Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

if we go wide receiver in first round

Stephen

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Austin won't be around when Indy picks because he is THE MOST DYNAMIC player in this draft.  

I would take this kid in a New York minute.       Too small?    Indy has been dominated by "small" type WR's since Manning was around..  

I want a WR who can get into the END ZONE.

As for WR's....

Austin will not be available to the Colts.   He'll be long gone....

As for the rest...

Patterson makes me nervous....   very high ceiling, but perhaps the lowest floor.   Real boom or bust type player.   I'm not fond of those.

But, all the rest really interest me...

Hunter is a poor man's AJ Green.    And Allen, Hopkins, Woods and Patton are very, very good #2's who are close to being #1's.

I think they all have low 1st round to high/mid 2nd round grades....   I'd be very happy with any of those five....

A lot of people are gonna be disappointed with Tavon Austin. Big 12 is not known for defense. I promise you he won't be doing in the NFL what he was doing at WV. But what do I know? I'm just an 18 year old

fast don't lie.. i just think health issues are the thing for him.. but in the field.. he's a Percy Harvin / Randall Cobb type of player..

I would only want Robert woods or Keenan Allen .....both are good sized Allen @ 6'3 and woods @ 6'2 and they both have really good jumping and catching ability as well running great routes. If were going more project receivers I would take hunter or Patterson. I know Patterson has tremendous run after the catch ability but I don't know how much I trust him with only one season of seeing the field.granted it was a good season but IM just not completely sold on the guy.

I would only want Robert woods or Keenan Allen .....both are good sized Allen @ 6'3 and woods @ 6'2 and they both have really good jumping and catching ability as well running great routes. If were going more project receivers I would take hunter or Patterson. I know Patterson has tremendous run after the catch ability but I don't know how much I trust him with only one season of seeing the field.granted it was a good season but IM just not completely sold on the guy.

Woods is actually 6'0"...   but that's OK....  plenty tall enough...   he's very good...

We do not need a wr in the first round, at least not one from Tn.  When was the last time one of their wr's amounted to anything in the nfl. We have been very lucky over the years with wr, and I understand Reggie isn't getting younger.  It's more important to find a wr that will grow with Luck and compliment his passing game, than just go out and grab somebody who could possibly try and replace Reggie. This draft fow wr is not talent ladden. i just don't see it this year.

We do not need a wr in the first round, at least not one from Tn. When was the last time one of their wr's amounted to anything in the nfl. We have been very lucky over the years with wr, and I understand Reggie isn't getting younger. It's more important to find a wr that will grow with Luck and compliment his passing game, than just go out and grab somebody who could possibly try and replace Reggie. This draft fow wr is not talent ladden. i just don't see it this year.

I can't disagree or agree with your talent statement. I only know of 5 WR's in this draft

Josh Boyce

Marquise Goodwin

Sky Dawson

Deandre Hopkins

Tavon Austin

We do not need a wr in the first round, at least not one from Tn.  When was the last time one of their wr's amounted to anything in the nfl. We have been very lucky over the years with wr, and I understand Reggie isn't getting younger.  It's more important to find a wr that will grow with Luck and compliment his passing game, than just go out and grab somebody who could possibly try and replace Reggie. This draft fow wr is not talent ladden. i just don't see it this year.

Your second sentence lacks logic

I understand that Patterson has one yr. of big time college exp. Hard to judge him, but physically gifted. Hunter I just don't know much about. The University of Tn. was once know as WR U, and even then a majority of there wr's were not that game changer a team hopes to get in the first round. They have produced medicore recievers over the years. Basicaly, I just don't see that big game/play maker in this years draft. Just my opinion.

But isn't one of the WR's this year from Tenn?

That's what he's saying. As he just said in the post above

Yeah but the ones that failed before them having nothing to do with the ones coming out of this draft. The only thing they have in common is that they went to the same school. 

I think WR is going to be very interesting in this draft.. there are a few talented ones but this is not a big-time draft for WR by any means.

I think the furthest Tavon falls will be to Tampa Bay. 

I could see a potential run on WR's before us, or I could see all of the others being around for our selection.  Grigson's FA acquistions have been interesting and I think that our biggest area to improve right now is OL.  However, there are only a few studs at OG, that (IMO) are worth taking in the first round.  Then there are a slue of others who I think will be solid, but will probably be available in the 3rd round.  That being said, I think that Grigs' acquistions have allowed for us to go BPA between several positions in round 1 (OG or versatile OL, DB, DL, LB, WR).  I think LB and DE are similar to OL in this draft, a few guys that seem to be locks to excel in the NFL, who may not be around at 24, and then a group of 2-4 rounders that may have solid NFL careers but are not worthy of round 1 selection.

DB is odd, too.  I think Milliner is a bonafide stud, however I am not totally sold on Rhodes or Trufant (I like Rhodes better for our system, I suppose).  Then, who knows what kind of scouting we have done, but it seems like DB is a position (especially in our system) that we might be able to get away with an athlete from a smaller school later in the draft.

We will have to see what happens on draft day, but unless we've got a really highly targeted player at one of those positions fall into our lap, the more it makes sense for me to trade down into the early 2nd round and acquire an additional 3rd or 4th round pick. 

Personally, I think Hopkins or Wood (Hunter intrigues me, but I'm not sold) would be very solid pick-ups in Round 1.  Otherwise, I think there will be guys like Patton and Rodgers and the kid from Marshall around later in the draft that could provide a boost (Rodgers, IMO, is the most physically talented of this year's group, but seems to be a real knucklehead off the field, so we'll see what Grigs and Pagano think about his interviews, etc.).  With a 2nd round pick and an extra 3rd or 4th, I think we can grab a solid OL, a solid DB, a solid WR, and a solid LB or DL.  Or maybe grab 2 OL, and gamble on another position in the 6th or 7th??

I am excited to see what happens.  I also spent some time mulling thru available FAs yesterday -- and it seems like there are some spot-fixes that we could go back to FA and bring in a few guys for a year contract just to provide some immediate, short-term depth and fill some holes (e.g., if Winston Justice isn't too expensive, and we don't fill our OL needs in the draft, I'd be happy to see him come in on a 1 year contract and try to compete for the RG position and also provide depth at tackle).

just watched his highlights along with woods. Whoever we draft needs to be able to take it to the house. We need a randy moss aj green type guy

I like Woods and Hopkins because they remind me the most of Wayne.  I think having a possession type is what we need -- DHB, TY, and Brazzill all have the 'take it to the house' type of speed -- I think having another possession guy similar to Wayne would be ideal: (1) to learn from Reggie for a few years and (2) to provide another reliable, sure-handed possession target to compliment the 'take-it-to-the-house' speed threats that we have.