Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Depth Charts - Linebacker and Safety

Smonroe

Continuing the series - players in bold make the team.

ILB - Freeman, Conner, Angerer, ??, ??  We carried 5 at the end of last season, we'll most likely do the same or maybe carry 6.  Looks like a spot where a rookie can make it.

OLB - Mathis, Hughes, Walden, Sidbury.  We carried 4 last season.  I know a lot of us want another one in the draft.

S - Bathea, Landry, Lefeged, ??, ??, ??  I'm not going to get into who's a SS or FS.  We carried 5 last year.  This position is really lacking depth and I expect a S to be drafted early.

Thoughts?

I'd love to see McNary make it, but he has to be a long shot. I think he misses the first OTA, and he hasn't played in a while.

He's been serving his country. I have him making it. He's in the Army so I'm sure he's in great shape & has good conditioning

He's been serving his country. I have him making it. He's in the Army so I'm sure he's in great shape & has good conditioning

I really hope he does.  But lets face it, he hasn't played in a while.  Conditioning isn't the same as football conditioning.  And finally, he didn't play a strong level of competition.

I'm not putting him down, those are all facts.  That all being said, no one thought Freeman would be as good as he turned out.  So there's hope. 

And you guys are right, that is a position of need.  After Freeman, Angerer and Conner, we get pretty thin.

I really hope he does. But lets face it, he hasn't played in a while. Conditioning isn't the same as football conditioning. And finally, he didn't play a strong level of competition.

I'm not putting him down, those are all facts. That all being said, no one thought Freeman would be as good as he turned out. So there's hope.

And you guys are right, that is a position of need. After Freeman, Angerer and Conner, we get pretty thin.

I look at it like this. If you can carry a gun & all that equipment they carry while running in the army boots, I'm sure he could handle what 10-15 pounds of shoulder pads & a helmet

I look at it like this. If you can carry a gun & all that equipment they carry while running in the army boots, I'm sure he could handle what 10-15 pounds of shoulder pads & a helmet

I'm assuming you're kidding.  It's a completely different thing.  The conditioning is one thing, not playing for two years is another. 

I agree with this..  It would be lovely to snag a great S but OLB and OL is just too huge a need IMO

BUT, if Indy really likes one of the S then it would not shock me to see Indy pull the trigger.    

I don't see S as an immediate need just because we aren't super deep there

Unless the helmet and pads have changed.........I do not believe pads and helmet weigh anywhere near 10-15 lbs. 

I think ILB and S are bigger needs than OLB...

Nobody knows how Sidbury and and Walden will work out, but I think that our roster is pretty set there in the coaches'/GM's eyes, for now.

Angerer and Conner are both good talents, but are both FAs next season... I have my doubts about Angerer in the scheme we run and couldn't evaluate last season because of injury.. I think we should probably use a high pick at ILB and create competition and allow ourselves to be in a good bargaining position when we negotiate with our current ILBs.. it would be nice to have options in case of injury as well. There is a roster spot waiting for the guy when he gets here..

S is another position that we really need to address in this draft... this draft is deep at S. We have no real depth there and Landry has injury concerns (no surprise considering the way he hits).. I know he played 16 games last year, but I wouldn't count on Bethea and Landry starting 16 apiece this coming year... Bethea is getting older and is a FA next season... I like his style and I don't agree with many on here that he has lost a step, but a S from the draft could save big $$ over resigning him, while providing stable backup in the meantime.

My (latest) Colts list of needs (in order from biggest to smallest) is as follows.. (I'm no expert, obviously, but this is a fan forum after all.) Keep in mind that I am thinking ahead to 2014 as well:

1. OG

2. C

3. S (depth)

4. WR (Reggie replacement)

5. RB (depth, plus DB becomes FA after 2013)  

6. CB (depth, even if we resign Davis)

7. OT (depth)

8. ILB (depth, plus roster turnover after 2013)

9. OLB (Mathis replacement)

10. DE (Redding replacement)

11. NT (depth)

12. K

13.TE (depth)

14. FB

15. QB (depth)

I really hope he does.  But lets face it, he hasn't played in a while.  Conditioning isn't the same as football conditioning.  And finally, he didn't play a strong level of competition.

I'm not putting him down, those are all facts.  That all being said, no one thought Freeman would be as good as he turned out.  So there's hope. 

And you guys are right, that is a position of need.  After Freeman, Angerer and Conner, we get pretty thin.

I wouldnt necessarily say he didnt play a " strong " level of competition because Army in the time he was there played SEC schools (even if it wasnt bama,lsu, UGA or UF) and according to SEC fans thats the toughest conference no matter what team it is, they played B1G schools, ACC Schools, and even Big East schools not to mention playing Notre Dame. so he still faced major conference schools. 

but him not playing in awhile and the conditioning i agree with you on. and Angerer i dont see being resigned after the season. he wasnt much of a factor last year, he was hurt the year before that and i dont see him being a " big " contributor this year unless one of Freeman or Conner goes down. 

I think ILB and S are bigger needs than OLB...

Nobody knows how Sidbury and and Walden will work out, but I think that our roster is pretty set there in the coaches'/GM's eyes, for now.

Angerer and Conner are both good talents, but are both FAs next season... I have my doubts about Angerer in the scheme we run and couldn't evaluate last season because of injury.. I think we should probably use a high pick at ILB and create competition and allow ourselves to be in a good bargaining position when we negotiate with our current ILBs.. it would be nice to have options in case of injury as well. There is a roster spot waiting for the guy when he gets here..

S is another position that we really need to address in this draft... this draft is deep at S. We have no real depth there and Landry has injury concerns (no surprise considering the way he hits).. I know he played 16 games last year, but I wouldn't count on Bethea and Landry starting 16 apiece this coming year... Bethea is getting older and is a FA next season... I like his style and I don't agree with many on here that he has lost a step, but a S from the draft could save big $$ over resigning him, while providing stable backup in the meantime.

My (latest) Colts list of needs (in order from biggest to smallest) is as follows.. (I'm no expert, obviously, but this is a fan forum after all.) Keep in mind that I am thinking ahead to 2014 as well:

1. OG

2. C

3. S (depth)

4. WR (Reggie replacement)

5. RB (depth, plus DB becomes FA after 2013)  

6. CB (depth, even if we resign Davis)

7. OT (depth)

8. ILB (depth, plus roster turnover after 2013)

9. OLB (Mathis replacement)

10. DE (Redding replacement)

11. NT (depth)

12. K

13.TE (depth)

14. FB

15. QB (depth)

There is no guarantee that Bethea is resigned either, especially if he has another season like last year.. so finding his replacement is much needed.  

I wouldnt necessarily say he didnt play a " strong " level of competition because Army in the time he was there played SEC schools (even if it wasnt bama,lsu, UGA or UF) and according to SEC fans thats the toughest conference no matter what team it is, they played B1G schools, ACC Schools, and even Big East schools not to mention playing Notre Dame. so he still faced major conference schools. 

but him not playing in awhile and the conditioning i agree with you on. and Angerer i dont see being resigned after the season. he wasnt much of a factor last year, he was hurt the year before that and i dont see him being a " big " contributor this year unless one of Freeman or Conner goes down.

I checked, they actually beat Vandy in 09. They lost to ND in 10. So he's played against some good teams, unfortunately he played on some bad teams too so it's hard to judge at this point.

One thing was interesting, the year after he left, in 2011, they opened with N. Illinois and Chandler Harnish threw 5 TDs and ran for another. McNary can get some revenge in practice.

I see us wanting to pick up another ILB, but not sure one will be the BPA. I remember the someone saying last year that our ILBs were not the preferred size, not big enough, for our 3-4 scheme, especially with our serious concern with stopping the run. We need big guys to clog up the middle, use their size to get off blocks and power their way into lanes created by the front 3. Less coverage ability. Someone like Manti Te'o,and no I don't think we will pick him at all unless we trade back into the second round.

I checked, they actually beat Vandy in 09. They lost to ND in 10. So he's played against some good teams, unfortunately he played on some bad teams too so it's hard to judge at this point.

One thing was interesting, the year after he left, in 2011, they opened with N. Illinois and Chandler Harnish threw 5 TDs and ran for another. McNary can get some revenge in practice.

he was also the main reason they won their bowl game in the 10/11 season when he returned a fumble for a 55 yard TD. 

I see us wanting to pick up another ILB, but not sure one will be the BPA. I remember the someone saying last year that our ILBs were not the preferred size, not big enough, for our 3-4 scheme, especially with our serious concern with stopping the run. We need big guys to clog up the middle, use their size to get off blocks and power their way into lanes created by the front 3. Less coverage ability. Someone like Manti Te'o,and no I don't think we will pick him at all unless we trade back into the second round.

ppl should get off this second round talk for te'o.  he will be gone if not by chicago then by minnesota with the 23rd or 25th overall pick. Minnesota seems to like him and has a thing for Notre Dame players