Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nt Prospects?

These are the six guys i'm watching for next years draft at NT.

1. Marcus Forston- Miami

2. Jerel Worthy - Msu

3. Tydreke Powell - UNC

4. Brandon Thompson -Clemson

5. Alemeda Ta'amu - Washington

6. Micanor Regis - Miami

After watching the steelers game and watching our Dline, would like a NT in the draft. Regis is my sleeper. I am a hurricanes fan so i watch him every week. Any thoughts on these prospects? Anybody else i should keep a eye on?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the six guys i'm watching for next years draft at NT.

1. Marcus Forston- Miami

2. Jerel Worthy - Msu

3. Tydreke Powell - UNC

4. Brandon Thompson -Clemson

5. Alemeda Ta'amu - Washington

6. Micanor Regis - Miami

After watching the steelers game and watching our Dline, would like a NT in the draft. Regis is my sleeper. I am a hurricanes fan so i watch him every week. Any thoughts on these prospects? Anybody else i should keep a eye on?

Ta'amu I think is going to drop and drop fast. He really isn't a NT. He's an overweight UT. His best chance for success, imo is to drop weight and become a better UT.

Worthy also looked more like an UT in the Michigan St games I've watched so far this year.

Haven't seen Forston, Powell or Regis play yet. Thompson is a beast and I'd love to have him. A couple to add to your list:

Jaye Howard, Florida - I've watched him play and will continue to do so but what I've seen was pretty impressive

Kendall Reyes UConn - haven't seen him play yet but have read good things about him that sounds like he could be a good fit

Kawann Short Purdue - same as Reyes.

Josh Chapman Alabama - I've seen him projected anywhere from the #1 DT taken to the middle 3rd round. I've watched one Alabama game so far and I was paying more attention to Kirkpatrick and the LBs but I'll be keeping a closer eye on Chapman the next few games I watch.

I've had opportunity to watch both Reyes and Short play though granted only one game each. Reyes had a pretty good game but did struggle at times keeping his balance. One thing I'm still iffy about is the level of competition they play. I'd like to see UConn against one of the better teams to see how he does.

Got to see Kawann Short as Purdue played Notre Dame. He wasn't horrible but he wasn't really very good either. He did make a few plays but for the most part he seemed to get man-handled by the ND OL. At this point I'd take Jaye Howard over Short because Howard, in the games I've seen, got a much more consistent push even when double blocked. Against 1 on 1 blocking he was constantly getting a push or just flat out beating his man. Short got stood up a number of times even against a 1 on 1 block.

I am very interested to watch Alabama vs. Florida but won't see it for a day or two because I'm recording the replay...too many games to record every one live and this being a higher caliber game will be broadcast several times on replay and on HD channels so that's why I chose to hold off on this one. I'm excited though because I'll get to keep a close eye on both Josh Chapman of Alabama and Jaye Howard of Florida. :)

I seen a mock draft that has us taking kheeston Randall, he is from University of Texas, not sure if he is a good prospect or not?

I'm almost positive he's an UT not a NT so he'd be playing the same position as Moala and Nevis. Randall may be able to add a few pounds of muscle and become stronger to be able to backup Mookie at NT but that remains to be seen.

So far my preferences are Brandon Thompson of Clemson, Jaye Howard of Florida, Kawann Short of Purdue and Kendall Reyes of Uconn..in that order but I honestly think I would pass on Thompson because he'll be a first round pick and in the first round there are other guys I would prefer.

What about Devon Still from Penn State? Sounds like he has been playing good this season, I haven't got to see him play.

He's another UT...don't know if he would be ale to play NT or not but he hasn't at all in college to my knowledge. In fact I'm pretty sure he played alongside Ollie Ogbu while Ogbu was still at Penn State and Ogbu was the NT.

I would like to pick up a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round, like last year. Still needs improvement, but not a huge need. Unless we get the 2nd overall pick, we go defense 1st 2nd and 3rd round.

Edited by Andy246

I would like to pick up a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round, like last year. Still needs improvement, but not a huge need. Unless we get the 2nd overall pick, we go defense 1st 2nd and 3rd round.

Yeah the ONLY way we'd go DT in the first round is to trade back...unless we go on a winning streak and wind up picking between 10-15 which is....unlikely. lol

One year i'd like the colts to have a 330 lb DT. I know people get on it's all about technique, but i'd still rather have a 330 lb dt with bad technique, then a dt that weighs 290 and has bad technique.

When healthy, we have Moala and Nevis at DT, who both have good technique.

An NT with good technique is what's hard to find. 300+ or not, bad technique is still bad technique. The good offensive linemen will move that guy out of the way whether he's 290 or 330.

I really like Nevis, i guess i'm not sold on Moala

Moala was phenomenal against the run during the last 4 games of the 2010 season. Injury is all that's holding him back right now.

Run "stuffing" and being disruptive against the run are two different things. The latter goes unnoticed because it usually results in someone other than the NT getting the tackle. They force the route a different way, and are also typically better against the pass than fat guys.

There are also FAR fewer fat guys with skill, which is why there are only a handful in the NFL.

If we end up getting the number two pick I would love to trade back, pick up an extra pick, and grab Brandon Thompson.

I think Thompson would immediately start and would improve this defense greatly. We would finally get some real push at the DT position and be more stout against the run. Him demanding attention from the OL would make things easier for our pass rush and linebackers attacking the run.

I really like Nevis, but the rest of the guys we have are just ho hum to me.

One year i'd like the colts to have a 330 lb DT. I know people get on it's all about technique, but i'd still rather have a 330 lb dt with bad technique, then a dt that weighs 290 and has bad technique.

Already happened... Terrance Taylor in 2009. He couldn't even make it out of training camp....

According to the Michigan State depth chart, Kevin Pickelman and Anthony Rashad White are their NT rotation.

From what I've read on Worthy, he is a good at holding the point of attack and occupying blockers, but he hasn't made as much of an impact at getting into the backfield like he was expected too. That seems like a NT to me with the potential to become a good pass rusher. That sounds like a great fit for the colts defense if I am remembering right.

From what I've read on Worthy, he is a good at holding the point of attack and occupying blockers, but he hasn't made as much of an impact at getting into the backfield like he was expected too. That seems like a NT to me with the potential to become a good pass rusher. That sounds like a great fit for the colts defense if I am remembering right.

He could very well be. I was simply answering the question

I thought that Jerel Worthy was a NT anyways.

not...could he be a NT in our system based on his skill set. :) I would prefer Brandon Thompson if they're going to spend a first round pick on DT. If Worthy is still there at the top of the 2nd and they feel his skill set would work well for a NT in our system then by all means I have no problem bringing him in. I'd want to compare him to Josh Chapman and maybe even Dontari Poe, who are both considered 2nd round, to make sure one of them isn't a better fit though.

Kawan Short is sure moving up draft boards, early round 3 kind to me. I am liking him a lot.

I've wanted to watch more of him than I've been able to but just haven't had opportunity to see very much of him. In the small amount I did see, I wasn't really blown away but I wasn't unimpressed either like I have been with a few players. Short is on my short-list (ha, no pun intended) of mid round DTs but I've seen more of Jaye Howard and have liked what I've seen from him. Kendall Reyes is there too but I'm less certain about him due to level of competition. I know a lot of people don't like the "level of competition" argument but it is more relevant to some positions than others. Reyes isn't exactly going against the same caliber of OL that guys like Short and Howard are so that's one reason I'm still iffy on him.

For some reason, we get the short end of the Purdue players stick. Other teams get the Ortons, Brees, Shaun Philips, Spencer (Cowboys), Matt Light, Cliff Avril etc. while we get stuck with Gilbert Gardner and Curtis Painter, LOL.

Edited by chad72

I cant see the colts really addressing the NT in this draft. There is no game changer the colts can grab unless they use the 1st. which i dont think any deserves as much as Manti Te'o. I dont know who is available in FA but that is where they need to grab the NT in my opinion. From what ive heard the dolphins might let Paul Soliai walk after this season. He has been a NT for the dolphins in a 3-4 defense last couple of years. And at 6ft4 350lbs he is no small guy. This could be the guy the colts target. With Soliai, te'o instant starters on the Defense the only thing the front 7 is missing is the 3rd DE. Huges has failed to be that guy and the colts NEED someone else to get after the QB with Freeney and Mathis on the sidelines. But we cant fix all the problems in one year. To fix up the back end of the D we use the early 2nd rounders they collect from trading out of the top 3 yet still getting Te'o. This years DB class is filled with depth. 4-5 first round talents easy. Some are bound to fall.

• 2 weeks later...

I cant see the colts really addressing the NT in this draft. There is no game changer the colts can grab unless they use the 1st.

Hate to say it but I agree with this. Would we want to use a first round pick on a NT that plays the first 2 downs primarily if he is not a game changer?

I would wait till round 3 or 4 to address the NT position, that is just me.

There is no doubt more quality depth exists and not as many impact nose tackles which is very unfortunate, especially since we will have the first pick in the draft! Where is our Suh! I think in the second round the Colts should take Dontari Poe from Memphis NT. This is a 6’5” 350 pound athletic beast! They are comparing this guy to Shaun Rodgers!

Hate to say it but I agree with this. Would we want to use a first round pick on a NT that plays the first 2 downs primarily if he is not a game changer?

I would wait till round 3 or 4 to address the NT position, that is just me.

I would say 2 guys that have the most potential to be game changers at NT for us in this draft are Brandon Thompson of Clemson and Jerel Worthy of Michigan State. Thompson has played very well this year and from what I've read he is great at attacking multiple blockers and is explosive at getting into the backfield. I've also read that Worthy is good at holding the point of attack against multiple blockers, but that he hasn't become a disruptive force in the backfield yet. Give him some good coaching and he could turn out into a great player for us.

Thompson is more of a mid 1st round guy and Worthy is a late 1st round to early 2nd rounder so far.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

I would say 2 guys that have the most potential to be game changers at NT for us in this draft are Brandon Thompson of Clemson and Jerel Worthy of Michigan State. Thompson has played very well this year and from what I've read he is great at attacking multiple blockers and is explosive at getting into the backfield. I've also read that Worthy is good at holding the point of attack against multiple blockers, but that he hasn't become a disruptive force in the backfield yet. Give him some good coaching and he could turn out into a great player for us.

Thompson is more of a mid 1st round guy and Worthy is a late 1st round to early 2nd rounder so far.

If either of these guys last till our 2nd round pick, I'd take them in a heartbeat but chances are, they won't.

I just do not see us trading down from the No.1 or No.2 pick unless Peyton comes back, I just do not, and we will most likely go QB with it. Would I like them to do it? Yes, but given the Polians' history of drafting Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning in round 1, I expect a QB as well if we are sitting at No.1 or No.2

If we are No.3 or higher, I can definitely see it, the trade down to pick up additional picks.

If either of these guys last till our 2nd round pick, I'd take them in a heartbeat but chances are, they won't.

I just do not see us trading down from the No.1 or No.2 pick unless Peyton comes back, I just do not, and we will most likely go QB with it. Would I like them to do it? Yes, but given the Polians' history of drafting Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning in round 1, I expect a QB as well if we are sitting at No.1 or No.2

If we are No.3 or higher, I can definitely see it, the trade down to pick up additional picks.

Oh... I definitely think that Peyton will come back healthy and better than ever. That's why I think that trading back is such a good idea. But I think that we will trade back from #2 overall, not #1 because we aren't the worst team in the NFL by far.

I think that Cleveland would be a great trading partner for us. They need a top WR, and as much as I want Alshon Jeffery, I'd rather have the colts trade back and get Morris Claiborne, Brandon Thompson, and Ray Ray Armstrong.

If Cleveland gets the 8th, 20th (From the Falcons), and 40th picks in the 2012 draft, then that is a similar value to the 2nd overall pick for the colts. Teams will probably be wanting to trade up to get Matt Barkley or Landry Jones with the 2nd overall pick so there will be competition for the Browns. That would allow us the ability to try to draft Claiborne, Thompson, and either Armstrong or Mark Barron.

Don't forget, we would still have the 34th pick to draft another talented player for this football team, someone like OT/OG Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State to solidify the O-line.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7

Yeah ummm, the Colts are by far the worst team in the NFL and its not even close! Miami lacks a QB and a consistent running game, but they have a good defense, the Colts have nothing good, I can't possibly fathom how you see any team worse than the Colts. But I love your trade down idea, except we will be trading down from pick number one.

Yeah ummm, the Colts are by far the worst team in the NFL and its not even close! Miami lacks a QB and a consistent running game, but they have a good defense, the Colts have nothing good, I can't possibly fathom how you see any team worse than the Colts. But I love your trade down idea, except we will be trading down from pick number one.

What I see is a talented team that is being held down by predictability and uncreativity. If Caldwell, Coyer, and Christensen will just start coaching better, then we will see a big improvement. The only big weakness on this team right now is the secondary. SS and CB are immediate needs, but picks like NT and OG are minor needs that will help to make this that much better.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7