Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching Staff

hurricane1122

The coaching staff constantly failed to make adjustments last night. Most importantly they kept Collins in and completely ignored that the defense was playing lights out and his ineffectiveness. They had Clark on Harrison for better half of two quarters (after seeing what clark couldnt do against super mario week 1). They played tjohnson on 2nd down and then put lacey back in on 3rd and long resulting in a steelers first down (numerous times). Not to mention that the play calling was terribly predictable. 1st down a TE screen. 2nd down a run from under center, 3rd and long a WR screen (really?!)The Colts defense showed they have some solid players (minus lacey) that are up and coming and can shut down the run of a power run team. The problem is the coaching staff and the colts will never reach their full potential as long as they are handcuffed by their coaches. Coaches need to put the players in the game that give them the best chance to win and that is not collins and lacey.

The coaching staff constantly failed to make adjustments last night. Most importantly they kept Collins in and completely ignored that the defense was playing lights out and his ineffectiveness. They had Clark on Harrison for better half of two quarters (after seeing what clark couldnt do against super mario week 1). They played tjohnson on 2nd down and then put lacey back in on 3rd and long resulting in a steelers first down (numerous times). Not to mention that the play calling was terribly predictable. 1st down a TE screen. 2nd down a run from under center, 3rd and long a WR screen (really?!)The Colts defense showed they have some solid players (minus lacey) that are up and coming and can shut down the run of a power run team. The problem is the coaching staff and the colts will never reach their full potential as long as they are handcuffed by their coaches. Coaches need to put the players in the game that give them the best chance to win and that is not collins and lacey.

I wont reject any of this out of hand, in fact, I found myself thinking some of the same things. The one thing I do disagree with is Clark. He has to do his job, no matter who he is asked to block. He needs to cut, or hold inside, or do something other than quit and let guys run right past him. I agree with everything else you said though.

you need to stop with the same ole nonsense coaching staff coach a good game thier not on the field dropping passing and missing throws pls man

clark need to man up and work on his run blocking i dont want to here he is a receiving TE he is a man so man up and make the darn block

im tired of hearing all this crying why is the coach staff have clark blocking m.williams why do we have clark blocking harrison

you talking about being predictable well what would we be if we never ran to the side clark is blocking or we take him out when were gonna run

point blank man up and play you are one of the highest paid at your position

do you think that the coaching staff is handcuffing the players or that management is hand cuffing the coaching staff you coach who you have

The coaches did make adjustments though, so the OP is wrong. Eldridge did come in to block on the side of Harrison, and Painter replaced Collins following an injury + 3 consecutive stalled drives. The timing was right on both. One screw up can be an aberration or a great play by the opposing team. When it happens 2 or 3 times, then considerations have to be made. I, for one, am satisfied that our coaches don't knee-jerk react to every little thing. They give players a chance to do their job.

There was one error we kept making, however, and that was the awful run-around-the-field stunt they kept calling with Mathis. It gave Fat Ben too much time.

On the whole, I think people who were hard on the coaches need to eat a big, steaming pile of crow and zip it for a while.

The coaches did make adjustments though, so the OP is wrong. Eldridge did come in to block on the side of Harrison, and Painter replaced Collins following an injury + 3 consecutive stalled drives. The timing was right on both. One screw up can be an aberration or a great play by the opposing team. When it happens 2 or 3 times, then considerations have to be made. I, for one, am satisfied that our coaches don't knee-jerk react to every little thing. They give players a chance to do their job.

There was one error we kept making, however, and that was the awful run-around-the-field stunt they kept calling with Mathis. It gave Fat Ben too much time.

On the whole, I think people who were hard on the coaches need to eat a big, steaming pile of crow and zip it for a while.

how am i wrong when i said they had clark on harrison for the better half of two quarters? what do u think happened after that? obviously an adjustment was made but thats too much time of clark trying to block harrison. By the way, had Collins not been injured he would have finished the game. Lets be real.

I wont reject any of this out of hand, in fact, I found myself thinking some of the same things. The one thing I do disagree with is Clark. He has to do his job, no matter who he is asked to block. He needs to cut, or hold inside, or do something other than quit and let guys run right past him. I agree with everything else you said though.

I agree 100 percent that he has to do his job and be able to block anybody they tell him to. But if he cant the coaching staff needs to make adjustments sooner with a QB like collins. Had it been Manning back there it wouldnt be an issue because he would make his own blocking adjustment.

Coaching has been a problem with this team for a long time, even when Dungy was there. However our current staff as I have said before is close to one of the worst in the league. We have talent. I think management has put us in our current position by not having a solid backup to Manning. However I hope the lesson has been learned and we draft someone to learn from Manning so we can be successful for years to come. I also hope we get smart and get a real coaching staff that can use the talent we have more wisely.

I thought the coaches had a pretty good gameplan last night(and im not a huge fan of this staff at all). The one exception being, like Doogan said, the stupid stunts with Mathis are ridiculous. Overall, though I didn't have a lot of complaints with the staff last night.

I thought the coaches had a pretty good gameplan last night(and im not a huge fan of this staff at all). The one exception being, like Doogan said, the stupid stunts with Mathis are ridiculous. Overall, though I didn't have a lot of complaints with the staff last night.

I couldnt figure out the marathon stunts either. Mathis was doing just fine straight up....I couldnt believe it.

Coaching has been a problem with this team for a long time, even when Dungy was there. However our current staff as I have said before is close to one of the worst in the league. We have talent. I think management has put us in our current position by not having a solid backup to Manning. However I hope the lesson has been learned and we draft someone to learn from Manning so we can be successful for years to come. I also hope we get smart and get a real coaching staff that can use the talent we have more wisely.

this is a passing league now if you dont have a top flight qb to make the simple passes your gonna lose most games

the coaching staff ran the stuns as a delay to the passrush so when ben tries to sramble they catch him but it didnt work remember dungy showed us catching ben with it

i asked was wheeler better than brackett not angerer cause if we play with

angerer, bracett, conner

and brackett is better than wheeler then our best 3 linebackers our on the field

right or wrong?

Yep, those are our best three LB's, but Angerer has performed much better at Mike than Gary has, so maybe they will leave pat in there and move Gary? I dont know.

Clark is paid to play TE. A TE is to block and catch passes. ,,,,,,Clark earn your paycheck....

agree just because clark is our guy dont have to make excuses for him maybe he should take a pay cut if your cant do your job

he is employed at a job where you job discription is to catch passes and also block no excuses point blank

Yep, those are our best three LB's, but Angerer has performed much better at Mike than Gary has, so maybe they will leave pat in there and move Gary? I dont know.

i agree 100% i think than

angerer

wheeler

conner

gives us the best chance to win i personally think

angerer,wheeler and conner should be the starters with bracket and sims being the nickel linebackers

I agree that you would like to see clark hold those blocks a bit better. But let's be realitstic about this. The best offensive tackles in the game try to block Harrison and M Williams on a regular basis and it is not unusual that they get help from another lineman or they will get blown up. It is just asanine to continually try to have a guy who is not equipped with the size or skill to do such an important task. He is only a tight end by name, he is a receiving tight end who does his job on the field. They are just trying to force him to do a job he is not equipped to do.

I hope the coaching staff ditches this idea soon

I agree that you would like to see clark hold those blocks a bit better. But let's be realitstic about this. The best offensive tackles in the game try to block Harrison and M Williams on a regular basis and it is not unusual that they get help from another lineman or they will get blown up. It is just asanine to continually try to have a guy who is not equipped with the size or skill to do such an important task. He is only a tight end by name, he is a receiving tight end who does his job on the field. They are just trying to force him to do a job he is not equipped to do.

I hope the coaching staff ditches this idea soon

Absolutely, if he cant do it, then dont use him that way. More Eldrige and Tamme.

i have been one of the biggest critics of this staff, so i will take my little nibble of that pile. so that being said i see some defensive adjustments there were actually 8 or 9 guys in the box at times, but that being said this staff is far from elite. special teams needs to addressed TODAY! ! if not then that is a shame. very positive game and i do believe painter needs to play the rest of the year. getting blasted from behind 1. 5 seconds

after the snap is not his fault, and tempo seemed to be better with him in there. you know crow does'nt taste that bad every once in awhile. p.s, smitto i believe i will owe a you a you da man! after week 6.

I just get the feel that the coaching staff is still coaching as if Peyton was behind center. I see no indication of coaching to the talent you have. The coaches need to understand that the play calling needs to reflect the talent on the field, not the talent you "had" on the field.

coaching staff handcuffs the team by keeping players as starters that arent the best at the position (collins. brackett, lacey, foster.)

Foster hasn't started since 2008 when he was one of three healthy tackles on the roster. Terrance Johnson eventually took over for Lacey last night.

agree just because clark is our guy dont have to make excuses for him maybe he should take a pay cut if your cant do your job

he is employed at a job where you job discription is to catch passes and also block no excuses point blank

Nonsense. He's a pass catcher, a hybrid receiver. Not an inline blocker. Not someone who is expected to block top level edge rushers, but someone who is expected to run routes and catch the football. To pretend that Clark is something he's not, or try to make him be something he's not, is ridiculous. We've always known that he's deficient as a blocker, including when we drafted him in the first round, down to the time we made him one of the highest paid players at his position, until now, when we've had him blocking Mario Williams and James Harrison one on one. The problem there is that Dallas Clark is not a blocking tight end, and we need to stop putting him in impossible situations.

It's like saying "if Steve Nash can't play defense, then he needs to take a pay cut." Everyone knows who he is and of what he's capable. You play to his strengths, and you hide his deficiencies, and you have one of the best players at his position in the game. Same thing with Dallas. He's a matchup nightmare for defenses. Utilize him in that capacity. Stop setting him up for failure.

Nonsense. He's a pass catcher, a hybrid receiver. Not an inline blocker. Not someone who is expected to block top level edge rushers, but someone who is expected to run routes and catch the football. To pretend that Clark is something he's not, or try to make him be something he's not, is ridiculous. We've always known that he's deficient as a blocker, including when we drafted him in the first round, down to the time we made him one of the highest paid players at his position, until now, when we've had him blocking Mario Williams and James Harrison one on one. The problem there is that Dallas Clark is not a blocking tight end, and we need to stop putting him in impossible situations.

It's like saying "if Steve Nash can't play defense, then he needs to take a pay cut." Everyone knows who he is and of what he's capable. You play to his strengths, and you hide his deficiencies, and you have one of the best players at his position in the game. Same thing with Dallas. He's a matchup nightmare for defenses. Utilize him in that capacity. Stop setting him up for failure.

Nonsense too...You can't take him out for running plays and put him back in for passing plays, geez the defense will know what your going to do. My advice is get better at blocking, better technique maybe help with double team, period.

Nonsense too...You can't take him out for running plays and put him back in for passing plays, geez the defense will know what your going to do. My advice is get better at blocking, better technique maybe help with double team, period.

You don't have to take him out and put him back in. We've never done that in his eight years with the team. We've also never asked him to block elite pass rushers one-on-one, because we KNOW that he's not capable of doing it. So why are we pretending all of a sudden that it's a requirement for him?

Put him in situations that utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's what we've always done. Just look at the way we've always used him. It's not some radical, foreign concept.

Hidden

You don't have to take him out and put him back in. We've never done that in his eight years with the team. We've also never asked him to block elite pass rushers one-on-one, because we KNOW that he's not capable of doing it. So why are we pretending all of a sudden that it's a requirement for him?

Put him in situations that utilize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. It's what we've always done. Just look at the way we've always used him. It's not some radical, foreign concept.

Superjoke

i have been one of the biggest critics of this staff, so i will take my little nibble of that pile. so that being said i see some defensive adjustments there were actually 8 or 9 guys in the box at times, but that being said this staff is far from elite. special teams needs to addressed TODAY! ! if not then that is a shame. very positive game and i do believe painter needs to play the rest of the year. getting blasted from behind 1. 5 seconds

after the snap is not his fault, and tempo seemed to be better with him in there. you know crow does'nt taste that bad every once in awhile. p.s, smitto i believe i will owe a you a you da man! after week 6.

i told you guys all week ,i had inside info and the coaches were making adjustments, they fixed alot, more to fix