Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if we go wide receiver in first round

Stephen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Woods and Hopkins because they remind me the most of Wayne.  I think having a possession type is what we need -- DHB, TY, and Brazzill all have the 'take it to the house' type of speed -- I think having another possession guy similar to Wayne would be ideal: (1) to learn from Reggie for a few years and (2) to provide another reliable, sure-handed possession target to compliment the 'take-it-to-the-house' speed threats that we have.

if only there was a sure handed take it to the house type wr

I think WR is going to be very interesting in this draft.. there are a few talented ones but this is not a big-time draft for WR by any means.

I think the furthest Tavon falls will be to Tampa Bay. 

I could see a potential run on WR's before us, or I could see all of the others being around for our selection.  Grigson's FA acquistions have been interesting and I think that our biggest area to improve right now is OL.  However, there are only a few studs at OG, that (IMO) are worth taking in the first round.  Then there are a slue of others who I think will be solid, but will probably be available in the 3rd round.  That being said, I think that Grigs' acquistions have allowed for us to go BPA between several positions in round 1 (OG or versatile OL, DB, DL, LB, WR).  I think LB and DE are similar to OL in this draft, a few guys that seem to be locks to excel in the NFL, who may not be around at 24, and then a group of 2-4 rounders that may have solid NFL careers but are not worthy of round 1 selection.

DB is odd, too.  I think Milliner is a bonafide stud, however I am not totally sold on Rhodes or Trufant (I like Rhodes better for our system, I suppose).  Then, who knows what kind of scouting we have done, but it seems like DB is a position (especially in our system) that we might be able to get away with an athlete from a smaller school later in the draft.

We will have to see what happens on draft day, but unless we've got a really highly targeted player at one of those positions fall into our lap, the more it makes sense for me to trade down into the early 2nd round and acquire an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Personally, I think Hopkins or Wood (Hunter intrigues me, but I'm not sold) would be very solid pick-ups in Round 1.  Otherwise, I think there will be guys like Patton and Rodgers and the kid from Marshall around later in the draft that could provide a boost (Rodgers, IMO, is the most physically talented of this year's group, but seems to be a real knucklehead off the field, so we'll see what Grigs and Pagano think about his interviews, etc.).  With a 2nd round pick and an extra 3rd or 4th, I think we can grab a solid OL, a solid DB, a solid WR, and a solid LB or DL.  Or maybe grab 2 OL, and gamble on another position in the 6th or 7th??

I am excited to see what happens.  I also spent some time mulling thru available FAs yesterday -- and it seems like there are some spot-fixes that we could go back to FA and bring in a few guys for a year contract just to provide some immediate, short-term depth and fill some holes (e.g., if Winston Justice isn't too expensive, and we don't fill our OL needs in the draft, I'd be happy to see him come in on a 1 year contract and try to compete for the RG position and also provide depth at tackle).

I think we all tend to over analyze the draft. Frankly, bog names drop and later graded prospects go early. Here's what Grigsons board looks like.

Round 1: BPA

Round 3: BPA

Round 4:BPA

Round 6:BPA

Round 7:BPA

I think we all tend to over analyze the draft. Frankly, bog names drop and later graded prospects go early. Here's what Grigsons board looks like.

People don't seem to get this.

People don't seem to get this.

Needs-based drafting backfires a lot. (See colts draft from 2007-2011 among many other teams) Yet, people tend to rely on this when completing mock drafts.

You have your risers and fallers, but one thing is constant...nobody has an idea how the draft will play out. You might have better odds successfully shooting craps than guessing the draft correctly.

Nah, no way. With Grigson being an ex lineman, one of those picks has to be an offensive lineman. No way he's happy with the way the lineup would be if we entered the season next week

Nah, no way. With Grigson being an ex lineman, one of those picks has to be an offensive lineman. No way he's happy with the way the lineup would be if we entered the season next week

I agree with you, but you could argue if he doesn't pick one, there's UDFA, Vet FA, and trade capability. I believe one pick will be interior line, but i wouldn't be surprised if that were not the case.

Grigson is a wild card. (See recent trades/canada signings/recent free agency.)

Maybe he believes in the players he has now. No one knows.

I agree with you, but you could argue if he doesn't pick one, there's UDFA, Vet FA, and trade capability. I believe one pick will be interior line, but i wouldn't be surprised if that were not the case.

Grigson is a wild card. (See recent trades/canada signings/recent free agency.)

Maybe he believes in the players he has now. No one knows.

I'm on board for whatever he does. But I just have a feeling that a lineman is coming to Indianapolis via Draft. And I agree, wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't happen. But we'll see soon enough

Last year Grigson's selections didn't exactly look like BPA...more like "stack the offense". After a year of seeing what he's got plus the FA signings this off season I think were back to BPA as others mentioned and Grigs has even mentioned. The wildcard here is what does their board look like compared to Mayock's, Brooks', etc. and as the first round closes does Grigs see a lot of top talent on his board dropping into the 2nd round to justify trading back. If only I could be a fly on the wall...

I can't disagree or agree with your talent statement. I only know of 5 WR's in this draft

Josh Boyce

Marquise Goodwin

Sky Dawson

Deandre Hopkins

Tavon Austin

You need to watch more than just big12 then.

Allen.

Nice player but would be a very bad pick at 1.24. He just finished running two 40's and not breaking 4.7. He does have some injury issues but no way this does not push him to around the middle of round 2. So I would think if he's our 1st pick , it will be after moving back a bit.

Nice player but would be a very bad pick at 1.24. He just finished running two 40's and not breaking 4.7. He does have some injury issues but no way this does not push him to around the middle of round 2. So I would think if he's our 1st pick , it will be after moving back a bit.

I beg to differ.

He ran a 4.71 on a 75% knee.

He's more 4.5 range/arguably best hands/fantastic route runner/not afraid to go over the middle.

Video link didn't.post. go to YouTube, and search Keenan Allen vs. USC. 12 minute video. Raw footage of all offensive plays.

Last year Grigson's selections didn't exactly look like BPA...more like "stack the offense". After a year of seeing what he's got plus the FA signings this off season I think were back to BPA as others mentioned and Grigs has even mentioned. The wildcard here is what does their board look like compared to Mayock's, Brooks', etc. and as the first round closes does Grigs see a lot of top talent on his board dropping into the 2nd round to justify trading back. If only I could be a fly on the wall...

You don't wanna be a fly. Irsay might hold a conversation with you lmao

If last year wasn't BPA I don't know what a BPA draft could ever look like.  When you go pick after pick w/o selecting a DB for a very thin secondary, I'd say you are pretty committed to living with your draft board.  When you only draft 2 defensive players for a D making a scheme change and 1 of them is unlikely to play early in the year if at all coming off injury, that looks like a firm commitment to getting long term value from your board not just filling needs.  The only pick that was debatable as BPA vs. need is Fleener @34, only because there were so many ways you could have gone with that pick, not because anyone really debates the talent level of the pick.

I like Justin Hunter and Allen the most myself. I really think Hunter will be the best out of this class, he has size and speed, only red flag is his knee injury from 2 years ago. It'd be nice to have a receiver >6'0 who can go up and get the ball, like an AJ Green or Julio Jones type.

That seems like a pretty solid board. I would swap 3 and 4 with eachother however.

I can't disagree or agree with your talent statement. I only know of 5 WR's in this draft

Josh Boyce

Marquise Goodwin

Sky Dawson

Deandre Hopkins

Tavon Austin

For the life of me I just happened to choose Sky Dawson and googled his name and i would suggest turning on safe filter

I know Keenan Allen & all them. Just don't care for them. Allen is being highly overrated

I couldn't disagree more.. he's being overlook for his speed, which isn't great but not that bad.. he played with a sub par QB, which means balls are not that accurate most of the times.. and was double cover every game.. and still got it done.. I like him the best of this WR class.. he has big hands , and gets open with route running.. if he ends up with a "decent" not really elite but capable QB, he'll have beast numbers..

I beg to differ.

He ran a 4.71 on a 75% knee.

He's more 4.5 range/arguably best hands/fantastic route runner/not afraid to go over the middle.

We'll see in about 10 days who's right and who's wrong on this one. I'm not saying he is not a nice player , just saying that 40 time is going to push him into the 2nd round. I had said near the middle of it and you feel he's a good pick at 24. So shall we say if he goes by pick 34 , your right and I'm wrong. That gives us both about 10 spots from where we each think he should go. 

Here's what bugs me and why I think he will be hurt by this 40 time. If you read my 1st post , I did say there is an injury issue involved here. But if he was not close to being 100% , why in God's name would he run 40's for the pro scouts. Especially if his knee is only 75% as you claim. I would think he would be running for time only if he thought he could put up a respectable number. I think what you mean by he's more like a 4.5 guy is that guys like Mike Maylock say he "plays like a 4.55 guy." If you mean he could run a timed 4.5 40 if his knee was 100 % , I think that might not be true but no question some guys run better than others in games with pads on. Jerry Rice .....  

That all said , I agree that he's a nice player. Big target that runs nice routes. I just think he can be had somewhere in the 2nd round. If not I will make a point to acknowledge that you were right and I was mistaken.

We'll see in about 10 days who's right and who's wrong on this one. I'm not saying he is not a nice player , just saying that 40 time is going to push him into the 2nd round. I had said near the middle of it and you feel he's a good pick at 24. So shall we say if he goes by pick 34 , your right and I'm wrong. That gives us both about 10 spots from where we each think he should go. 

Here's what bugs me and why I think he will be hurt by this 40 time. If you read my 1st post , I did say there is an injury issue involved here. But if he was not close to being 100% , why in God's name would he run 40's for the pro scouts. Especially if his knee is only 75% as you claim. I would think he would be running for time only if he thought he could put up a respectable number. I think what you mean by he's more like a 4.5 guy is that guys like Mike Maylock say he "plays like a 4.55 guy." If you mean he could run a timed 4.5 40 if his knee was 100 % , I think that might not be true but no question some guys run better than others in games with pads on. Jerry Rice .....  

That all said , I agree that he's a nice player. Big target that runs nice routes. I just think he can be had somewhere in the 2nd round. If not I will make a point to acknowledge that you were right and I was mistaken.

I agree but I was only responding to the post "if we take a wR first round..." I don't think we take a receiver but if we did I would want Allen. I still think he goes first round and I will acknowledge you were right if he gets pushed down.