Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't understand the 1 year contract

bobourret

I think that players do take less on occasion, but it is not far less money.... except maybe a rare circumstance. I would guess it has most to do with playing time, opportunity, and home for your family. The idea some fans have that guys will do it out of loyalty or love of the game is absurd IMO.

I think another major factor is with younger vs older players. You will see vets take less to go to a better team while younger players take max many times to go play for a team with no foundation, chances of winning or anything other than a starting spot and more loot.

You would think some team would've offered Namdi much more than he got in SF, 1.35 million with a possible 1.65 in incentives.

This is the NFL version of a test drive. If the Colts like him they can reward him with a long term deal after the season if they don't they let him walk without having to release him and take a cap hit. It benefits the player in that if he has a good year he can get more money than he got on the market this year.

Are there examples of a player taking less money to sign with a specific team. Sure. But do you think that it's the exception or the rule? The fact of the matter is players, infinitely more times than not, chase the money. Don't blame them a bit.

So to answer your question - yes, I get it. I always get it.

Of course it's the exception to the rule...I never said that it wasn't..  I also never said as a fact that DHB chose the Colts for one reason or another.  That was you, remember?  

Dude - if the Lions had offered $500K more, or very likely $50K more, he would have "chosen" Stafford.  Do you get it?

Of course it's the exception to the rule...I never said that it wasn't..  I also never said as a fact that DHB chose the Colts for one reason or another.  That was you, remember?  

Then I am not sure the point you are making. 

I'm less than surprised

Please elaborate.  The point I made is that DHB followed his "heart", which is a euphemistic way of saying his wallet to the Colts.  You chime in with money is not always the deciding factor and then admit that line of thinking the exception and not the rule - which basically means you agree with point - does it not?

Well we obviously know if you were a player you would be running to the crappiest team possible if they offered the most coin haha.

I wouldn't, especially if I was a veteran and loaded already. I would weigh options and probabaly go to the best team that gave me the best chance of winning, that wanted me. My agent would probabaly push them for the most coin however.

To each his own.

Regardless of the case we cannot speak for other players. Who knows what DHB thought, it's not like he's making much $ anyways.

In the NBA particularly, players will take less $ to go party on a team with buddies and play in a big market. Happens ALL the time! haha

If you were a guy like DHB who is still young in the game and had a chance to go to a team capable of winning it all with an offer of $500K vs. a young team percieved to be a ways from contending but with an offer of $3million, you would absolutely go with cash.  You can tell me otherwise, but I would believe your protests to be disingenuous.

If you were a guy like DHB who is still young in the game and had a chance to go to a team capable of winning it all with an offer of $500K vs. a young team percieved to be a ways from contending but with an offer of $3million, you would absolutely go with cash. You can tell me otherwise, but I would believe your protests to be disingenuous.

If that was the case I would def take the $. I have no idea what Det offered DHB though. I also think it does vary in terms of aged vets vs younger players.

In your example, yep if I was younger I would take the $. That would be a pretty substantial diff however.

If that was the case I would def take the $. I have no idea what Det offered DHB though. I also think it does vary in terms of aged vets vs younger players.

In your example, yep if I was younger I would take the $. That would be a pretty substantial diff however.

Of course the age of the player makes all the difference.  A young guy like DHB is not yet in ring chasing mode and is trying to maximize his income. 

My example is too extreme but the point stands.

He has chosen the better team...with the greater upside...and a the better scheme, QB, OC, HC, Owner...and fans!!!!

Actually, Detroit has great upside too and there QB is rated much higher than our QB. The argument and HC, Owner and fans has some merit but I would bet that $ made the difference in bringing him to Indy.....  :dancing:

Actually, Detroit has great upside too and there QB is rated much higher than our QB. The argument and HC, Owner and fans has some merit but I would bet that $ made the difference in bringing him to Indy.....  :dancing:

I believe we were cheaper... This talk of Detroit is blasphemy.  You should leave at your earliest convenience, otherwise, I cannot vouch for your safety...lol. Go Horse. Also "their" Cheers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/02/dhb-follows-his-heart-to-indy/

1) I hate Florio.

2) DHB discusses why he chose Indy over Detroit.

"At the end, I just had to follow my heart and I just felt comfortable there,” Heyward-Bey told reporters during an introductory conference call.  “I just felt comfortable.  I mean my whole life I’ve followed my heart on decisions and I’ve made tough decisions in my life before.  So in this case I kind of did the same thing.  I took the information in front of me when it came to the Colts and other things and in the end my heart told me to take it.”

Heyward-Bey explained that the decision came down to the Colts and the Lions.  We’d heard the Jets were interested, but that Heyward-Bey wasn’t.

Moving forward, Heyward-Bey can still become a highly-productive player on a special team.  “Well if you just look at the roster, you have Andrew Luck, in my opinion the best young quarterback out there,” Heyward-Bey said.  “You’ve got a veteran in Reggie Wayne.  You have a former teammate in mine in Samson [satele] at the center.  They had some young guys make some plays out there so just being a part of something like that, I think it can be great.”

The continuity that comes from having Luck at quarterback could held Heyward-Bey reach his potential.  “You know that this guy is going to be your quarterback,” Heyward-Bey said.  “There’s no question about that.  In Oakland, there were times when we weren’t sure going into a week and we had to adjust on the fly.  Knowing that Andrew is going to be back there feels good.”

Based on the fact that Heyward-Bey had, as he rattled it off during the call, three coaches, four offensive coordinators, and seven starting quarterbacks, any player would benefit from having a more settled situation.

It's likely that this still all comes down to who offered more. But it's also possible that the Colts and Lions offered him the same money, and it really came down to where he wanted to be most.