Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Colt Players Will Not Be Here Next Year?

coltfaninnewyork

Collins gone. IMO the only contract he should be worried about is with his AARP card.

Diem is prolly gone, Brackett may be gone, Gonzo and Brown both gone.

Painter may be back if he proves to be a formidable back-up to last until the future QB arrives.

I think Reggie and Mathis are both coming back. Although Mathis can get a lot more money on the open market then we will pay.

Lacey should be gone judging by his coverage skills. Bullit may be gone if our other Safeties prove to be better.

We may be very thin at WR. They are pretty well all FA after this year. We need to bring back Reggie for sure and draft at least one and maybe re-sign another or pick up a FA.

Money is goin to be tight!!

Reggie will demand a huge contract and is on the wrong side of 30.Hope he's back but i just don't know.

Put the money from Reggie and get another stellar lineman so that Manning could have an

extra second to survey the field. You can get by with second rate WR's if you have all

the time in the world in the pocket.

I also like the new running Colts myself. With a running game, the defense can't concentrate

on the receivers. The Colts have been building this team wrong for years, start with Manning

then build the lines. If you have stellar lines, then you can get by with second tier skilled

positions.

Put the money from Reggie and get another stellar lineman so that Manning could have an

extra second to survey the field. You can get by with second rate WR's if you have all

the time in the world in the pocket.

I also like the new running Colts myself. With a running game, the defense can't concentrate

on the receivers. The Colts have been building this team wrong for years, start with Manning

then build the lines. If you have stellar lines, then you can get by with second tier skilled

positions.

The interesting thing is the peyton injury has given the colts a chance to kind of evolve into more of a running team.It will be fun to see how having balance again on offense again{edge era}next year with peyton will serve us well.

We will not get the No.1 pick...We saw that Sunday night.

why do you guys assume we won't get the #1 pick there is still a chance we could. I think the dolphins and chiefs are the only 0-3 team besides us left and Cassel/Henne are better QBs than Painter or even Collins. They've been in their system for years.

The colts defense looked great against the Steelers but the offense is still not up to par. One 80 yard TD drive doesn't make you a good player automatically.

why do you guys assume we won't get the #1 pick there is still a chance we could. I think the dolphins and chiefs are the only 0-3 team besides us left and Cassel/Henne are better QBs than Painter or even Collins. They've been in their system for years.

The colts defense looked great against the Steelers but the offense is still not up to par. One 80 yard TD drive doesn't make you a good player automatically.

I agree i think as of now we are the favorites.If you base it on the fact that this a qb driven league,then while cassel and henne are not great they are better than our qb's.

According to KFFL our free agents after this season are Garcon, Gonzo, Wayne, Diem, and Mathis. Of those guys, Gonzo and Diem are almost certainly gone. Garcon might come back, depending on his market price. Mathis and Wayne are obviously the big ones here. I'd like to see them both back, but it might depend on the draft quite honestly. Let's say we get a top 5 pick and we're able to draft Alshon Jeffrey or Blackmon, suddenly keeping Reggie isn't a priority (though I want to see him retire a Colt). Or, maybe we go with Quentin Coples and let Mathis walk. Of course, we could go with a different position and be forced to make a choice between those two.

I also hope they focus on DBs in the draft, and it makes Lacey expendable, and Bullitt can be cut.

Reggie will be back. He will retire a Colt. Mathis will be back also. Gonzo will be gone, Diem also. If Garcon keeps dropping balls like he has the last two seasons I'd drop him also. Brackett will be back if he doesn't retire. Brown and Hughes are still under rookie contracts, so still inexpensive. I think Saturday may call it a career.

we are not going to get Andrew Luck..we are not going to pick in the top 4 or 5

I really cant understand why everyone is still, at this point, delusional enough to think we are going to win enough games not to be in the running for the number one spot at the end of the year. This team did ok against a Steelers team that got blown out against the Ravens a few weeks ago. They need some work on their Oline as we could tell. We might win a game or two. That might be all it takes to be the number one pick. Although, I am not to sure about picking a replacement for Peyton unless they know for sure he is not going to make it through his contract.

We DO know that the coaching staff doesn't think Painter can play.

How do we know that?

Because they decided that a guy who has been in our system for 2 full years with full preseasons was not better than picking up a retired old guy who hadn't probably touched a football in months and did not know our system at all. That says alot about what Painter can or can't do.

I see Brown being gone, Garcon, possibly Brackett.

I know that keeping Wayne and Mathis will be hard with how tight oru cap usually is. But both of these playesr are extremely important to what we do. Not considering the draft, I actually think Wayne is more important to the team than Mathis. I just think his production can't be overstated for our offense. Mathis is extremely important but I think that we could potentially cover for him, to an extent, with Hughes/Foster, and improved DT rotation, and a bit of tweaking in our blitzing scheme.

I don't however think we have much of a chance of getting both players back in blue. it is just a question of dollars, and I doubt there is going to be enough for both

Oh yeah.... and Collins won't be back. Pull your head out of your hind parts

This is how I think it will work *ALL ASSUMING WE GET A HIGH DARAFT PICK, MAYBE EVEN THE 1ST*

I think we re-work Freeney's contract, we clear some cap space and re-sign Mathis, I read somewhere that the institution made a commitment to him that they were going to re-sign him, at the end of te year.

We cut Brown, I'd guess that would save some money, we don't need him, we all know that now.

We either re-make Bracket's contract or let him walk, yes he is an important player, yes we just signed him to a 5 year deal, but this is a business, if Angerer is ready to play Mike, and he is better against the run, why would you keep the more expensive guy, all this assuming Angerer has a wonderful year this season. Plus, Angerer will improve his pass coverage skills somewhere along the season.

I actually don't think Diem and Saturday will be gone by club's decision, I think they will get the opportunity to make that decision, Diem is better at Guard, and I think he could help there next year, even for depth and If I am correct, he doesn't even costs us that much money, I believe Jeff will not leave, he will want to play with Peyton one more year.

I think the WR spot will get a lot more attention, I really don't know what will happen, but I'll take a guess, I think Garcon stays, I just don't think he'll get a lot of money via FA, if he demands a lot and someone out there is willing to pay him,he's gone, but I don't see it happening. I think Gonzo is gone, Reggie stays and we go after a WR in the draft. We keep Collie too.

Lacey is gone and we draft a CB especially if that trade with the Browns happens (not very likely IMO)

Either Anderson or Brayton stay, not both, we'll just have to live with that. Sims is probably leaving too BTW.

We will draft a premiere WR or a premiere CB, unless we get two first round picks, we couldget both. We'll look for a Guard, Safety maybe another DT and maybe that QB we all so desperately seem to want.

This is how I think it will work *ALL ASSUMING WE GET A HIGH DARAFT PICK, MAYBE EVEN THE 1ST*

I think we re-work Freeney's contract, we clear some cap space and re-sign Mathis, I read somewhere that the institution made a commitment to him that they were going to re-sign him, at the end of te year.

We cut Brown, I'd guess that would save some money, we don't need him, we all know that now.

We either re-make Bracket's contract or let him walk, yes he is an important player, yes we just signed him to a 5 year deal, but this is a business, if Angerer is ready to play Mike, and he is better against the run, why would you keep the more expensive guy, all this assuming Angerer has a wonderful year this season. Plus, Angerer will improve his pass coverage skills somewhere along the season.

I actually don't think Diem and Saturday will be gone by club's decision, I think they will get the opportunity to make that decision, Diem is better at Guard, and I think he could help there next year, even for depth and If I am correct, he doesn't even costs us that much money, I believe Jeff will not leave, he will want to play with Peyton one more year.

I think the WR spot will get a lot more attention, I really don't know what will happen, but I'll take a guess, I think Garcon stays, I just don't think he'll get a lot of money via FA, if he demands a lot and someone out there is willing to pay him,he's gone, but I don't see it happening. I think Gonzo is gone, Reggie stays and we go after a WR in the draft. We keep Collie too.

Lacey is gone and we draft a CB especially if that trade with the Browns happens (not very likely IMO)

Either Anderson or Brayton stay, not both, we'll just have to live with that. Sims is probably leaving too BTW.

We will draft a premiere WR or a premiere CB, unless we get two first round picks, we couldget both. We'll look for a Guard, Safety maybe another DT and maybe that QB we all so desperately seem to want.

I agree with pretty much everything. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that I think we would be better off going CB earlier than WR. There will be better WR's available in the mid rounds, imo, than there will be CBs. I also agree with you about Anderson and Brayton...one will probably be re-signed and the other not and I think Anderson is the one who stays. We could wind up also drafting a mid round DE that is more balanced against both the run and pass. Also, if we address the DT position then we can either part ways with Foster or move him to DE and also let Hughes go. I don't think we need Freeney, Hughes and Mathis even if Hughes gets a chance to prove he can be an elite pass rusher. If Manning is indeed out for the season, I would personally like to see Hughes in more often on passing downs. Then we'll get a chance to see what he can do and if anything maybe he can prove he is worth some value and we can trade him maybe for a mid round pick.

According to KFFL our free agents after this season are Garcon, Gonzo, Wayne, Diem, and Mathis. Of those guys, Gonzo and Diem are almost certainly gone. Garcon might come back, depending on his market price. Mathis and Wayne are obviously the big ones here. I'd like to see them both back, but it might depend on the draft quite honestly. Let's say we get a top 5 pick and we're able to draft Alshon Jeffrey or Blackmon, suddenly keeping Reggie isn't a priority (though I want to see him retire a Colt). Or, maybe we go with Quentin Coples and let Mathis walk. Of course, we could go with a different position and be forced to make a choice between those two.

I also hope they focus on DBs in the draft, and it makes Lacey expendable, and Bullitt can be cut.

Saturday is a free agent at year's end as well. He signed a three year deal and this is the third year of the deal. Also I could be wrong but I am pretty sure Wheeler is a free agent and that Anderson and Brayton both signed one year contracts.

No mentions of Linkenbach here, is he possibly good enough to stay? :panic::wall:

As inactive backup only.

Mathis will be replaced with Hughes (due to Mathis salary), Foster and Brayton will be replaced with a drafted DE (Coples? DE on rushing downs, DT on passing downs?).

As inactive backup only.

Mathis will be replaced with Hughes (due to Mathis salary), Foster and Brayton will be replaced with a drafted DE (Coples? DE on rushing downs, DT on passing downs?).

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Coples in the first round so long as we also take another DT in the 3rd or 4th. One thing we need to stop doing though is playing DE's at DT. :)

1) Painter or Collins. Either re-work Collins contract so we don't pay him $10M, or stick with painter until we can get a real backup.

2) Lacey. We need more physical corners that can actually play bump and run and not just run after the person with the ball.

3) Bracket. The front office might try and re-work his contract, but he is vastly overpaid. This is similar to the Hayden scenario we faced at the beginning of this season. He keeps getting nagged by minor injuries, and he is missing a lot of playing time. We will need his money for Mathis and Wayne

4) Sims. If he can't get out there and play instead of just being injured, he will be gone in a heartbeat. Wheeler is showing a lot more promise at the LB position. I am loving what I am seeing from our young LBs in Angerer, Conner, and Wheeler. I kind of hope we keep Sims for depth purposes, but he will actually need to play this season to earn a roster spot

5) Linkenbach. I feel that we are very uncertain at the RG position. This is especially the case since Ijalana has yet to see any game time this season. We will probably keep him around for cheap depth and nothing more. We will know more as the season goes on if Ijalana or Link will be our starter next year.

6) Brown....we have two great players on the practice squad this year, and Addai and Carter are showing they are leaps and bounds better than Brown.

7) Saturday signs a 1 year deal to play with Peyton once more

8) Bullitt will not go anywhere. Even if Lefeged proves himself, I think he is a very good backup in our already lacking secondary

9) Wayne is re-signed day one of free agency

10) Mathis is re-signed day one and a half of free agency

I agree with pretty much everything. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents that I think we would be better off going CB earlier than WR. There will be better WR's available in the mid rounds, imo, than there will be CBs. I also agree with you about Anderson and Brayton...one will probably be re-signed and the other not and I think Anderson is the one who stays. We could wind up also drafting a mid round DE that is more balanced against both the run and pass. Also, if we address the DT position then we can either part ways with Foster or move him to DE and also let Hughes go. I don't think we need Freeney, Hughes and Mathis even if Hughes gets a chance to prove he can be an elite pass rusher. If Manning is indeed out for the season, I would personally like to see Hughes in more often on passing downs. Then we'll get a chance to see what he can do and if anything maybe he can prove he is worth some value and we can trade him maybe for a mid round pick.

Jason, what CB would you go after and which WR (assuming you had any choice you wanted within 1st and 2nd rounds)?

I am absolutley terrified they are all gonna be here next year. Other than the usual 3rd string cuts, and draft pick aquistions, I just have a vague feeling we're going to prod through this season, and chalk it up to "Hey we lost Manning, we'll get them next year", and quickly submerge ourselves into NFLs bottom ranks, only slightly younger, and hopefully a little heftier on the lines. Until a few years later we finally buid ourselves up again. Rinse, repeat.

Jason, what CB would you go after and which WR (assuming you had any choice you wanted within 1st and 2nd rounds)?

That's such a loaded question. lol What I mean is there are a number of very solid combinations we could go with, all depending on how we treat our first pick. I think it would be easier for me to begin compiling a list of which players I would personally go after and what rounds they would be available so I'm going to start working on that. :)

so far of the games I've had a chance to watch and the players I've been able to focus on, here is my list of players I like and think would fit our team....the rounds included are largely based on CBSSports.com player rankings so there is definitely movement possible. For those who are predicted between rounds, I included them listed under the round I would prefer to draft them in

Round 1

Landry Jones QB 6'4 230 lbs Oklahoma (personal preference for 1st round QBs would be Jones > Foles > Barkley)

Matt Barkley, QB, 6'2" 220 lbs, USC

Brandon Thompson, DT, 6'2" 310 lbs Clemson

Dre Kirkpatrick CB 6'2 192 lbs, Alabama

Alshon Jeffery, WR, 6'4 229 lbs, South Carolina (Preference for 1st round WR would be Jeffrey > Floyd)

Quinton Coples, DE, 6'6" 285 lbs, North Carolina

Michael Floyd WR 6'3 224 lbs Notre Dame (late 1st/early 2nd)

Manti Te'o OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame (late 1st/early 2nd)

Nick Foles, QB, 6'5" 240 lbs, Arizona (late 1st/early 2nd)

Round 2

Josh Chapman DT, 6'1" 310 lbs, Alabama (late 1st/early 2nd)

Morris Claiborne, CB 6'1" 185 lbs LSU (late 1st/early 2nd)

Stephon Gilmore, CB, 6'1" 193 lbs, South Carolina

Jeff Fuller, WR, 6'3" 200 lbs Texas A&M (late 1st/early 2nd)

Kirk Cousins, QB, 6'3" 205 lbs Michigan State (preference for 2nd round QBs goes Cousins > Moore > Tannehill)

Kellen Moore, QB, 6'0" 195 lbs Boise State

Ryan Tannehill, QB, 6'4" 222 lbs, Texas A&M(late 2nd/early 3rd)

Dontari Poe, DT, 6'5" 350 lbs, Memphis

Round 3

Greg Childs WR 6'3" 217 lbs, Arkansas (late 2nd/early 3rd)

Mark Barron SS 6'2 218 lbs, Alabama

Ryan Broyles WR 5'10 188 lbs Oklahoma

Brandon Boykin, CB, 5'10" 183 lbs, Georgia

Coby Fleener, TE, 6'6" 245 lbs, Stanford

Round 4

Kendall Reyes DT 6'4 296 lbs, UConn

Melvin Engram DE/DT, 6'2 276 lbs, South Carolina (think of him as a tweener like Eric Foster only much better...not sold enough yet though to take him any higher than 4th round)

Juron Criner, WR, 6'4" 215 lbs South Carolina

Dwight Jones, WR, 6'4" 225 lbs, North Carolina

Nigel Bradham, OLB, 6'2" 240 lbs FSU

James-Michael Johnson, MLB, 6'1" 240 lbs, Nevada

Round 5

Kawann Short, 6'3" 310 lbs, Purdue (late 4th/early 5th)

Harrison Smith FS 6'2 215 lbs Notre Dame

Marquis Maze, WR 5'8" 184 lbs, Alabama

Jaye Howard, DT, 6'3" 303 lbs, Florida

Round 6

Derek Moye WR 6'4 210 lbs Penn State (how high he rises on the draft boards will largely depend on consistent QB play and not Derek's ability)

D'Anton Lynn CB 6'1 208 lbs Penn State

Jack Crawford DE 6'5 273 lbs Penn State (he might move into the 5th)

Round 7

Chris Galippo MLB 6'2 250 lbs, USC

Robert Blanton CB 6'0 200 lbs Notre Dame

Darius Fleming OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame

Christian Tupuo DT/NT, 6'2" 300 lbs, USC

Tydreke Powell, DT, 6'3" 310 lbs, North Carolina