Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best OL possibilities

BProland85

This the lineup I would like to see to give us the best chance for greatness along the OL for years to come...

LT Anthony Costanzo (Hope he can use his competiveness and drive to make him one of the better LTs in the game)

LG Ben Ijalana (I really believe his best fit is at OG right now and he reminds me of a Jahri Evans type player)

OC Mike Pollak (Saturday is getting old and this is Pollak's natural position. He has improved as of late and would like to see him here)

RG Jaques McClendon (He has the talent to be a dominating OG so hopefully Polian is right in his assesment in starting this year at OG)

RT Charlie Johnson (He could be eventually replaced by Ijalana at RT but stays here allowing us to see how dominating of a OG Ijalana can be and maybe he stays there at OG)

Your thoughts?

I don't think anyone will beat out Saturday for his position. I do like seeing McClendon as a starter, I'm hoping that happens. I want to see both Castonzo and Ijalana get lots of experience in their rookie seasons, but I'm a little iffy on putting 2 rookies on the left side. Premier pass rushers usually line up and rush from the left side (looking from an offensive perspective). I wouldn't mind seeing Ijalana at RT, but I'm not sure how he would play there, it depends on how he does in preseason and camp. Pollak played well as a guard, so I would leave him at LG.

I would be happy with:

LT - Castonzo

LG - Pollak

C - Saturday

RG - McClendon

RT - Ijalana, Charlie Johnson or Diem (as much as I want to get rid of Diem, I am going to give him another chance). Whoever performs the best out of those 3 gets the starting job

I have heard Ijalana will be better at guard than at tackle, but my thinking is that this will be Saturday's last year. Then either Jamey Richard steps in as the new center (he did well when he filled in for Saturday a few years ago) and Pollak stays at guard, Ijalana will be a permanent RT. Or, Pollak goes to center and Ijalana takes his place at LG. Then we either draft someone or place Charlie Johnson at RT. CJ's natural position is the guard position, but I'm not sure if he will be needed at guard or not.

This the lineup I would like to see to give us the best chance for greatness along the OL for years to come...

LT Anthony Costanzo (Hope he can use his competiveness and drive to make him one of the better LTs in the game)

LG Ben Ijalana (I really believe his best fit is at OG right now and he reminds me of a Jahri Evans type player)

OC Mike Pollak (Saturday is getting old and this is Pollak's natural position. He has improved as of late and would like to see him here)

RG Jaques McClendon (He has the talent to be a dominating OG so hopefully Polian is right in his assesment in starting this year at OG)

RT Charlie Johnson (He could be eventually replaced by Ijalana at RT but stays here allowing us to see how dominating of a OG Ijalana can be and maybe he stays there at OG)

Your thoughts?

were is the evidence that mcclendon has the talent to start...let alone be dominant?? several people, including his college coach, seemed to be surprised he was even drafted. i hope you're right, but just because he can bench press the state of tennessee doesn't make him a great player.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are:

1.) It is not a good idea to have two rookies starting on the blindside.

2.) It is not a good idea to have a line in which every position is filled by a different player than the year before.

3.) Saturday is getting to the end of his career but, based on his play last year, he still has another 2 or 3 years left.

4.) Until he gets some camp time I'm not ready to put a rookie in at LT.

I see a line up like CJ (assuming he's signed but I can see them rotating AC in early in the season), McClendon (perhaps Ben), Saturday, Pollack, Diem (maybe they start AC here to get him experience and a slightly less critical position and then move him to LT his 2nd year).

Polian last year was very critical of the interior of the line, so I could see two new starting guards but I think Pollack will still win out one guard spot. McClendon does have talent and it's not because of his bench, but it's from comments Polian has made plus watching him in college, he is quick off the snap, gets in good position and blocks well on the move at the 2nd level.

But people want to talk about how bad the line was but yet they gave up the fewest sacks per pass attempt, fewest pressure per pass attempt, one of the least penalized lines in the NFL and the starting RB (Addai) and primary back-up (Hart) both averaged 4.5 yards per carry. The line was not as bad as many want to portray.

I wouldn't get rid of Saturday until he retires. Peyton needs him, and a switch like this could badly hurt him.

LT: Castonzo Joe Reitz

LG: C. Johnson Kyle Devan

C: Saturday Jacques McClendon

RG: Ijalana Mike Pollak

RT: Diem Jeff Linkenbach

So two years in a row Pollack lost his job to DeVan, but this year he magically retains it?

Sorry, but I dont buy it.

I really would like to see him succeed at some point, but I think he is past that already.

He is what he is, and if the last few years are a good indicator (what else can they be), he is a backup.

So two years in a row Pollack lost his job to DeVan, but this year he magically retains it?

Sorry, but I dont buy it.

I really would like to see him succeed at some point, but I think he is past that already.

He is what he is, and if the last few years are a good indicator (what else can they be), he is a backup.

Some say center is his best position, we'll have to wait and see how he does at center

Some say center is his best position, we'll have to wait and see how he does at center

He was drafted as a Center out of college and he showed some improvement when he played at guard last year, from what I saw at least? I do believe he is a FA after this season so lets see if that is motivation enough to show why he was a 2nd rounder?

I would be happy with:

LT - Castonzo

LG - Pollak

C - Saturday

RG - McClendon

RT - Ijalana, Charlie Johnson or Diem (as much as I want to get rid of Diem, I am going to give him another chance). Whoever performs the best out of those 3 gets the starting job

Oh man, I forgot about Link and DeVan. Link played well at tackle last year, better than Diem. DeVan also did well at guard. If you ask me, one of the issues is that we have a lot of players, but none of them are standout talents.

Oh man, I forgot about Link and DeVan. Link played well at tackle last year, better than Diem. DeVan also did well at guard. If you ask me, one of the issues is that we have a lot of players, but none of them are standout talents.

Thats why I think, regardless of rookies and no training camp, Diem will be gone.

No real reason to hold onto him because he is NOT the only decent option at the position. Linkenbach filled in well for him, with no drop-off in performance. Given another year of experience, he should be better.

Anyway, no reason for Diem to hang around other than the Colts FO just dont want to be rid of him...

Thats why I think, regardless of rookies and no training camp, Diem will be gone.

No real reason to hold onto him because he is NOT the only decent option at the position. Linkenbach filled in well for him, with no drop-off in performance. Given another year of experience, he should be better.

Anyway, no reason for Diem to hang around other than the Colts FO just dont want to be rid of him...

Yeah, he needs to go. "no drop-off in performance", if anything, I saw an improvement in the overall play of the line when Link was in there.

I'm going to assume we cut Ryan Diem, and we resign Charlie Johnson. If either of those two things doesn't happen, then that changes my depth chart.

LT: Charlie Johnson

LG: Kyle DeVan/Jaimie Thomas

C: Jeff Saturday/Mike Pollak

RG: Jacques McClendon/Ben Ijalana

RT: Anthony Castonzo/Jeff Linkenbach

I'm going to assume we cut Ryan Diem, and we resign Charlie Johnson. If either of those two things doesn't happen, then that changes my depth chart.

LT: Charlie Johnson

LG: Kyle DeVan/Jaimie Thomas

C: Jeff Saturday/Mike Pollak

RG: Jacques McClendon/Ben Ijalana

RT: Anthony Castonzo/Jeff Linkenbach

Costanzo will play LT not RT

Your thoughts?

I think Saturday will stay at that spot until further notice....I like the other players at the positions...Only concern are two rookies on the blind side. I wonder if they will split that up? I'm excited to see the final OL for the regular season.