Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what is gonna be peyton's legacy

Bottom line folks..  Denver gave up a prayer with 20+ seconds left and lost.     They should have WON that game.

And now Joe Flacco is "elite" ....      and Manning can't get it done....       go figure....

Just like SF fumbling 2x and GIVING the NYG a victory in the NFCCG in 11.  In Pro Football the "BEST" team does not win every year.

thats football. things happen that cant be exampled, but they happen

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither could John Elway until his LAST TWO SEASONS ......    IN DENVER.

Perception can change on a dime.

I agree, but judged off of his past decade plus of playing he hasn't had great post seasons. Even the year they won super bowl, he was terrible, but hey I'd love for him to win one more.

I agree, but judged off of his past decade plus of playing he hasn't had great post seasons. Even the year they won super bowl, he was terrible, but hey I'd love for him to win one more.

I don't see how beating the #1, #2, and #3 defenses in the league is terrible. Yeah, he didn't have the huge stats, but he played solid. The Ravens game 0TDs and 2INTs. But that maybe one of his best games...

Post Super Bowl he is

191/287, 66.5%, 2183 yards, 14TDs, 6INTs with a 96.78 passer rating. These are typical Peyton numbers. The perception of his pre-Super Bowl blunders need to start being forgotten.

Granted he is only 2-5, but as Colts fans we can only really put the SB loss on him, and even then that isn't clear cut.

My good God, will it ever end. It will be what it will be. Frankly.. who gives a ratty butt. All I know is I like the guy as a player on and off the field. He's done amazing things in his tender and how I view him is all that matters. Not what someone tells me to think. I know how I view his career. I dont care how you view his career.  :goat:

yes but throughout that playoff game. you can see peyton had a hard time throwing. was it the cold maybe, or maybe his arm gave out who knows

Man, it was near -20 that game. I know, I live near there. I would have loved to have seen you or anyone throw well in that kind of weather. I use to have a cannon for an arm and I know I couldnt have thrown it any better than Peyton did that game on my best day.

Judas, you make it seem like it was 65* and sunny with calm wind and he was dumping passes. Good grief. 

As far as I'm concerned, Manning's legacy already trumps Elway. As already pointed out, the Bronco's fudged the salary cap when Elway won his final two, and Elway's reputation up to that time, was that of a choker, who lost three Super Bowls.

As far as the Manning/Brady deal goes, it is like Unitas and Starr. Brady and Starr may have a couple of more Championships, but the majority of fans know Unitas and Manning were better quarterbacks. Both these guys called their own plays, while Brady and Starr were puppets of Bellichick and Lombardi.

Unitas invented the two minute drill, and timing passes. Three NFL Championships, and a Super Bowl to boot. Unitas is the quarterback for all time followed by Montana, then Manning.

I don't see how beating the #1, #2, and #3 defenses in the league is terrible. Yeah, he didn't have the huge stats, but he played solid. The Ravens game 0TDs and 2INTs. But that maybe one of his best games...

Post Super Bowl he is

191/287, 66.5%, 2183 yards, 14TDs, 6INTs with a 96.78 passer rating. These are typical Peyton numbers. The perception of his pre-Super Bowl blunders need to start being forgotten.

Granted he is only 2-5, but as Colts fans we can only really put the SB loss on him, and even then that isn't clear cut.

Peyton threw 9 pics all year that year.

Man, it was near -20 that game. I know, I live near there. I would have loved to have seen you or anyone throw well in that kind of weather. I use to have a cannon for an arm and I know I couldnt have thrown it any better than Peyton did that game on my best day.

Judas, you make it seem like it was 65* and sunny with calm wind and he was dumping passes. Good grief. 

its not like that was the only game peyton threw ducks and couldnt zip it

If you're insinuating that Denver is the best, whose to say that they don't lose to the 49ers in the big game, even if they do make it? That game was anyone's game with the score as close as it was. I don't think Denver should have won anything. They do have a good-looking roster on paper, though, so we will see how things fare the next 2 years.

Anyone's game? The Ravens needed one of the biggest defensive blunders in recent playoff history. There really is no excuse for that play. I don't know if Denver could have won it all, frankly I don't like how there D matched up with NE, but they def should have won that game.

As far as I'm concerned, Manning's legacy already trumps Elway. As already pointed out, the Bronco's fudged the salary cap when Elway won his final two, and Elway's reputation up to that time, was that of a choker, who lost three Super Bowls.

As far as the Manning/Brady deal goes, it is like Unitas and Starr. Brady and Starr may have a couple of more Championships, but the majority of fans know Unitas and Manning were better quarterbacks. Both these guys called their own plays, while Brady and Starr were puppets of Bellichick and Lombardi.

Unitas invented the two minute drill, and timing passes. Three NFL Championships, and a Super Bowl to boot. Unitas is the quarterback for all time followed by Montana, then Manning.

How can I use up all my likes on this one??? WHAT!!!!  Unitas is the quarterback for all time followed by Montana, then Manning.

Anyone's game? The Ravens needed one of the biggest defensive blunders in recent playoff history. There really is no excuse for that play. I don't know if Denver could have won it all, frankly I don't like how there D matched up with NE, but they def should have won that game.

It wasn't the defense's fault the game was that close in the first place. It's beside the point though, I was merely questioning JDs implying that Denver was the best team in 2012.

its not like that was the only game peyton threw ducks and couldnt zip it

Tell me when Peyton has been known for having a cannon and tight spirals? Never. It was always about placement and timing. the Cerebral side of Football. Cutler has a rocket.. and look how well he does. or how well he doesnt do. Power isnt everything. you know that. 

Peyton threw 9 pics all year that year.

He won the Super Bowl. What else did you want from him...

Peyton never beat Florida, and this is where this all stems from.

Then Peyton can never win a playoff. He did that.

Well can't he win a Super Bowl. He did that.

He'll never get back. He did that.

Now it's he'll never win another. So if he does that it turns into. Well he can't tie Brady's SBs.

If he does that. Well he can't win more than Brady....

And I'm sure if he does that. Well he can't win the most Super Bowls ever.

Heck I bet if he did that it would be, well he didn't win the Super Bowl every year.

thats really wishful thinking. the line keeps him up right but can his arm withstand it is the question. you go back to the playoff game and you'll see there was zero zip on the ball and a lot of ducks.

This thread you started looks like you are  :stir:  from the get go. :headspin: I will think of his legacy when he retires because a lot can happen before then. :)

Tell me when Peyton has been known for having a cannon and tight spirals? Never. It was always about placement and timing. the Cerebral side of Football. Cutler has a rocket.. and look how well he does. or how well he doesnt do. Power isnt everything. you know that. 

his ball had a lot better zip before he got to denver

This thread you started looks like you are  :stir:  from the get go. :headspin: I will think of his legacy when he retires because a lot can happen before then. :)

my intentions were good honest :)

He won the Super Bowl. What else did you want from him...

Peyton never beat Florida, and this is where this all stems from.

Then Peyton can never win a playoff. He did that.

Well can't he win a Super Bowl. He did that.

He'll never get back. He did that.

Now it's he'll never win another. So if he does that it turns into. Well he can't tie Brady's SBs.

If he does that. Well he can't win more than Brady....

And I'm sure if he does that. Well he can't win the most Super Bowls ever.

Heck I bet if he did that it would be, well he didn't win the Super Bowl every year.

Well no duh that's what I was saying. That's what his legacy will be remembered as if he doesn't win anymore, so thanks for provoing my point even more.

Well no duh that's what I was saying. That's what his legacy will be remembered as if he doesn't win anymore, so thanks for provoing my point even more.

My point was no matter what he does, or how much he wins it will never be talked about positively.

It will always be he didn't do enough. Even if he happened to do more than any other player...

"Greatest Regular Season QB of All -Tme"-Skip Bayless, and as much as I hate to admit it, he is right...He is top 5 just ahead of Marino cause he has won 1 and been to 2..I love Peyton , but most of the time in the biggest moments he choked...I know he didn't have great defenses, but there were a lot of playoff games we were shut down, New England twice, Pittsburgh, and San Diego come to mind..I honestly believe we had the best teams those years and Peyton just got nervous,  happy feet and got flustered...It is what it is...That's where I think Luck is different I think he is clutch, and if he gets time he will tear teams apart no matter who they are or where they play..Love ya Peyton, but I don't miss the ahh shucks shrug and head shake after you throw a pick to end a playoff game like you did in Denver once again this year..Your defense didn't help, but you still had a chance to win and you failed..We should have won a minimum 3 Super Bowls with the offensive teams we had, and Freeney and Mathis at ends on D..

longest streak of consecutive playoff games with a fourth quarter lead.  

Indianapolis 2006-10 (current) 10 6-4

Pittsburgh 2005-10 10 9-1

Dallas 1975-78 9 7-2

Oakland 1980-83 9 8-1

San Francisco 1988-92 9 8-1

New England 2001-05 9 9-0

Miami 1981-84 8 5-3

NY Giants 1986-93 8 7-1

Green Bay 1995-97 8 7-1

Tennessee 1991-99 7 4-3

Denver 1997-98 7 7-0

Washington 1982-83 6 6-0

Carolina 2003-05 6 5-1

Philadelphia 1948-79 5 4-1

Buffalo 1990-91 5 4-1

Seattle 1999-05 5 2-3

Baltimore 2000-01 5 5-0

you think of joe montana you think of 4 super bowls. you think john elway you think of captain comeback. generations from now will people think of peyton as the cerebral machine like qb that dissected defenses or will he be remembered for his playoff woes.

I'd say the former. cerebral that caused defenses nightmares:)

He won one SB..that's enough.

His legacy is fine, a HOF QB and among the best to ever play the game. Unless you are into arguing he is "GOAT" or better then Brady and then you will never win I feel against those who feel differently. Those arguments are probably not meant to be won anyway since you can go in so many different directions and make a good case for it. But, it can be fun, I guess.

JMO

He will be a HOF player and is a HOF QB that is one of the best to ever play the game at a high level for a long time. Top 5 QB of all time, time will tell if he can vault into top 2 or 3. Maybe, like Rick Pitino did with 2 separate teams (coaching college national championship), he might be first QB to win SB with 2 separate teams.

He is a HOF player who had his limitations manifest vs the best Ds in the playoffs. His regular season record even against top 5 Ds was around the .500-.600 range, and it was par for the course in the playoffs too. The only difference that he didn't play those elite teams back-to-back-to-back in the regular season as often, IMO.

He couldn't extend plays with his legs like a Big Ben or Rodgers, didn't take QB sneaks for critical first downs like Brady, and so had to take more chances. Those chances got him more INTs than he bargained for and thanks to Polian's neglect of ST, his avg. starting field position was more often worse than almost all of the playoff QBs in comparison during the Colts era and was a big part of the offense underachieving as well in terms of point production vs elite Ds.

Peyton and the Colts consistently felt the brunt of building a team outside in vs inside out thus getting dominated at the line of scrimmage consistently vs playoff teams. It was great for ticket sales and entertainment, the offense in the dome but the way the team was built was not a recipe for playoff success, IMO.

So then Elway's rings don't count because that was when he was running out of time?

He's till got 2-3 years. What you're saying now is what they said about Elway in 1996. Elway wasn't the catalyst for those Super Bowl wins. TD carried them on his back. All it takes is for one guy to step up. It doesn't need to rely all on Peyton.

Short, sweet, accurate, & beautifully stated gentlemen. Nice work FX & Dustin! Point, set, match.  haha  ;) To the victor, go the spoils...

"Greatest Regular Season QB of All -Tme"-Skip Bayless, and as much as I hate to admit it, he is right...He is top 5 just ahead of Marino cause he has won 1 and been to 2..I love Peyton , but most of the time in the biggest moments he choked...I know he didn't have great defenses, but there were a lot of playoff games we were shut down, New England twice, Pittsburgh, and San Diego come to mind..I honestly believe we had the best teams those years and Peyton just got nervous,  happy feet and got flustered...It is what it is...That's where I think Luck is different I think he is clutch, and if he gets time he will tear teams apart no matter who they are or where they play..Love ya Peyton, but I don't miss the ahh shucks shrug and head shake after you throw a pick to end a playoff game like you did in Denver once again this year..Your defense didn't help, but you still had a chance to win and you failed..We should have won a minimum 3 Super Bowls with the offensive teams we had, and Freeney and Mathis at ends on D..

I am in love with evey word of this post. Well said. And I totally agree about Luck. He is the real deal number one pick. Very jealous that Indy transitioned right to this stud.

Everyone has their opinion but I am convinced you watched football in an alternate universe. :-)

Recently, I saw these stats in a book I was reading called "Brady vs. the NFL" and I wanted to list some stats that more or less debunk Manning as the greatest "regular" season QB. These stats go through the 2011 season but do not include 2012 as the book was published after the 2011 season. You be the judge:

Brady

Regular season record: 124-35 (winning percentage .780)

Manning

Regular season record: 141-67 (winning percentage: .678)

Brady

Passer rating: 96.4

Manning

Passer rating: 94.9

Brady

TD/INT ratio: 2.6/1

Mannning

TD/INT ratio: 2/1

Brady

Division titles

9 (10 if you include last year - a league record as no QB has ever won their division 10 times)

Manning

Division titles

7 (8 if you include last year)

Brady also has the only 16-0 regular season and the most 14 win or more seasons in NFL history at 4.

Manning of course has the 4 league MVPs to Brady's 2 but Brady won the only unanimous MVP in 2010 in league history. Brady also holds the record for most TDs in a season at 50 and best TD/INT ratio of all time 9:1 from his 2010 season.

My point was no matter what he does, or how much he wins it will never be talked about positively.

It will always be he didn't do enough. Even if he happened to do more than any other player...

My point is basically what you just said,  he has great stats, but for whatever reason, in the playoffs the team didn't do too great. Whether or not that's how you judge a Quarterback or not, thats how most do it.

you think of joe montana you think of 4 super bowls. you think john elway you think of captain comeback. generations from now will people think of peyton as the cerebral machine like qb that dissected defenses or will he be remembered for his playoff woes.

1.  Montana 4 SB's  the greatest .

2. When I think Elway I think  " Horse face "  Captain Comeback was Colt  Jim Harbaugh

3.Peyton Manning a cerebral machine a SB MVP  who's playoff woes remind us that offense draws crowds & defenses win games .

Given a second chance with the acquisition of Andrew Luck the Colts franchise will turn those woes into wins for the next decade .

Recently, I saw these stats in a book I was reading called "Brady vs. the NFL" and I wanted to list some stats that more or less debunk Manning as the greatest "regular" season QB. These stats go through the 2011 season but do not include 2012 as the book was published after the 2011 season. You be the judge:

Brady

Manning

Brady

Manning

Brady

Mannning

Brady

Division titles

9 (10 if you include last year - a league record as no QB has ever won their division 10 times)

Manning

Division titles

Brady also has the only 16-0 regular season and the most 14 win or more seasons in NFL history at 4.

Manning of course has the 4 league MVPs to Brady's 2 but Brady won the only unanimous MVP in 2010 in league history. Brady also holds the record for most TDs in a season at 50 and best TD/INT ratio of all time 9:1 from his 2010 season.

:popcorn::thinking::facepalm::violin:

Everyone has their opinion but I am convinced you watched football in an alternate universe. :-)

If you take off your Tom Brady is greatest hat for a second, you'll find that universally that most top sportswriters hail Johnny Unitas as THE all -time quarterback. Unitas won three NFL Championships, and a Super Bowl, lost one in 1964, and almost won  two others in 1965 and 1967. And this was during the Lombardi era ! He invented the two minute drill and timing patterns, and quarterbacked in an era where defenses weren't at such a disadvantage. With the new rules favoring the offense, guys like Brady, who don't call their own plays like Unitas and Manning, pad their statistics.

As far as Brady/Manning go, Manning is the more innovative and calls his own plays. Your Brady argument is the Bart Starr/Terry Bradshaw argument, where you mainly cite the quarterback's teams success as why they are better than other quarterbacks. While this is a factor, when judging the top quarterbacks, we know there are other factors involved also. Some of the Patriot's successes were also accomplished under less than dubious circumstances. The Patriots fan would like that to go away, but it's always there like Barry Bonds gigantic head.

3.Peyton Manning a cerebral machine a SB MVP  who's playoff woes remind us that offense draws crowds & defenses win games .

Given a second chance with the acquisition of Andrew Luck the Colts franchise will turn those woes into wins for the next decade .

I am excited about the element of extending plays that we never had with Peyton with Andrew Luck. But I will wait to anoint him till he gets his accuracy and completion % higher to be at the same level as Peyton to begin with. Then, not building a team around a QB exclusively like the Peyton era will require Luck to be needed only certain times and not every single drive to overcome other shortcomings in the playoffs.

Brady

Manning

Brady

Manning

Brady

Mannning

Brady

Division titles

Manning

Division titles

4,000 yard seasons:

Manning 12

Brady 5

25+ TD Seasons:

Manning 14

Brady 7

All-Pros:

Manning 6

Brady 2

Seasons of 90+ passer rating:

Manning 10

Brady 7

Seasons of 65%+ completion percentage:

Manning 13

Brady 4

MVPs:

Manning 4

Brady 2

What Brady has been doing for the past 6 years is what Peyton has been doing since 1998.

Old Crow I like Unitas and much as the next guy on this board . . . but when we are trying mitigate QB's accomplishments with respect how good of a team around his was, we can not overlook 1968 and the Colts NFL Championship . . . and for all of those "see what Matt Cassel did in 2008" crowd, we must remember that a 34 year old Earl Morrall was handed the keys to Unitas's colts and not only did he win the NFL Championship with the team, he won the MVP Award and the colts had one of the greatest NFL season's in NFL history and some were touting them as the greatest of all time . . . so when Unitas was replaced by a back-up QB (albeit a great backup) the team went on to be consisteed one of the best of all time and won a NFL Championship by smoking the then strong Browns 34-0 in the Browns house . . . which actually was a bigger win than the two colts victorys under Unitas in 58 and 59. . . and for what it is worth the 13-1 colts record under Morrall is the greatest season, from a winning percentage standpoint, in the history of the colts, both in Baltimore and Indy, which of coarse includes Manning and Unitas . . . So bottom line when Morrall was handed the keys to the Unitas colts he put up the most wins by the colts in their storied history . . .

I am not one to try an absolute plug and play direct analogy . . . but when one steps back and tries to gauge how strong and helpful Unitas's teammates were to a QB, one can look no further than 1968 . . . there were a lot of great players on the 50-60s colts . . . it was not like Unitas was playing with a bad team and carried them to success . . .

As for Manning's legacy, we can certianly look at it to date, which is always fun to do as fans loved to talk about their favorite player, but as Manning has a few more years left and is on a solid Denver team in a weak AFC West division he can certainly add to his legacy . . . and to a degree can water it down some if he does not have success at the end of is career . . . also to players are viewed in light of their peers and the ones that come after them, so that could change it to . . . like if Aaron Rogers or Luck go on to have stellar careers it might effect the present QBs places in history . . .

But here is how I look at Manning legacy to date . . . here are something that will not change regardless of what happens over the next few years . . . no real order here just making a list . . .

1) Was instrumental in converting a basketball town and state to a football town and state

2) His Mastercard Commercials - he is agreat show man and has some famous quotes

3) 2003-2009, I like to call his Age of Greatness, where Manning put together a great run of 7 years with 2 SB appearances, one win, 4 league MVPs and six division titles out of 7 years . . . surely he had a HOF caliber coach and great player around him, but all great QBs have this benefit . . . it is what you do with this benefit that counts, and Manning had a great run in this years . . .

4) Overall career stats in areas of TDs and Yards will put him among the tops of the game, he may be the leader in the club house when he retires, but there will likely be some that come after him that may surpass his records

5) Consecutive Game streak . . .

6) The Sheriff

Surely he can add to this if he can win another SB or two, which would help given that he playoff record is not the best . . . we will have to wait and see about this, the above and what I see to date for Manning . . . just my two cents . . .

Old Crow I like Unitas and much as the next guy on this board . . . but when we are trying mitigate QB's accomplishments with respect how good of a team around his was, we can not overlook 1968 and the Colts NFL Championship . . . and for all of those "see what Matt Cassel did in 2008" crowd, we must remember that a 34 year old Earl Morrall was handed the keys to Unitas's colts and not only did he win the NFL Championship with the team, he won the MVP Award and the colts had one of the greatest NFL season's in NFL history and some were touting them as the greatest of all time . . . so when Unitas was replaced by a back-up QB (albeit a great backup) the team went on to be consisteed one of the best of all time and won a NFL Championship by smoking the then strong Browns 34-0 in the Browns house . . . which actually was a bigger win than the two colts victorys under Unitas in 58 and 59. . . and for what it is worth the 13-1 colts record under Morrall is the greatest season, from a winning percentage standpoint, in the history of the colts, both in Baltimore and Indy, which of coarse includes Manning and Unitas . . . So bottom line when Morrall was handed the keys to the Unitas colts he put up the most wins by the colts in their storied history . . .

I am not one to try an absolute plug and play direct analogy . . . but when one steps back and tries to gauge how strong and helpful Unitas's teammates were to a QB, one can look no further than 1968 . . . there were a lot of great players on the 50-60s colts . . . it was not like Unitas was playing with a bad team and carried them to success . . .

Fair enough, Earl Morrall was one of the greatest back-ups of all time. He was also instrumental in the 1972 Dolphins undefeated season starting 11 out of 17 games. However, in Super Bowl 3, Morrall was terrible. Unitas came in the fourth quarter and outpassed Morrall for the game. He also helped put together the only Colts touchdown of the game. Unitas also led the Colts to an 11-1-2 campaign in 1967. I would argue if Unitas had been healthy, the Colts would have easily won Super Bowl 3. Shula also didn't make the same mistake in 1972. When Griese was healthy, he brought him back to replace Morrall. Morrall was not a Super Bowl quarterback, but a great back-up. I like Earl, it was a great 13-1 season, but it was one of the most horrible performances by a quarterback in Super Bowl history. When I watch the re-runs, I still can't believe what happened. Anyway, I like ol' Earl, and it was a dang shame what happened . Just think of it, Morrall was right in the middle of a 13-1 1968 season with a historic Super Bowl loss, and a 17-0 undefeated Dolphins team. He wasn't Unitas, but to me, he was the best back-up quarterback in league history.