Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian has Eddie Lacy in his top 10...

The more I watch him and see the rare combination of size, speed, and quickness the more I hope we take him if not Margus Hunt.....I like Ballard and think he is solid, but he doesn't strike fear in opponents the way a true elite back does and I think Lacy will...We haven't had a true elite back since Edgerrin James before the ACL tear, and it will only open things up for Luck in the passing game even more.

The more I watch him and see the rare combination of size, speed, and quickness the more I hope we take him if not Margus Hunt.....I like Ballard and think he is solid, but he doesn't strike fear in opponents the way a true elite back does and I think Lacy will...We haven't had a true elite back since Edgerrin James before the ACL tear, and it will only open things up for Luck in the passing game even more.

Was Polian's comment something he said on the air?    On televised ESPN?

Because I've looked at ESPN.com and I don't see that anywhere....

Thanks, I'm curious and would love to hear/read his comments.....

I

who cares about elite backs? 

seriously running backs are really overrated you dont need a superstar back to get it done we are fine with ballard and brown. 

end of story and im sure grigson probably agrees. 

I think you may be overstating.

The recent Super Bowl champs have an elite back, and a pretty good back up. San Fran's Frank gore was no slouch. Our offence could use a consistent force at the RB position. I like Ballard he has promise but, I'm not sure he's going to be elite.

I'm just saying, leave a little room for the idea

Brown might as well be blind, he may have speed but he could have a twenty foot wide hole and he'll run right into the group of players instead he is terrible.....If we had an elite back then you would care...lol, ask Viking fans how much an elite back can do??? Or ask John Elway how much having Terrell Davis helped him??? Or ask Troy Aikman about Emmit Smith...Or Kurt Warner about Marshall Faulk....etc, etc etc...

Was Polian's comment something he said on the air?    On televised ESPN?

Because I've looked at ESPN.com and I don't see that anywhere....

Thanks, I'm curious and would love to hear/read his comments.....

It was mentioned on NFL 32 today...

Brown might as well be blind, he may have speed but he could have a twenty foot wide hole and he'll run right into the group of players instead he is terrible.....If we had an elite back then you would care...lol, ask Viking fans how much an elite back can do??? Or ask John Elway how much having Terrell Davis helped him??? Or ask Troy Aikman about Emmit Smith...Or Kurt Warner about Marshall Faulk....etc, etc etc...

It wasn't Terrell Davis, it was Denver's offensive line. When Davis went down they replaced him some ex marine and he tore it up. Emmit Smith ran behind maybe the best Oline in history.

I can understand the concept of an elite RB making a huge impact....I just don't see Lacy as elite.

The O-line at Bama absolutely blew people up.

Heck, I'm not sure whether that mark on Manti Te'o's arm is a tattoo or Chance Warmack's footprints.

It's all about OL. There's a reason Arian Foster, Ray Rice, Marshawn Lynch, Terell Davis, Emmitt Smith, Frank Gore, AP, Steven Ridley, etc. all run/ran behind elite run blocking OL and are considered elite...

Focus on OL and use mid-late round picks on RBs, then use them until their rookie contract is done. Rinse and repeat.

Look at the Saints. They seem to be great at drafting RBs in the late rounds, but their first rounders at RB seem to bust a lot... Mark Ingram, a first round pick because of the Bama OL he ran behind, behind an elite OL and one of the most prolific passing attacks ever averaged just 3.9 ypc and had 600 yards. Behind a flat out awful run blocking OL, Vick Ballard, a 5th rounder, had 800+ yards and 3.9 ypc. Value.

It's all about OL. There's a reason Arian Foster, Ray Rice, Marshawn Lynch, Terell Davis, Emmitt Smith, Frank Gore, AP, Steven Ridley, etc. all run/ran behind elite run blocking OL and are considered elite...

Focus on OL and use mid-late round picks on RBs, then use them until their rookie contract is done. Rinse and repeat.

Look at the Saints. They seem to be great at drafting RBs in the late rounds, but their first rounders at RB seem to bust a lot... Mark Ingram, a first round pick because of the Bama OL he ran behind, behind an elite OL and one of the most prolific passing attacks ever averaged just 3.9 ypc and had 600 yards. Behind a flat out awful run blocking OL, Vick Ballard, a 5th rounder, had 800+ yards and 3.9 ypc. Value.

I would prefer Margus hunt or Deonte Jones, but I am not against Lacy at all you need more than 1 good back and we are in a position to go Best Player Available now, centers and Guards can be found in the later rounds...I personally hope we go DE in the first and pick up Matheiu or Gillislee in the 3rd....

Man I'm glad he isn't our GM anymore. Since Lacy won't be going in the first, Polian would probably use our pick on him. He loves using first round picks on an obsolete position.

obsolete? that's pushing it. The running back position is very important. You have no football knowledge if you think otherwise. Now Lacy in the top 10 is absurd though and I'd be * if we even got him at 24. 

obsolete? that's pushing it. The running back position is very important. You have no football knowledge if you think otherwise. Now Lacy in the top 10 is absurd though and I'd be ticked if we even got him at 24. 

I was kidding....sorta. It's not obsolete, but it has been rendered a 'dime a dozen' position. Alfred Morris was drafted in the 6th round last year and he ran for 1,600 yards. Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson are about the only backs I'd be willing to spend a first rounder on.

So your saying we had a great lines when Edgerrin ran for 1500+yds multiple seasons????NOT EVEN CLOSE TO GREAT LINES.. The issue here is most of the truly great backs get stuck on the worst teams with terrible QB's, very rarely does an elite RB get matched with an elite QB. The two work hand and hand fear of the QB opens running lanes, fear of the run opens the passing game.  When it happens it's a perfect formula...Warner-Faulk, Watters-Young, Smith-Aikman, Manning-James,Favre-Peterson, Montana-Craig, Elway-Davis, Jim Kelly-Thomas, Griese-Csonka, Staubach-Dorsett, Rivers-Tomlinson........Notice a pattern here???? WINNING...

So your saying we had a great lines when Edgerrin ran for 1500+yds multiple seasons????NOT EVEN CLOSE TO GREAT LINES.. The issue here is most of the truly great backs get stuck on the worst teams with terrible QB's, very rarely does an elite RB get matched with an elite QB. The two work hand and hand fear of the QB opens running lanes, fear of the run opens the passing game.  When it happens it's a perfect formula...Warner-Faulk, Watters-Young, Smith-Aikman, Manning-James,Favre-Peterson, Montana-Craig, Elway-Davis, Jim Kelly-Thomas, Griese-Csonka, Staubach-Dorsett, Rivers-Tomlinson........Notice a pattern here???? WINNING...

Umm yeah our lines were pretty good. Definetely above average.

I can understand the concept of an elite RB making a huge impact....I just don't see Lacy as elite.

The O-line at Bama absolutely blew people up.

Heck, I'm not sure whether that mark on Manti Te'o's arm is a tattoo or Chance Warmack's footprints.

I think lacy could be elite, but it's not a sure thing like Peterson or McFadden...I like Lacy a lot better than Ingram or even Richardson based on the eye test he has exceptional agility for a man of his size....Linebackers and safeties would not be looking forward to playing against him for sure...

they were good pass-blocking lines, but not run-blocking , Edgerrin willed an extra few yards on his own a lot of times...

They were pretty good at both. No running back rushes for that many yards behind a bad o-line unless you're Barry Sanders.

I am not saying this for the Stanford connection but Stepfan Taylor, RB, 5'9", 214 lbs from Stanford is a good between the tackles runner that is probably one of the best pass blockers amongst RBs in this draft.

I firmly believe he will be there in round 3 for us to pick up should we choose to go that direction. Ballard and Brown are adequate pass protectors and we all know the value of an RB who picks up blitzes well (from the Edge/Addai days) and it would be great if we can get one that can do that real well.

This profile describes him well: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/stepfan-taylor?id=2539315

As the bottomline states: The Cardinals running back proved this season that he was capable of maintaining his level of play even without Andrew Luck at QB. While he isn't exceptional in any one facet of the game, he is technically sound, and well rounded. Taylor is possibly the safest back in this class due to his ability to not only pass protect, but to catch the football, which will make him invaluable on third downs.      

I am not saying this for the Stanford connection but Stepfan Taylor, RB, 5'9", 214 lbs from Stanford is a good between the tackles runner that is probably one of the best pass blockers amongst RBs in this draft.

I firmly believe he will be there in round 3 for us to pick up should we choose to go that direction. Ballard and Brown are adequate pass protectors and we all know the value of an RB who picks up blitzes well (from the Edge/Addai days) and it would be great if we can get one that can do that real well.

Not to mention that he's solid catching passes out of the backfield as well. If we were to take a running back, he would definetely be my choice.

With a stronger OL, who is to say Ballard will NOT put the fear into opponents.  He did darned well last year.

Brown coming back....and I would love to see what all 238 pounds of Delone Carter can do behind a line....I hope he gets a chance again.  People forget just how good this kid was coming out of college.  He never fumbled in college...and is now a 'fumbler.'

As to Hunt...he is a monster without a true position...the man played what Pee Wee football calls Roam.  At SMU, they lined him up everywhere to take advantage of the weakest links....can you do that in the NFL?  My answer is NO....has he played DE or DT enough to have the skill?  No...but his athleticism is freakish :)   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:

This profile describes him well: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/stepfan-taylor?id=2539315

As the bottomline states: The Cardinals running back proved this season that he was capable of maintaining his level of play even without Andrew Luck at QB. While he isn't exceptional in any one facet of the game, he is technically sound, and well rounded. Taylor is possibly the safest back in this class due to his ability to not only pass protect, but to catch the football, which will make him invaluable on third downs.      

The only back I would take in the draft.....with our selections as the are  :thmup:

I would be happy with Gillislee or Montae Ball as well....We need another back, I wish we could just cut bait with brown and trade for a pick , but I doubt anyone would give up anything for him...He has no vision or power at all, he falls down if you breath on him too hard...DE is our biggest need right now so we should go DE in first because it's a lot harder to find quality DE's in later rounds..

With a stronger OL, who is to say Ballard will NOT put the fear into opponents.  He did darned well last year.

Brown coming back....and I would love to see what all 238 pounds of Delone Carter can do behind a line....I hope he gets a chance again.  People forget just how good this kid was coming out of college.  He never fumbled in college...and is now a 'fumbler.'

As to Hunt...he is a monster without a true position...the man played what Pee Wee football calls Roam.  At SMU, the lined him up everywhere to take advantage of the weakest links....can you do that in the NFL?  My answer is NO....has he played DE or DT enough to have the skill?  No...but his athleticism is freakish :)   :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:

I think hunt could be a great DE, his height , speed, and strength just doesn't come around very often and I think he has the passion and hunger...He could be very disruptive and a possible "Gamewrecker if coached up and utilized properly....I want us to get him just so Belichick can't, I'm afraid of what Belichick could do with him....If we don't take him at 24 he won't get past the Pats at 26..

I think hunt could be a great DE, his height , speed, and strength just doesn't come around very often and I think he has the passion and hunger...He could be very disruptive and a possible "Gamewrecker if coached up and utilized properly....I want us to get him just so Belichick can't, I'm afraid of what Belichick could do with him....If we don't take him at 24 he won't get past the Pats at 26..

Before this year no one thought the read option could work in the NFL....It's not the scheme, it's having the player that can execute the scheme, so I actually like the idea of Hunt playing ROAM and moving around wreaking havoc....

Nothing worse than a fear of the dreaded BB  :)

I like Hunt....I think he really needs to be coached up to get to the level he needs to be.  If we 'were' t take him, I am confident our staff could do it.  Look what the did with the guys off of the street last ear...Heard...Geathers...Guy.  We have some of the best 'teachers' in the business.

Before this year no one thought the read option could work in the NFL....It's not the scheme, it's having the player that can execute the scheme, so I actually like the idea of Hunt playing ROAM and moving around wreaking havoc....

Not going to get me started on the Read....offense....I end up compared with Gregg Williams way too much :)

Funny thought...who needs to build a monster if you get Hunt or Jesse Williams....the monster already exists.

I just do not think we will draft Hunt.......

I was kidding....sorta. It's not obsolete, but it has been rendered a 'dime a dozen' position. Alfred Morris was drafted in the 6th round last year and he ran for 1,600 yards. Barry Sanders and Adrian Peterson are about the only backs I'd be willing to spend a first rounder on.

Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, Jim Brown, OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson????

As much as I love Stepfan,  I don't want to take him in the 3rd, and I'd prefer not the 4th....

But if any trades happen,  I'd love to get him in the 5th.     I don't see him as anything more than quality depth,  and so I want to use any pick in rounds 1-4 to draft someone who we hope someday is a starter.     We can get quality depth in R's 5-7.

Just my view of things.....

I like him, but not in the 3rd

As much as I love Stepfan,  I don't want to take him in the 3rd, and I'd prefer not the 4th....

But if any trades happen,  I'd love to get him in the 5th.     I don't see him as anything more than quality depth,  and so I want to use any pick in rounds 1-4 to draft someone who we hope someday is a starter.     We can get quality depth in R's 5-7.

Just my view of things.....

Beat me to it

who cares about elite backs? 

seriously running backs are really overrated you dont need a superstar back to get it done we are fine with ballard and brown. 

end of story and im sure grigson probably agrees. 

tell that to Minnesota....

not that Lacey is the second coming of AP....