Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Improve Stadium

I believe we do. But any time I've been in the nosebleeds not only could I not use the wifi I couldn't use my 4G either.

Same here. I was there twice last year and got nothing from the wifi. My Verizon 4g wasn't working very well either.

I guess they wouldn't want people face timing the game to their friends.

When it comes to sports the government has no problem throwing money at them. Now other things like education or healthcare now that is just crazy talk.

Govt not paying for healthcare? What world are you living in? At least the LOS creates revenue to the city, not that I'm a big fan if govt dollars going into sports stadiums. I would rather see it spent on police and education.

Why? Other than the noise level

Guess I miss the Dome because of the memories...

Had season tickets the year Colts won the superbowl, and attended many other games/events there,

saw Guns & Roses/Metallica concert at the Dome my freshman year of high school which was awesome, think I also saw a Primus/Rush concert at the Dome as well...

also had an easier time navigating the whole stadium, it was easy to meet up with friends sitting in other sections at games during half time, but I was also more familiar with the Dome, so maybe that plays a part as well...

only been to LOS twice, & the first time was the game Polian/Caldwell threw for the perfect season...

maybe thats why I have a bad taste for LOS...

I know the LOS has been voted best NFL stadium a few times now...

guess its basically the memories of the Dome make it more nostalgic...

Same here. I was there twice last year and got nothing from the wifi. My Verizon 4g wasn't working very well either.

I guess they wouldn't want people face timing the game to their friends.

I can't say for sure, but I've always assumed the lousy reception I get (on AT&T phone) was because the stadium is sponsored in part by Sprint. I bet people with Sprint phones get blistering fast wifi...

I also recall that I was invited to pay for better access...

i saw pink floyd at the dome in 1988. some high guy jumped from the upper level to his death during learning to fly

wasn't it last off season the nfl mandated all venues add wifi? no surprise that it sucks. with the power of modern smart phones it'd be too easy to stream the event

When it comes to sports the government has no problem throwing money at them.  Now other things like education or healthcare now that is just crazy talk.

As long as people live in plastic bubbles and home school their kids, then give all the money to sports. Easy solution.

Fixed.

Yes, I always appreciate enjoying what I paid for.

I think it is unfair to say that the tax payer is paying for it all.  It is only 2 million, and im sure the upgrades will cost more than the 2 million.  Plus new electronic boards that the team is paying for, plus they are paying $70,000 back to the state.  It is the board that is raising taxes on admissions, but you wont be going to nearly enough games to pay back the 2 million.  It would take a few years for the city to earn back the 1.93 million. 

The team itself pays taxes. 

The Indiana corporate tax rate is 8%, the county tax rate is compounded on top of this at 5.75%.  So its very conceivable that the Colts team is paying 15 - 20% in taxes to the state and city.    With the teams revenue in 2012 being $268 Million, the amount of taxes that they conceivable pay (at minimum of 13.75%), is $36,850,000.  Even with tax loopholes and write offs, i can almost guarantee with 99% certainty that they will pay more taxes next year alone than they received for help on renovation. 

The team probably requires the city to pay for some of the upgrades just so that they have some skin in the game, seeing as the city owns it.  Since the Colts are doing so much for the state and the City, it only makes sense that the city do something back.  Asking the city to pay $2 milion is a favor from Irsay and being nice and not asking for more, considering all the above.

Then on top of that, due to th e$70,000 they are paying due to the conflicting reports about the concessions revenue, it seems that the Colts share some of their profit with the city anyways.  Then the two boards that they are getting, similiar to the ones they got in 2011 that cost $700,000, will be over $1.5 million. 

Furthermore, the $2 million is coming out of money ALREADY BUDGETED for cost overruns on the stadium. For $2 million the city can return their investment within a year by increasing seating capacity and adding more boxes for other events. The city owns the stadium, not the Colts, so they have to approve any work to it.

Guess I miss the Dome because of the memories...

Had season tickets the year Colts won the superbowl, and attended many other games/events there,

saw Guns & Roses/Metallica concert at the Dome my freshman year of high school which was awesome, think I also saw a Primus/Rush concert at the Dome as well...

also had an easier time navigating the whole stadium, it was easy to meet up with friends sitting in other sections at games during half time, but I was also more familiar with the Dome, so maybe that plays a part as well...

only been to LOS twice, & the first time was the game Polian/Caldwell threw for the perfect season...

maybe thats why I have a bad taste for LOS...

I know the LOS has been voted best NFL stadium a few times now...

guess its basically the memories of the Dome make it more nostalgic...

I saw 5 games there. That's where my hatred of Phillip Rivers grew because he was yelling at people in the stands at (I think) the last game I went to there. lol

It just felt like you were engaged more because it was so loud. Plus that big gust of air when you walk in was pretty awesome.

All that said, LOS is a magnificient stadium and when the roof is open it's pretty awesome!! (except for all the shadows it casts) and you forget about the RCA Dome when there's huge helicopters flying over. :)

I can't say for sure, but I've always assumed the lousy reception I get (on AT&T phone) was because the stadium is sponsored in part by Sprint. I bet people with Sprint phones get blistering fast wifi...

I also recall that I was invited to pay for better access...

Odd, i get great 4G reception with AT&T there.

I hope Colts fans know that Lucas Oil has been voted the best NFL stadium two years in a row!! 

Here's the story.....    (sure hope you appreciate what you have!)

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/LUCAS-OIL-STADIUM-AGAIN-RANKED-BEST-NFL-VENUE-/7164384d-a948-4fcf-b1d7-e36c9a4b5f55

Heres the link to the FanFare breakdown of our stadium and all the grades.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/lucas-oil-stadium-s91

Taxpayers footing the bill in conservative indiana? Must be a mistake

If you look at the facts and the numbers.  it is a misunderstanding.  Read one of my previous posts where i explain all about the taxes and everything else.

This is what I always point to when people complain about local government footing the bill for stadiums, upgrades, maintenance, etc.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/colts-seek-2-million-in-lucas-oil-stadium-upgrades

"Having the facility at a top notch level helps us get other events, not just Colts games" said CIB President Ann Lathrop.  "There are conventions that use the facility.  We just had a wonderful NCAA basketball game last weekend that was phenomenally attended.  These types of improvements help for that.  They also generate revenue for the CIB."

If a city builds a football stadium and doesn't do anything to secure additional events, that's poor management and decision making on their part. The team uses the facilities maybe 50 days out of the year, and that's being generous. Get other events in there, and you'll easily make a profit on your investment. All told, $2m to add luxury boxes is not that much.

This is what I always point to when people complain about local government footing the bill for stadiums, upgrades, maintenance, etc.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/sports/colts_and_nfl/colts-seek-2-million-in-lucas-oil-stadium-upgrades

"Having the facility at a top notch level helps us get other events, not just Colts games" said CIB President Ann Lathrop. "There are conventions that use the facility. We just had a wonderful NCAA basketball game last weekend that was phenomenally attended. These types of improvements help for that. They also generate revenue for the CIB."

If a city builds a football stadium and doesn't do anything to secure additional events, that's poor management and decision making on their part. The team uses the facilities maybe 50 days out of the year, and that's being generous. Get other events in there, and you'll easily make a profit on your investment. All told, $2m to add luxury boxes is not that much.

Thank you superman for being a sensible person. It's like people flip out when this kind if things happen but don't know anything about the behind the scenes. That's why I tried to explain in my previous post where I break everything down. Heck they pay so much in taxes, is the the city REALLY paying anything?

people cried when we built the hoosier dome with no leasee too. luckily there was no internet back then 

Looking back, I'm surprised the horseshoe came with. I often wonder how close we were to becoming the Indianapolis Racers....or something similarly goofy as that.