Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All the " In the Trenches", talk by Grigson is a smokescreen...

he shows flashes but wouldn't say he is good yet, decent number 2 potential, But Antonio Cromartie is good, Corner is not my primary concern this year, Just as long as we keep Vaughn off the field Im good, I'd love to get Jamar Taylor or Rhodes but they are not priority 1 with me. But regardless BPA as long as he fits what we are doing

We coulda had Cromartie for a 4th, and I'd be dancing if we did..Rhodes and Trufant aren't and never will be Cromartie

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's not a RB or WR worthy of our 1st round pick. Jarvis Jones and Tank Carradine are the only OLB's that could fall to us  but i still think we go d-line. Richardson,Datone Jones, or Sylvester Williams would be great options. My sleeper pick is Ogletree since Angerer and Conner are FA's after this year.

A rb is much more vulnerable to injury...it's common sense. Yes, any player can get hurt, but RB more than any other.

Vontae missed 6 games last year. Ballard didn't miss a single snap. IMO Grigson isn't going to use the first pick to draft a player because "the other guy might get injured."

Nooooo piece of crap mid 2nd -3rd round guards in the first please, and no cbs that will take a year to develop and then let Vontae walk...Olb if he is a difference maker yes, and same goes for DE or Dt or Wr.

Nice straw-man!     That was very impressive!

Please,  tell me....   which poster has ever suggested a guard in the first round other than Cooper or Warmack?

I believe that answer would be.....    no one.

People are talking about taking a guard in the 3rd or 4th round if there's no trade back...

Or maybe in the 2nd round if we do trade back....

But thanks for playing.....

Can't pay 4 corners stater $$$$, may get by with it a year or 2 but you can't keep it up, someone will have to walk, and I like our mix now....

First,  Donnie Butler isn't getting starter money....   he's getting $2 Mill per....   that's nice money as a 3rd or 4th corner...

And his contract is only two years long....    we're not tied to him long term unless he plays like a player we want to keep long term...

Bernard will be a multiple pro bowler

Great!    Lots of players are multiple pro bowl type players who weren't drafted in the first round.

There are six other rounds in the draft after the first....    once you learn to embrace that concept things will become much easier for you.......

First,  Donnie Butler isn't getting starter money....   he's getting $2 Mill per....   that's nice money as a 3rd or 4th corner...

And his contract is only two years long....    we're not tied to him long term unless he plays like a player we want to keep long term...

Darius Butler...

But your point stands. I was going to say the same thing.

On top of that, Toler is only under contract for three years, and isn't a hard player to release, given the structure of his contract. Drafting a guy with potential to be a long term starter at corner just gives you more options, and forces everyone else to up their play. Yeah, Toler got starter's money, and yeah, Butler got nice reserve money, but they aren't entrenched in their respective roles. Especially if a young guy gets drafted and outworks or outplays either or both of them. I'd be excited if we drafted Rhodes, personally.

A rb is much more vulnerable to injury...it's common sense. Yes, any player can get hurt, but RB more than any other.

Another reason not to invest a high pick on one, they have a short career span. If you have an O Line then even undrafted Backs can look like studs provided they have the slightest bit of vision. Arian Foster was undrafted 

There's not a RB or WR worthy of our 1st round pick. Jarvis Jones and Tank Carradine are the only OLB's that could fall to us  but i still think we go d-line. Richardson,Datone Jones, or Sylvester Williams would be great options. My sleeper pick is Ogletree since Angerer and Conner are FA's after this year.

Would not be sad about Datone Jones either..I think he fits r d perfect..Just want people to be open-minded...If we go Bernard or even Lacy I can see either 1 going for 1,200 and 10tds. I also would not be sad sad if we go Patterson, Hopkins, or Hunter at WR because I just don't think Wayne has much left and he def doesn't have the big-play left..He is a reliable possession guy at this point.

Another reason not to invest a high pick on one, they have a short career span. If you have an O Line then even undrafted Backs can look like studs provided they have the slightest bit of vision. Arian Foster was undrafted 

Don't you just love it when someone makes YOUR point and not THEIR point in their argument.....

Would not be sad about Datone Jones either..I think he fits r d perfect..Just want people to be open-minded...If we go Bernard or even Lacy I can see either 1 going for 1,200 and 10tds. I also would not be sad sad if we go Patterson, Hopkins, or Hunter at WR because I just don't think Wayne has much left and he def doesn't have the big-play left..He is a reliable possession guy at this point.

Do you have any idea how unintentionally funny you are?!?

Just askin........

Correct, but I think our line is improved drastically already and the guys who were here last year will be better as well....Yes, a good Rb can have a good year behind a good o-line, but a great big play RB can be the difference between winning and losing, 10 yard gains and 40 yard gains..

Correct, but I think our line is improved drastically already and the guys who were here last year will be better as well....Yes, a good Rb can have a good year behind a good o-line, but a great big play RB can be the difference between winning and losing, 10 yard gains and 40 yard gains..

Donald Thomas is a drastic improvement before he even gets on the field? Hate to tell you....Its going to take more then him to fix our O Line, was he an upgrade? Watching him on film....or in games.....He is yes......But I wouldn't say he is beyond a shadow of a doubt the answer, Plus we dont have a RG on the roster, And no Mcglynn or Reitz are not RG's in our scheme, if anything they are more LG's or in my opinion Tackles(Back ups).....Chris Johnson is a big play threat, He has been not nearly as good behind the changes the Titans made with the O Line

Nice straw-man!     That was very impressive!

Please,  tell me....   which poster has ever suggested a guard in the first round other than Cooper or Warmack?

I believe that answer would be.....    no one.

People are talking about taking a guard in the 3rd or 4th round if there's no trade back...

Or maybe in the 2nd round if we do trade back....

But thanks for playing.....

I've heard Warford mentioned too many times to count...SMH

Donald Thomas is a drastic improvement before he even gets on the field? Hate to tell you....Its going to take more then him to fix our O Line, was he an upgrade? Watching him on film....or in games.....He is yes......But I wouldn't say he is beyond a shadow of a doubt the answer, Plus we dont have a RG on the roster, And no Mcglynn or Reitz are not RG's in our scheme, if anything they are more LG's or in my opinion Tackles(Back ups).....Chris Johnson is a big play threat, He has been not nearly as good behind the changes the Titans made with the O Line

Never said not to draft O-line just not in the 1st if Cooper and Warmack r gone and they will be...Winters, Schwenke, B.Jones, and Frederick will be sitting there in the 3rd and all have starter potential...Also, don't be srprised if Iljalana, McGlynn< or Reitz show up improved , healthy and ready to roll...

I want that BIG-PLAY, HOME-RUN guy, rather it's at receiver or at Rb...We've lacked this since Marvin Harrison was here..Hilton is the ONLY guy we have right now with this capability and he is still a novelty at this point...I want a Harrison or a Faulk..That could be the difference between 10-6 or 13-3...

Never said not to draft O-line just not in the 1st if Cooper and Warmack r gone and they will be...Winters, Schwenke, B.Jones, and Frederick will be sitting there in the 3rd and all have starter potential...Also, don't be srprised if Iljalana, McGlynn< or Reitz show up improved , healthy and ready to roll...

I'd love to get Winters....As to Mcglynn....Reitz AND Ijalana.....I cant say for 100 percent certainty but I dont think 1 of those names will be on the roster come week 1....In all likelihood it will be Ijalana out of those 3 do to lack of staying healthy. Neither Mcglynn or Reitz are going to be in our long term plans if Im guaging what there 1 year contracts say Im all but sure of that, they all are in the final year of there deal except Ijalana(2 years left, FA in 2015) and he cant even stay healthy, There will be a Guard or two cut. Its just a matter of who. Plus Griffin is on the bubble Im sure, he is massive but with all that mass he had 12 reps at the Combine (I believe that was the number.)...12....for a 6'6" 330lb man

I've heard Warford mentioned too many times to count...SMH

And almost every time,  the people who mention Warford are talking about him in the 2nd round.   That's his value.

The people who want Warford want the Colts to trade back,  acquire more picks and take Warford in the 2nd round...   but not the first....

And almost every time,  the people who mention Warford are talking about him in the 2nd round.   That's his value.

The people who want Warford want the Colts to trade back,  acquire more picks and take Warford in the 2nd round...   but not the first....

Only one thread here mentioned Warford at 24, and it was only if he ended up as BPA after the Coopers and Warmacks..... 

We discussed the fine line between what GMs look at in terms of technique, tenacity... strength. etc.  

We coulda had Cromartie for a 4th, and I'd be dancing if we did..Rhodes and Trufant aren't and never will be Cromartie

Cromartie isn't Revis so there is no reason why Rhodes Hayden or Trufant couldn't be as good they could be better then Revis you just never know

I actually agree with some of jshipps points

OK....    I want you to very slowly back away from the keyboard....   slowly...    careful now...   slowly....

That's it....    take a deep breath....   if need be, I want you to jump into a very cold shower...  with your clothes on!

Just let that water wash all over you.... 

If there's a valium in the house....   I want you to take it...   then lie down...  put some pillows under your feet and get them raised higher than your head...    I want the blood flowing back into your head....     

That's it!     Very good......

If all that doesn't work....    I want you to run as fast as you can and smash your head into the hardest wall you can find!  Brick would be fine....    concrete would be even better!     That should do the trick!

I like you, Buck....    but you scared me there for a moment.....

Grigson used FA to put starters in our secondary, not depth. Davis, Toler, Landry and Bethea is a good secondary and I don't believe Grigson is targeting a CB in the 1st round unless an ugly Deion Sanders is still there at 24.  The big gaping hole is RG, but I do agree with Ship in that we need a great RB to go with Ballard.  It would make all the difference in the world.

I don't think Grigson is that simple minded. He's not going to force his own hand by saying "I'll only look to draft one of these positions". I think he'll take the best player that fills a relative need, which the 3 listed above do. But I don't think he'll pass on a guard or even tackle he has ranked high enough.

Grigson used FA to put starters in our secondary, not depth. Davis, Toler, Landry and Bethea is a good secondary and I don't believe Grigson is targeting a CB in the 1st round unless an ugly Deion Sanders is still there at 24.  The big gaping hole is RG, but I do agree with Ship in that we need a great RB to go with Ballard.  It would make all the difference in the world.

Agree. Williams seems a lot like Ngata but Richardson is explosive at DE. I was hoping for Williams but looks like both will be gone by pick #15. Rumors have that the Cowboys and Vikings like these players as well.

Hopefully the cowboys will take one and one of the G will fall

haha Is everything Grigson says or does a smoke screen now? He cant scout, talk to, visit, talk about or look at a prospect without it being a "smoke screen"

What would be the purpose of all this, to simply confuse the other 31 GMs? I doubt any of them are losing any sleep over ANY of the other GMs opinions. Their scouts where hired for a reason and they will go with the guys they put on their board. Im sure they ask around to get an idea who values who. But as for all this "smokescreen" stuff, just seems like a waste of time in my opinion. Nobody knows how the draft will turn out so why even bother with all that? Do your research and be ready for whatever happens.

Have you ever thought...that maybe...just maybe all the stuff he is saying, and the people he is scouting is just him doing his job?

Just a thought thought though.

Like it did for Ballard?  O.o Its really a matter of physics, Take 1 217lb Back (Ballards weight) have him run behind a 315-320 lb Guard PLUS a 290 plus DT completely dominating that Guard and if that 315-320lb Guard cant get any push (which is completely inexcusable in my opinion) then you have a good Back with AVERAGE power smacking into 625lbs to 630lbs of a wall. Thats not to say we dont need another Back...Because I believe we do, but we can get a change of pace Back in the late rounds if Grigs has quit on Brown (which I think he is close to do so)

Would you like to share with all of us what exactly Grigson has done or said that gives you the impression that he is close to quitting on Brown?

Would you like to share with all of us what exactly Grigson has done or said that gives you the impression that he is close to quitting on Brown?

Nothing actually, Just a little speculation on my part but given his injury history and the fact that he has 1 year left on his deal might prove to be a precursor to that happening, Of course Im not talking about before the start of game 1 this coming season, I just mean its very possible he wont be resigned at the end of this coming year if Ballard improves upon what he did last year......Hey nobody wants him to succeed more then me, I have been VERY adamant about people giving him a fair shot and I really really really hope Grigson does him justice and drafts an O Linemen reasonably high (preferably 1st or 3rd round) if the talent is there so as to give Brown AND Ballard the best chance of success, because if not I could see us letting Brown walk regardless if he stays healthy or not without even giving him an actual NFL caliber O Line to run behind, I have also mentioned how ticked I would be (But happy for Brown) if we did let him go and he got picked up by a team with an NFL caliber O Line and he did exactly what I know he is capable of doing and thats run for well over a 1000 yards in a season or seasons, Like I said just some meaningless speculation before the draft but I would not be surprised if things unfolded as I described come the end of this coming season

OK....    I want you to very slowly back away from the keyboard....   slowly...    careful now...   slowly....

That's it....    take a deep breath....   if need be, I want you to jump into a very cold shower...  with your clothes on!

Just let that water wash all over you.... 

If there's a valium in the house....   I want you to take it...   then lie down...  put some pillows under your feet and get them raised higher than your head...    I want the blood flowing back into your head....     

That's it!     Very good......

If all that doesn't work....    I want you to run as fast as you can and smash your head into the hardest wall you can find!  Brick would be fine....    concrete would be even better!     That should do the trick!

I like you, Buck....    but you scared me there for a moment.....

Bwahahaha...

I know right!?!?

The pre-draft crazies have officially set in...

Some people want the sexy pick with a RB or WR, some people want to protect Luck with a OL, some people want to build the Monster with a OLB, some people remember Vaughn getting burned ALOT last season so CB is a must on their list...

How in the World is Grigson gonna appease all the fans???

We're not letting Vontae walk.    We paid full price, a #2 for him.   We're not getting two years out of him and then letting him walk.

I don't know why you think having 3-4 very good corners is such a bad thing in a pass happy league,  but then again,  you want a RB in the 1st round when there are no RB's with first round grades....

And when we already have a 3 down back!

Jarvis Jones, if he slides to us, would be my ultimate pick

That guy can play

If that doesnt happen, AND

Cooper and Warmack are gone,

In order of my preference....

1) Trade the pick for mid to early second and get Warford

2) use the pick on Deandre Hopkins) if the rams dont take him)

3) take Jessie Williams

4) take Datone

Or. Lastly

5) Kenan Allen

I am happy if I wake up friday morning and we have picked up any of these guys

If we trade back fine...Still Winters, Schwenke, B.Jones, or Frederick will be there in the 3rd and may turn out better than Warford...Warford has good size but is clumsy and has trouble finding guys at the next level...