Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what is gonna be peyton's legacy

CR91

Yep we seem to be in agreement here. And I meant the Raiders game not the AFCCG. My mistake.

fair enough, I dont remember a dropped pick but there might of been one i forgot . . . and yes, had the woodsen/Brady incident been a fumble it would have been game over as it was after 2 min warning and no TOs for the pats . . .

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is a train wreck. AM, there are so many folks here who just bait you into this kind of thing, and I'm not sure why you bite, man! LOL...

I will try to bring it back to the original topic.

To me, Manning is a sure-fire, first-ballot Hall of Fame player who had a major hand in changing the game. When you look at the NFL now, with QBs regularly throwing for 4,000 yards a season and 30+ TDs on a regular basis, I can't help but think that a lot of that is the result of what a productive passer he's always been. Whether or not the prominence of the passing game is a good thing is subject to debate. Personally I hate that defenders aren't allowed to defend anymore, but I digress...

He's the league's only 4-time MVP.

He holds a ton of records and, if Favre had retired when he probably should have, Manning would probably have passed him in most if not all major categories.

I find it impossible (and also, just a silly waste of time) to try to compare guys, make rankings or lists, or hold a guy up from one era against another. Fact is, no one knows how Peyton Manning would have fared as a QB in the 1960s, or whether Johnny Unitas would have been Johnny U if he played in the modern era.

But if I had to make a list of the top five QBs I've seen play regularly in my lifetime (and I'll be 41 years old this summer), those five guys, in no specific order, would be:

Montana

Marino

Elway

Brady

Manning

I can't even attempt to rank guys like Unitas, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, etc. Because I'd be talking out of my you-know-what.

Nice post.

In the end it's all just a qualitative judgement.  Any one of those QBs you mentioned (and several you didn't) has sufficient credentials to be effectively argued as the greatest ever.  

Yes it has gotten a little side tracked . . .

I forgot to mention in my original post - I wanted to add another thing to Manning's legacy and that being he was an overall #1 draft pick that was successful under this spotlight . . . something that does not happen very often to the #1 overall pick . . .

Thank you Yehoodi. A very valid point that often gets glossed over: Peyton Manning lived up to his #1 draft billing & delivered a Championship. Too many people get preoccupied with post season stats & it is easy to forget that Peyton has indeed made good on his #1 draft status. He's no Ryan Leaf after all. Extremely rare among QBs chosen that high in the NFL.

I always respect your fairness, objectivity, wit, & intelligence my friend. It's the reason I view you as one of my favorite bloggers on this site.  :hat:  I don't expect a like on this reply. I just feel it is necessary to tell my friends what they do well & why I respect them so much. Thank you.

This thread is a train wreck. AM, there are so many folks here who just bait you into this kind of thing, and I'm not sure why you bite, man! LOL...

To me, Manning is a sure-fire, first-ballot Hall of Fame player who had a major hand in changing the game. When you look at the NFL now, with QBs regularly throwing for 4,000 yards a season and 30+ TDs on a regular basis, I can't help but think that a lot of that is the result of what a productive passer he's always been. Whether or not the prominence of the passing game is a good thing is subject to debate. Personally I hate that defenders aren't allowed to defend anymore, but I digress...

He holds a ton of records and, if Favre had retired when he probably should have, Manning would probably have passed him in most if not all major categories.

I find it impossible (and also, just a silly waste of time) to try to compare guys, make rankings or lists, or hold a guy up from one era against another. Fact is, no one knows how Peyton Manning would have fared as a QB in the 1960s, or whether Johnny Unitas would have been Johnny U if he played in the modern era.

But if I had to make a list of the top five QBs I've seen play regularly in my lifetime (and I'll be 41 years old this summer), those five guys, in no specific order, would be:

Montana

Marino

Elway

Brady

Manning

I can't even attempt to rank guys like Unitas, Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, etc. Because I'd be talking out of my you-know-what.

Re This thread is a train wreck.

This is what i first saw when looked at this topic, been busy , thanks I dont need to read more to guess whats its about, . its been done before

Re  five QBs I've seen play

SEEING UNITAS IT STARTS AND STOPS THERE FOR ME, BUT many old ones were great , but I only put Unbitas on the pedastal, the rest u name beat the rest of the older ones

Re He's the league's only 4-time MVP.

Hows this stat , he's the only player to come in second in MVP voting to the 3 RBs that won during his career

LT, Shaun Alexander, & AP, , , 2 nd dont count , just thought was interesting thats all , probably as informational as rest of this thread but as i haven't read it I really shouldn't say that, 

I am sure there are incite full comments as well as the bizarre

Have a good day

In some respects, it is nice to see a changing of the QB guard. Yes, Peyton Manning is a HOF QB, but his time in the sun can't last forever Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, RG3, Russell Wilson, & Andrew Luck deserve a chance to shine & display their potential greatness as well. This league is not just defined by 5 elite QBs. It's time for other QBs to receive some newfound attention now IMO.

I'm not trying to trivialize #18's NFL contributions to this great game, but other QBs deserve a shot at attaining HOF Greatness now. Just my 2 cents...

In some respects, it is nice to see a changing of the QB guard. Yes, Peyton Manning is a HOF QB, but his time in the sun can't last forever Matt Ryan, Matt Schaub, RG3, Russell Wilson, & Andrew Luck deserve a chance to shine & display their potential greatness as well. This league is not just defined by 5 elite QBs. It's time for other QBs to receive some newfound attention now IMO.

I'm not trying to trivialize #18's NFL contributions to this great game, but other QBs deserve a shot at attaining HOF Greatness now. Just my 2 cents...

Of course u r , u think hes Darth Vader ( LOL )

Bye

All is true except the Matt Schaub part...smh, never been close to elite, and a fringe Pro Bowl player in his best year if other guys get hurt...Now Wilson is Tarkington-like and a mobile Drew Brees, RG111's talent is undeniable and he is capable of being MVP if his health allows, and Luck will be this decades Elway/Manning hybrid...Ryan is Pro-Bowl caliber, but I'm not sure he will ever be elite..He has 2 top 10 receivers, greatest TE ever, and a great line and solid D but always falls short.

All is true except the Matt Schaub part...smh, never been close to elite, and a fringe Pro Bowl player in his best year if other guys get hurt...Now Wilson is Tarkington-like and a mobile Drew Brees, RG111's talent is undeniable and he is capable of being MVP if his health allows, and Luck will be this decades Elway/Manning hybrid...Ryan is Pro-Bowl caliber, but I'm not sure he will ever be elite..He has 2 top 10 receivers, greatest TE ever, and a great line and solid D but always falls short.

Notice I said "potential greatness"in my original reply...I wasn't knighting any quarterback or performing a royal coronation ceremony. These field generals still have to earn a  :lombardi: trophy. Regarding Matt Schaub, that team is loaded with talent. Matt doesn't have to be great just a decent game manager ala Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Defense not offense wins championships..

350px-Charles-vii-courronement-_Panth%C3

Notice I said "potential greatness"in my original reply...I wasn't knighting any quarterback or performing a royal coronation ceremony. These field generals still have to earn a  :lombardi: trophy. Regarding Matt Schaub, that team is loaded with talent. Matt doesn't have to be great just a decent game manager ala Trent Dilfer or Brad Johnson. Defense not offense wins championships..

350px-Charles-vii-courronement-_Panth%C3

Schaub is a little old to be talking about potential....

Of course u r , u think hes Darth Vader ( LOL )

Bye

haha  No Barry my friend. I always refer to Peyton Manning as "Yoda" because of his line of scrimmage mastery. But, I must admit Darth Vader's "Imperial March" song does kick some serious caboose though. 

I do have a "dark side" though & I love to root for the villain in action adventure films though.  lmao

haha  No Barry my friend. I always refer to Peyton Manning as "Yoda" because of his line of scrimmage mastery. But, I must admit Darth Vader's "Imperial March" song does kick some serious caboose though. 

I do have a "dark side" though & I love to root for the villain in action adventure films though.  lmao

I know that , thats why i added ( LOL ) Darth is the anti of Yooda i guess as far as the good & the darkside, wowowooowooooooooo

Cant be here any longer, have a good day, will be busy much odf days through next tuesday & I include weekends

When can, just like today I grabbed a peak

Have a good one

Schaub is a little old to be talking about potential....

John Elway wasn't exactly a spring chicken when he won his last 2 SBs in Denver & like Dustin so eloquently stated the reason for those Championships is RB Terrell Davis [& I would add TE Shannon Sharpe too.]

I know that , thats why i added ( LOL ) Darth is the anti of Yoda i guess as far as the good & the darkside, wowowooowooooooooo

Cant be here any longer, have a good day, will be busy much odf days through next tuesday & I include weekends

When can, just like today I grabbed a peak

Have a good one

Very funny Barry! And yes, I did grasp the hidden meaning as well. Clever buddy, clever. I ran out of likes. Crap! Here are 5 thumbs up for you:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:  :thmup:

I will concede that at times Matt Schaub turns the ball over way to often like he's playing with a smoldering hot potato with greasy fingers. But, with JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, Johnathan Joseph, & now Ed Reed. Matt just has to relax & throw the ball away & don't force the ball into double or triple coverage. Punting is not always a bad thing IMO.

Ed Reed completely changes the other sides ability to score TDs now. Just don't bleep it up Matt. Less is more; Less is more.

The Colts are still my favorite NFL team; I haven't changed my allegiance at all. But the Texans are extremely dangerous. I can't ignore that fact.

Montana

Marino

Elway

Brady

Manning

Lol. Not a train wreck. We were on top there for awhile and thought the debates were good and civil. And how many threads stay on topic here anyways? Not many that I have seen.

When you are talking about a player's legacy, you HAVE to have a comparison to all the all-time quarterbacks in the game, not just some players that one person has seen. You can't totally compare eras, I get that, but many of these records, championships, and MVP's stand on their own. This is like having a baseball argument about the legacy of a modern, great home run hitter, and leaving out Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron from the discussion. A " Legacy " Quarterback , by nature, must be compared to all the greats of the game.

When you are talking about a player's legacy, you HAVE to have a comparison to all the all-time quarterbacks in the game, not just some players that one person has seen. You can't totally compare eras, I get that, but many of these records, championships, and MVP's stand on their own. This is like having a baseball argument about the legacy of a modern, great home run hitter, and leaving out Babe Ruth and Hank Aaron from the discussion. A " Legacy " Quarterback , by nature, must be compared to all the greats of the game.

great point.