I'm starting to think Te'o would be a great addition

GoodLuck

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jones is a solid bet.         Datone J that is not the other clown    

It just about has to be DL or OLB.....  

6 have Datone Jones to the Colts as of today.......that is the most linked to the Colts I believe...may be wrong....that is what I read.

Predictive behavior:  Not necessarily in this order..... :)

• Fail interview done.
  • Miss interview done.
  • Tear up room done.
  • Show up late done.
  • Call yourself a Honey Badger....Done.
  • fail drug test....done....

Investments gentlemen.......maturity......

Not discounting stupidity on FB, MySpace all other avenues of HR snooping either.  I am the owner...I am the GM....I want who I want....good solid citizens....Pretty simple to me.....

That's what bothers me. Matthieu, who is desperate for attention and makes bad decisions on a continual basis.

Or guys like Alphonso Dennard last year. Not that what he did was sooo wrong and unforgivable (people do stupid stuff when they're drunk, and young kids make stupid decisions), but if you're stupid enough to get arrested for assaulting a police officer right before the draft, I don't want you. Sorry. If you can't pass a pee test at the Combine, sorry, I don't want you (not talking about Keenan Allen, I'm talking about anyone who actually fails their drug test).

I don't have nearly as many concerns about Manti Te'o as I do about guys like that who have continually ran afoul of the law or the rules of the game they play, and now that it's draft time, they're on the straight and narrow.

Hmmm.  Don't see anything we disagree on here.  I don't think there is anything predictive about it either.  When I say GM's are concerned with predictive behavior, they are concerned about what you can't predict as well.  Like you say, you can't project what else he might do.  GM's sign players like Rolando McClain to unguaranteed minimum contracts, then cut them when they do something stupid...they know how to handle that part.

I wondered if that's what you meant. We speak in agreement there. The Te'o deal is unprecedented, for sure. If you take him at his word, then I could see easily looking past it. But if you feel like he's still hiding the full extent of his involvement, or if you think maybe he subconsciously knew the truth, then I could see being more concerned about him having some sort of meltdown.

Still, there's an inordinate amount of people willing to look beyond reckless and even criminal behavior, but can't get past Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend. Seems weird to me.

I must admit I am taking a liking to TM's athleticism. 

BUT there is NO way in heck I am giving this undisciplined FIEND a dime of my money.  

IF I were to take a chance on this *.    It would be 100% NON GUARANTEED, and incentive stacked.

Oh and a random pee pee test when we want one.      Which would be often.

I know I am crazy....but man...if it was my money...that is my approach...and lord knows I am NO Saint...and never will be one....I like TM's athleticism too...but not here.

I really don't give a hoot about his girlfriend story that much. What does bother me, is that there is no program, IMO, that has more overinflated values for football players coming out of college than ND. There are the premier hype machine. There was a period of three years where they should not have had a sniff of rankings, yet every season...there they were, right in the thick of the rankings.

Therefore, I'll pass.

I really don't give a hoot about his girlfriend story that much. What does bother me, is that there is no program, IMO, that has more overinflated values for football players coming out of college than ND. There are the premier hype machine. There was a period of three years where they should not have had a sniff of rankings, yet every season...there they were, right in the thick of the rankings.

Therefore, I'll pass.

THANK YOU!!! That's what I've been saying. Just all hype. I also agree with Holden89, I say we take the Bostic guy he mentioned

THANK YOU!!! That's what I've been saying. Just all hype. I also agree with Holden89, I say we take the Bostic guy he mentioned

Bostic is comparable, and is more of a third or fourth round prospect. But I think Bostic is a better fit for our defense than Te'o, highlighting why I wouldn't draft Te'o in the first round. We can get a better fit for far less, I think.

Bostic is comparable, and is more of a third or fourth round prospect. But I think Bostic is a better fit for our defense than Te'o, highlighting why I wouldn't draft Te'o in the first round. We can get a better fit for far less, I think.

And you said the key line there superman. "Better for less"

That's been Grigson's "motto" if you will. We had $40+ million to spend and look how he distributed the money to multiple people who could help our team & "fit" in what we're trying to do here

Yes, Mr. Crack Under Pressure

You said it in the original post. Up until the Bama game........ see right there is when you stop. Big time players make plays in big games

You can't handle the spotlight? Then you don't need to be on this team who will be in the spotlight 4, count it..... FOUR times this season

I don't know how to break it to you....   but the guy plays for Notre Dame.   The school is more in the spotlight than any other program in the country -- including Alabama.

No school gets more attention or scrutiny.   The guy played in more pressure games than anyone.  And in everyone but one,  he was very, very good.

He basically played one bad game in four years.    One.   And so did everyone else on his team that night.    It wasn't just Teo.   It's not like the game would have changed in any meaningful way if he had played well.  But the whole team sucked that night.

But the rest of his career is pretty stellar.

Most every scouting report of him I've read says he's easily in the top-32 players of this year's draft.   Doesn't mean he'll go in the first,  but he's worth a first.

Do I want the Colts to take him?    No.   But that's not because he's Manti Teo.   It's because I don't like spending a first round pick on inside linebackers.   I'd rather fill that spot with a lower round pick.    But Teo can play.   And he'll have a nice long career proving it.

Just my view of things.....

I haven't gone through 4 pages of posts...   so apologies if I'm repeating anyone else's comments....

But there is an argument for taking Teo in the first...

IF you think he's the best ILB in this draft and...

IF you think he's worth of the 24th pick then...

You need to remember we play in a division where we face Arian Foster twice a year, MJD twice a year and Chris Johnson twice a year....

You know Pagano/Manusky/Grigson are fanatical about stopping the run...   another big piece in the middle will go a long way toward slowing down those very good running games....

I'm not saying there's not a counter-argument against this argument....   only that there is one for Manti...

So after reading through it seem's that this boils down to two things, and that's if he even falls to 24.

Firstly the whole catfish affair, personally I find the whole thing a bit strange, and I don't think we will find out the full ins and out about it. I do think though it's indicative of the world we live in our insatiable appetite for "stories" about athletes and I do think that prior to it being busted as a hoax it helped raise his stock as a player. As others have stated I don't think there's anyway he couldn't at the least have had some doubts during the affair and my own gut feel is he was somewhat complicit. But on the other hand, again as more worthy posters before me have stated, does it matter. This is a league where we can forgive drug abuse, firearm crimes, domestic abuse and god knows what else that doesn't come out. It seems the underlying rule is, if you're good enough you're holy enough :P. Sure there would be a media circus wherever he goes to start with, but if he plays lights out, that's going to be the headline, that or he goes out with one of the Kardashians.

So the real quest then is he good enough, even without the whole gf saga there must have been something that brought him to the attention of people, but my own gut feel is that in the NFL he will only be a depth player at best. Of course if he does come to us I will give the same chance I give to anyone who wears the Horseshoe, even Painter :P 

6 have Datone Jones to the Colts as of today.......that is the most linked to the Colts I believe...may be wrong....that is what I read.

Weve talked about this kid a couple weeks ago ,believe I may have started a thread about him Lol cant remember for sure its early ,I would not be one bit upset if they took him,IMO hes one that fits Paganos scheme,and hes solid in run and pass as well

Weve talked about this kid a couple weeks ago ,believe I may have started a thread about him Lol cant remember for sure its early ,I would not be one bit upset if they took him,IMO hes one that fits Paganos scheme,and hes solid in run and pass as well

A lot of people do not see him as a scheme fit, but he looks pretty similiar to Courtney Upshaw to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed him at all.

A lot of people do not see him as a scheme fit, but he looks pretty similiar to Courtney Upshaw to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed him at all.

And may I justify this by saying that based on his combine results, he seems to have more athleticism than Upshaw and does not appear big enough to fit our front 3, despite him being projected as a 3-4DE. He seems a great fit as a potential Sam-linebacker, and given my recent education on the details of our hybrid system, he could bring the versatility we need to stay in the lineup in multiple formations.

I call him a tweener and decided he will be fine in the Pagano scheme...some of the lighter college DEs are the ones I have been against getting....the ones 'projected' as OLB as Hughes was coming out of TCU.

Datone is fine by me with the teachers on our staff....I guess we all will have to settle for who is drafted anyway....:)  

I am one of the first to debate, but then root for whomever we select...critique later :):blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Interesting read from NFL.com about Teo.  People are nibbling at the edges, but there are a lot of doubts out there.  Of course, it only takes one team with a LB need to feel like he is worthy of taking in the 1st.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000162525/article/manti-teo-reportedly-falling-off-teams-draft-board

Is that team the Vikings or the Bears? If not, it might not matter.

Yes, Mr. Crack Under Pressure

You said it in the original post. Up until the Bama game........ see right there is when you stop. Big time players make plays in big games

You can't handle the spotlight? Then you don't need to be on this team who will be in the spotlight 4, count it..... FOUR times this season

You know what it didnt help him any that that offense could not stop turning over the ball and the fact that there QB was a crappy Freshman

You know what it didnt help him any that that offense could not stop turning over the ball and the fact that there QB was a crappy Freshman

Wasn't that their QB the entire year? Didn't seem crappy when the media was all over Notre Dame all year. Bottomline, their whole team got dismantled on national television

Wasn't that their QB the entire year? Didn't seem crappy when the media was all over Notre Dame all year. Bottomline, their whole team got dismantled on national television

I guess Kenny Vacaro is terrible too then. Seeing how Oklahoma hung 63 on the longhorns d.

Yes, the #1 rated safety in the draft is terrible. Yep, you hit it right on the head

I'm using the same logic you are...big time players come up big in big time games. The sooners hung 63 on his defense

Teo is the number one ilb on alot of peoples board

I'm using the same logic you are...big time players come up big in big time games. The sooners hung 63 on his defense

Teo is the number one ilb on alot of peoples board

Red River Rivalry lost it's step awhile ago. So that's not a "big game" by any means anymore

Kenny is the #1 safety. A monster if you will. He shows up. And doesn't make excuses for not performing at his best. He's not a whiner like Te'o.

Red River Rivalry lost it's step awhile ago. So that's not a "big game" by any means anymore

Kenny is the #1 safety. A monster if you will. He shows up. And doesn't make excuses for not performing at his best. He's not a whiner like Te'o.

Teo had a pick against Oklahoma and his d only gave up 13 points... How did Kenny do?

Besides the game here's a guy who admits that the pressure of the combine was too great for him and that's why his performance left something to be desired. If the combine is too stressful for him I can only imagine what an important NFL game would do to the guy. My guess is he would be something like this :hide: in the locker room.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/25/teo-blames-slow-40-time-on-combine-stress/

No excuses for a poor outing in Indy, but you've gotta understand that dude has been dealing with the most embarrassing "news" story of recent history and the ridiculous media blitz that came along with it. I honestly can't blame the guy for not being focused on a 40 yard dash.

The most politically correct thing for him to do was to blame it on the combine itself and not on the hoax. He is trying to move on from it but if that's all people want to talk about , then yes you're going to focus on that a little more than the task at hand.

The worst case scenario for Teo is to end up in a large media market like NY, CHI, DAL etc. he will never get a chance to focus on football. Believe it or not, Indy is a small pond where he will be able to avoid tremendous media scrutiny and just play. No matter how good the Colts are, we're under the radar. Even when Peyton was here we were still under the radar.

Not saying Teo needs to be hidden away and sheltered, just implying that adding a player of his caliber to a team on the rise with excellent coaching/management/ownership, whose main focus is winning football games will go a long way in him being successful.

Just a mere 6 tackles and a few big hits. You know, just a usual day at the offense for the non excuse maker & #1 safety in the draft :D

What excuse did he make other than saying hr was overwhelmed at the combine?

plus kenny has you make the excuses for him. 6 tackles in a game where the sooners offense was on the field more than the grass that covers it...

What excuse did he make other than saying hr was overwhelmed at the combine?

plus kenny has you make the excuses for him. 6 tackles in a game where the sooners offense was on the field more than the grass that covers it...

He also admitted to not doing well in high pressure situations. I think it was Dustin who stated it on here about all his whining & whatnot.

Just a mere 6 tackles and a few big hits. You know, just a usual day at the offense for the non excuse maker & #1 safety in the draft :D

How long is a football field?  

Oklahoma wasn't as aggressive in the second half, but it still managed to put up 677 total yards and eight touchdowns against the Longhorns' defense. It was an especially even attack, too, as the Sooners piled up 334 yards through the air and 343 yards on the ground.

As info...I like the number 1 safety as well as the number 1 ILB.....:)

He also admitted to not doing well in high pressure situations. I think it was Dustin who stated it on here about all his whining & whatnot.

He admitted to not performing well because of pressure at the combine. Not being able to perform well under pressure is a big negative for me. After watching some more tape over the past month, I'm not going to put as much stock in the Alabama game as I used to because Alabama abused almost everyone they played. If he were available at say, the middle of the 2nd round (I know there's no way he lasts that long) then there is where I'd be able comfortable taking him.

He sort of like James Lauranitas lite to me. I'll say that he'll be a solid pro, but with a 1st round pick you want a player with high ceiling and the potential to be a game changer. I just don't see Te'o being that guy.

maybe do a little research of your own. he never said he under performed in pressure situations.

He admitted to not performing well because of pressure at both the Championship game and the combine. Not being able to perform well under pressure is a big negative for me. After watching some more tape over the past month, I'm not going to put as much stock in the Alabama game as I used to because Alabama abused almost everyone they played. If he were available at say, the middle of the 2nd round (I know there's no way he lasts that long) then there is where I'd be able comfortable taking him.

He sort of like James Lauranitas to me. I'll say that he'll be a solid pro, but with a 1st round pick you want a player with high ceiling and the potential to be a game changer. I just don't see Te'o being that guy.

i never saw anything about him blaming pressure on the bama game. he did say he was overwhelmed at the combine. although his combine experience was a lot different than everyone elses this year