Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what is gonna be peyton's legacy

CR91

Recently, I saw these stats in a book I was reading called "Brady vs. the NFL" and I wanted to list some stats that more or less debunk Manning as the greatest "regular" season QB. These stats go through the 2011 season but do not include 2012 as the book was published after the 2011 season. You be the judge:

Brady

Regular season record: 124-35 (winning percentage .780)

Manning

Regular season record: 141-67 (winning percentage: .678)

Brady

Passer rating: 96.4

Manning

Passer rating: 94.9

Brady

TD/INT ratio: 2.6/1

Mannning

TD/INT ratio: 2/1

Brady

Division titles

9 (10 if you include last year - a league record as no QB has ever won their division 10 times)

Manning

Division titles

7 (8 if you include last year)

Brady also has the only 16-0 regular season and the most 14 win or more seasons in NFL history at 4.

Manning of course has the 4 league MVPs to Brady's 2 but Brady won the only unanimous MVP in 2010 in league history. Brady also holds the record for most TDs in a season at 50 and best TD/INT ratio of all time 9:1 from his 2010 season.

How do you have 8?

Seven AFC South, one AFC East, and one AFC West.

But you forgot to add Brady has won the AFCE divison title with one of the weakest division's in NFL history. Jets, Bills, and Dolphins combined have had one of the worst decades ever...

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you have 8?

Seven AFC South, one AFC East, and one AFC West.

But you forgot to add Brady has won the AFCE divison title with one of the weakest division's in NFL history. Jets, Bills, and Dolphins combined have had one of the worst decades ever...

The Texans, Jaguars, and Titans were better when Manning was playing in the South? The South has been widely regarded as the weakest division for a long time, though we are admittedly getting more respect now.

My point is basically what you just said,  he has great stats, but for whatever reason, in the playoffs the team didn't do too great. Whether or not that's how you judge a Quarterback or not, thats how most do it.

I get your point. If Manning would have happened to finish with 5 SBs and every passing record available. There will be those who will say yea, but his SB run he didn't blah blah blah....

Or well he didn't blah blah blah...

But he didn't get to blah blah blah... And it's all because he didn't beat Florida.

The Texans, Jaguars, and Titans were better when Manning was playing in the South? The South has been widely regarded as the weakest division for a long time, though we are admittedly getting more respect now.

Yes, the Jags/Titans/Texans had a better record than the Jets/Dolphins/Titans.

Yes, Jags/Titans/Texans the had a better record than the Jets/Dolphins/Titans.

I'm too lazy to look up all the actual records but the Jets made the playoffs in '02, '04, '06, '09, and 2010. The Dolphins made it in '08. So that's 6 appearances. Titans went 4 times, Jaguars twice. The Texans made it once, but Manning was not the starter at that point. So that's 6 apearances for two separate teams in the East and the South. I'll look up their individual records eventually.

I'm too lazy to look up all the actual records but the Jets made the playoffs in '02, '04, '06, '09, and 2010. The Dolphins made it in '08. So that's 6 appearances. Titans went 4 times, Jaguars twice. The Texans made it once, but Manning was not the starter at that point. So that's 6 apearances for two separate teams in the East and the South. I'll look up their individual records eventually.

I'll muster up the stats soon.

4,000 yard seasons:

Manning 12

Brady 5

25+ TD Seasons:

Manning 14

Brady 7

All-Pros:

Manning 6

Brady 2

Seasons of 90+ passer rating:

Manning 10

Brady 7

Seasons of 65%+ completion percentage:

Manning 13

Brady 4

MVPs:

Manning 4

Brady 2

What Brady has been doing for the past 6 years is what Peyton has been doing since 1998.

Thanks Dustin. I knew I could count on you for all the stats. :-) Don't forget to add that Manning has three full seasons ahead of Brady in the stats department as he began in 1998 while Brady began in 2001.

I guess when I think of greatest regular season QB, I think of wins first and Brady basically wins 8 out of every 10 games he plays while Manning wins 2 out of 3. That is significant not to mention the divisional titles and the multiple historic seasons put up by Brady. I did not even mention the fact that two seasons ago he broke Marino''s 27 year old yardage record and just last season surpassed Unitas for most consecutive games with a TD pass at 48. He has six to go to catch Brees at 54. He also holds the record for most consecutive wins at 21 which includes the post-season. I think when people think of Brady they just think of his rings but he has a lot more to resume and he has a strong case for being the greatest regular and post-season QB.

Well well well...just an eight game difference. We are eerily close divisions when it comes to records.

True. But it does debunk the myth that Peyton was the only one to play in a sub-par division.

The one thing that is true is that Peyton played in a division with 2 dome teams (Indy, Houston) while Brady played outdoors all the time inside the division. I think it mattered more when Peyton had to go on the road to Foxboro than mattering the other way. But now, it seems like Foxboro has had mild weather (around 40s more often in the playoffs) since those early 2000s in the playoffs.

Maybe Belichick can change the weather too once his team becomes more offense reliant, LOL :) That guy must be evil. j/k

True. But it does debunk the myth that Peyton was the only one to play in a sub-par division.

The one thing that is true is that Peyton played in a division with 2 dome teams (Indy, Houston) while Brady played outdoors all the time inside the division. I think it mattered more when Peyton had to go on the road to Foxboro than mattering the other way. But now, it seems like Foxboro has had mild weather (around 40s more) since those early 2000s in the playoffs.

Maybe Belichick can change the weather too once his team becomes more offense reliant, LOL :) That guy must be evil. j/k

Lol. So Belichick controls the weather too. He really is a mastermind haha

Recently, I saw these stats in a book I was reading called "Brady vs. the NFL" and I wanted to list some stats that more or less debunk Manning as the greatest "regular" season QB. These stats go through the 2011 season but do not include 2012 as the book was published after the 2011 season. You be the judge:

Brady

Regular season record: 124-35 (winning percentage .780)

Manning

Regular season record: 141-67 (winning percentage: .678)

Brady

Passer rating: 96.4

Manning

Passer rating: 94.9

Brady

TD/INT ratio: 2.6/1

Mannning

TD/INT ratio: 2/1

Brady

Division titles

9 (10 if you include last year - a league record as no QB has ever won their division 10 times)

Manning

Division titles

7 (8 if you include last year)

Brady also has the only 16-0 regular season and the most 14 win or more seasons in NFL history at 4.

Manning of course has the 4 league MVPs to Brady's 2 but Brady won the only unanimous MVP in 2010 in league history. Brady also holds the record for most TDs in a season at 50 and best TD/INT ratio of all time 9:1 from his 2010 season.

why in all things holy do you feel the need to bring up Brady any time someone is talking about MANNINGS legacy? This has NOTHING to do with Brady so drop it.

Fair enough, Earl Morrall was one of the greatest back-ups of all time. He was also instrumental in the 1972 Dolphins undefeated season starting 11 out of 17 games. However, in Super Bowl 3, Morrall was terrible. Unitas came in the fourth quarter and outpassed Morrall for the game. He also helped put together the only Colts touchdown of the game. Unitas also led the Colts to an 11-1-2 campaign in 1967. I would argue if Unitas had been healthy, the Colts would have easily won Super Bowl 3. Shula also didn't make the same mistake in 1972. When Griese was healthy, he brought him back to replace Morrall. Morrall was not a Super Bowl quarterback, but a great back-up. I like Earl, it was a great 13-1 season, but it was one of the most horrible performances by a quarterback in Super Bowl history. When I watch the re-runs, I still can't believe what happened. Anyway, I like ol' Earl, and it was a dang shame what happened . Just think of it, Morrall was right in the middle of a 13-1 1968 season with a historic Super Bowl loss, and a 17-0 undefeated Dolphins team. He wasn't Unitas, but to me, he was the best back-up quarterback in league history.

Yes Earl Morrall was among the best if not the best back-up in history . . . and yes many forgot, or do not know, he was instrumental in the 72 fins season, had they had an average back-up, the team might of lost a game . . . funny how so much of that season was attributed to Bob G . . . . And yes Morrall was horrible in the SB, and to a degree the rest of the team . . . alas, we will never know what would of happened had Shula put Unitas in the game . . . perhaps he was thinking Morrall got him that far, give him a start . . .

Yes, the 1967 season, alas, for the colts, that was the year they split the conferences into two division each with Baltimore being placed with the Rams, . . . they had the lead till the last game of the season 11-0-2 and lost to the rams in LA at the Coliseum . . . the Rams won the tiebreaker and the division . . . GB lucked out as they were only 9-4-1 and won their division and then beat the rams, then Dallas in the Icebowl then the raiders in the SB . . . had the divisions been arranged differently the Colts would have been in the playoffs with the Rams . . .

why in all things holy do you feel the need to bring up Brady any time someone is talking about MANNINGS legacy? This has NOTHING to do with Brady so drop it.

Some here have said his legacy will be the greatest regular season QB of all time. I happen to disagree with the stats I noted on Brady as the reason why.

Well well well...just an eight game difference. We are eerily close divisions when it comes to records.

Also if you want to go based on vs. team record

the Patriots 2002-2007 and 2009-2011: 1142-1162 SOS is .495

Colts 2002-2010: 1195-1109: SOS is .519

Also I want to add the 2007 Patriots opponent amassed a whopping 99-157. One of the easiest schedules of all time.

Also I want to add the 2007 Patriots opponent amassed a whopping 99-157. One of the easiest schedules of all time.

In 2007 the Pats played one of the toughest schedules all time - 8 playoff teams. The division was easy but almost every other game was against a playoff team and they won 'em all.

I get your point. If Manning would have happened to finish with 5 SBs and every passing record available. There will be those who will say yea, but his SB run he didn't blah blah blah....

Or well he didn't blah blah blah...

But he didn't get to blah blah blah... And it's all because he didn't beat Florida.

Yeah I guess you could say that, but I wouldn't say its all because of Florida. I think the idea came up then, but there has been many quarterbacks who didn't win a national championship when they were in college, heck Andrew Luck didn't. 

In 2007 the Pats played one of the toughest schedules all time - 10 playoff teams. The division was easy but every other game was against a playoff team and they won 'em all.

I think you need to go check it again. The 2007 Patriots opponents amassed a 99-157 record.

Yeah I guess you could say that, but I wouldn't say its all because of Florida. I think the idea came up then, but there has been many quarterbacks who didn't win a national championship when they were in college, heck Andrew Luck didn't.

Well Florida was the biggest reason the Vols never won a Nat Champ. In 1997 they would have been in the Nat Champ if they beat Florida. But the Vols never were able to beat Florida.

I'll muster up the stats soon.

I dont have them handy, but is is lot closer than you think . . . did it once bout a year ago, but dont have the recods at my fingertips . . . also too, to get a true indicator one should take the extra step of seeing how many losses were inflicted by the colts and pats . . . if i remember it changes the wins/losses by a game or two . . .

Well I have come to the conclusion that...they have both won their division a crapload of times lol. Great teams or not, that kind of success is hard to maintain for as long as they did. Good for both QBs. :thmup:

If Peyton retired today, his legacy would be a great one.

Marvelous regular season record with the Colts with plenty of comebacks and putting the team on his back. 

He made Indianapolis what it is today and orchestrated the best offense in the past decade.

His playoff woes are of note, although he has one ring and went to another one. 

He is a cerebral assassin that gives defenses lots of problems. 

I think he is the greatest regular season QB ever.

I think you need to go check it again. The 2007 Patriots opponents amassed a 99-157 record.

Well Florida was the biggest reason the Vols never won a Nat Champ. In 1997 they would have been in the Nat Champ if they beat Florida. But the Vols never were able to beat Florida.

Sorry, it was 8 playoff teams. It was 108-100.  .519 winning percentage. The toughest strength of schedule for any team that went 18-1. http://voices.yahoo.com/who-best-18-1-teams-nfl-history-1940304.html?cat=14

not so sure about that . . . I got 120-136, and 120-120 without the losses from the Pats for a weighed average . . . we played Indy, SD, AFC North, NFC East . . .

Thanks Dustin. I knew I could count on you for all the stats. :-) Don't forget to add that Manning has three full seasons ahead of Brady in the stats department as he began in 1998 while Brady began in 2001.

I guess when I think of greatest regular season QB, I think of wins first and Brady basically wins 8 out of every 10 games he plays while Manning wins 2 out of 3. That is significant not to mention the divisional titles and the multiple historic seasons put up by Brady. I did not even mention the fact that two seasons ago he broke Marino''s 27 year old yardage record and just last season surpassed Unitas for most consecutive games with a TD pass at 48. He has six to go to catch Brees at 54. He also holds the record for most consecutive wins at 21 which includes the post-season. I think when people think of Brady they just think of his rings but he has a lot more to resume and he has a strong case for being the greatest regular and post-season QB.

Nah Peyton's still better in the regular season. It's not even close to be honest. Brady has been putting up elite numbers since 2007. Mannings done it since he's been in the league. I don't even think it's seriously even an argument. Peyton has been consistently elite since he came in the league. Brady hasn't.

Nah Peyton's still better in the regular season. It's not even close to be honest. Brady has been putting up elite numbers since 2007. Mannings done it since he's been in the league. I don't even think it's seriously even an argument. Peyton has been consistently elite since he came in the league. Brady hasn't.

To an extent, I agree. But you have to factor in how the teams were constructed. The team was not built around Brady as much in his early years when he won all those SBs and the Colts were, around Peyton and the offense, thus the numbers early on had to favor Peyton while looking at it objectively.

Now, the Pats are built around Brady a bit more since 2006, IMO and Brady is experiencing what Elway and Peyton had to endure, bearing more of a burden with less team support equals 0 SB wins since 2005.

If you are judging just stats than Favre by far is the greatest regular season QB. No? Like I said, I look at wins, divisional titles, historic seasons, stats, etc. Brady comes out on top when you factor everything in.

If you are judging just stats than Favre by far is the greatest regular season QB. No? Like I said, I look at wins, divisional titles, historic seasons, stats, etc. Brady comes out on top when you factor everything in.

I don't have to factor in wins at all. Wins are a team statistic. Peyton doesn't play 53 posistions on the field. And no technically Aaron Rodgers is the greatest Regular season QB of all time. Using the stats you listed.

I don't have to factor in wins at all. Wins are a team statistic. Peyton doesn't play 53 posistions on the field. And no technically Aaron Rodgers is the greatest Regular season QB of all time. Using the stats you listed.

That is not true. Stats are also a function of a team unless you think a QB blocks for himself and throws to himself?

Rodgers is nowhere near Favre. He holds every major passing record there is and the only three time consecutive MVP winner.

That is not true. Stats are also a function of a team unless you think a QB blocks for himself and throws to himself?

Rodgers is nowhere near Favre. He holds every major passing record there is and the only three time consecutive MVP winner.

Wins are more of a team effore than stats are. I mean team wins are such a terrible way to judge QB play it's not even funny.

And no Rodgers is already better than Favre ever was.

Longevity, consistency, comeback wins, and efficiency are all important to evaluate a QB. Of course, this includes playoffs too.

Longevity - Favre, Peyton and Brady all have it, Rodgers and Brees do not, at least not yet

Consistency - Favre, Peyton, Brady, Rodgers and Brees have it

Efficiency (QBR, INTs etc.) - Rodgers will soon come out ahead eventually, Brady is ahead in this category with Peyton behind, Brees and Favre come after that, IMO

Comeback wins - Biggest deterrent for Rodgers. Peyton and Favre are ahead in this category followed by Brady and Brees on this front with a Rodgers a distant last out of these 5

Wins are more of a team effore than stats are. I mean team wins are such a terrible way to judge QB play it's not even funny.

And no Rodgers is already better than Favre ever was.

Any yet all QBs are judged on wins/rings. Funny, huh? In the end winning is what matters. But like I said, Brady has some pretty gaudy stats too.

Rodgers has a long way to go to catch Favre. He may get there as long as he doesn't sign that 25 mil contract...

Any yet all QBs are judged on wins/rings. Funny, huh? In the end winning is what matters. But like I said, Brady has some pretty gaudy stats too.

Rodgers has a long way to go to catch Favre. He may get there as long as he doesn't sign that 25 mil contract...

I guess that's why Jim Plunkett is in the HOF.