Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospect Review: Boise St Vs. Tulsa

Yeah I wasn't paying attention to anyone on Tulsa. I was primarily watching to get a look at Kellen Moore, QB, 6'0" 195 lbs. I can see why a lot of people really like him. Great arm strength, stands tall in the pocket, good pocket presence and ability to slide around to avoid pressure, stands tall against a blitz and still throws a strong, accurate pass.

The biggest questions are of course going to be regarding his height. He is definitely shorter than you'd like to have in your QB, but at the same time....Drew Brees has been pretty good. :)

Another question that might come up and I'm curious what other people might say about this, but could the fact that he's a lefty affect a team's decision to pick him up? Obviously if you feel like you have elite tackles on both sides of the line then it probably wouldn't. However, if you've intentionally gone out to find that elite LT and your RT is not at the same level then what do you do? Swap the 2 tackles and hope they can play equally well on the other side? Keep the guys where they are and hope the RT improves? Look for an elite RT to replace the existing RT? I don't know that this would really become much of an issue, but at the same time I don't think it could be completely ignored either.

If it comes to a point in the draft when the Colts decide they are using that pick on a QB, if both Nick Foles or Kellen Moore area available (both are projected at that late 1st, early 2nd round area) then I'd take Foles. With Foles we don't have the questions regarding Moore's height or left handedness. However, if Moore was the best QB left then I'd certainly have no problem picking him up and seeing what he can do.

**For the record, there are a few QB's who could be in that late 1st to early 2nd round area. Aside from Moore and Foles there is also Kirk Cousins and Robert Griffin. I've been less than impressed with Cousins and I haven't had the chance to see Griffin play yet.

Yeah I wasn't paying attention to anyone on Tulsa. I was primarily watching to get a look at Kellen Moore, QB, 6'0" 195 lbs. I can see why a lot of people really like him. Great arm strength, stands tall in the pocket, good pocket presence and ability to slide around to avoid pressure, stands tall against a blitz and still throws a strong, accurate pass.

The biggest questions are of course going to be regarding his height. He is definitely shorter than you'd like to have in your QB, but at the same time....Drew Brees has been pretty good. :)

Another question that might come up and I'm curious what other people might say about this, but could the fact that he's a lefty affect a team's decision to pick him up? Obviously if you feel like you have elite tackles on both sides of the line then it probably wouldn't. However, if you've intentionally gone out to find that elite LT and your RT is not at the same level then what do you do? Swap the 2 tackles and hope they can play equally well on the other side? Keep the guys where they are and hope the RT improves? Look for an elite RT to replace the existing RT? I don't know that this would really become much of an issue, but at the same time I don't think it could be completely ignored either.

If it comes to a point in the draft when the Colts decide they are using that pick on a QB, if both Nick Foles or Kellen Moore area available (both are projected at that late 1st, early 2nd round area) then I'd take Foles. With Foles we don't have the questions regarding Moore's height or left handedness. However, if Moore was the best QB left then I'd certainly have no problem picking him up and seeing what he can do.

**For the record, there are a few QB's who could be in that late 1st to early 2nd round area. Aside from Moore and Foles there is also Kirk Cousins and Robert Griffin. I've been less than impressed with Cousins and I haven't had the chance to see Griffin play yet.

I would have to disagree with you on Moore's arm strength. Been one of the major knocks on him thru out his career(besides his height). He is essentially the left handed version of Chad Pennington. I think Moore can have a nice career in the NFL but he would be better suited for a very well balanced team. He will be the epitomy of a game manager in the NFL. I don't think the fact that he's left handed will have any effect on where he gets drafted.

I would have to disagree with you on Moore's arm strength. Been one of the major knocks on him thru out his career(besides his height). He is essentially the left handed version of Chad Pennington. I think Moore can have a nice career in the NFL but he would be better suited for a very well balanced team. He will be the epitomy of a game manager in the NFL. I don't think the fact that he's left handed will have any effect on where he gets drafted.

Let me clarify on his arm strength....I don't recall seeing him try to throw over, say 30 yards or so and the lack of arm strength could very well be why. I do think he had more zip on his short and intermediate passes than Pennington did so I would say he has a stronger arm than Chad, but maybe not by much. That's what I was going by though when I said that in the original post, that he was able to zip the ball in on shorter and intermediate throws. If he can't throw the long ball then that too will definitely affect his draft stock.

Let me clarify on his arm strength....I don't recall seeing him try to throw over, say 30 yards or so and the lack of arm strength could very well be why. I do think he had more zip on his short and intermediate passes than Pennington did so I would say he has a stronger arm than Chad, but maybe not by much. That's what I was going by though when I said that in the original post, that he was able to zip the ball in on shorter and intermediate throws. If he can't throw the long ball then that too will definitely affect his draft stock.

Before Pennington started having so many shoulder problems he had a decent arm, never a strong arm, but decent. I think Moore is in the same boat. Personally, I wouldn't draft Moore before the 4th rd. I just don't think he will ever be considered a "franchise QB" and TBH I think we would have to change pretty much everthing about our team if we planned on him taking over for Manning one day. That may very well have to happen for any QB we draft(with the exception of Luck IMO).