Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign OLB Josh McNary

HtownColt

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait a minute everyone says he is small at 6' 250???

Robert Mathis - 6'2 - 245lbs

Jerry Hughes - 6'2 254 lbs

Erik Walden - 6'2 - 250 lbs

Jake Killeen - 6'4 - 240 lbs

Justin Hickman - 6'2 - 258 lbs

i would say he is at a pretty avg size for OUR OLB's who play in a 3-4 and have going on two years now. 

Exactly.

If he were listed 1 inch taller, he'd be "ideal" size.

Instead, since he's 6'0 instead of 6'1, it means he's "too small".

Exactly.

Spot on, it is his weight that I like. 250 lbs is a good size for either OLB or MLB, Pagano runs a hybrid so he will move McNary around a lot, if he makes the team. I heard Chappell on Grady and Big Joe, talking about the draft and the Colt's need for a pass rusher other than Mathis. Chappell kept saying where is it going to come from, I think that Pagano will use multiple looks and exotic blitz packages to generate a good pass rush.

McNary - a three-year starter who already holds West Point records for most sacks in a single game (4), single season (12 1/2)- is the academy's first player to merit consideration for first team All-American since running back Mike Mayweather, who finished 10th in the Heisman Trophy balloting in 1990.

McNary has flourished under second-year coach Rich Ellerson, who once coached Tedy Bruschi at the same position when he was an assistant at Arizona.

Spot on, it is his weight that I like. 250 lbs is a good size for either OLB or MLB, Pagano runs a hybrid so he will move McNary around a lot, if he makes the team. I heard Chappell on Grady and Big Joe, talking about the draft and the Colt's need for a pass rusher other than Mathis. Chappell kept saying where is it going to come from, I think that Pagano will use multiple looks and exotic blitz packages to generate a good pass rush.

When you have a good secondary you can do that. Rex really doesn't have great pass rushers in New York but he had a secondary that could give him a little more time with his front 7 to disguise blitzes better because he knew the back-end would more than likely hold up.

If Toler is as good as advertised, and with what we already know we have in Vontae, Pagano could easily do the same thing in letting his secondary help with his blitz packages. I think we are quite a bit like the Jets in the fact that we don't have "great" pass rushers but given a way and time they will be able to produce.

Exactly.

well, to be fair, the "too small" comment was made after a post saying he was 6'0 and 230 lbs and before the correction saying he is 250.  I didn't see any "too small" comments after his size was corrected. ;)

I almost wish this young veteran was 225.....let him roam like Polamalu at SS and hit people Like an Abrams tank.  I know we like stars to hit our teams, but this kid to me is a star in his own right!  I would much rather see guys given a shot to make a team with awards....than those with multiple arrests.

http://www.shrinegame.com/About/PatTillmanAward/JoshMcNary2011PatTillmanAward.aspx

Excuse me....coming through!!!!!  :)

M1A1-Bagdad-RunningOver.jpg

You dont know tho this guy could be better the Hughes

There is no way he changes any approach to the draft. He is simply a guy who is picked up to give a chance at a roster spot, he could impress in camp and be better than Hughes( I hope he does impress) but as of right now he changes nothing about the draft

He has to make the team first in the preseason. If he does I think he could be a rotational guy like Fokou was. Really don't know where Pagano wants to play him either MLB or OLB. Have to figure that out in minicamp

I would think he would make this team.  Added depth never hurts and he might be a great special teams starter. Too many fans overlook the much needed improvement in the special teams play.  Last season's improvement was great and I am looking for this season for even more improvement.  

I would think he would make this team. Added depth never hurts and he might be a great special teams starter. Too many fans overlook the much needed improvement in the special teams play. Last season's improvement was great and I am looking for this season for even more improvement.

Only 53 spots to go around...hope he can impress and make the team, but Mario Addison impressed me last year and didn't make the team now he on the Panthers active roster. I'm pulling for the guy though

There is no way he changes any approach to the draft. He is simply a guy who is picked up to give a chance at a roster spot, he could impress in camp and be better than Hughes( I hope he does impress) but as of right now he changes nothing about the draft

I just meant that in Grigson's mind he may be a starter you never know with our gm haha but Ik wat you mean

I would think he would make this team.  Added depth never hurts and he might be a great special teams starter. Too many fans overlook the much needed improvement in the special teams play.  Last season's improvement was great and I am looking for this season for even more improvement.  

Meh we were 21st in kick return yards allowed if I am reading NFL.com right

Meh we were 21st in kick return yards allowed if I am reading NFL.com right

We were MUCH better overall on special teams.  There still needs improvement.  McAfee was fantastic in punting...should have been Pro Bowl.  (Directional was best yet)  Mistakes on the kicking team with blocked kicks hurt, and one area McAfee went backwards was kicks into and through the endzone.

Lefeged, Sergio Brown and Hughes were solid, as was Mario Harvey.  Mario Addison was good too, and then was gone....never really figured that one out other than 'roster moves.'

We were MUCH better overall on special teams. There still needs improvement. McAfee was fantastic in punting...should have been Pro Bowl. (Directional was best yet) Mistakes on the kicking team with blocked kicks hurt, and one area McAfee went backwards was kicks into and through the endzone.

Lefeged, Sergio Brown and Hughes were solid, as was Mario Harvey. Mario Addison was good too, and then was gone....never really figured that one out other than 'roster moves.'

Redskins took Addison off our practice squad and added him to their active roster

ESPN list McNary at 6'0 251lbs

"I did have other opportunities, but the Colts were just unique in their enthusiasm to get me on board. I got a call from the general manger (Ryan Grigson), who basically said sign with the organization, and that was huge. I got a call from Coach (Chuck) Pagano. It was just an overwhelming amount of attention that they showed toward me, it definitely wasn't matched by any other teams and these guys saw things in me that I thought I only knew I had. It sounds like they're going to put me in a place where they can optimize my potential, kind of like they did in college. So I thought it was a pretty good choice."

At Army, McNary set career records for sacks (28) and tackles for loss (49), the school's single-season mark for sacks (12.5) and in a game (4.0). He finished his career at West Point with 195 career tackles, nine passes defensed, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries including a 55-yard return for a TD in the 2010 win at SMU. He also was named the 2011 East-West Shrine Games' Pat Tillman Award winner -- an award that goes to a player who best represents character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service.

ESPN article on the signing:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9160909&src=desktop

ESPN list McNary at 6'0 251lbs

"I did have other opportunities, but the Colts were just unique in their enthusiasm to get me on board. I got a call from the general manger (Ryan Grigson), who basically said sign with the organization, and that was huge. I got a call from Coach (Chuck) Pagano. It was just an overwhelming amount of attention that they showed toward me, it definitely wasn't matched by any other teams and these guys saw things in me that I thought I only knew I had. It sounds like they're going to put me in a place where they can optimize my potential, kind of like they did in college. So I thought it was a pretty good choice."

At Army, McNary set career records for sacks (28) and tackles for loss (49), the school's single-season mark for sacks (12.5) and in a game (4.0). He finished his career at West Point with 195 career tackles, nine passes defensed, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries including a 55-yard return for a TD in the 2010 win at SMU. He also was named the 2011 East-West Shrine Games' Pat Tillman Award winner -- an award that goes to a player who best represents character, intelligence, sportsmanship and service.

ESPN article on the signing:

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9160909&src=desktop

Love a good story!!  Love it when the troops are fired up because the leaders are fired up!  My Abrams tank above is ready for action!!!  :)  This kid...will come in and work his tail off.....Thanks for the article/post...made my day!!

Like Pagano said at his 1st Colts press conference in INDY "Let's hunt...Simple me complex you"....Simplify the gap control alignments & assignments for our guys & make the opposing team's QB's head spin like a top on a shivel. Controlled chaos like he preached & taught in Baltimore. 

One thing I continue to be impressed with Grigson is his effort to boost competition in camp.  This guy looks like a very good athlete, very strong, good speed for a MLB, and seems disciplined.  This signing is a win/win -- at the worst, it improves competition in camp, as this guy will come in and bust his tail, at the best, he makes the team and contributes on special teams or maybe even gets some reps on D

I agree he is a very long shot to make the team but I will say one thing...Grigson is leaving no stone unturned. One thing I like....he goes for guys that excel at their craft...and not retreads like Mclain who have just dissappointed. Much rather take a shot at a hungry young guy that hasn't had an a chance than one that couldn't make the most of the one given him.