandon Thompson is more highly rated.

What about these 3 guys at NT? Nfl draft scout has them as 7th rd picks.

1. Tydreke Powell UNC 6-3 310

2. Hebron Fangupo BYU 6-1 331

3. Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor 6-2 335

I have heard really good things about Hebron Fangupo from BYU. Powell has too many stars around him...

These are the six guys i'm watching for next years draft at NT.

1. Marcus Forston- Miami

2. Jerel Worthy - Msu

3. Tydreke Powell - UNC

4. Brandon Thompson -Clemson

5. Alemeda Ta'amu - Washington

6. Micanor Regis - Miami

After watching the steelers game and watching our Dline, would like a NT in the draft. Regis is my sleeper. I am a hurricanes fan so i watch him every week. Any thoughts on these prospects? Anybody else i should keep a eye on?

I really like Chapman from Alabama as an anchor to the D line. I've watched only 2 or 3 Bama games this year and I don't know if I ever heard his name called for anything other than being in on a tackle but I was absolutely floored with how he played in the middle, the guy was practically unmovable. He keeps his head up and follows the play well. The 'bama LBers made a lot of plays because Chapman was so strong and consistently occupied two and sometimes three blockers.