Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1 week until draft (2 scenarios here)

1st scenario(stay put and take BPA)

1- Options here include players like OLB Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB Bjoern Werner, CB Xavier Rhodes.

2nd scenario(trade down if no studs available)

2- Options include OG Larry Warford, DE Datone Jones, WR Keenan Allen

3- Options include OLB Jamie Collins, OG/C Travis Frederick

My overall thought on this draft is we have to improve our LBs and more importantly our pass rush. We could use an ILB later in the draft too since Angerer is hurt a lot. Getting a strong LB core will only make our defense more formitable. If great pass rushers at OLB are not available, then a very good CB or pass rushing DE would help along with an OG to fortify the OL.

Jamie Collins won't be there in the 3rd.

I hope not to tell ya the truth (although I think its a very strong possibility if you look some of his weaknesses, primarily his strength and poor tackling technique). I would much rather have Corey Lemonier or Brian Winters

I hope not to tell ya the truth (although I think its a very strong possibility if you look some of his weaknesses, primarily his strength and poor tackling technique). I would much rather have Corey Lemonier or Brian Winters

Great, but I have a hard time believing that a guy being projected as a 1st round pick is going to fall to basically the 4th round.

Great, but I have a hard time believing that a guy being projected as a 1st round pick is going to fall to basically the 4th round.

I don't think he's being projected as a 1st round pick by anyone reputable anymore.

He was hot right after the combine....   now I think he's settled in as a 2nd/3rd player....   I think the first round talk has faded....

Have you seen something recently that says 1st round??

I don't think he's being projected as a 1st round pick by anyone reputable anymore.

He was hot right after the combine....   now I think he's settled in as a 2nd/3rd player....   I think the first round talk has faded....

Have you seen something recently that says 1st round??

Just the sources I showed you before. They may be outdated, but no other OLBers have done anything to raise their stock and he hasn't done anything to lower his.

If you don't think he'll go in the first then that's fine, but he'll go in the 2nd based off of athleticism alone.

:01 Diving at feet

:11 good lateral agility there on the tackle

:20 blown off the LOS

:29 Feet diving (poor tackling)

:39 diving again

:53 feet diving again

1:27 feet diving again BUT a good 2nd effort

1:37 Blitz looked a bit late (someone confirm?)

1:54 Blown off the ball followed by foot diving

2:04 nice blitz I'd like to see some form of pass rush moves

2:18 Did good finding the ball after initially getting stopped on the pass rush

2:32 looks lost in coverage 

2:40 late off the ball....trouble rounding the corner when blocked to?

3:03 have trouble avoiding bodies diving at his feet?

3:15 strength problem holding containment, he was launched into orbit

3:28 Lack of pass rush moves, got stonewalled

3:38 Lack on pass rush moves

3:54 Good effort but hip turn an issue?

4:03 great play recognition, good tackle

4:13 flashes strength there and good finding the ball

4:28 good forcing the QB out of bounds

4:38 Hip turn an issue but good effort and avoiding the Nebraska player diving at his feet

4:51 did go disengaging from the O Linemen

5:04 good trying to get his hand up in case he had a chance at a deflected pass but lack of pass rush moves and lack of active hands

5:17 inactive hands, lack of pass rush moves

5:25 got caught staring at the QB in an obvious run formation on 1 and 10

5:37 shoved off the ball but good job disengaging

5:48 caught looking at the QB again on 1st an 10 in obvious run formation

Not worth a 1st round pick in my opinion. play recognition is questionable, inconsistent tackling technique, hip turn is questionable, Inactive hands, lack pass rush moves repertoire

He wont sniff the first and if he does its a serious reach(in my opinion), I just hope we are not the team that reaches, Hey Ilke him......But I like him in the 3rd where there is no pressure for him to start from day one like some seem to think Hughes was meant to (because he WAS  drafted in the 1st round, Im gonna go ahead and call it now, no chance we draft him in the 1st and almost as small a chance he gets drafted in the 1st at all

I disagree with your overall thought.  The front-7 is very deep, and Grigson brought in the players he wanted in FA.  Any pass-rushers you draft will ride the bench this year (what with our PB OLB and very high salary FA acquisitions).  Like it or not, Grigson brought in Walden, RJF, Franklin, and Sidbury, filling in the depth chart.  The area he left to the draft was OL.

I disagree with your overall thought. The front-7 is very deep, and Grigson brought in the players he wanted in FA. Any pass-rushers you draft will ride the bench this year (what with our PB OLB and very high salary FA acquisitions). Like it or not, Grigson brought in Walden, RJF, Franklin, and Sidbury, filling in the depth chart. The area he left to the draft was OL.

I agree with your statement. I think that grigson has filled all the positions of need in the front 7. But i dont know how much i trust our CB group. That being said i would like to see us draft xavior rhodes or desmond trufont in the first .....after that i would like to see a guard in the 3rd and a safty in the 4th. Every good pass rush starts with good coverage imo.

I agree with your statement. I think that grigson has filled all the positions of need in the front 7. But i dont know how much i trust our CB group. That being said i would like to see us draft xavior rhodes or desmond trufont in the first .....after that i would like to see a guard in the 3rd and a safty in the 4th. Every good pass rush starts with good coverage imo.

Y'know, that is an area that will likely bring the best available athlete at a position of need.  Trufant, Rhodes, Hayden (late riser)...those are guys that can definitely help the secondary.  CB and even RB makes a lot more sense to me than front-7.  But I think it's a pretty weak OL year once you get out of those first two rounds, so I'd force an OL pick in that first round.  It'll lead to a better overall draft, and it's the only scenario that sufficiently addresses the OL IMHO.

Y'know, that is an area that will likely bring the best available athlete at a position of need. Trufant, Rhodes, Hayden (late riser)...those are guys that can definitely help the secondary. CB and even RB makes a lot more sense to me than front-7. But I think it's a pretty weak OL year once you get out of those first two rounds, so I'd force an OL pick in that first round. It'll lead to a better overall draft, and it's the only scenario that sufficiently addresses the OL IMHO.

Agreed :). I think running back is a good pick ( montee ball or christine micheal ). I also like kyle long guard outta oregan......he has a mean streek in him that i think would make the interior of our line soo much better. Im tired of always watching a colts game and everytime we hand the ball off or take a pass under center we already got our interior o-line pushed back in our face in seconds. I want someone in there that can take his man and completely mug him at the LOS. Although im not sure if he is gunna be there in the 3rd round IMO.

Y'know, that is an area that will likely bring the best available athlete at a position of need.  Trufant, Rhodes, Hayden (late riser)...those are guys that can definitely help the secondary.  CB and even RB makes a lot more sense to me than front-7.  But I think it's a pretty weak OL year once you get out of those first two rounds, so I'd force an OL pick in that first round.  It'll lead to a better overall draft, and it's the only scenario that sufficiently addresses the OL IMHO.

Hmmm....it looks like the ideal draft to get quality OL in the 3rd and 4th to me guys that might start early, I'm in favor of a first Rd. guard but not if a player of greater impact is there.

:01 Diving at feet

:11 good lateral agility there on the tackle

:20 blown off the LOS

:29 Feet diving (poor tackling)

:39 diving again

:53 feet diving again

1:27 feet diving again BUT a good 2nd effort

1:37 Blitz looked a bit late (someone confirm?)

1:54 Blown off the ball followed by foot diving

2:04 nice blitz I'd like to see some form of pass rush moves

2:18 Did good finding the ball after initially getting stopped on the pass rush

2:32 looks lost in coverage

2:40 late off the ball....trouble rounding the corner when blocked to?

3:03 have trouble avoiding bodies diving at his feet?

3:15 strength problem holding containment, he was launched into orbit

3:28 Lack of pass rush moves, got stonewalled

3:38 Lack on pass rush moves

3:54 Good effort but hip turn an issue?

4:03 great play recognition, good tackle

4:13 flashes strength there and good finding the ball

4:28 good forcing the QB out of bounds

4:38 Hip turn an issue but good effort and avoiding the Nebraska player diving at his feet

4:51 did go disengaging from the O Linemen

5:04 good trying to get his hand up in case he had a chance at a deflected pass but lack of pass rush moves and lack of active hands

5:17 inactive hands, lack of pass rush moves

5:25 got caught staring at the QB in an obvious run formation on 1 and 10

5:37 shoved off the ball but good job disengaging

5:48 caught looking at the QB again on 1st an 10 in obvious run formation

Not worth a 1st round pick in my opinion. play recognition is questionable, inconsistent tackling technique, hip turn is questionable, Inactive hands, lack pass rush moves repertoire

He still went in the 2nd round like I predicted. Okafor is still on the board as well.