Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospect Reviews: Texas A&m Vs. Oklahoma St

The top prospects I was looking at were Oklahoma States QB Brandon Weeden 6'4" 218 lbs and WR Justin Blackmon 6'1" 215 lbs and for Texas A&M it was QB Ryan Tannehill 6'4" 222 lbs and WR Jeff Fuller 6'3" 200 lbs.

I wasn't sure what to expect from a WR turned QB in Tannehill. He was actually more of a pocket passer than I expected but he has very good athleticism. He ran a QB draw 65 yards for a TD. He has good pocket presence most of the time and is able to side step pressure very well. He's always looking downfield so he'll be ready to make the throw when a receiver comes open. He's definitely looking to throw the ball as opposed to scrambling. However he did show really good accuracy when he did scramble and had to throw on the run.

Brandon Weeden is much more of a straight up pocket passer. He had fairly good pocket presence and could also side step pressure but he's not going to make any big plays scrambling.

Something I'd forgotten about with Weeden is that he'll be quite a bit older than rookies normally are. He'll be 28 at the start of his rookie year so for this reason I don't think he's a QB we even consider.

Both QB's held on to the ball a little too long on a few plays which led to sacks, but Weeden did this more than Tannehill. Both QB's showed pretty good accuracy though if I had to give an advantage to one over the other it'd be to Tannehill.

Ryan Tannehill did throw one Int but the replay showed this happened because WR Jeff Fuller lost his footing at the top of his route. Had this not happened, Fuller would have been in position to make the catch, but at worst it would have been an incomplete pass.

As for the WR's, both made some great catches and ran some great routes, but both also dropped at least 1 easy catch. I see what someone else said about Blackmon being a bit of a prima donna...when the ball didn't come his way on plays where he thought it should have he threw a bit of a tantrum. He was able to make several good plays but then he had a sure TD and simply lost control of the ball and fumbled it out of bounds which wound up in a touchback and the ball went to Texas A&M.

Overall I'd take Fuller over Blackmon. I also think Tannehill could be a QB to wind up in the Colts' consideration.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Yeah, they were so deflated the next drive that they started driving right down the field again, which was sadly ended due to a flukey interception. Then they got so deflated after the rest of the unfortunate events, they drove right down the field and scored thus tying the game. And once TB answered back to take the lead, the, oh, so deflated Kick returner, Rodgers,  almost took it to the house.     Momentum, when talked about and treated as something true and tangible— the way you did— is silly. 
    • Actually a good thread.   I feel better about this offense than I did with Luck.  Luck was amazing but I never really felt comfortable.  Wentz I feel comfortable with when he isn't panicking and playing "hero ball," and having JT/Pittman (and even TY while healthy) means we can stay in any game from an offense standpoint.   I think we're a few pieces on defense, and another year of experience for our young pass rushers, away from making a playoff run.  IF we can get another good CB and healthy safeties (or an upgrade) I feel we'll be in a much better place.  Not having the 1st round pick will suck but Wentz at this point is worth it, there's only a handful of QB's I'd rather have right now, and they'd go for way more draft capital than Wentz did.
    • To not draw conclusions that weren’t there to be drawn, but it’s ok, I understand how it could happen on here.   Being critical of his gross neglect of the running game in the 3rd quarter, his questionable play calling, and his in game decision making didn’t mean I want him gone. This isn’t the first time we’ve this from us teams. It’s kind of a pattern now, no?   I thought his 2nd quarter was brilliant and have said so. The concepts he was incorporating had the D guessing, they were almost unstoppable.  It’s why I just cannot fathom abandoning it in the 3rd quarter.    I also cannot understand how he can sit up there and say he thought the team executed well in the 3rd quarter and then admit to not being able to beat playoff teams, admit to the costly turnovers, etc.    I also chuckled at a comment in his presser today, at the end. He says in the 4th quarter, on the scoring drive….they were showing a stacked box and then bailing out…that’s why the runs worked (even admitted JT and the line just made some good plays when they didn’t bail out to play pass) but how did they get to a run play if they were showing a stacked box? They were showing stacked boxes in the 3rd quarter and not 1 run. The results of the plays in the game speak for themselves, he can say whatever he wants.   overall I like Frank the head coach. Frank the play caller leaves a lot to be desired though, IMO.  Also, it’s amusing how folks on here cling to clips of presser or things he says that fit their narrative, but then use lines like I guess we should have scored 45….Frank admitted he knew going in it would take mid-high 30’s. He admitted he was already considering abandoning the run before the game started. I don’t know how the 1st quarter could have been any indication one way or the other of how the O was going to be…the pass was just as bad, which he also admitted. But he wa willing to give it time, just not the MVP candidate.   The fact he felt compelled to break it down today, although I do appreciate it, makes me think he was taking heat on it internally. I believe he was looking for a reason to pass more and as soon as they shut the run down on the opening series his mind was made up.   I’ll end with this, he more less said that Todd Bowls is better at his job than he is at his. D’s just get so creative with their run blitzes he doesn’t know how to counter it….good gravy. Since when it is a bad thing to have a stud player that D’s scheme against. Very concerning comments from our head coach and play caller, again just my opinion.  
    • Not since the Manning and Luck days have I felt like we have had an offense that can go toe-to-toe with the best even if we have fallen short at times. Looking at the overall picture, the future is definitely bright on the offensive side. NFL teams don't stagnate, they constantly evolve and hopefully we can evolve with a few key pieces on offense and defense that will keep us knocking on the SB contender door. Right now, we are a division contender at best based on the talent level.    The Wentz trade, not many franchise QBs (till Mac Jones came around) have been obtained around the mid-teens, which would be the worst of where we could possibly pick, IMO. Heck of a trade overall for the Colts for stability for a decade, hopefully. Keep him protected and he will last, Wentz that is.    
    • I don't think we run the table but because of our schedule I do see 10-7. Here are remaining games: Texans = win IMO Vs Pats = that is the big one at Cards = loss vs Raiders = win at Jags = win Can we beat the Pats at LOS is the key?
  • Members

• Chrisaaron1023

Chrisaaron1023 2,349

• MPStack

MPStack 4,622

• erock

erock 1

• RollerColt

RollerColt 3,403

• danlhart87

danlhart87 9,718

• J@son