Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

My Draft

In this scenario, we trade our top 3(assuming it's first overall) pick to the Cleveland Browns(assuming they end up as the 12th overall pick and Atlanta ends up as #24 overall) for both of their first round picks and their 2 second round picks and there 1st round pick for next year.

#12 1st round - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6-1, 193lbs

#24 1st round - Manti Te'o, LB, Notre Dame, 6-2, 255lbs

#1 2nd round - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6-5, 307lbs(Might be stretching it here)

#12 2nd round - Brandon Thompson, NT, Clemson, 6-1, 310

#24 2nd round - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M, 6-3, 220lbs/Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia, 6-3, 245lbs

#1 3rd round - Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6-5, 240lbs

#1 4th round - Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame, 6-2, 215lbs

#1 5th round - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State, 6-4, 210lbs

#1 6th round - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida, 6-3, 303lbs

#1 7th round - Malik Jackson, DE, Tennessee, 6-5, 270lbs

Say what you will about this draft, I just needed get this idea out of my head.

Atlanta gave up 5 picks to move up for Julio Jones...for "the best QB prospect since Elway or Manning" I wouldn't be surprised to see teams giving up even more to move up for Luck.

However, Austincollie, I'd be curious to know which draft boards you're going by because you have a number of guys going lower than they likely will. I've made comments in blue...however I would throw a week long kegger after the draft if we got the players you mentioned :D lol

#12 1st round - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6-1, 193lbs swap Gilmore with Brandon Thompson...Gilmore is being projected later and Thompson is projected much earlier. So simply swap the order of the picks and we could still get both :)

#1 2nd round - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford, 6-5, 307lbs(Might be stretching it here)

#24 2nd round - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M, 6-3, 220lbs/Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia, 6-3, 245lbs Fuller is pretty widely being considered a late 1st or early second round pick. We could take him in place of David DeCastro and still most likely get a very good Guard here

#1 3rd round - Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6-5, 240lbs Based on many current draft boards, this could be possible. However, come draft time Foles will most likely have moved into the late 1st to early/mid 2nd round at the latest

#1 5th round - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State, 6-4, 210lbs right now most boards are projecting him in the 7th round. I don't see anyway that remains true come draft day. Moye will move up, but the question is how much.

#1 6th round - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida, 6-3, 303lbs Very unlikely. I believe Jaye is being projected in the late 3rd to early 4th round. If either David Caldwell or Joe Lefeged prove they can be a starter then the Harrison Smith pick could be used for Howard.

Atlanta gave up 5 picks to move up for Julio Jones...for "the best QB prospect since Elway or Manning" I wouldn't be surprised to see teams giving up even more to move up for Luck.

However, Austincollie, I'd be curious to know which draft boards you're going by because you have a number of guys going lower than they likely will. I've made comments in blue...however I would throw a week long kegger after the draft if we got the players you mentioned :D lol

#12 1st round - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina, 6-1, 193lbs swap Gilmore with Brandon Thompson...Gilmore is being projected later and Thompson is projected much earlier. So simply swap the order of the picks and we could still get both :)

#24 2nd round - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M, 6-3, 220lbs/Bruce Irvin, DE, West Virginia, 6-3, 245lbs Fuller is pretty widely being considered a late 1st or early second round pick. We could take him in place of David DeCastro and still most likely get a very good Guard here

#1 3rd round - Nick Foles, QB, Arizona, 6-5, 240lbs Based on many current draft boards, this could be possible. However, come draft time Foles will most likely have moved into the late 1st to early/mid 2nd round at the latest

#1 5th round - Derek Moye, WR, Penn State, 6-4, 210lbs right now most boards are projecting him in the 7th round. I don't see anyway that remains true come draft day. Moye will move up, but the question is how much.

#1 6th round - Jaye Howard, DT, Florida, 6-3, 303lbs Very unlikely. I believe Jaye is being projected in the late 3rd to early 4th round. If either David Caldwell or Joe Lefeged prove they can be a starter then the Harrison Smith pick could be used for Howard.

Agree with you on Foles. I don't see anyway how he would last till the 3rd rd. unless he just flat collapses this yr. and sucks bigtime. Im not overly impressed with Foles because IMO he just looks lost a lot of times and floats his throws a lot too. Im sure these things could be resolved easily enough with good coaching. He does have great size though and has a big arm, which makes me wonder why he floats short passes so much.

Agree with you on Foles. I don't see anyway how he would last till the 3rd rd. unless he just flat collapses this yr. and sucks bigtime. Im not overly impressed with Foles because IMO he just looks lost a lot of times and floats his throws a lot too. Im sure these things could be resolved easily enough with good coaching. He does have great size though and has a big arm, which makes me wonder why he floats short passes so much.

I agree with you about his passes having a tendency to float. The first game I watched of his I was very impressed. Then I read multiple reports that pointed out the short pass accuracy issue so I decided to really pay attention to this in the next games I watched. To me it looks like it's in his throwing motion. If you watch his arm, as he's throwing the ball, his arm winds up going down more than it should and the ball looks like it floats off the top of his hand instead of being driven out of his hand. On longer throws this works out very well because it allows him to drop the ball over the LB but in front of the CB. It hurts him though on the shorter throws. I think this is something that should be able to be fairly easily coached out of him.

I disagree about him looking lost in the pocket though. I've actually thought he looks very poised in the pocket and has a nice ability to side step pressure. He appears to always have his eyes down the field and go through is progressions. The problem I've seen though is that on occasion he holds on to the ball too long and takes a snap whereas he could throw the ball away or scramble and try to pick up a few yards. I think he has good enough athleticism to scramble for 5-10 yards here or there. He's certainly not a Vick type but I do think he's more mobile than most standard pocket passers.

I agree with you about his passes having a tendency to float. The first game I watched of his I was very impressed. Then I read multiple reports that pointed out the short pass accuracy issue so I decided to really pay attention to this in the next games I watched. To me it looks like it's in his throwing motion. If you watch his arm, as he's throwing the ball, his arm winds up going down more than it should and the ball looks like it floats off the top of his hand instead of being driven out of his hand. On longer throws this works out very well because it allows him to drop the ball over the LB but in front of the CB. It hurts him though on the shorter throws. I think this is something that should be able to be fairly easily coached out of him.

I disagree about him looking lost in the pocket though. I've actually thought he looks very poised in the pocket and has a nice ability to side step pressure. He appears to always have his eyes down the field and go through is progressions. The problem I've seen though is that on occasion he holds on to the ball too long and takes a snap whereas he could throw the ball away or scramble and try to pick up a few yards. I think he has good enough athleticism to scramble for 5-10 yards here or there. He's certainly not a Vick type but I do think he's more mobile than most standard pocket passers.

I'll admit im just basing my observations on a handfull of games. Could just be that when I watched him he wasn't playing well. The only Qb's that im really familier with would be Luck and Moore. I have seen all but maybe 5-6 games of Luck's since he went to Stanford. Thats because im a huge Jim Harbaugh fan so I rooted for him when he went to Stanford, then Luck showed up and from his very 1st game, I said to myself, "I would like to see this guy take over for Manning one day". Thats why im so high on him.

Well I am using that CBS sports site you use, Walterfootball, draftcountdown, nfl draft scout, NFLsFuture, and simply typing in player's names w/draft projection and seeing the general consensus of what people think a certain player will go into said round. I am interested in the one's you use. I knew I was going to get flak for some of these picks because as I posted this I knew they seemed outlandish and a bit of a reach.

When i type in Stephon Gilmore, sites have him listed as a top 15 prospect(NFLsFuture, nfldraft101, nflmocks) and a top 2 cornerback(NFLsFuture). I've seen Brandon Thompson ranked as a mid first rounder (behind Jerel Worthy and Marcus Forston) to a mid second rounder(NFLsFuture). Jeff Fuller, well I have seen him ranked 24th on CBS sports and a late 1st rounder to early-mid second rounder in mock drafts(WalterFootball mock draft). Nick Foles you have it right. Seemed like the right spot to put him at. For Derek Moye I guesstimated on what round he would be at the end of the year. The way you spoke so highly of him I figured I would bump him up a couple of rounds as it stands right now.

Looking back at Jaye Howard, can't really say what I was thinking other than on nfldraftscout had him as a 4th-5th rounder so I had him "fall" down the draft boards.

Like I said say what you will about this draft but I needed to get the trade down scenario out of my head. So regardless of what players I chose don't think about the choices but rather the trade down scenario. And yeah if this draft somehow did come true, I think you would need more than 1 keg.

Well I am using that CBS sports site you use, Walterfootball, draftcountdown, nfl draft scout, NFLsFuture, and simply typing in player's names w/draft projection and seeing the general consensus of what people think a certain player will go into said round. I am interested in the one's you use. I knew I was going to get flak for some of these picks because as I posted this I knew they seemed outlandish and a bit of a reach.

When i type in Stephon Gilmore, sites have him listed as a top 15 prospect(NFLsFuture, nfldraft101, nflmocks) and a top 2 cornerback(NFLsFuture). I've seen Brandon Thompson ranked as a mid first rounder (behind Jerel Worthy and Marcus Forston) to a mid second rounder(NFLsFuture). Jeff Fuller, well I have seen him ranked 24th on CBS sports and a late 1st rounder to early-mid second rounder in mock drafts(WalterFootball mock draft). Nick Foles you have it right. Seemed like the right spot to put him at. For Derek Moye I guesstimated on what round he would be at the end of the year. The way you spoke so highly of him I figured I would bump him up a couple of rounds as it stands right now.

Looking back at Jaye Howard, can't really say what I was thinking other than on nfldraftscout had him as a 4th-5th rounder so I had him "fall" down the draft boards.

Like I said say what you will about this draft but I needed to get the trade down scenario out of my head. So regardless of what players I chose don't think about the choices but rather the trade down scenario. And yeah if this draft somehow did come true, I think you would need more than 1 keg.

With Moye there is no telling how high he'll move up. He could very well move into the 5th or maybe even 4th rounds if he has a great year. The one thing that may hurt his chances are lack of consistency at the QB situation for Penn State.

I think I'm pretty much using all the same draft boards that you are. With Thompson, I agree there is a lot of inconsistency...in fact there's a lot of inconsistency overall in regards to the top DT's. Some have Alameda Ta'amu as a top 20 pick while others have him in the mid 2nd round. Thompson I've seen pretty much anywhere in the first to possibly early second. With Howard, yeah put the beers down. :P lol So yeah some of the comments I made were based not only on the current draft boards but also how I think they'll move as the year progresses. I think one thing to consider with the DT is that some of the top DT's are UT's whereas Thompson is pretty solidly a NT so if there aren't other top DT's who play the NT then he could go higher than others simply based on that. :)

I like Moye as a mid round pick. Solid guy who has all the potential in the world.

Totally agreed...I wouldn't have a problem with him staying in the 6th or 7th though so we can get the steal of the decade. That said though, if he moves up to the 5th or even 4th rounds, so long as our other areas are addressed I still would love to see us draft him. It would be quite a change for Peyton to have a WR that can actually look him eye to eye. lol :D

Totally agreed...I wouldn't have a problem with him staying in the 6th or 7th though so we can get the steal of the decade. That said though, if he moves up to the 5th or even 4th rounds, so long as our other areas are addressed I still would love to see us draft him. It would be quite a change for Peyton to have a WR that can actually look him eye to eye. lol :D

How, how true. Even then though he's still taller than Moye lol

This upcoming draft will make or break the Colts. The positions we need most are rich in this draft (SECONDARY! WR). Hopefully Polian doesnt screw us over.

Chris Polian did a great job last year of aggressively going after our areas of need. I have no reason to believe he won't do the same again. :)

I agree and would also add WR.

Outside wideouts mainly in round 1, after that it is drafting for potential for outside wideouts and will be a hit or miss. Slot wideouts start dominating after round 1. That is why I feel, due to the depth of CB in this draft too, we go outside wideout first and then a couple of CBs (hopefully getting 3 picks in 2 rounds).

Outside wideouts mainly in round 1, after that it is drafting for potential for outside wideouts and will be a hit or miss. Slot wideouts start dominating after round 1. That is why I feel, due to the depth of CB in this draft too, we go outside wideout first and then a couple of CBs (hopefully getting 3 picks in 2 rounds).

I agree, and that is the smart football decision to make....but I tell ya, every time I watch an Alabama game I totally homer out and want no one but Kirkpatrick with our top pick. lol

We are definatly going to need help in our obvious holes, but which one needs it worse should be decided this season and after we see who we keep/let go. I sure hope we are able to keep Reggie and Mathis. That will really keep some big needs filled. But we will still need a number 2 WR that can take over as the number 1 after Reggie is gone. I think we should double up on Wide-outs in the draft as well as DBs. It seems that doubling up on a position dramatically seems to help fill a need.

The Buc's best reciever last year was drafted second of their doubling (Williams) and has out performed Benn, taken before him.

Reggie could be our only WR we have next year if we re-sign him.

If mathis leaves then I think DE would be a big need. Foster would prolly become the starter, but he is not the pass rusher Mathis is. That lets them double team Freeney on every play really hurting his ability to get pressure. Without two good pass rushers, that makes the holes at DB even worse and more obvious. Unless Hughes all of a sudden gets good lol.

I also really like Fole's. But the only way we should draft him as high as I belive he will go is if we they believe he can be a future starter. I dont think he gets out of the 2nd round. I also like Kellen Moore. Most QBs of his size dont do great in the NFL, but how great he is now cant be totally ignored. I think he could be a future starter in the NFL that could drop to the 3rd round because of his size. But he could very easily be taken earlier.

QB is such a hard position to predict. Almost no one had Locker and Ponder goin that early or Tebow in the first round. Most people thought he would go 3rd round and maybe not even for a QB. A lot of people didnt think Mallet would drop to the third round.

QB is so hard to predict because its a position that is so easy for one team to fall in love with a guy and take him a lot earlier and thats all it takes. Scouting views on QBs vary so much. I saw some people saying that Cam Newton should go in the 2nd round but he goes number 1 overall and has been very good.

your post here

I think Foles will be the highest graded QB behind the top 3...Luck, Landry and Barkley and I think he could push for Barkley's spot at #3. His biggest problems are with short-pass accuracy, footwork to some extent and he has a tendency every once in a while to hold on to the ball too long and take a sack. These should all be easy problems to fix and I think he can and will be a future starter somewhere. He's my top pick for QB because I really don't want to spend a top 5 pick on QB considering we'll have perhaps the best ever in Manning to help groom the new guy. I think a late first round or early 2nd round pick is about right and of that group I think Foles is the best. Behind him I'd take Kirk Cousins. I like Kellen Moore, but his size and questionable arm strength (he has strength to put good zip on short and intermediate passes but is said to not be very good at throwing the deep ball) are going to hurt his draft stock. In the end though you're absolutely right in that QB can be one of the hardest positions to predict.

As for WR, there are definitely a few elite WRs in Jeffrey and Blackmon, but there are also going to be a lot of solid outside WRs as well that can be good or great as a #1. I would love to see Jeffrey as a Colt but it would be more of a luxury than a necessity. In the mid to late first round you should have Michael Floyd and Jeff Fuller. In the third you could be looking at Greg Childs or Ryan Broyles (I would not be surprised to see him targetted as a slot WR for us). Then you might have Juron Criner or Dwight Jones in the 4th, Marquis Maze in the 5th, and in a late round Derek Moye who I want to see a Colt...no ifs ands or buts. lol

I do think we resign Collie, but if we can make a deal and acquire a few extra picks then i wouldn't be at all surprised to see 2 new WRs drafted.

If they decide to part with Mathis, we could probably get Quinton Coples in the first round. I wouldn't otherwise be very high on the idea of taking a DE in the first round, but he has both size and speed so he could be an every down DE instead of having to come in only on passing or running plays.

If they decide to part with Mathis, we could probably get Quinton Coples in the first round. I wouldn't otherwise be very high on the idea of taking a DE in the first round, but he has both size and speed so he could be an every down DE instead of having to come in only on passing or running plays.

I would also like to see Collie back. Him and manning seem to have great chemistry. Before his injuries he was leading the league last year. Of what I've seen so far Coples is expected to be a top 5 pick. But I love his size. More of a Julius Peppers body type then the short speed rushers we have had. Idk a lot about Coples. But the best thing a DE would have coming here if Mathis is gone is not being double teamed because that is almost always more on Freeney's side.

Moore's size and arm strength are the only problems I really see with him. But if he can work on the strength by really doing some lifting to get an adequate deep ball he is at worst a very good back up in my mind. Drew Brees was said to have a lot of the same down falls. Im not saying he will be Drew Brees, but has some of the same physical downsides.

I would also like to see Collie back. Him and manning seem to have great chemistry. Before his injuries he was leading the league last year. Of what I've seen so far Coples is expected to be a top 5 pick. But I love his size. More of a Julius Peppers body type then the short speed rushers we have had. Idk a lot about Coples. But the best thing a DE would have coming here if Mathis is gone is not being double teamed because that is almost always more on Freeney's side.

Moore's size and arm strength are the only problems I really see with him. But if he can work on the strength by really doing some lifting to get an adequate deep ball he is at worst a very good back up in my mind. Drew Brees was said to have a lot of the same down falls. Im not saying he will be Drew Brees, but has some of the same physical downsides.

With Moore, honestly it's more about the arm strength than his height imo. If he had Brees level arm strength I'd be fine with it. I haven't seen very much of him yet and what I did see they didn't try to go down field....is that because he can't or because the deep WR wasn't open when he was going to? No way to know for sure but it's something I want to keep my eye on.

I mentioned Derek Moye before...not sure if you've ever seen him play but I'll put it this way...he reminds me a lot of Austin Collie....except he's 6'5". :D During one game one of the announcers also said Moye ran a 4.3 40. Not sure how official that is but he is fast.

With Moore, honestly it's more about the arm strength than his height imo. If he had Brees level arm strength I'd be fine with it. I haven't seen very much of him yet and what I did see they didn't try to go down field....is that because he can't or because the deep WR wasn't open when he was going to? No way to know for sure but it's something I want to keep my eye on.

I mentioned Derek Moye before...not sure if you've ever seen him play but I'll put it this way...he reminds me a lot of Austin Collie....except he's 6'5". :D During one game one of the announcers also said Moye ran a 4.3 40. Not sure how official that is but he is fast.

Ive not watched any of his tape, but Ill make a point to. Id love to have a WR of that size, but it seems like the FO is against it lol.. But maybe Chris likes bigger guys to pass to as well. Im hoping. A guy with that size to go with Reggie and Collie could make us the Offensive force of '04. Itd be nice to have 3 wideouts over 1000 yards again!

I have seen some deep balls thrown by Moore, but it was when he had Titus Young as a target. The one throw that comes to mind right off is when they lost in OT last year. The play that put them in FG range to possibly win it was a deep pass to Titus. But the Kicker shanked two FG to cause them to lose.

If you know a site to watch some tape of Moye Id like to check it out. By the very limited amout Ive seen him he seems that he really needs to add a little bulk and strength.

If you know a site to watch some tape of Moye Id like to check it out. By the very limited amout Ive seen him he seems that he really needs to add a little bulk and strength.

I'll see what I can find. I definitely agree he needs to put on a little more size. The strength and conditioning coaches could work with him and help him get up to around 225-230...I think that'd probably be enough to increase his strength without losing too much, if any top speed. :)

AOL'S mock has Kirkpatrick coming to us, but if we can stockpile some picks from the top 5 pick we all seem to expect, we could drop a few spots and still get Barron and/or some other 1st round talent.

That is.....an interesting mock draft. lol Brandon Boykin in the first round? I don't even think he's a starting CB with Georgia, I only saw him on Nickel packages. If he had anyone but Oakland making the pick I would call complete nonsense but since it was Oakland....yeah I could see it. lol

They did give up a lot to get Julio Jones. But Cleveland won't do that for Andrew Luck. They have their QB of the future in Colt McCoy. They need weapons around him, not a replacement or back up QB.

The OP's entire scenario hinges on us hijacking Cleveland's 1st round picks, after all. I don't see them giving up anything to get another QB.

They did give up a lot to get Julio Jones. But Cleveland won't do that for Andrew Luck. They have their QB of the future in Colt McCoy. They need weapons around him, not a replacement or back up QB.

The OP's entire scenario hinges on us hijacking Cleveland's 1st round picks, after all. I don't see them giving up anything to get another QB.

True, but I do think they might at least consider moving up for an Alshon Jeffrey or Juston Blackmon to give McCoy an elite target go-to target. :)

I agree I think something more like this will happen. Colts get first pick, Seahawks or dolphins trade up for number 1 giving us a top 4 pick this year, 2nd rounder this year, next year 1st and lower picks. Then maybe cleveland trades up for our top 4 pick, to get blackmond giving us two first this year and a 2nd. I dont see the browns trading up for the number 1pick.