Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

D-Line looking impressive [Merge]

Dark Superman

Looked so good?

I'm thinking about the defensive line alone.. Have we ever had so much depth?

Just at the top f my head I can think of guys such as Chapman, Moala, McKinney, Franklin, Jean Francoise, Nevis and Redding.

Most of these guys have a ton of playing experience except for Chapman.

I really love what Grigson has done.

Continue to hunt and stop the run.

Looked so good?

Just at the top f my head I can think of guys such as Chapman, Moala, McKinney, Franklin, Jean Francoise, Nevis and Redding.

There aren't any proven game wreckers in the mix yet, but I share a high degree of confidence that the run D will be solid with this group.  If RJF emerges as a interior rush presence over time, then this starts to look like a difference making group.  Redding has a proven history of being decent as a pass rusher as well.  We still need another pocket pusher in development. 

Looks good on paper, but paper can't stop the run. I have a lot of optimism about the line so hopefully they don't disappoint!

Ahh, that's where you're wrong. Paper can stop the run. Have one of our guys throw a piece of paper at Arian Foster's facemask, bet he stops running lmao

Looked so good?

Freeney, Mathis, Brock and Bugger had their moments. But yes, this looks like it could really be something. Time will tell.

Freeney, Mathis, Brock and Bugger had their moments. But yes, this looks like it could really be something. Time will tell.

It's really a shame Booger blew out his knee in camp the year after the Super Bowl.  Had that team had Booger in the middle the Colts might have gone back-to-back with Super Bowl Titles even with the Freeney injury that season.  Oh well coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

It's really a shame Booger blew out his knee in camp the year after the Super Bowl.  Had that team had Booger in the middle the Colts might have gone back-to-back with Super Bowl Titles even with the Freeney injury that season.  Oh well coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

Just like Dungy's son in 2005...

We thought the same when Moala and Terrance Taylor were drafted too. I will go with cautious optimism.

We wont be as terrible as the 2006 regular season Colts and we wont be as bad as the 2012 regular season Colts but chances are, we wont be the Siragusa led 2000 Ravens either.

If we are top 16 in run D, pass D, yards allowed, 3rd down D and points allowed (first half of the league), I will gladly take it.

But it was me that said we will be top 10 in 3rd down D and points per game this year, so I have those categories to look closely at. :)

Surprised to read this thread, given the general love shown for UCLA DE Datone Jones as the Colt 1st rounder in various mock drafts, including at least 50% of those by Colt fans.  But I agree 100%.  A lot of depth at the position.  I show the LB depth chart to be something like:

OLB: Mathis, Hughes

ILB: Freeman, Harvey

ILB: Connor, Angerer

OLB: Walden, Sidbury

That group seems pretty dang deep to me too.  Sure, you can have your doubts about Walden, Sidbury, and Hughes, but it seems like Grigson has filled out the depth chart pretty well.  It's why I would be pretty surprised with a front-7 selection before the late rounds (when anything could happen).

Having more depth is a huge bonus.  Also, this being the second year of a new system on defense has to help.  I understand we have several new guys playing on the def. side of the ball, but I believe their skillset will go well with what Pagano is trying to do.

Monster has been built, apparently now on the defensive line.

Nose Tackles: Josh Chapman (6'0", 314) Brandon McKinney (6'2", 345) Martin Tevaseu (6'2", 325) Kellen Heard (6'6", 339) Aubrayo Franklin (6'1", 317)

Defensive Ends: Ricky Jean-Francois (6'3", 295) Cory Redding (6'4", 315) Fili Moala (6'4", 310) Drake Nevis (6'1", 310) Ricardo Mathews (6'3", 310) Lawrence Guy (6'4", 303)

Only one guy listed as less than 300 pounds. I like that our DEs can go toe to toe and pound to pound with the offensive linemen across from them. Hopefully, they will keep our LB clean to work their magic.

While at the end of 2013, we may end up saying that we need to do work on our Defensive Line; I really like our depth on paper and think/hope these guys can do what Pagano and Manusky want them to do.

I've never been so happy to see so many fat guys. Nice change for once in a while.

There aren't any proven game wreckers in the mix yet, but I share a high degree of confidence that the run D will be solid with this group.  If RJF emerges as a interior rush presence over time, then this starts to look like a difference making group.  Redding has a proven history of being decent as a pass rusher as well.  We still need another pocket pusher in development. 

I'm not sure our scheme is built for interior pass rushers of sorts. I believe the concept is for stout run stuffers through the middle and lane openers for the linebacking core in the passing game. A sack here and there is a plus of course, but I do not think anyone along the line will be expected to get consistent pressure. Similiar to how both the 49'ers and the Ravens are set up, and in contrast to how JJ Watt contributes for Houston.

That is one of the reasons that, despite really liking Maguns Hunt, I don't think he is a fit for us.

Surprised to read this thread, given the general love shown for UCLA DE Datone Jones as the Colt 1st rounder in various mock drafts, including at least 50% of those by Colt fans.  But I agree 100%.  A lot of depth at the position.  I show the LB depth chart to be something like:

OLB: Mathis, Hughes

ILB: Freeman, Harvey

ILB: Connor, Angerer

OLB: Walden, Sidbury

That group seems pretty dang deep to me too.  Sure, you can have your doubts about Walden, Sidbury, and Hughes, but it seems like Grigson has filled out the depth chart pretty well.  It's why I would be pretty surprised with a front-7 selection before the late rounds (when anything could happen).

I agree completely about the depth and the D-Line, yet every mock draft I see, I would say 75% of them having us go with a DT or DE, and most of them are set on Datone Jones. I don't know why these so called experts don't look at our team and say look at the depth there, no way they go there in the first round. Either OL, ILB, or WR, but not a DL. Makes me want to scream.

I posted this earlier, but I will post this again. I agree our D Line is stout and has depth. So why does every mock draft, or 3/4 have us taking Datone Jones or saying we need Defensive Line help in the first round. I think they look at the last year for teams, where they were weak, and plug in a player. I wonder about the due diligence when making mock drafts for each team. I don't see us needing any DLine help until maybe 4th round if BPA. Until then, OL, ILB, and WR is what we need to look at in first round and take the BPA in that group. What do you all say?

Everyone says our D-line is going to be tough, it may be, but last year it was pretty poor, and we haven't had any major signings to it. Sure we are getting Chapman back, but he hasn't done anything in the NFL yet, so lets wait and see how they play before crowning them the next great defense.