Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if we go wide receiver in first round

Stephen

I agree but I was only responding to the post "if we take a wR first round..." I don't think we take a receiver but if we did I would want Allen. I still think he goes first round and I will acknowledge you were right if he gets pushed down.

I hear ya and I don't think I would want to go WR in round 1 either. I think Allen might be the safest pick but I don't think he's a game changer. maybe Patterson and Hunter have more upside but they probably have more bust potential too. The slot giy from W Virginia makes no sense as we already have a similar type receiver. I think we pretty much agree on everything but how Allen's 40 time effects his draft status. It will be interesting as a few teams like NE , Minn , S.L. and NE really need another WR pretty badly. But this is a draft that is deep in WR's but not 1st round type guys. So does a team forget his lack of great speed and just take him in round one or figure they can get him or another guy a little later as there is a lot to choose from in rounds 2-4. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree but I was only responding to the post "if we take a wR first round..." I don't think we take a receiver but if we did I would want Allen. I still think he goes first round and I will acknowledge you were right if he gets pushed down.

If he goes in the first round now , I will bow to you. Looks now would be lucky to go mid 2nd.

Cal WR Keenan Allen was red-flagged for a drug test at the NFL Combine, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Allen was retested this month. Schefter adds that the Cal product is the top receiver on some boards and his agent denies a failed drug test and the results from the recent test are unknown. This news, along with a slowed healing process from a PCL injury, certainly will not Allen's evaluation as the draft draws closer. It is not unreasonable to think he will last all the way until the late second-round.

If he goes in the first round now , I will bow to you. Looks now would be lucky to go mid 2nd.

Cal WR Keenan Allen was red-flagged for a drug test at the NFL Combine, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Allen was retested this month. Schefter adds that the Cal product is the top receiver on some boards and his agent denies a failed drug test and the results from the recent test are unknown. This news, along with a slowed healing process from a PCL injury, certainly will not Allen's evaluation as the draft draws closer. It is not unreasonable to think he will last all the way until the late second-round.

Well this will raise serious question on him. Hopefully he is clean. Be interesting to see how this effects him dropping.

Well this will raise serious question on him. Hopefully he is clean. Be interesting to see how this effects him dropping.

Over a 4.7 40 coupled with this report , I think he'll drop like a rock 9 if this drug issue has legs. Maybe as far as the first part of the 3rd round.

I guess I am not a Tavor fan for the Colts

One of the reasons we didnt go to the superbowl more often is that, playing in the cold, our smaller WRs couldnt use all that speed and were easily out muscled......

We need to build an offense that wins in January....... That means running the ball and having WRs that can muscle the ball away....

Not just look to the sideline at the official........ HOPING that we get a call

If last year wasn't BPA I don't know what a BPA draft could ever look like.  When you go pick after pick w/o selecting a DB for a very thin secondary, I'd say you are pretty committed to living with your draft board.  When you only draft 2 defensive players for a D making a scheme change and 1 of them is unlikely to play early in the year if at all coming off injury, that looks like a firm commitment to getting long term value from your board not just filling needs.  The only pick that was debatable as BPA vs. need is Fleener @34, only because there were so many ways you could have gone with that pick, not because anyone really debates the talent level of the pick.

Then his board had some major names missing.  The Fleener pick was a reach.  We should have gone OG or OLB.  No, I think Grigs was looking for B offensive PA that he could put around Luck as a group to take the pressure of Luck alone.  Last year we had no play makers outside of Reggie and Grigs knew it.

Then his board had some major names missing.  The Fleener pick was a reach.  We should have gone OG or OLB.  No, I think Grigs was looking for B offensive PA that he could put around Luck as a group to take the pressure of Luck alone.  Last year we had no play makers outside of Reggie and Grigs knew it.

The only thing that is definitive about last year's draft is quality and productivity.  Its funny to me how conclusively you present what should have been done or how decisions were made.  It seems too convenient to me to assume that Grigs reached for need just because need was there.  Any position he drafted for last year's roster would have been a reach for need by that way of thinking.  There isn't another player drafted in the 2nd that I'd trade Fleener for today - maybe Casey Hayward and he was picked almost 30 picks later.  I guess it would be great if that pick had been used on a guard or OLB, but who where the specific players at those positions that went on to have or appear poised to have greater impact than Fleener?  Cordy Glenn and Osemele look solid, maybe they are who you have in mind, but Fleener didn't show so little as to make that more than a maybe.

A lot of people are gonna be disappointed with Tavon Austin. Big 12 is not known for defense. I promise you he won't be doing in the NFL what he was doing at WV. But what do I know? I'm just an 18 year old

You do know your Apple Juice TK.. :D

I am really sold on Quentin Patton...1st or lower if we get him, I'll be very pleased...All the draft guru's says he's a Reggie Wayne type, great route runner, great hands...I'll take a Reggie clone for the next 10 years...with a couple years to learn from the Master himself..

You do know your Apple Juice TK.. :D

I am really sold on Quentin Patton...1st or lower if we get him, I'll be very pleased...All the draft guru's says he's a Reggie Wayne type, great route runner, great hands...I'll take a Reggie clone for the next 10 years...with a couple years to learn from the Master himself..

I'm convinced that as long as we bring in a decent WR, Reggie will teach them great things. Not too many rookies get that kind of opportunity

I don't think Fleener was a "reach" at 34. That great pro day he had put him into the late first early second. Now if you want to say the Cokts had better options at 34 than Fleener , I thought so last April and still think so now. However , as you elude to , it was OK for Griggs to try to give Luck as much help as possible.

The only thing that is definitive about last year's draft is quality and productivity.  Its funny to me how conclusively you present what should have been done or how decisions were made.  It seems too convenient to me to assume that Grigs reached for need just because need was there.  Any position he drafted for last year's roster would have been a reach for need by that way of thinking.  There isn't another player drafted in the 2nd that I'd trade Fleener for today - maybe Casey Hayward and he was picked almost 30 picks later.  I guess it would be great if that pick had been used on a guard or OLB, but who where the specific players at those positions that went on to have or appear poised to have greater impact than Fleener?  Cordy Glenn and Osemele look solid, maybe they are who you have in mind, but Fleener didn't show so little as to make that more than a maybe.

Ahh...a number of players.  

OL

Amini Silatolu

Zach Brown

Peter Konz

Zebrie Sanders

And those are just lineman...I'd have to go back to check on other possible players. 

OL

Amini Silatolu

Zach Brown

Peter Konz

Zebrie Sanders

And those are just lineman...I'd have to go back to check on other possible players.

But that would be YOUR board, your player rankings... so do you have any actual evidence that Grigs didn't go BPA according to how HE (and his scouts) ranked players last year?

I didn't want the Colts to take Fleener either, but just because the players I thought were better got passed up does not tell us anything about whether Grigs followed his big board to the letter or not.

Interesting fact I just happened upon. Reggie was the 6th receiver taken in the 2001 draft. This was also the last time only one QB was taken in the first. This could likely be the case again.

Is it a sign?

I don't know but Reggie was maybe Polian's best draft day move in the first round.  He traded back twice in the first round and still landed Reggie Wayne and he did it in a year that everyone was screaming he had to take one of the corners on the board, none of which are still in the league I believe and none of which went on to have any where close to the career Reggie Wayne has had. 

OL

Amini Silatolu

Zach Brown

Peter Konz

Zebrie Sanders

You accuse Grigson, for the millionth time I might add, of reaching for Fleener, yet you propose Zebrie Sanders....

But that would be YOUR board, your player rankings... so do you have any actual evidence that Grigs didn't go BPA according to how HE (and his scouts) ranked players last year?

I didn't want the Colts to take Fleener either, but just because the players I thought were better got passed up does not tell us anything about whether Grigs followed his big board to the letter or not.

DING DING DING!

People seem to forget that just because they love someone in the draft doesn't mean that's where Grigson has them rated.  Heck even if the gurus at ESPN don't have it rated the way the Colts draft doesn't mean that's now how Grigson had his board laid out. 

At the end of the day I think people are just frustrated if we don't take a guy they wanted or don't address a position they feel is a need (see the explosion last year when we didn't draft a corner in the draft and drafted two WRs and two TEs instead) and took a guy they really liked and rather than admit that maybe the Colts had a different board than they did they would much rather just say the Colts didn't take the best player on the board. 

It goes back to people just wanting to be right.  Which is cool who doesn't enjoy being the smartest person in the room but this place would be a lot more peaceful if people realized that if they do get something wrong it's not that big of deal.  We have all been wrong at some point in time on this message board.  It's no big deal and being wrong from time-to-time, especially when it comes to something like the draft that is a crap shoot (especially after round one), doesn't mean anyone knows any less about football because of it. 

True on both counts.  Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge Grigson fan. I'm merely debating the BPA only statement with so much other talent still on the board.  I'm proposing that it was more than that...

Austin won't be around when Indy picks because he is THE MOST DYNAMIC player in this draft.  

I would take this kid in a New York minute.       Too small?    Indy has been dominated by "small" type WR's since Manning was around..  

I want a WR who can get into the END ZONE.

Andrew luck is not manning...

I don't know but Reggie was maybe Polian's best draft day move in the first round.  He traded back twice in the first round and still landed Reggie Wayne and he did it in a year that everyone was screaming he had to take one of the corners on the board, none of which are still in the league I believe and none of which went on to have any where close to the career Reggie Wayne has had. 

Not many players in the league, or ever, have had a career like Reggie Wayne had, or is still having. Reggie can honestly be considered one of the best WR of all time..

But I do agree with you I agree that that was Polian's greatest draft day move..I hope that this year, Grigs can do the same or better. I would no at all mind trading down for at least a 2nd and other one or two lower picks, and still get a Quentin Patton type.

True on both counts. Don't get me wrong...I'm a huge Grigson fan. I'm merely debating the BPA only statement with so much other talent still on the board. I'm proposing that it was more than that...

So give it a day or two, and I'll revive the "what is BPA?" thread, and we can get into more detail on what you believe it involves. I think it is a very complex evaluation that goes way beyond just "player A is better than player B".

Not the millionth time and you picked that dude from the very bottom of my list....c'mon maaaan!

Your huge list of 4 people. More credible would have been janoris jenkins, kendall reyes, cordy glenn, and derek wolfe. Either way Fleener wasn't a reach, but I have a feeling that reality is falling on deaf ears.

OL

Amini Silatolu

Zach Brown

Peter Konz

Zebrie Sanders

Zach Brown is a 4-3 OLB

The others are decent players but haven't jumped out as anything other than able to develop.  Sanders was a 5th Rd. pick.  How does he enter the conversation with Fleener?  

It is pretty hard to call Fleener a reach based on anyone drafted after him that might have had a similar draft grade....at this early stage of career development.

Zach Brown is a 4-3 OLB

The others are decent players but haven't jumped out as anything other than able to develop.  Sanders was a 5th Rd. pick.  How does he enter the conversation with Fleener?  

It is pretty hard to call Fleener a reach based on anyone drafted after him that might have had a similar draft grade....at this early stage of career development.

Whoops...the OL was supposed to just be OL/DL...my point being there were solid lineman available. Sanders I only mentioned because of his performance as a rookie this past year but yeah, he didn't really belong on that list. Blood had many of the guys from the 2nd round that I was thinking about. I do hope that Fleener proves me totally wrong. Would love to eat crow on this one.