Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching Staff

hurricane1122

As far as Clark's troubles in blocking, in a nut shell, 1 play I saw Clark 1 on 1 while 1 of the DTs was getting triple teamed unnecessarily .

Clark has responsibility to block but the blocking scheme should have someone helping him unless everyone on the line is man to man

The coaching staff constantly failed to make adjustments last night. Most importantly they kept Collins in and completely ignored that the defense was playing lights out and his ineffectiveness. They had Clark on Harrison for better half of two quarters (after seeing what clark couldnt do against super mario week 1). They played tjohnson on 2nd down and then put lacey back in on 3rd and long resulting in a steelers first down (numerous times). Not to mention that the play calling was terribly predictable. 1st down a TE screen. 2nd down a run from under center, 3rd and long a WR screen (really?!)The Colts defense showed they have some solid players (minus lacey) that are up and coming and can shut down the run of a power run team. The problem is the coaching staff and the colts will never reach their full potential as long as they are handcuffed by their coaches. Coaches need to put the players in the game that give them the best chance to win and that is not collins and lacey.

You could not have voluntarily gone to Curtis Painter....You know that.

The coaches did vert well last night....we made a couple of position changes defensively that really helped..

..and whoever was calling plays (and I suspect they had some help) called some outstanding plays..that should have been big gains..

...Collins and Painter simply could not execute them...and we know why in both cases..

I disagree with the OP, this is not on the colts coaching staff, just for some simple facts....

Colts lacked in run defense... Brung in players like anderson and brayton and drafted nevis

Colts needed depth at CB they went and got rucker

The colts scheme needed revision so they did that with more blitz's

Lacey wasnt making plays so they are trying out different players, TJ and Tryon got playing time in laceys spot

Colts needed to run the ball better they made adjustments in the off season and made some changes to the Line

The colts may not be changing players as fast as ppl do on madden but they are evaluating the players they have constantly and making sure they dont give up on one player or give him a good amount of time to show what he has... the colts stopped the run in the steelers game didnt it? so i find it hard to fault the coaches for this loss it was just some plays by the other team and bad throws by collins.

OP....you have to be joking. The coaching staff is responsible for this loss?? This game was predicted to be a boat race, with the predictions of 45-10, 31-0, 28-3, etc...And the Colts gave the Steelers everything they had. Sure there were some errors, as all staffs make. But the defensive game plan was pretty good with the exception of the Wallace TD...You do realize the team that was supposed to destroy the Colts scored exactly ONE offensive TD, right? The other was a sack fumble of Painter. The rest were FGs which is a defensive win. Yes, they lost. But don't pin this one on the staff. Hindsight is 20/20, pal...If Painter doesn't sail that pass to Garcon(no doubt nerves due to being thrown in there so fast; he settled down) it's a TD. The run game was solid, we shut theirs down. The last Steelers drive was the product of a defense that was gassed, IMO. Did you see Freeney's jersey near the end of the game? It was SOAKED. When the D has to play so much they're going to wear down.

This was a winnable game when nearly everyone thought the Steelers would steamroll the Colts. If anything the coaching staff was responsible for the Colts being in this thing until the end!!

Foster hasn't started since 2008 when he was one of three healthy tackles on the roster. Terrance Johnson eventually took over for Lacey last night.

terrance johnson hits like bob sanders alot of good young talent on this defense, if we dont win we can at least enjoy the defensive show they put on

I'm not going to jump on the coaching staff, they obviously did much to turn some things around.

The one fault I will launch at them is.....it seriously took a concussion to get Collins out of there? Seriously? How much suck must one suck before the coaches huddle up and someone says "Collins sucks"?

He should've been given the Gong Show Hook at the half. Can we please stop worrying about what we paid him and worry more about winning?

because of good coaching adjustments we didnt get blown out like everyone said we would, and we almost won, shocked all the experts, more good things to come

Don't get your hopes up. Defensively we may be OK but we are still operating with Curtis Painter. Only so much you can do. I still see Painter as a perpetual back up QB and not a very good one at that. That #1 pick is looking more and more like a possibility and I hate to say that. Maybe the defense can outright win a few games for us. Here's hoping Painter surprises me.

There are a ton of threads this can be said about right now... It's like losing has induced and epidemic of stupidity...

I see you in nearly every thread you post in calling the Majority of the Posters there stupid.....yet you never seem to add anything concrete of your own. Do you need a hug?

The coaches did make adjustments though, so the OP is wrong. Eldridge did come in to block on the side of Harrison, and Painter replaced Collins following an injury + 3 consecutive stalled drives. The timing was right on both. One screw up can be an aberration or a great play by the opposing team. When it happens 2 or 3 times, then considerations have to be made. I, for one, am satisfied that our coaches don't knee-jerk react to every little thing. They give players a chance to do their job.

There was one error we kept making, however, and that was the awful run-around-the-field stunt they kept calling with Mathis. It gave Fat Ben too much time.

On the whole, I think people who were hard on the coaches need to eat a big, steaming pile of crow and zip it for a while.

I agree with you, but I remember the looping stunts by the DEs resulting in sacks in the past. The announcers made a big deal about it failing miserably twice, but the question is "why did it fail", or "why didn't Mathis adjust when he found his route blocked".

how am i wrong when i said they had clark on harrison for the better half of two quarters? what do u think happened after that? obviously an adjustment was made but thats too much time of clark trying to block harrison. By the way, had Collins not been injured he would have finished the game. Lets be real.

Collins would not have finished the game. The decision to warm Painter up came before any medical experts paid Collins a visit.

Clark blocked Harrison on 3 plays, if I'm not mistaken. Eldridge was pancaking him on dozens. The adjustment was made before things got out of hand, and we still had a 13-10 lead at half, by the way. So "for the better part of 2 quarters" is greatly exaggerated when compared to actual time.

Furthermore, it was coaching that got our defense ready to play the way they did. It was players who gave up a defensive touchdown to the Steelers, dropped passes, threw poor balls, and missed assignments.

The players, not the coaches, cost us this ball game.

Don't get your hopes up. Defensively we may be OK but we are still operating with Curtis Painter. Only so much you can do. I still see Painter as a perpetual back up QB and not a very good one at that. That #1 pick is looking more and more like a possibility and I hate to say that. Maybe the defense can outright win a few games for us. Here's hoping Painter surprises me.

During the game the announcers pointed out Collin's utter ineffectiveness in trying to hit Reggie Wayne. They then repeated Wayne's comments to the effect that "when I'm playing with Peyton I turn around and the ball is there, when I'm playing with Collins I turn around and he's still holding the ball looking at me". Painter then came in the game and shortly afterwards nailed Garcon with a timing pass exactly as Wayne had described Manning doing. And this was Painter walking in cold with no practice - Collins has been working with the first stringers for a month now. That's just one example.

After this effort and the Green Bay game you are still telling me that you don't see any upside with Painter? You must be trying pretty hard not to.

Collins would not have finished the game. The decision to warm Painter up came before any medical experts paid Collins a visit.

Clark blocked Harrison on 3 plays, if I'm not mistaken. Eldridge was pancaking him on dozens. The adjustment was made before things got out of hand, and we still had a 13-10 lead at half, by the way. So "for the better part of 2 quarters" is greatly exaggerated when compared to actual time.

Furthermore, it was coaching that got our defense ready to play the way they did. It was players who gave up a defensive touchdown to the Steelers, dropped passes, threw poor balls, and missed assignments.

The players, not the coaches, cost us this ball game.

The over throw to Garcon that was a touchdown by Painter? Collinsowrth pointed out on the broadcast what a great call that was by the coaches. Also it's pretty clear the coaches had the Steelers on their heals with the defensive game plan. At the end of the day it was the players who didn't get the job done like you and others said. The game plan was there the guys (mostly the QBs) didn't excute it.