Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Updated Predictions

jackbutton96

my updated prediction:

We get first pick, trade it to Cleveland for their 2 first round picks, the #5 pick and the #17 pick (from ATL, who is gonna have a terrible season this year and finish 8-8), along with Josh Cribbs. We'll select Alshon Jeffery, WR from South Carolina with the #5 and Trent Richardson, RB from Alabama with the #17 pick. We will then select Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia(6'5", 348 lbs) with our 2nd round pick and then trade our 3rd and 5th round picks to move up to the middle 2nd round and select Ben Jones, C from Georgia(6'3", 316 lbs). We will then trade our 4th, 6th, and 7th round picks to move up to the early third round and select Kellen Moore, QB from Boise State.

We will address our defensive needs via free agency by acquiring: Tracey Porter - CB from the Saints, LaRon Landry - S from the Redskins, and Paul Soliai - DT from the Dolphins(6'4", 355 lbs).

We will resign Reggie Wayne and Robert Mathis. We won't resign Ryan Diem, Pierre Garcon, or Anthony Gonzalez. Jeff Saturday will retire. We will cut Donald Brown and Gary Brackett.

Cordy Glenn and Ben Jones will move right into the starting lineup, giving us an o-line of: Castanzo and Reitz on the left side, Jones in the middle, and Glenn and Ijalana on the right side. The unit will quickly assert themselves as one of the top offensive lines in the NFL. Alshon Jeffery will move right into the #2 WR spot behind Wayne, with Collie, Cribbs, and White filling out the rest of the WR corps. Trent Richardson will not start, but will actually get more carries/game than Addai, sharing the load with him and Carter at 50/40/10.

The free agent acquisitions will all be starters, giving us a defensive lineup of: Freeney, Soliai, Nevis, and Mathis on the d-line, Conner, Angerer, and Wheeler at the linebackers, Powers and Porter at the cornerbacks, and Bethea and Landry at the safeties.

Josh Cribbs will instantly turn us from one of the worst special teams in the league to one of the most dangerous.

Then, after reaggravating his neck injury during the preseason, Peyton Manning will announcement his retirement just days before the regular season starts. mod edit Just kidding, then we go on to be one of the best teams in the league again for the remainder of Mannings career, which will be another 5 years. In that time, we will win 3 consecutive superbowls, have an off year where we loss in the divisional round of the playoffs, and then win another superbowl (Manning's last game). Manning will get 2 more league MVPs, 3 more superbowl MVPs, and break all of the major career passing records. In 2013, he will throw for and 55 TDs (25 to Alshon Jeffery) which will break Tom Brady's record for passing tds in a season and Randy Moss' record for receiving tds in a season. Colts will go down as one of the greatest dynastys in NFL history, and Manning will unequivacably go down as THE GREATEST player in the history of football.

A bunch of questions that I have:

Why would we go with an RB when we have Addai and Carter.

The Redksins aren't trading arguably their best defensive player who has the most trade value. Porter ain't going anywhere.

We can't not resign Garcon and Gonzo, that leaves us with like 3 receivers. We sign Garcon and let Gonzo walk and he'll get picked up by the Raiders.

If anything Pollak will take over at center, and I would be surprised to see Reitz become a starter again. He's pretty good, but I don't think he's a starter.

The Browns aren't getting rid of Josh Cribbs, who is one of their best receivers, plus their special teams. Too much value. Brackett ain't going anywhere either, he signed a 5 year deal last year, and the Colts will ride that contract until the end, then cut him after it's done.

Don't see Manning going to a rookie WR that much, and Manning has about 3, if he's lucky 4 years left, definitely not 5.

Love the enthusiasm about the 2 MVPs and the record breaking predictions, but in this day and age, especially Manning's age, and an ever improving running agme, don't see him even getting past 35 TDs in any of his remaining seasons.

*Dont worry it's only Week 3, so you dot time kiddo :thmup:

A bunch of questions that I have:

Why would we go with an RB when we have Addai and Carter.

Because he's wicked good, man! Addai and Carter are looking very good, but add Richardson to that mix and we'd have about the strongest RB corps in the league. And with that many talented and capable RBs, everybody stays fresh. I see us making alot of moves towards becoming a much more run heavy, physical, and powerful offense.

The Redksins aren't trading arguably their best defensive player who has the most trade value. Porter ain't going anywhere.

Landry is going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, so the Redskins have no say over what he decides to do. Same with Porter, and why wouldn't he want to come here?

We can't not resign Garcon and Gonzo, that leaves us with like 3 receivers. We sign Garcon and let Gonzo walk and he'll get picked up by the Raiders.

Garcon is a dropped pass machine, and we don't need players that choke in critical moments. Gonzo is expendable. In my scenario we'd be drafting a WR with our top pick and also getting Cribbs, so we'd be set at WR without either of the aforementioned stooges.

If anything Pollak will take over at center, and I would be surprised to see Reitz become a starter again. He's pretty good, but I don't think he's a starter.

I don't know man, I like what I've seen from Reitz. I think he's showing alot of promise. Pollack will be a suitable versatile backup for us.

The Browns aren't getting rid of Josh Cribbs, who is one of their best receivers, plus their special teams. Too much value. Brackett ain't going anywhere either, he signed a 5 year deal last year, and the Colts will ride that contract until the end, then cut him after it's done.

I think some teams will be desperate to get their hands on Andrew Luck, and after what we saw the Falcons give up to the Browns for the 6th pick, I could definitely see us getting two first rounders plus Cribbs. I think the Browns will have to seriously consider making us an offer, considering Luck's worth, and our willingness to deal the pick, and their position of having more to offer than most teams in that they have 2 first round picks this year. As far as Brackett, he's gonna have a poor season and it'll be apparent that we'd be much better served to spend his $5 million salary on free agents that'll be much more productive.

Don't see Manning going to a rookie WR that much, and Manning has about 3, if he's lucky 4 years left, definitely not 5.

Love the enthusiasm about the 2 MVPs and the record breaking predictions, but in this day and age, especially Manning's age, and an ever improving running agme, don't see him even getting past 35 TDs in any of his remaining seasons.

I think we're gonna become a very physical, run oriented offense in the years to come, which will extend Manning's career. The success of the run game will open up the play-action passing game for us much more, which will lead to the high stat numbers for Manning. And Manning will throw to whoever is open, rookie or not. Besides, I said in 2013 so he'd be a second year receiver then.

*Dont worry it's only Week 3, so you dot time kiddo :thmup:

I agree with Andy that there's no way we get Josh Cribbs from Cleveland as well. IMO Cleveland would be a tough deal because of McCoy but a lot of that will depend on what kind of year he has. I could, however, see them trading up to get Alshon Jeffrey to give McCoy that elite target...I think this is more likely than them coming up for Luck but you never know. If they were going to move up for Luck and include a player in the trade it would most likely be McCoy. So I do think deal with Cleveland is possible but more likely from a 2-4 spot than #1. So if we wound up with #1 then we could trade down to the #2-4 (whoever wants a QB most) and get an extra 2nd and maybe a 4th out of the deal...possibly more considering the current draft pick charts are considered outdated and you can actually get more value in trade ups than using those charts due to the rookie cap restrictions.

So we started with the #1 pick and traded down to #3 and acquired that same team's 3rd round pick this year and their 2nd round pick next year...and this is actually spot on according to the draft pick charts. First round pick is worth 3000 points and the first, second and third round picks at the #3 spot combine for 3005....so keep that in mind for calling me crazy :P. I don't think they would give up 3 early picks this year though which is why I said the 2nd would be in next year's draft.

So, in the first round we have #3 pick, in the second round we have #1, in the 3rd round we have #1 and #3.

A Cleveland trade here doesn't work unless they're a little further down and to be honest I don't think they'll be bad anyway. I think they could go 6-10 which, according to last year, would put them somewhere between picks 8-13. In this scenario it could easily work because Jeffrey likely won't make it out of the top 5 or 6. I think we could get their 2 first round picks (i have their first at pick 8 and you had their second at pick 17..though I think the falcons will do much better than that) and we could also get their 4th plus probably a pick or 2 next year.

Now we have: the #8 (Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama) and #17 (Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson) picks in the first round, the #1 (Nick Foles, QB Arizona) pick in the second round, the #1 (Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina) and #3 (Best OL available) picks in the third round, and the #1 (Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame) and #8 (Nigel Bradham, OLB, FSU) in the 4th round...plus the #1 picks in 5-7 rounds (Jack Crawford DE Penn State; Derek Moye, WR, Penn State; and best OL available...respectively).

One can dream right? lol

Edit: If Lefeged or Caldwell can become a true starter for us at SS, then the other and/or Bullit would be depth and the SS position wouldn't need to be addressed in the 4th round with Harrison Smith. In place of Smith I would want either Kendall Reyes, Kawann Short or Jaye Howard...all DT's from UConn, Purdue and Florida respectively.

I agree with Andy that there's no way we get Josh Cribbs from Cleveland as well. IMO Cleveland would be a tough deal because of McCoy but a lot of that will depend on what kind of year he has. I could, however, see them trading up to get Alshon Jeffrey to give McCoy that elite target...I think this is more likely than them coming up for Luck but you never know. If they were going to move up for Luck and include a player in the trade it would most likely be McCoy. So I do think deal with Cleveland is possible but more likely from a 2-4 spot than #1. So if we wound up with #1 then we could trade down to the #2-4 (whoever wants a QB most) and get an extra 2nd and maybe a 4th out of the deal...possibly more considering the current draft pick charts are considered outdated and you can actually get more value in trade ups than using those charts due to the rookie cap restrictions.

So we started with the #1 pick and traded down to #3 and acquired that same team's 3rd round pick this year and their 2nd round pick next year...and this is actually spot on according to the draft pick charts. First round pick is worth 3000 points and the first, second and third round picks at the #3 spot combine for 3005....so keep that in mind for calling me crazy :P. I don't think they would give up 3 early picks this year though which is why I said the 2nd would be in next year's draft.

So, in the first round we have #3 pick, in the second round we have #1, in the 3rd round we have #1 and #3.

A Cleveland trade here doesn't work unless they're a little further down and to be honest I don't think they'll be bad anyway. I think they could go 6-10 which, according to last year, would put them somewhere between picks 8-13. In this scenario it could easily work because Jeffrey likely won't make it out of the top 5 or 6. I think we could get their 2 first round picks (i have their first at pick 8 and you had their second at pick 17..though I think the falcons will do much better than that) and we could also get their 4th plus probably a pick or 2 next year.

Now we have: the #8 (Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama) and #17 (Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson) picks in the first round, the #1 (Nick Foles, QB Arizona) pick in the second round, the #1 (Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina) and #3 (Best OL available) picks in the third round, and the #1 (Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame) and #8 (Nigel Bradham, OLB, FSU) in the 4th round...plus the #1 picks in 5-7 rounds (Jack Crawford DE Penn State; Derek Moye, WR, Penn State; and best OL available...respectively).

One can dream right? lol

Edit: If Lefeged or Caldwell can become a true starter for us at SS, then the other and/or Bullit would be depth and the SS position wouldn't need to be addressed in the 4th round with Harrison Smith. In place of Smith I would want either Kendall Reyes, Kawann Short or Jaye Howard...all DT's from UConn, Purdue and Florida respectively.

Nice scenario, I like it. I'd definitely like to see us get a top notch playmaking WR to eventually inherit the #1 roll from Wayne. Manning deserves it!

How did I end up on a Madden forum?

For the record, every trade scenario I proposed is fully in line with the current draft pick charts. And as I said, even these are considered out-dated now due to the rookie salary cap and teams are likely to receive even more in compensation that what they'd be expected to get according to the chart, if my understanding is correct.

Yeah, ok, but The Colts.... Trade.

You tell me what's wrong with that picture.

We traded a 5th for Tryon last year, and NASA scientists worked for 15 days straight to make sure the earth was still turning the right direction...

We've also never been as active in free agency as we were this year. It's Chris now not Bill. I'm sure Bill has veto power but he gave day to day control to Chris so I think it'd take a lot for Bill to try to pull rank. Also, Colts, or any team really, has never been in a position where they had a very talented team who had a horribly year due to Peyton being out and winding up with the #1 pick. There are a lot of variables that come in to play and that just makes it all the more interesting and fun to speculate imo. :D

We've also only twice in the 2000's drafted an Offensive lineman in the first 3 rounds and those were in 07 with Ugoh in the second round and 08 with Pollack in the second round. This past draft we took OL in the first and second rounds so that is also out of the ordinary for the Colts. I'm just saying, I don't think we can include draft and trade tendencies from the past to the current situation because Chris and Bill clearly don't operate exactly the same. :)

I just don't see Brackett having that bad of a year. He already has 2 picks, or 1? The guy makes plays and logic tells me he's not going to be cut like that. Then figure in the Colts historically struggle with LB depth, they're not going to let a probowler go because Angerer is playing well.

I know that a forum like this is just a place to express our views and, in this case fantasies. The only team that will trade multiple first and other picks for the #1 next year are teams that are desperate for a qb. Cleveland is not one of them. Colt McCoy is playing very well for them. Dream on, but don't mistake your fantasies for reality.

Again..if you have the no. 1 pick you take Luck, end of discussion. this is such a no brainer it's not even funny. You do exactly what GB did, you get your QB, you let him learn under a great QB and in 3-4 years he is your QB. QB's on Luck's level don't come around very often, you don't trade the pick, you take Luck.

The contract for Luck would be wasted money, he will be on the sideline with a headset and clipboard, plenty of good talent at QB to be drafted later in the second round (Barkley and Jones). Where they would come cheaper, have upside, and could be groomed, the rodgers example is not good he was taken towards the end of the first round! Trade back acquire multiple picks this year and next. DRAFT KALIL first pick, he plays LT move Castonzo to RT and Ijalana to G, this move puts bookends at tackle and sure ups the offensive line. Next two picks (first, second and or two seconds) hopefully if still available take Alameda Ta'Amu DT Washington and one of the remaining WR's, probably FLOYD! This sures up the offensive line for Manning, brings a replacement for Wayne and play maker on the outside, and addresses the glaring need for a run stuffing DT!

The contract for Luck would be wasted money, he will be on the sideline with a headset and clipboard, plenty of good talent at QB to be drafted later in the second round (Barkley and Jones). Where they would come cheaper, have upside, and could be groomed, the rodgers example is not good he was taken towards the end of the first round! Trade back acquire multiple picks this year and next. DRAFT KALIL first pick, he plays LT move Castonzo to RT and Ijalana to G, this move puts bookends at tackle and sure ups the offensive line. Next two picks (first, second and or two seconds) hopefully if still available take Alameda Ta'Amu DT Washington and one of the remaining WR's, probably FLOYD! This sures up the offensive line for Manning, brings a replacement for Wayne and play maker on the outside, and addresses the glaring need for a run stuffing DT!

I know that a forum like this is just a place to express our views and, in this case fantasies. The only team that will trade multiple first and other picks for the #1 next year are teams that are desperate for a qb. Cleveland is not one of them. Colt McCoy is playing very well for them. Dream on, but don't mistake your fantasies for reality.

I gotcha, man. Fantasies are surely fun, though. But I'm not sold that Cleveland won't want to make a move for Luck. McCoy is a decent QB but I'm pretty sure the Browns realize that's all he's ever gonna amount to. This isn't exactly the same scenario, but the Chargers had Drew Brees and still drafted Eli Manning (which they then traded for Phillip Rivers) because they were in a position to acquire a special QB when they already had a decent one (little did they know he'd turn out the way he did). Cleveland won't have the top pick, but they'll be in a position to acquire it if they want, so we'll see... Whether or not the Colts end up with the top pick, I won't be surprised if we hear trade rumors come draft time about the Browns inquiring about acquiring the top pick from whoever has it.

I understand the people thinking about getting the #1 overall pick and drafting Luck, I've said the same thing, IMO it would be completely nonsensical to NOT draft Luck. But coming up with all these different trade scenario's, FA signings, and guessing picks thru rd. 7 is crazy. This is week 4 and the draft is about 8 mos. away. So much is going to change between now and then that nobody has any clue at all what will actually happen. Chances are we won't get one person that has been mentioned in this thread or any other one discussing prospects. Some of the trade scenario's I've seen suggested here just makes me wonder if 95% of the posters have ever even watched or paid attention to the NFL at all.

We are talking elite vs. good, you don't pass on elite. You have the chance to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck over the next 4-5 years. Again draft choices like that don't come around very often, if the Colts have the number 1 pick and don't take Luck then you can bank on this right here and now that the stadium will have many empty seats in the coming years.

We are talking elite vs. good, you don't pass on elite. You have the chance to go from Peyton Manning to Andrew Luck over the next 4-5 years. Again draft choices like that don't come around very often, if the Colts have the number 1 pick and don't take Luck then you can bank on this right here and now that the stadium will have many empty seats in the coming years.

I disagree. Look at Baltimore. They are a great team surrounded by an average QB. I say let's build a great team and still pick up a good QB in the second round. I have enjoyed watching Manning since he was drafted and would never trade the last several years of excellence but Indy has as many SB wins as Baltimore does since Manning has been with us and they have never had even an average QB. You get one chance to add an elite player in each draft and it comes in picks 1-10 roughly. There are usually elite players at a few positions, not just QB. Add the elite talent that will help Manning now and the team in the future. Add a good QB with a ton of potential and teach him what he needs to know over the next 4 years. Build a great team around Manning now and it will be here for the next QB in the future. This team as it is now is only great because of Manning and many agree that no other QB would be able to put this team on his shoulders every year the way Manning does. What are the odds an unproven college kid will be able to do the same? You are taking arguably the Greatest of all time and saying he is replaceble and the team will continue on? I say Manning is the one piece of this team that we will never replace so let's make the team better so the next QB can succeed.

I disagree. Look at Baltimore. They are a great team surrounded by an average QB. I say let's build a great team and still pick up a good QB in the second round. I have enjoyed watching Manning since he was drafted and would never trade the last several years of excellence but Indy has as many SB wins as Baltimore does since Manning has been with us and they have never had even an average QB. You get one chance to add an elite player in each draft and it comes in picks 1-10 roughly. There are usually elite players at a few positions, not just QB. Add the elite talent that will help Manning now and the team in the future. Add a good QB with a ton of potential and teach him what he needs to know over the next 4 years. Build a great team around Manning now and it will be here for the next QB in the future. This team as it is now is only great because of Manning and many agree that no other QB would be able to put this team on his shoulders every year the way Manning does. What are the odds an unproven college kid will be able to do the same? You are taking arguably the Greatest of all time and saying he is replaceble and the team will continue on? I say Manning is the one piece of this team that we will never replace so let's make the team better so the next QB can succeed.

If Luck was just another QB I would agree. Luck isn't, he is well on the level Peyton was when he came out. Are you saying the Colts should have passed on Peyton and traded down back then and built up other positions?

If Luck was just another QB I would agree. Luck isn't, he is well on the level Peyton was when he came out. Are you saying the Colts should have passed on Peyton and traded down back then and built up other positions?

If we had the GOAT QB on our team already and only had one SB win to show for it. If our GOAT QB still had 3-6 good years left in him then I definitely would have passed on Manning to stack the rest of the team. As I said, NO other QB in this league can do what Manning does. I don't think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, (insert any great QB now) could take this team and make them SB contenders. They could improve us by some wins, maybe get us to the playoffs but not the SB. With that in mind, do I want Luck to lead this team when Manning retires? heck no. He may be elite but that does not mean he can cover up all the weaknesses on this team. There have also been many "elite, can't miss" QBs taken 1 over all in the past that failed. I believe multiple high picks in the draft gives you a better chance to succeed instead of one pick (especially when you have the greatest QB on your team already). Plus, if you draft Luck and he sits for 4 years and his cheaper rookie contract is up he is going to want to be paid on par with other great QBs in the league eventhough he has not proven himself because his next contract will be at year 8 or 9. Then what if he flops as a starter? You have tied up a large amount of money in a position that has failed while not using that pick to garner more talent in areas of need. I like Luck. He may be a special QB but the Colts will not be picking this high again for a long time (we all hope). They have to make this years draft count more than any other and it must improve the overall team. Andrew Luck will not improve this team at all for 3-6 years depending on when Manning decides to retire.

I just don't see Brackett having that bad of a year. He already has 2 picks, or 1? The guy makes plays and logic tells me he's not going to be cut like that. Then figure in the Colts historically struggle with LB depth, they're not going to let a probowler go because Angerer is playing well.

Now I could have just blocked it from my memory, but when did Brackett play in a pro-bowl? I'm assuming if he ever did it was as a 5th or 6th alternate. He is NOT a pro bowl caliber MLB....imo. He's a Nickel LB at best. :)

I agree that the Browns are far less likely to move up for Luck, but I do think they'd at least give very strong consideration to moving up for Alshon Jeffrey, who is being touted as Calvin Johnson 2.0

Again..if you have the no. 1 pick you take Luck, end of discussion. this is such a no brainer it's not even funny. You do exactly what GB did, you get your QB, you let him learn under a great QB and in 3-4 years he is your QB. QB's on Luck's level don't come around very often, you don't trade the pick, you take Luck.

Ugh, the Favre/Rodgers comparison yet again. The colts drafting Luck at #1 is a far different scenario than the Favre/Rodgers comparison except in the incredibly superficial comparison of a team drafting their next franchise QB. There is way more to it than that. Here, I'm pasting this from another thread:

It is simply not the same situation. There were concerns about Rodgers coming out of college. His mechanics needed work. He was not considered nfl-ready. If he had been then he would have been drafted in the top 5 and would have been starting from day 1. Since he wasn't nfl-ready, he was drafted at the end of the first round and the issues with his mechanics were coached and he improved. That is why he is now the caliber of QB he is today. The same thing could be done with Matt Barkley, Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Kellen Moore or Kirk Cousins and none of these guys (with the possible exception of Barkley) would require a top 5 pick. Drafting Foles, Tannehill, Moore or Cousins WOULD be comparable to the Packers drafting Rodgers. Taking Luck #1 overall is an entirely different situation.

Already addressed this in another thread, but in case not everyone is following both threads:

Jones and Barkley will be drafted in the top 20, probably even the top 10

Ta'amu is not a NT. He lines up at NT but his play is that of an UT. His best bet is to lose weight and become a better UT. Otherwise I could see him slipping way down the draft. Way better choices for us than Ta'amu.

Kalil: we don't need another tackle since we used 1st and 2nd round picks last year on Castanzo and Ijalana. We can get a quality guard or center in the second or third round

If we had the GOAT QB on our team already and only had one SB win to show for it. If our GOAT QB still had 3-6 good years left in him then I definitely would have passed on Manning to stack the rest of the team. As I said, NO other QB in this league can do what Manning does. I don't think Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, (insert any great QB now) could take this team and make them SB contenders. They could improve us by some wins, maybe get us to the playoffs but not the SB. With that in mind, do I want Luck to lead this team when Manning retires? heck no. He may be elite but that does not mean he can cover up all the weaknesses on this team. There have also been many "elite, can't miss" QBs taken 1 over all in the past that failed. I believe multiple high picks in the draft gives you a better chance to succeed instead of one pick (especially when you have the greatest QB on your team already). Plus, if you draft Luck and he sits for 4 years and his cheaper rookie contract is up he is going to want to be paid on par with other great QBs in the league eventhough he has not proven himself because his next contract will be at year 8 or 9. Then what if he flops as a starter? You have tied up a large amount of money in a position that has failed while not using that pick to garner more talent in areas of need. I like Luck. He may be a special QB but the Colts will not be picking this high again for a long time (we all hope). They have to make this years draft count more than any other and it must improve the overall team. Andrew Luck will not improve this team at all for 3-6 years depending on when Manning decides to retire.

so you are saying that between the time we draft Luck and Luck becomes the everyday QB the overall team can't be improved? Luck won't see the field for atleast 3-4 seasons, that is a number of drafts to rework the team don't you think?

so you are saying that between the time we draft Luck and Luck becomes the everyday QB the overall team can't be improved? Luck won't see the field for atleast 3-4 seasons, that is a number of drafts to rework the team don't you think?

As we have seen over the last decade, it is hard to greatly improve a team when you are consistently picking at the 30 spot. If we trade the top pick for the chance to get 3 players in the 8-40 spot, you can do a heck of a lot more to improve your team instead of trying to find diamonds in the rough every year in late rounds and free agency.

The Colts build their team through the draft. Unless that mentality changes and we start seeing success in free agency, we will not have a greatly improved team when Luck is set to start because Manning will have us back to picking players in the later stages of each round.

Again, this is hopefully a one time chance to get 2-3 impact players on this team now to help Manning win and they will be around later to help the new guy win. Luck will add nothing to this team for at least 4 years if Manning is healthy. If Manning's contract is up and he is still playing at a high level, he may want to go for another couple years if we have a great team around him. Then what can we get for a unproven QB who has been sitting on the bench for 4 years if we decide to trade him? Not near what you can get when the hype machine is in full force this year.

However, if we're in a position to take Luck then that means we're at #1 overall. I'm not sure that there has ever been a team with so much overall talent but with a few remaining glaring holes been in a position to draft #1 overall. If we use that #1 pick on any one player, then we miss the opportunity to draft down just a little bit (5-15 range but staying as high as possible) and also acquire several additional picks, including a very likely additional first round pick for next year. We can still get a very talented QB who is still somewhat raw and has some issues with throwing motion, footwork etc (this was the case with Aaron Rodgers, btw ;) ) and let THAT guy ride the bench for 2-3 years without having to pay him nearly as much money (not as much of a factor now with the rookie cap but still we would save considerable money) and we would still have the #1 pick in the second round and each later round as well as additional high draft picks in probably 2 or 3 mid to late rounds as well from the trade down. We could potentially acquire 3-4 new starters or at the very least great depth at positions where we need it like CB, DT and WR...and we still have our QB of the future who will be polished and groomed by Manning PLUS we have 2 first round picks next year.

Regardless of the scenario, I think most would agree that once Manning comes back, this team goes back to being a 10+ win team and we go back to drafting at the end of the round instead of the beginning. Though with the trade scenario, we wind up with that second first round pick for next year which could be anywhere depending on how well the team we trade with plays. :)

With the new CBA in place I just don't see teams giving up multiple picks for the number 1 pick. Now I don't think the Colts will have the number 1 pick, I see it going to either KC, Cincy or maybe even Miami or Minn. So of those teams no question KC and Miami would jump all over Luck...so I say our chances of getting him are slim.

As we have seen over the last decade, it is hard to greatly improve a team when you are consistently picking at the 30 spot. If we trade the top pick for the chance to get 3 players in the 8-40 spot, you can do a heck of a lot more to improve your team instead of trying to find diamonds in the rough every year in late rounds and free agency.

The Colts build their team through the draft. Unless that mentality changes and we start seeing success in free agency, we will not have a greatly improved team when Luck is set to start because Manning will have us back to picking players in the later stages of each round.

Again, this is hopefully a one time chance to get 2-3 impact players on this team now to help Manning win and they will be around later to help the new guy win. Luck will add nothing to this team for at least 4 years if Manning is healthy. If Manning's contract is up and he is still playing at a high level, he may want to go for another couple years if we have a great team around him. Then what can we get for a unproven QB who has been sitting on the bench for 4 years if we decide to trade him? Not near what you can get when the hype machine is in full force this year.

If we had the number 1 overall pick, that means we will already have 2 picks in the top 40. Are you suggesting that 1 more guy in the top 40 is going to be the deciding factor in becoming a great team? What if Manning comes back next season and reinjures his neck again and has to retire? When you have a chance to draft your future for the next 15 yrs. it is downright irresponsible not to do it.

If we had the number 1 overall pick, that means we will already have 2 picks in the top 40. Are you suggesting that 1 more guy in the top 40 is going to be the deciding factor in becoming a great team? What if Manning comes back next season and reinjures his neck again and has to retire? When you have a chance to draft your future for the next 15 yrs. it is downright irresponsible not to do it.

Let me ask you this, what do you think Manning would prefer that we do? Do you think he'd rather have us add multiple players to the team that can help us win now, or do you think he wants us add a guy that'll be riding the bench until he (Manning) retires?

Let me ask you this, what do you think Manning would prefer that we do? Do you think he'd rather have us add multiple players to the team that can help us win now, or do you think he wants us add a guy that'll be riding the bench until he (Manning) retires?

To tell you the truth, Manning don't make the personel decisions, so it wouldn't really matter what he wanted. Don't you think he's wanted a really good defense for the last 10 yrs.? That hasn't happened yet either, has it? Manning will be 36 yrs. old next yr. coming off a serious neck surgery that could very easily turn into a long term issue with 1 bad hit. It's time Colts fans stop thinking that Manning is an invincible robot that will always be back. He's human with injury concerns at an age when most QB's start going downhill quickly.

There's no reason we can't do both. We can trade back and still get a very talented, highly regarded QB prospect. Andrew Luck is not the only QB prospect and overall I've yet to be convinced he's the best. Granted no one cares what I think but I have a feeling the scouts, recruiters and rest of the Front Office will look at every aspect of each QB's game and not just go by the media hype that Luck is the best.

I am all for us drafting Kalil. I like the idea of putting him at LT and moving Castanzo over to the right side and kicking Ijanala inside. Even if Luck is the most sure thing to come out of College since Manning, there's not telling if he can actually do the things that Manning does. We've been lucky to have Manning on our side, but let's face it, we might have to become an "ordinary" team when he's gone. No more audibles, no more hurry up offense, no more no huddles, no more catching the defense off sides or with too many people on the field. So if we sure up that O Line then that gives us a better chance to protect whoever is behind center and to RUN THE BALL -- something we have not been accustomed to. I'm all for giving Manning the pieces he needs to win at least one more Super Bowl before he retires. And if we build the team correctly, then we ought to be able to win with a mediocre quarterback. As many of you have said that "guys like Luck don't come out of college that often." But there's still guys like Brady, Brees, Rogers, Rivers (hate the guy) and a lot of up and coming talent. To me, the key isn't finding that one guy, it's finding the right guy to develop in the system. There will be time to take a quarterback. There may be another Luck somewhere down the line. Another gem like Brady in the later part of the draft. You've just got too look, do your homework and make sure that fits the game plan and not force him into a situation that he's no comfortable with. So I say we grab Kalil with that top pick of ours (assuming he's within reach) so that we can really bolster that O Line and make it one of the best in the bizz. Then we attack defense. With such a high probability of us picking so high up in the draft, there are sure to be guys that we can grab in the second and third rounds that can improve our D. Nevis is proving that he deserves to start. Maybe grab someone to play alongside him. Address the secondary: obviously that is an area of our game that needs improvement. Safety, corner, whichever.

Now to completely throw away my argument -- would I be upset if Indy drafted Luck? No way.