Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kraft singled out by NFL Players

ViriLudant

The best owner, in my opinion, in the NFL, for many, many reasons, but here's an important reason:

From Peter King's MMQB:

One more note on this: Several from the players' side singled out Patriots owner Bob Kraft for his role in getting momentum going when there was very little last spring. As one of the key members of the players' side told me: "He told us, 'I'm not going to hope either side makes a bad deal, because then our relationship suffers, and then the whole business suffers. And my family's going to own this team for years and years. We want to see it healthy for both sides.' That registered with us. He's a real deal-maker.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/07/24/labor/index.html#ixzz1T8Qee1c0

The best owner, in my opinion, in the NFL, for many, many reasons, but here's an important reason:

From Peter King's MMQB:

One more note on this: Several from the players' side singled out Patriots owner Bob Kraft for his role in getting momentum going when there was very little last spring. As one of the key members of the players' side told me: "He told us, 'I'm not going to hope either side makes a bad deal, because then our relationship suffers, and then the whole business suffers. And my family's going to own this team for years and years. We want to see it healthy for both sides.' That registered with us. He's a real deal-maker.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/07/24/labor/index.html#ixzz1T8Qee1c0

This is why they needed guys like Kraft in the discussion not someone like Richardson. How the owners let that * any where near the negotiations is beyond me.

I have always liked Kraft as an owner. He does it the right way.

More from Saturday:

During a stream of remarks from a variety of the key figures in the NFL-NFLPA* labor deal, Colts center Jeff Saturday paid special tribute to the Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his late wife, Myra Kraft, who passed last Wednesday.

Saturday praised Mr. Kraft for continuing to attend the meetings during the final days of his wife’s life, and Saturday praised Mrs. Kraft for allowing him to do it.

Saturday was unequivocal regarding Mr. Kraft’s role in the process.

“Without him, this deal does not get done,” Saturday said. “He is a man who helped us save football.”

Saturday and Mr. Kraft then embraced, and from that point forward we’ll never look at the rivalry between the Colts and the Patriots the same way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/jeff-saturday-pays-tribute-to-bob-and-myra-kraft/

More from Saturday:

During a stream of remarks from a variety of the key figures in the NFL-NFLPA* labor deal, Colts center Jeff Saturday paid special tribute to the Patriots owner Robert Kraft and his late wife, Myra Kraft, who passed last Wednesday.

Saturday praised Mr. Kraft for continuing to attend the meetings during the final days of his wife’s life, and Saturday praised Mrs. Kraft for allowing him to do it.

Saturday was unequivocal regarding Mr. Kraft’s role in the process.

“Without him, this deal does not get done,” Saturday said. “He is a man who helped us save football.”

Saturday and Mr. Kraft then embraced, and from that point forward we’ll never look at the rivalry between the Colts and the Patriots the same way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/jeff-saturday-pays-tribute-to-bob-and-myra-kraft/

Thanks for posting good read. :dancing:

Yes, he is.

From DeMaurice Smith:

Union chief DeMaurice Smith: “I just wanted to say thanks for everyone who’s been involved in this. It’s been a very, very long process. … To echo what Jeff said about Mr. Kraft, we couldn’t have done it without you. We took a day on Friday to remember a great woman. I’m thankful for what she meant to the city of Boston and I’m especially thankful for what you mean to the game of football.”

He's not the best owner in the league, but everyone has their own opinion.

he may not be the best owner in the leaque when it comes to certain things. . . but when it comes to fans first, players first, business first, his is one of the best . . . as a fan that sat in the old Foxboro Stadium (called Schaefer when he attended games as a fan) in the bench seating in the cold NE days, he understands the fans perspective, from the business long term side, he is in this business for the long term, not just the short term glamour and $ that some owners might be in the sport for, Kraft wants to hand the team down to his kids . . . he understands that the venue should be a year round venue where fans can come and have fun, hence Patriot Place, sure he makes money from all of these things, but these are some of the things you dont find with many other franchises . . . and what makes the experience for the fans a more enyahble experience . . .

lastly, he realizes one of the key components to good negiotations in this adversarial world of ours, and that is, unless the deal is fair for both sides, it not really going to have a good long term effect and might spur resentment down the road, when deals are fair and both sides are happy,then it will have long lasting effect . . .

As a Colts fan it is easy for me to say Kraft is probably the best overall owner in the league. He really has done a great job of building a first class franchise from all aspects. Hats off to Kraft for making sure a deal got done! Maybe he can tweet the lyrics to his favorite song now.

he may not be the best owner in the leaque when it comes to certain things. . . but when it comes to fans first, players first, business first, his is one of the best . . . as a fan that sat in the old Foxboro Stadium (called Schaefer when he attended games as a fan) in the bench seating in the cold NE days, he understands the fans perspective, from the business long term side, he is in this business for the long term, not just the short term glamour and $ that some owners might be in the sport for, Kraft wants to hand the team down to his kids . . . he understands that the venue should be a year round venue where fans can come and have fun, hence Patriot Place, sure he makes money from all of these things, but these are some of the things you dont find with many other franchises . . . and what makes the experience for the fans a more enyahble experience . . .

lastly, he realizes one of the key components to good negiotations in this adversarial world of ours, and that is, unless the deal is fair for both sides, it not really going to have a good long term effect and might spur resentment down the road, when deals are fair and both sides are happy,then it will have long lasting effect . . .

Good post Yehoodi. I met Kraft once and spoke to him for about five minutes. This was back in 1995 or so. I thanked him for keeping the Patriots in New England... seems crazy to say it today, but they were pretty close to moving to St. Louis less than 20 years ago.

On top of bringing his business and negotiating savvy to the table, he did so while his wife was terminally ill. The man deserves a lot of credit no matter what color your Sunday jersey is.

Who would you say is better? If he is not the best owner he is in the top 3 without a doubt.

Oh, I definetely think that he's a great owner top 5 in the NFL, but I have to put guys like Art Blank, Jerry Jones, and Jerry Richardson, especially Richardson, he's the guy who brought the NFL to Carolina. Here's my ranking

1. As much as I don't like him: Jerry Richardson

2. Jerry Jones

3. Robert Kraft

4. Art Blank

5. Jim Irsay

Oh, I definetely think that he's a great owner top 5 in the NFL, but I have to put guys like Art Blank, Jerry Jones, and Jerry Richardson, especially Richardson, he's the guy who brought the NFL to Carolina. Here's my ranking

1. As much as I don't like him: Jerry Richardson

2. Jerry Jones

3. Robert Kraft

4. Art Blank

5. Jim Irsay

Richarson brought the NFL to Carolina. Ok, that's it? That makes him the top owner?

Jones is quickly becoming the next Al Davis.

I guess I don't understand your criteria.

Richarson brought the NFL to Carolina. Ok, that's it? That makes him the top owner?

Jones is quickly becoming the next Al Davis.

I guess I don't understand your criteria.

Richardson not only brought the league to Carolina, he worked night and day to get it there. He's a hard worker, and the only former NFL player to become an owner. I just think he's gone through more than the other owners, and knows the game better than anyone else. That's what makes him good. A former player who brought pro football to Charlotte in the mid-90s, Richardson has become a caretaker of the game. He is, as one owner describes it, a consigliere to Goodell. “Whenever there are ugly, messy disputes behind-the-scenes, Jerry’s one of the guys Roger uses to go settle it,” the owner says. “He doesn’t shoot his mouth off, he treats people with respect and everyone likes him.” Richardson’s status is illustrated by his recent appointment (along with Broncos owner Bowlen) as co-chair of the “CEC” (the NFL Management Council Executive Committee), meaning he’ll play a huge role in the upcoming labor talks. Meanwhile, team president Mark Richardson, Jerry’s second-eldest son, excels in running the Panthers’ day-to-day operations and, as a member of the NFL Network committee, is also highly regarded in league circles. The best thing about the Richardsons? Unlike some of their peers who constantly whine about their market size, they simply work hard and aim high.

You may think that jones is becoming Al Davis, but he's done much more than Davis. Al Davis never brought the SB to Oakland, Jones tried hard to do that and he did. He may not be great with the fans, but he's done a lot for his team. Given what the Joneses are in the process of accomplishing in Texas – building the greatest stadium since the Roman Colosseum – it’s difficult not ranking them No. 1. A fourth Super Bowl ring in two decades of ownership might put them over the top, and with all the talent they’re hording on the Cowboys’ current roster, they just may get one come February. Remember that when Jerry Jones bought the team in 1989, he was considered a reckless renegade who would destroy the NFL as we knew it. With help from some like-minded free-thinkers, he did – and his partners should get down on their knees and thank him for that.

Those are two reasons why I think they're better owners than Kraft, but don't get me wrong, Kraft is great. Built the stadium with his own money, his franchise is a dynasty...

Richardson not only brought the league to Carolina, he worked night and day to get it there. He's a hard worker, and the only former NFL player to become an owner. I just think he's gone through more than the other owners, and knows the game better than anyone else. That's what makes him good. A former player who brought pro football to Charlotte in the mid-90s, Richardson has become a caretaker of the game. He is, as one owner describes it, a consigliere to Goodell. “Whenever there are ugly, messy disputes behind-the-scenes, Jerry’s one of the guys Roger uses to go settle it,” the owner says. “He doesn’t shoot his mouth off, he treats people with respect and everyone likes him.” Richardson’s status is illustrated by his recent appointment (along with Broncos owner Bowlen) as co-chair of the “CEC” (the NFL Management Council Executive Committee), meaning he’ll play a huge role in the upcoming labor talks. Meanwhile, team president Mark Richardson, Jerry’s second-eldest son, excels in running the Panthers’ day-to-day operations and, as a member of the NFL Network committee, is also highly regarded in league circles. The best thing about the Richardsons? Unlike some of their peers who constantly whine about their market size, they simply work hard and aim high.

You may think that jones is becoming Al Davis, but he's done much more than Davis. Al Davis never brought the SB to Oakland, Jones tried hard to do that and he did. He may not be great with the fans, but he's done a lot for his team. Given what the Joneses are in the process of accomplishing in Texas – building the greatest stadium since the Roman Colosseum – it’s difficult not ranking them No. 1. A fourth Super Bowl ring in two decades of ownership might put them over the top, and with all the talent they’re hording on the Cowboys’ current roster, they just may get one come February. Remember that when Jerry Jones bought the team in 1989, he was considered a reckless renegade who would destroy the NFL as we knew it. With help from some like-minded free-thinkers, he did – and his partners should get down on their knees and thank him for that.

Those are two reasons why I think they're better owners than Kraft, but don't get me wrong, Kraft is great. Built the stadium with his own money, his franchise is a dynasty...

Kraft was a lifelong Patriots fan for decades before he bought the Patriots.

He also SAVED the Patriots from moving to St. Louis. This wasn't some vague possibility; the plans had already been initiated prior to Kraft intervening to buy the team.

So where were the NFL players today thanking Jerry Jones? Bueller? Bueller?

Kraft has been on the front lines several times, from negotiating TV contracts on behalf of the NFL to working to fix the lockout situation.

Kraft has done much more for the NFL than Richardson. Your quote up above seems to indicate that the Carolina owner was going to have a big role; oddly enough, his name never seemed to come up.

So your criteria is totaly subjective. That's ok. It's your opinion.

I would first off expect top owners to put together an organization that is capable of fielding winning teams. I guess I don't see Richardson in that category right now. He hasn't had a sustained winning team like the Pats, Steelers, Colts, even Cowboys.

The reason I said Jerry Jones is becoming the next Al Davis is he can't keep in his place. He is the owner. He needs to put together an organization that can take care of the duties that a GM and coach should do. But he is too busy meddling and not letting the "experts" he hires do their jobs - like Al Davis. He is also willing to take on any thug, head case, prima dona if he things that guy has the talent to help his team win. And ironically, it's not working. Al Davis has pulled similar stunts. And remember that bigger isn't always better. The Dallas stadium is really big - and kickers can hit the scoreboard. Stupid.

So I guess wouldn't put these 2 guys as 1 and 2. But that is my opinion.

Kraft was a lifelong Patriots fan for decades before he bought the Patriots.

He also SAVED the Patriots from moving to St. Louis. This wasn't some vague possibility; the plans had already been initiated prior to Kraft intervening to buy the team.

So where were the NFL players today thanking Jerry Jones? Bueller? Bueller?

Kraft has been on the front lines several times, from negotiating TV contracts on behalf of the NFL to working to fix the lockout situation.

Kraft has done much more for the NFL than Richardson. Your quote up above seems to indicate that the Carolina owner was going to have a big role; oddly enough, his name never seemed to come up.

All valid points, but I see a distinct difference between the two. Kraft is a die hard fan with a lot of money, so he bought the organization. He could easily afford the 365M dollar stadium. Richardson may not be as rich, but he founded the Panthers, and even though the Patriots are a better overall franchise and team than Panthers, the owners don't hire the players, don't play for the players. I just found that he's worked harder to get the Panthers were they are today. Kraft bought them 40 years after their founding. I hope you see my point.

Aside from all the who's better then who talk

It seems to me that both Mr. and Mrs. Kraft made sacrificies for this CBA that were extremely difficult to make

and that most of us likely would not make.

It is sobering.......particularly in the face of all the fighting over $

The game owes them a debt that can never be repaid.

They must have really loved this game

This is why they needed guys like Kraft in the discussion not someone like Richardson. How the owners let that * any where near the negotiations is beyond me.

I have always liked Kraft as an owner. He does it the right way.

Agree with this whole post. At first, I thought the title meant the players had singled Kraft out as the guy who was holding up negotiations and making the process go slowly. Glad to see that was a wrong first impression

It seems that a number of the owners put heart and soul into getting all of this done, with Mr. Kraft leading the way and Myra behind him for almost all of it.

I appreciate that Jeff was one of those at the table, too. Otherwise this all may have drug out even longer. Nice moment of mutual respect.

BTW - nice to see so many old friends again. Seems like old times. :hug:

I'm just really happy that things got done, regardless of who did it, but hats off to Kraft. Regardless of my feelings for the Pats, the guy knows how to build a franchise, I can respect that. It's good to have a rivalry with a guy you know will keep it competitive.

Actually it did. His mouth was one of the initial causes for friction between the players and owners in the early goings. So much for “He doesn’t shoot his mouth off, he treats people with respect and everyone likes him."