Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pollack And The Oline

jbaron04

This is the first game I've had the opportunity to watch and I was plesantly surprised with the entire o-line. Pollack looked pretty good and I didn't hear Linkenback's name during bad plays. And Collinsworth had quite a few good things to say about the line performance.

Castanzo got beat a few times but hey, he's a rookie and that happens to the best at times.

And the run blocking was pretty darn good. I also hope people will get off of Addai's back a little bit. I think he was showing last night that if you give him a little hole he can get it done.

Link had a good game.

Pollack played excellent. There was one play where AC and Link did their drop step and were forming the pocket. Saturday and Reitz were doubling a guy but they were 3 yards in the backfield and there was Pollack, man to man with Ziggy Hood (I believe) and had him stoned right at the LOS, he didn't give an inch.

Of course if people were to listen to me regarding the oline they would not be surprised by such things. (I kid, I kid) :td:

Link had a good game.

Pollack played excellent. There was one play where AC and Link did their drop step and were forming the pocket. Saturday and Reitz were doubling a guy but they were 3 yards in the backfield and there was Pollack, man to man with Ziggy Hood (I believe) and had him stoned right at the LOS, he didn't give an inch.

Of course if people were to listen to me regarding the oline they would not be surprised by such things. (I kid, I kid) :td:

The line did play great!! AC was beat a couple of times but its Pitt they have a good pass rush. I think Rietz & AC are Ok on run stuff but better passing in time hopefully the will be better run blockers. I thought Pollack & Jeff played there * off! :applause:

I was really impressed with the O-line. Especially considering the collective youth on the line, Saturday the obvious exception. I fully expected Link to get benched halfway through this game because of how good Pitt's pass rush can be, but he rose to the occasion. Castonzo got beaten on the sack-fumble, but I thought he had a solid game otherwise. And, I thought it was pretty clear that Pollack outperformed what Diem had been giving us this year. The holes they were opening for the running game were very impressive, and Addai had to appreciate it because he seemed to be having his best game in quite some time.

I'm anxious to see what Ijalana can do, but honestly the O-line was so good Sunday night that I'm not sure where to put Big Ben. I thought he would supplant Linkenbach, but Link was solid the whole game.

I will say I was impressed with both Link and with Pollack. I too figured this would be the game they made the switch into the game with Link just because of prior play. This buys him a few more weeks and if his play is what we seen Sunday, he may keep the spot and fight it out next year. AC got his lunch handed to him a couple times and I thought he got pushed back more in this game than we have seen so far but I will take his performance out of a LT rookie since he should learn from it and make him better. As many say, it is a great Pitt defense so take that into account. Reitz, He has some gaffs and still needs work but lets not get crazy, the line played well for (1) game so we shall see if we had a trend or a special occassion. I will still be upset if we don't take a high draft pick for the line next season though.

I only remember him getting beat once in the pass game, on the sack fumble.

And it wouldn't have been a sack fumble had Painter thrown it to Garcon when he was supposed to. Yes, Anthony could have had better technique there. But the route was a stick and Painter looked right at him, was indecisive, and paid for it.

And it wouldn't have been a sack fumble had Painter thrown it to Garcon when he was supposed to. Yes, Anthony could have had better technique there. But the route was a stick and Painter looked right at him, was indecisive, and paid for it.

I saw that too, and yelled, "THROW THE :cuss: BALL CURTIS!!!". I lost my mind when he just froze long enough for Harrison and Palomalu to get back there.

But the O-line did exception against the Steelers of all teams. Addai's pass blocking is seriously second to known amongst the RB's in this league, guys such a team player.

Although, I hated when they weren't adjust to Troy, who basically played on the line of scrimmage 4 all of the 4th Q. They did at times, only when they ran it away from him.

But the left him unblocked waaaaay too many times. And it took him little time to figure out the snap count.

How was he supposed to throw it with Polamalu jumping in the air just as he was ready to throw it?

Fumble%252520Sack.JPG

So to play that game, it would have been a throw to garcon had troy not jumped into the throwing lane.

How was he supposed to throw it with Polamalu jumping in the air just as he was ready to throw it?

Fumble%252520Sack.JPG

Feel the back side rush, step up, and quickly throw it away toward the 30 yd arrow where only Garcon can make a play for it, which is inside of Polamalu and away from Pit # 56

The O-Line looked amazing! Here's to hoping we improve with each game this season. If that happens, we might actually be able to give Peyton some time next year in the pocket. Beware opposing defenses...beware! I'm just hoping we gradually start getting Ijalana in there to see what he can do. Just get his feet wet with a few running plays one game. Then gradually introduce him to a pass here and there. I have loved our draft class and UDFAs this year. If Ijalana gets into a groove, it will just be icing on the cake.

Feel the back side rush, step up, and quickly throw it away toward the 30 yd arrow where only Garcon can make a play for it, which is inside of Polamalu and away from Pit # 56

He has no idea that backside pressure is coming. AC got beat like he stole something, and Painter didn't know because his eyes were downfield. You can look at a snapshot and say "he could have done X and it would have worked perfectly," and you're right, but that's a completely different story from what happened on the field on that one play. In a split second, he had to decipher that he couldn't get the ball to his intended receiver because of Polamalu's interference, and before he had time to reload he was getting hit. The rest of the line did their job, AC didn't, and Painter got hit from his blind side. I'll give Painter a little blame for not stepping up immediately, but ultimately, the fault is AC's. I really don't think it's fair to hold that play against Painter, and all the people saying that play is an example of why he can't play quarterback or saying "the bad outweighed the good" are overselling it a bit, if you ask me. This kind of sack/fumble happens to seasoned vets all the time. This is what happened to Mr. Collins against the Texans, except it was a frontside pressure and he should have definitely seen it coming.

Now, I have stated in another thread that he has to learn in that situation to bring the ball down and move (typically step up in the pocket) so that part I agree with, the QBs that learn how to do that stay in the league the QBs that don't don't stick around for long. The picture was posted in response to he somehow had Garcon wide open and an easy pass but didn't take it.

Now, I have stated in another thread that he has to learn in that situation to bring the ball down and move (typically step up in the pocket) so that part I agree with, the QBs that learn how to do that stay in the league the QBs that don't don't stick around for long. The picture was posted in response to he somehow had Garcon wide open and an easy pass but didn't take it.

My description based on the posted picture was made semi-facetiously. Of course the reality of the play can and will be very different than the obvious revealed in a snapshot.

That being said, I agree with you, Coffee. Great QBs, like Manning, have eyes in the side of their head and can "sense" blindside rushes coming. Manning is a master of this. Perhaps it is just better peripheral vision, but I'm thinking as a QB drops back, he needs to glance at what the rush is and then quickly adjust if necessary. The sack fumble for a td is becoming a Painter staple. He needs better awareness, plain and simple. Looking at the pocket on that particular play, the protection is good, other than the fact that Painter's drop was too deep, which gave the Pit rusher a great angle for getting around Castonzo. If Painter had planted in a shallower drop, Castonzo has good position to intercept and painter has the time to get rid of the ball quickly, maybe or maybe not as a completion. Regardless, no sack fumble TD and the Colts win the game.

Castonzo being beaten by the speed rush like he was on the play is the big concern I had with Castonzo, based on what I saw of him at the senior bowl. A lot of OTs have such troubles, though, so hopefully with Castonzo it will be the exception rather than an ongoing hole in his game.

In the Pit game I was impressed by both Pollack and Link.

In the game I came to the conclusion that, despite the initial hopes I had, Collins looks like a slow dinosaur in the pocket. At this point, unless he shows incredible improvement, the Colts might as well go with Painter.

To have any hope for this season to be miraculously salvaged, the Colts MUST win their next three games. At this point, as grim as it may be, I think Painter offers a better chance of making that ahppen than does Collins. I think I am pretty much prepared to declare the Collins experiment a failure. Painter is going to have to have significantly improve in the area of sensing the rush and stepping up to unload the ball, though, or he will be no better. I am not optimistic about Painter, but I will hope for the best.

My description based on the posted picture was made semi-facetiously. Of course the reality of the play can and will be very different than the obvious revealed in a snapshot.

I know but it was still a valid point and it's one of those things that come with experience IMO. After you have a couple of sack fumble/TDs you learn to drop back look, look... move.
That being said, I agree with you, Coffee. Great QBs, like Manning, have eyes in the side of their head and can "sense" blindside rushes coming. Manning is a master of this. Perhaps it is just better peripheral vision, but I'm thinking as a QB drops back, he needs to glance at what the rush is and then quickly adjust if necessary.
Manning is good at it but he hasn't always been. Remember in Manning's first two years when he got sacked early in the game, he'd start seeing (what I call) ghosts... whenever anything crossed his periphery he was moving even if he didn't need to. Now he is much better at reacting but not over reacting.
The sack fumble for a td is becoming a Painter staple. He needs better awareness, plain and simple.
Two times is not a staple but I do agree he needs to have better field awareness and the only way to do that is to be on the field against an opponent.
Looking at the pocket on that particular play, the protection is good, other than the fact that Painter's drop was too deep, which gave the Pit rusher a great angle for getting around Castonzo. If Painter had planted in a shallower drop, Castonzo has good position to intercept and painter has the time to get rid of the ball quickly, maybe or maybe not as a completion. Regardless, no sack fumble TD and the Colts win the game.
I disagree about the drop being too deep but it may be. It looked like a standard 5 step drop, look, sack.
Castonzo being beaten by the speed rush like he was on the play is the big concern I had with Castonzo, based on what I saw of him at the senior bowl. A lot of OTs have such troubles, though, so hopefully with Castonzo it will be the exception rather than an ongoing hole in his game.
I've been really impressed with AC and that one sack is not going to change that. That is the 2nd time it's happened all season (the first got overlooked because Link's guy got there first). There are going to be times when he gets beat but, even in his early career, it's happened so rarely and he has faced some tough OLBs and DEs already.
In the Pit game I was impressed by both Pollack and Link.

In the game I came to the conclusion that, despite the initial hopes I had, Collins looks like a slow dinosaur in the pocket. At this point, unless he shows incredible improvement, the Colts might as well go with Painter.

To have any hope for this season to be miraculously salvaged, the Colts MUST win their next three games. At this point, as grim as it may be, I think Painter offers a better chance of making that ahppen than does Collins. I think I am pretty much prepared to declare the Collins experiment a failure. Painter is going to have to have significantly improve in the area of sensing the rush and stepping up to unload the ball, though, or he will be no better. I am not optimistic about Painter, but I will hope for the best.

I have never been a Painter fan, I didn't like it when the Colts drafted him, I didn't like when he made the 53 man roster, I didn't like when they brought him back last year and I didn't like it they brought him back again this year he has always seem to crumble when the action is for real. But I must admit I was very impressed with him after the sack/fumble/td. He came back out and went 5-7 for 60 yards and drove the team for a game tying TD. There will be mistakes but just think if he can do one drive out of every 4 like that... the Colts are going to win a lot of games from this point forward.

Also did you notice the look on Wayne's face after Collins threw the ball 5 yards over his head for the 3rd time? I had to laugh it was an expression like, "What in the world are you throwing at?" Add a couple of expletives in there for the full effect.