Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poor Jay Cutler

12>18

We talk all the time on here(I will let you guys guess what about) about offensive line and what it can mean for an offense and a QB. I hate Jay Cutler. I mean HATE. He is a whiner and a loser and a bad sport. He left one of the best situations that a QB can find himself in with an elite WR and an excellent offensive minded coach in Denver, quite possibly the easiest place to throw a football in the NFL with the obvious exceptions of domes, for easily the worst place in the NFL to throw a football, and no good WRs (though admittedly decent ones) just because he was being a giant baby. That being said, I feel awful for him. Watching him getting bull rushed yet again when he was already leading the league in sacks was depressing. "America's Game" against the Pack and Bears was barely worth watching. At no point did it seem like the Bears could contend.

Here's the real question I am pondering...How good/bad is Jay Cutler and this Bears team? What do you guys think? I have heard plenty of opinions on him. Generally people seem to say he has a great arm, but I didn't see that. I saw him lobbing up deep throws to get picked and overthrowing routes by five yards. I mean Rex Grossman (and by Grossman, of course I mean the Bears defense) took this team to the Super Bowl. The Bears still have an excellent defense (did you see that pick Urlacher had?), but with the Lions and the Pack in their division what do you guys see them doing this year?

i actually am a jay cutler fan. i love that rifle he calls an arm, but his problem is he thinks hes favre where he thinks he can fit any ball anywhere and theres no way its getting picked. cutler could be IMO a top 10 qb maybe top 5 if he had some help at wr and if he wasnt getting sacked all the time. as for your question, can the bears contend in their division no. i already said before the season even started that the lions will win that division and i dont see three teams coming out of that division and going to the playoffs.

I feel bad for the guy because that offensive line is terrible and Martz's system is a terrible fit.

Martz's system requires the QB ot hold the ball to allow the routes to finish down the field. When you have a horrible offensive line have long developing routes is just a terrible idea. Also, throw in pretty poor route runners like Knox and Hester and you have a terrible combination.

This is why I have always felt Martz is one of the most overrated offensive coordinators in the league. The guy is to rigid and instead of tweaking his sytem to fit the talents of his team he just tries to cram them into his system and it does not work out well.

They traded away his best receiving threat all because Martz refuses to realize the TE position has been revolutionized by guys like Olsen.

That's a good point wholeshow about Martz. I am sure it is his ego that gets in the way of changing his system. This team needs to get Forte involved more. It was downright depressing to watch them struggle through their offensive possessions and consistently only get him involved with a 3rd down screen or a 2nd and 25 draw. Just pathetic. Plus, he is on my fantasy team and having negative rushing yards for three quarters is not cutting it.

Watching him getting bull rushed yet again when he was already leading the league in sacks was depressing.

Are you serious? You are blaming Cutler for getting sacked every other play?

How about blame that god awful offensive line.

I am not a big fan of Cutler, but comon man, blaming a QB for sacks is ridiculous.

That's a good point wholeshow about Martz. I am sure it is his ego that gets in the way of changing his system. This team needs to get Forte involved more. It was downright depressing to watch them struggle through their offensive possessions and consistently only get him involved with a 3rd down screen or a 2nd and 25 draw. Just pathetic. Plus, he is on my fantasy team and having negative rushing yards for three quarters is not cutting it.

Martz is no mad scientist offensive coordinator. His system is only magical when he has the perfect talent for it. People forget that when the Rams were so dominate they had Faulk, Holt, Bruce, Prohel, and Hakim running around out there. A lot of teams barely even have one top tier WR and the Rams had two with Bruce and Holt. Hakim was a good slot WR and Prohel was a good veteran 4th WR. Their offensive line was very good at pass blocking and gave Warner/Bulger tons of time to let the routes develop and yet they still both got beat to heck back there. Their defense was very underrated as well so it made up for some of the mistakes that happened with that offense.

They need to get that running game going in Chicago to take some pressure off of Cutler. He will not last much longer.

"Are you serious? You are blaming Cutler for getting sacked every other play?

How about blame that god awful offensive line.

I am not a big fan of Cutler, but comon man, blaming a QB for sacks is ridiculous"

Settle...no one is blaming the QB for taking the sacks. It is a combination of the O-line and the routes taking too long to develop. The language doesn't even point the blame at anyone except the Bears in general.