Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Narrowed it down to 3 we should and 3 we shouldn't

I watched some tape and just based on the visual i came out with three guys we would do fine in taking and three guys i see as potential let-downs. There are obviously more but these are just some that caught my eye. So here goes....

Should

Tank Carradine

- The guy just explodes through the line and would help us dearly with some much needed pass rush

D.J. Hayden

- If you watch him you'll see a guy who flies around the field and doesn't miss tackles. He's instinctive in pass coverage and knows how to get after the ball. What i really liked about him is his character. After nearly dying, he looks like he's on a mission to prove everyone who doubted him wrong. 

Robert Woods

- He's tough and physical. He doesn't shy away from contact and he doesn't fear going over the middle like other receivers. He's got all the traits Reggie Wayne has. He understands how to play the position. He can play outside or slot and even has punt return ability. He has the whole package as a receiver because he can be explosive with the ball in his hands and at the same time be the possession receiver every quarterback needs.

Souldn't

Datone Jones

-At first sight he looks like a big guy who will clog up the lane and disrupt blocking assignments. But to me thats his ceiling. He's average at pass rushing and very slow. He can be easily stood up and pushed back by more skilled line men. Solid player? Absolutely. 24th pick? No.

Xavier Rhodes

-Im gonna get a lot of heat for this one. But honestly I saw nothing special in him. He's solid in coverage but won't make too many plays on the ball. He won't create too many turnovers. Just look at his stats from last year for proof. He misses tackles often, something that has been a problem in our defense already for the past few years. 

Bjoern Werner

-Like Carradine this guy is very explosive off the line. Unlike Carradine, he has no motor and disappears during long stretches of the game. The explosive highlights you see of him? They happen about four times during the entire game. He lacks motor when pursuing ball carriers especially. 

So your thoughts? This is just my opinion so I would love to hear who else should be added to this list...

Hayden is Mike Mayocks "final mock draft" pick for the Colts. Then you have Datone Jones ranked 78th on Gil Brandts Top 100 prospects?..its all opinion and they vary so much. Gonna have to trust in Grigson on this one

I dont understand your point. I have Hayden as someone we Should draft and Jones as someone we shouldn't. That works with the information you just provided.

I say we drop to very late 1st or very early 2nd (if we can), and get DJ Hayden, T. Carradine, or D. Jones there.  I love R. Woods, but we just don't need a receiver as much as we need other things. 

I like your 3, and agree that Rhodes is overrated.  I don't think Werner is on our radar. 

The only one I would disagree with is D. Jones.  He is good at the point of attack, plays the run well, very quick to get upfield, and actually  can stand up and rush, or go inside to DT/NG on obvious passing situations.  He is just a guy that is a safe pick and can make you much better upfront, so I like him. 

I watched some tape and just based on the visual i came out with three guys we would do fine in taking and three guys i see as potential let-downs. There are obviously more but these are just some that caught my eye. So here goes....

Should

Tank Carradine

- The guy just explodes through the line and would help us dearly with some much needed pass rush

D.J. Hayden

- If you watch him you'll see a guy who flies around the field and doesn't miss tackles. He's instinctive in pass coverage and knows how to get after the ball. What i really liked about him is his character. After nearly dying, he looks like he's on a mission to prove everyone who doubted him wrong. 

Robert Woods

- He's tough and physical. He doesn't shy away from contact and he doesn't fear going over the middle like other receivers. He's got all the traits Reggie Wayne has. He understands how to play the position. He can play outside or slot and even has punt return ability. He has the whole package as a receiver because he can be explosive with the ball in his hands and at the same time be the possession receiver every quarterback needs.

Souldn't

Datone Jones

-At first sight he looks like a big guy who will clog up the lane and disrupt blocking assignments. But to me thats his ceiling. He's average at pass rushing and very slow. He can be easily stood up and pushed back by more skilled line men. Solid player? Absolutely. 24th pick? No.

Xavier Rhodes

-Im gonna get a lot of heat for this one. But honestly I saw nothing special in him. He's solid in coverage but won't make too many plays on the ball. He won't create too many turnovers. Just look at his stats from last year for proof. He misses tackles often, something that has been a problem in our defense already for the past few years. 

Bjoern Werner

-Like Carradine this guy is very explosive off the line. Unlike Carradine, he has no motor and disappears during long stretches of the game. The explosive highlights you see of him? They happen about four times during the entire game. He lacks motor when pursuing ball carriers especially. 

So your thoughts? This is just my opinion so I would love to hear who else should be added to this list...

I like that your list is a tad different than some.  I like your inclusion of Woods.  At the end of the day, you can only draft one player at a time, and if  Woods turns out to be the solid pro that most expect for the next 12 years, then I don't see how that can ever be a bad pick.  Great QB's need technicians that get open, and Woods is probably a little more explosive than even that description.  Might be the safest WR pick in the whole draft.

I wouldn't dare touch Woods in the first, I guess I'd be fine taking Tank in the first, but with Datone Jones, everyone's saying he looks and plays different than normal players. Well guess what- we have a HYBRID defense where he'd be at his best, and to me, the d-line is the most important spot on the field. And I really like DJ Hayden, he's a not only a great player, but a true leader and has fantastic character. And in the end, it's not need you should try to draft for or necessarily even BPA. It's who's the most proven leader and team player combined with skills who's gonna help you out the most. So even though I don't view Cornerback as a real need, I'd be more than pleased if we took Hayden with our first pick.

Should

Tank Carradine

D.J. Hayden

Robert Woods

Souldn't

Datone Jones

Xavier Rhodes

Bjoern Werner

I like this concept. You're talking about players we should or shouldn't take specifically at #24, right?

I would take Hayden, but not over Rhodes (which obviously indicates that I'd take Rhodes). I don't get your criticism of Rhodes, or your praise of Hayden. Most reports I've read say that Hayden misses his share of tackles, while Rhodes is more solid in that area. You're probably right that Rhodes isn't going to take the ball away that often, but that's more because he's going to smother his man and take him out of the play. When you talk about a shutdown press corner, Rhodes is who I envision, like Nnamdi in his prime. Hayden is more Asante Samuel, plays off a little but closes quick, does better in zone than Rhodes, and he does separate his man from the ball when he gets there. Both have lots of potential, but I prefer Rhodes style and size. JMO.

I'm concerned about Carradine's injury, but evidently he looked great at his pro day this weekend. Still, we took a defensive lineman and redshirted him over a knee injury last year. Wouldn't want to do that again. Eight months off an ACL isn't quite long enough. Motor is there, ability is there, and he'd scratch the itch for another pass rusher, but not a lot of experience in D1. Some questions marks on this one.

I agree on Jones and Werner. Jones seems like he's in between positions, and wouldn't be a great fit in our defense, which is really saying something. He reminds me of Raheem Brock, and I wouldn't want him in the first round. Werner is hit and miss, and I don't think he'd be an impact player for us. He is who Grigson was talking about when he said "if we don't have a great feeling about the guy at #24..." 

Woods... My favorite receiver in this draft, and if we take him at #24, I'll just be happy that we got him. But if he's the guy that's on our radar, I'd rather see us move down, perhaps to #30 with Atlanta moving up, or even further down into the second round, get an extra third, and take Woods later. I don't think he's going to go very much before #39 to the Jets. So I don't think he'd be a good value at #24, but I'm so confident that he's going to be a good pro that I could get over the reach.

If the first round goes the way analysts are predicting -- and it won't, because there's going to be some movement that throws everything off, and teams like the Browns, Bills and Jets may reach for a quarterback, while the Bears or Vikings reach for a MLB (Te'o) -- I think our best option is Rhodes. Next is Hayden. Then Carradine. Then Woods. I'd groan over Jones and Werner.

I wouldn't dare touch Woods in the first, I guess I'd be fine taking Tank in the first, but with Datone Jones, everyone's saying he looks and plays different than normal players. Well guess what- we have a HYBRID defense where he'd be at his best, and to me, the d-line is the most important spot on the field. And I really like DJ Hayden, he's a not only a great player, but a true leader and has fantastic character. And in the end, it's not need you should try to draft for or necessarily even BPA. It's who's the most proven leader and team player combined with skills who's gonna help you out the most. So even though I don't view Cornerback as a real need, I'd be more than pleased if we took Hayden with our first pick.

That's what's weird about Jones. We do run a hybrid defense, and we should be able to fit any lineman into our system. But I don't think Jones fits anywhere, not ideally.

Just my opinion:

Should:

Jarvis Jones

Damontre Moore

Jonathan Cooper

Xavier Rhodes

Tank Carradine

Jamar Taylor

Few other guys I like to

Should not:

Larry Warford (Not in the first, better as a trade down)

Desmond Trufant (trade down only)

Datone Jones ( I like him and would not flip if we chose him but think there will be better players available

Alex Okafor(Trade down only)

Brandon Jenkins(Trade down only)

Obviously more could be named under Should Not

I think the only thing that scares me with jones is one year of really good production I kinda get Jerry Hughes flashbacks

He had 15 sacks at TCU in 2008 and 10 in '09, Hughes simply has had a lack of consistent playing time, The Jerry Hughes pick should have never happened because 1st round picks are usually supposed to start right away, That was not going to happem with Freeney still young and producing at a high level (he had 13.5 sacks the year before Hughes was drafted and 10 the year he was drafted.....Hughes was not meant to start from day one, it simply was not going to happen

I dont understand your point. I have Hayden as someone we Should draft and Jones as someone we shouldn't. That works with the information you just provided.

My point is some project Hayden going as early as 10th to the Titans, then Mayock has him 24th to the Colts. Many have projected Jones going to the Colts then Brandt has him ranked 78th BPA on his list. This thread is "should or shouldn`t" themed and IMO only time will tell the answer to that. Even the best of the experts vary on this

Agree 100% with your shouldn'ts, particularly Datone Jones.  I'm pretty much at peace with whatever happens tonight - if we keep our pick, we'll get a player that will help our team.  I'm really against a first round WR, though.  I really like our top four receivers, and I think Grigson owes it to himself to see what Brazill and DHB can do before using a 1st rounder at WR. 

He had 15 sacks at TCU in 2008 and 10 in '09, Hughes simply has had a lack of consistent playing time, The Jerry Hughes pick should have never happened because 1st round picks are usually supposed to start right away, That was not going to happem with Freeney still young and producing at a high level (he had 13.5 sacks the year before Hughes was drafted and 10 the year he was drafted.....Hughes was not meant to start from day one, it simply was not going to happen

Its sad his teammate from the same TCU team, Daryl Washington, has been a better player than Hughes and Washington went in Round 2 of the same draft.

Dammit Polian you had ONE job. 

Thats why I dont want to see them make a mistake again and try to pick a depth position. We can pick an impactful STARTER, and if we cant then trade down and get more picks!