Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Expect any Day 1 Starters from the Draft?

Smonroe

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Superman, April 12, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by Superman, April 12, 2013 - No reason given

And that's why I want to make sure he stays there or even hits the Practice Squad. Cause if I remember correctly, Gordy (don't know if he's still here) made a few nice plays in that JAX game too. I would like to see more of him hopefully this pre-season

Dont make me jump in here between you 2 In too much pain today but ill take both you young bucks on :)JK  Still think a G but Grigs has said he will not start a rookie G if anyone remembers.And again we must remember Grigs played Professionally on the O-line in the NFL

And that's why I want to make sure he stays there or even hits the Practice Squad. Cause if I remember correctly, Gordy (don't know if he's still here) made a few nice plays in that JAX game too. I would like to see more of him hopefully this pre-season

Dont make me jump in here between you 2 In too much pain today but ill take both you young bucks on :)JK  Still think a G but Grigs has said he will not start a rookie G if anyone remembers.And again we must remember Grigs played Professionally on the O-line in the NFL

I agree with the majority as I think the only person with a "odds on" chance would be a RG.  A CB if selected in 1st round is possible in nickel but more than likely wouldn't start.  Wouldn't we think that is a GOOD thing tho, in saying that what we have here now is solid enuff that there is not a young gun who could DEFINITELY come out of the gate beating em out?  I think it will only IMPROVE the competitive juices for these guys.  Can't wait for draft and OTAs and just football in general.  I am a Cubs fan so my summer is shot so fall cannot get here soon enuff.  :facepalm:

The only one I can see is if we draft a guard in the first round. I can't see any rookie starting other than on the O line. If we draft a DE/DT he may rotate in, but I bet he won't start.

Now, as the season goes on it's possible that rookies may win starting spots.

Thoughts?

what oline player do you see in the draft that can start right away in the NFL?

He didn't say that. He was asked which position between CB and O-Line could transition to the pro game easier, and he said CB because there is a lot more happening around the trenches. I think it's safe to say a first or third round G draftee would be expected to beat out Reitz for the RG role.

He didn't say that. He was asked which position between CB and O-Line could transition to the pro game easier, and he said CB because there is a lot more happening around the trenches. I think it's safe to say a first or third round G draftee would be expected to beat out Reitz for the RG role.

Reitz is not the starter at Rg McGlynn is and Grigs has said he will not start a rookie on o-line is what i said

Reitz is not the starter at Rg McGlynn is and Grigs has said he will not start a rookie on o-line is what i said

I know McGlynn was the starter at RG but Reitz is easily a better Guard and I expect him to start if things stay as they are.

When did Grigson say this?

Yes, that is what I was referring to as well. He never once said he wouldn't start a rookie O-Lineman.

If we got Warford, Warmack, Cooper, Jones or Fluker do you honestly believe Reitz or McGlynn starts ahead of them?

Grigs played pro O-line he knows it starts there.And I agree all you named are way better but for some reason they really like McGlynn.

Warmack, Warford, cooper .........

If by OL you mean guard

I think we have our starting tackles, but backups wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

But I agree with you about the starting guard potential in this draft. And I think there's more than just the three you mentioned.

I say we just bring in every CB that goes undrafted. They all have to be better than Vaughn. Just do whatever it takes to get Vaughn released from this team!!!!

I know I'm going to regret asking you this....

But how is it that Grigson/Pagano decided to bring Vaughn back with a tender that gave him a big raise?

What do they know that you and the other Vaughn haters don't....?

I think we have our starting tackles, but backups wouldn't be a bad thing to have.

But I agree with you about the starting guard potential in this draft. And I think there's more than just the three you mentioned.

It really is a great Guard class, which suits us.

I really like Kyle Long and I think Fluker is made for Guard at the next level.

That is 6 Guards I would love to have. Not bad.

RB, OLB, WR, MLB.

Remember the topic - Day 1 Starter.  You really think if we draft a WR in the first round he'll beat out DHB?  Even if we took Lacy, I doubt he'd start opening day.  

There's a possibility that a first round ILB could start, although I think that's highly doubtful.  Just my opinion.

Remember the topic - Day 1 Starter. You really think if we draft a WR in the first round he'll beat out DHB? Even if we took Lacy, I doubt he'd start opening day.

There's a possibility that a first round ILB could start, although I think that's highly doubtful. Just my opinion.

Why not? They're going to start the player that gives us the best chance to win. If we draft Patterson or Hopkins then I have no doubts DHB falls to the 4th receiver spot.

Why not? They're going to start the player that gives us the best chance to win. If we draft Patterson or Hopkins then I have no doubts DHB falls to the 4th receiver spot.

4th WR? Why would we put DHB in the slot? Your small WR should be in the slot (TY Hilton). He'd be more dangerous there than DHB would

If this were the previous regime, I'd strongly disagree.  Addai, Brown, Gonzo... none started.  I think this regime will put the best player on the field, even if they're paying someone else more money.

That being said, I can't see a rookie WR being ready to start day 1.  But I'd love to be wrong, that means we have a game changer.

But how is it that Grigson/Pagano decided to bring Vaughn back with a tender that gave him a big raise?

Well, we really don't have any other CB's at the moment so that plays a part as well

If this were the previous regime, I'd strongly disagree. Addai, Brown, Gonzo... none started. I think this regime will put the best player on the field, even if they're paying someone else more money.

That being said, I can't see a rookie WR being ready to start day 1. But I'd love to be wrong, that means we have a game changer.

Satele was paid more than Shipley I do believe. But we all know who was better haha

4th WR? Why would we put DHB in the slot? Your small WR should be in the slot (TY Hilton). He'd be more dangerous there than DHB would

Your receiver that can rack up YAC and catches passes over the middle should play slot. Those are DHB's strong suits.

You are lumping together the concepts of depth chart and field position. Welker played in the slot, but was on the field with only one outside receiver the majority of the time.

Your receiver that can rack up YAC and catches passes over the middle should play slot. Those are DHB's strong suits.

That's TY's too. Most of his catches were 5-15. The rest of the yards were his feet. I guess we got 2 YAC WR's and then Reggie for the sure hands

Satele was paid more than Shipley I do believe. But we all know who was better haha

I wish people would stop making this assumption. Irsay paid Peyton a gazillion dollars last year to rehab, I don't think Satele's contract is complicating things.

1 year- $1,323,000 according to Spotrac

Outside of Teddy Williams (7 games) and Gordy  (15 games) we only have Marshay Green who played in 1 games all of last year, I think its fair to say Vaughn is tendered do to his starting experience in the scheme, While experience is hard to replace just like talent is, I think his type of talent could be replaceable in the late rounds of the draft to be honest 

I agree that there are more starters.....but, I REALY want and believe we need a pile pushing mauler. Not just a starter. We have a starter in McGlynn.

I believe this line needs an elite addition on the OL

One that has a decent chance to be an all pro

In my humble opinion...... There are only 3 elite guards in this draft....... I want one

If RG, Very Good Chance (If Cooper or Warmack, then YES)

If OLB, Good Chance

If DE, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If FS, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If CB, No... He'll get worked into the rotation

If WR, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If DT, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If QB...Never!!!!

If RG, Very Good Chance (If Cooper or Warmack, then YES)

If OLB, Good Chance

If DE, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If FS, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If CB, No... He'll get worked into the rotation

If WR, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If DT, No...He'll get worked into the rotation

If QB...Never!!!!

That's what I'm thinking. I'll add RB. I doubt they start him until they're 100% sure he has his blocking down.