Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Finally Grigs Has Begun To Answers Questions To My Satisfaction...

southwest1

Grigson was clear on Freeney's replacement. We will not have two pass rushers like we had before. He said we were spoiled with Mathis and Freeney. Most teams are lucky to have one. Ours is Mathis, who is still learning his new role. The other OLB will not be a rushing guru, but instead will be a "stop the run" guru. Walden will play against the run and will be replaced by Sidney or Hughes on passing downs. Before, we had two guys to rush the QB, now we will blitz and have different players going in and finding lanes to the QB. Different defense. If we needed to replace Freeney, he would be still playing for us.

No GM worth anything is going to tell you EVERYTHING at a presser. In fact most good ones aren't going to tell you anything. As fans we sometimes think we are entitled to know every little detail that goes on with the team. That's not the case. Grigson job is to build a good football team not inform the fans why he's doing what he's doing and what his future plans are. I would also say you can't take everything that Grigson says as being set in stone there are times as a GM that its smart not to answer everything 100% honest and not tell everything you know. For example if Grigson comes out and say yep we are looking for another pass rusher the asking price for any pass rusher Grigson calls just went up or if a team has their eyes on a pass rusher and he slips to say 23 and they know we are going to take him they are going to jump I front of us to get him. If they think we are debating between a pass rusher and other positions on the board they might hold pat. I am sure Grigson has an idea of what he wants the pass rusher spot to look like and a plan.

Also he might very well not know. He might think he knows in that he thinks they are good with Mathis and Hughes but if I have learned anything about Grogson it's that he's not going to stop always trying to make the team better. So even if he thinks Mathis and Hughes are good if he finds hi self in poistion to make it better he will. He's not going lock himself in till he has too. It's a smart move by a GM keeping an open mind and exploring all options.

Again Grigson is not judged on if we are satisfied with the way he answers questions are not. He's judged on if his team wins games or not. So I think you have to accept going in that in attempting to build the best team he can that a NFL GM might not always be forthcoming with information at a press conference.

Grigson was clear on Freeney's replacement. We will not have two pass rushers like we had before. He said we were spoiled with Mathis and Freeney. Most teams are lucky to have one. Ours is Mathis, who is still learning his new role. The other OLB will not be a rushing guru, but instead will be a "stop the run" guru. Walden will play against the run and will be replaced by Sidney or Hughes on passing downs. Before, we had two guys to rush the QB, now we will blitz and have different players going in and finding lanes to the QB. Different defense. If we needed to replace Freeney, he would be still playing for us.

This. I loved Freeney as much as the next Colts fan but people fail to realize that he just didn't fit the scheme. The fact that he is still unsigned and there haven't been any new developments ( at least I hadn't heard any) is not a good sign either.

Freeney and Mathis rushed the QB, plain and simple. This new scheme is all about stopping the run on the way to the QB.

Just to nitpick, he didn't necessarily say that we won't have two pass rushers like before. He said our focus isn't on having bookend rushers, which isn't something most teams have anyways. We were spoiled with Freeney and Mathis, but it's not like we're going to back away from having two pass rushers on the field at the same time in certain situations.

Just to nitpick, he didn't necessarily say that we won't have two pass rushers like before. He said our focus isn't on having bookend rushers, which isn't something most teams have anyways. We were spoiled with Freeney and Mathis, but it's not like we're going to back away from having two pass rushers on the field at the same time in certain situations.

Exactly. DEs can rush too.

The more elusive the better in my book.  Any real info he gives the fans is also info to everyone else.  I would hate for him to be thinking "well, I need to be more open for the fans sake, and I don't think this little tidbit will hurt so.....yes, we already have Freeney's replacement on the team."  YIKES!!!  I'd rather him be as secretive as possible if it makes it more likely that nothing important slips out.

On Grig's ToDo list:

Let's see.......prepare board for draft......check.

Meet with all players for information gathering or deception.......check.

Make sure I have answered Colt fan's quesitons to their satisfaction........check.

:thmup:

On Grig's ToDo list:

Let's see.......prepare board for draft......check.

Meet with all players for information gathering or deception.......check.

Make sure I have answered Colt fan's quesitons to their satisfaction........check.

:thmup:

Seriously.

I wouldn't mind not seeing or hearing from Grigson at all prior to the draft. He's got a lot on his plate right now. Taking an hour out of his schedule to do a presser seems appropriate, and it's fun for us, but I bet he could have spent another hour on the phone with his scouts instead.

Grigson can talk all he wants when we're hosting that Lombardi Trophy. He's got a lot of work to do right now. Big day coming for him as its his 2nd draft as our GM. And this time, he's "shorthanded" so to speak on picks. He's gotta work on that draft.

Just let him make it through the draft and then I'm sure he'll talk about the upcoming season and answer some questions we all may have

Personally, I believe Mr. Grigson owes us nothing except to try to field the best team possible.

Not filled with all the best players, but the best team.

I believe in the 'need to know', and believe we don't need to know.

If he does open himself up to a Q&A, what makes us think he'll be able to be completely open and honest about everything we're curious about. And, when he's not, we get to criticize him further.

That's not why I'm here.

Yeah that's what happened with Polian every Monday night on the radio during past seasons.

NCF,

We have had this discussion before. " It's standard at all 32 teams." Again, I don't give a darn what 31 other teams do. I care about the candor, draft, & free agent moves of this franchise alone. Like my mom always told me as a little kid when I tried to say my neighbor's mom isn't so strict & let's me do X, Y, & Z. She'd say I don't care what our moms do or don't do. My house; my rules & I hold you to a higher standard.

Let's not play coy here okay. No, I didn't expect Grigs to say "we are doomed at that position & we need Freeney's replacement ASAP." I just hate the "aw shuks" we're looking into it stupid answer. Here's what's Grigs should have done: Smiled, laughed, & said "you don't think I'm gonna really tell that do ya? haha You know me I can never have enough pass rushers man!" It deflates the serious nature of the question, no mysteries have been revealed & you move onto the next question.

Are you seriously saying he should answer differently to entertain you? His job isn't to make fans laugh. If you want a fun press conference you can always chase the Jets' circus around.

There are times when deception is useful & yes even necessary. I understand exactly why Grigs said what he said, but no I am not encouraging him to give out misleading or misguided answers of any kind. However, there is an artform via language & tone of shutting down a line of questioning without being demeaning, condescending, or outright dismissive. I practice this in my profession almost everyday. Give the public just enough information to chew on & mull over but not enough to choke on & salivate over.

Sometimes I think you think too much. ;)

Do these Bill Polian answers look "cookie cutter" to you? Clearly, not every GM subscribes or subscribed to this philosophy Jvan...

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/THE-POLIAN-CORNER/bf22c0e0-11e1-49c4-b142-8eb5d60692c9

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/THE-POLIAN-CORNER-PART-1/2078b8e5-6382-4f99-a55a-1f63d7f279ab

Polian is no longer a GM for the Colts or any other team. So you are going to base your thoughts on GMs with Polian?  A very poor example as Polian was notoriously rude to the press and media. I find it ironic that Polian has a job as an annalist do to the fact he openly disliked them and most media people in general. 

Lemon cucumbers? Really? Or are you having a good old veggie joke? And I do apologise to all cucumber and all other watery vegetable fans. I should have said couscous......

The heirloom lemon cucumber is the perfect size for a single serving. They are an unusual change from normal cucumbers.

A very productive heirloom variety of cucumber with a unique lemon color and baseball shape. Great flavor and crunchy texture with a non-bitter skin. You get loads of 2-3" fruit from mid- summer to fall. Terrific for pickling and slicing. Very easy to grow!

prod_5026_6685_m.jpg