Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning Under Pagano

unitaswestand

It would have been interesting had Peyton Manning played under a guy like Chuck Pagano. I know it has only been one year.  But Pagano seems to give the Colts that fighter mentality and toughness that I think has been missing since the 1995 Colts.  I know I will likely be attacked because the Colts won so many games with Manning at QB.   But I think if you take into consideration Manning's talent with the talent around him, they Colts underachieved.   Manning never had a combination of a balanced running attack with a solid defense.   The only stretch that every happened was the playoffs when they won the Super Bowl.

I have predicted that the Luck Colts will ultimately be more successful than the Manning Colts as far as Super Bowl wins.  And I think the reason why is because of the coaching and the strategy mindset.  Luck will be a major piece of a puzzle, where Manning basically had to carry everything.  I think Dungy was a bit overrated.  Great guy and good defensive coach, but as Jim Mora and Jim Caldwell showed, ANYONE would win as long as Manning was back there.

It would have been interesting had Peyton Manning played under a guy like Chuck Pagano. I know it has only been one year.  But Pagano seems to give the Colts that fighter mentality and toughness that I think has been missing since the 1995 Colts.  I know I will likely be attacked because the Colts won so many games with Manning at QB.   But I think if you take into consideration Manning's talent with the talent around him, they Colts underachieved.   Manning never had a combination of a balanced running attack with a solid defense.   The only stretch that every happened was the playoffs when they won the Super Bowl.

I have predicted that the Luck Colts will ultimately be more successful than the Manning Colts as far as Super Bowl wins.  And I think the reason why is because of the coaching and the strategy mindset.  Luck will be a major piece of a puzzle, where Manning basically had to carry everything.  I think Dungy was a bit overrated.  Great guy and good defensive coach, but as Jim Mora and Jim Caldwell showed, ANYONE would win as long as Manning was back there.

I completely agree.  I think that, as successful as the Manning era was, it could have been even more successful with a better coaching staff and a different philosophy in terms of team personnel, primarily in regards to the OL and defense.

There isn't any reason why we shouldn't of had 3-4 Lombardies during the Manning era. Sad when you think about it.

Just doesn't work out that way when another team in your conference has a QB about as good as yours but was also balanced. Manning always had a chance against the Pats but it was almost always a slight mismatch.

Really gotta stop putting the Peyton Manning threads in the "Colts Football" section of the forum. It always leads to trouble........ and I do mean ALWAYS

:sigh:

Colts past + present= colts football

The subject has nothing to do with the Broncos

Everyone seems to be claiming Pagono as a great coach and Grigson as a genius...Luck willed and carried that team and we could have easily been 5-11 if not for late game heroics...Pagano was a great story, but no one can say he is or will be a great coach yet, and Luck would make any G.M look good and elevated the talent around him.

We underachieved miserably in the Manning Era, and should have had at least 3 Lombardis, but were outcoached and Manning choked consistently in the Playoffs. We had some young very talented teams that should have been all-time great teams.

We underachieved miserably in the Manning Era, and should have had at least 3 Lombardis, but were outcoached and Manning choked consistently in the Playoffs. We had some young very talented teams that should have been all-time great teams.

All-time great offense, above average defense at times.