Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I don't understand the 1 year contract

bobourret

I think DHB has a ton of upside, so why sigh him to a 1 year deal. If he has a great year then we will have to fork out big money to keep him.

If we were to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and he doesn't pan out then we cut him.

I know Grigson is smarter then me, what am I missing?

You're not missing anything. It's exactly what you said. Sign him to 1 year so if he does suck, we don't have a big cap hit. If he works out & wants big money...... doubt we give it to him cause we gotta pay Vontae this year. He claims his heart (DHB) is what brought him here so I don't expect him to ask for big money

I think it's in the best interest for DHB to sign 1 yr deal. If he's good, he gets paid. If not, he will get similar next year. Same as what Avery did. And Talib is doing. He probably wouldn't sign for this type of money for 3-4 years, and I don't blame him.

Nice job explaining it to THEM.

I think it's in the best interest for DHB to sign 1 yr deal. If he's good, he gets paid. If not, he will get similar next year. Same as what Avery did. And Talib is doing. He probably wouldn't sign for this type of money for 3-4 years, and I don't blame him.

Its in the best interest of the team as well -   A win win

He claims his heart (DHB) is what brought him here so I don't expect him to ask for big money

+ winning which is something he's not too familiar with. That may help him stick around even if he does have a breakout year. Assuming the Colts do win that is, lol. I'm sure he would be thrilled to make the playoffs.

Its in the best interest of the team as well -   A win win

Not really, they could have structured a 3 year deal and front-loaded it so they can cut him if he doesn't perform whilst having minimum cap hit. Now if he performs he gets paid.

I think the 1-year deal was definitely DHBs intention.

You're not missing anything. It's exactly what you said. Sign him to 1 year so if he does suck, we don't have a big cap hit. If he works out & wants big money...... doubt we give it to him cause we gotta pay Vontae this year. He claims his heart (DHB) is what brought him here so I don't expect him to ask for big money

It was not his heart that brought him to Indy but the size of the offer he got.  If offered a larger, longer term deal elsewhere, that is where his heart would have taken him.  And if he does have a big year, it is naive to think he & his agent won't ask for big coin.

Not really, they could have structured a 3 year deal and front-loaded it so they can cut him if he doesn't perform whilst having minimum cap hit. Now if he performs he gets paid.

I think the 1-year deal was definitely DHBs intention.

That being said I think that is a good thing... it proves he is confident and believe he will perform this year for us.

It was not his heart that brought him to Indy but the size of the offer he got.  If offered a larger, longer term deal elsewhere, that is where his heart would have taken him.  And if he does have a big year, it is naive to think he & his agent won't ask for big coin.

Agreed, his heart has nothing to do with it, that is typical talk you feed the media. He was talking up the Lions before he signed with us.

+ winning which is something he's not too familiar with. That may help him stick around even if he does have a breakout year. Assuming the Colts do win that is, lol. I'm sure he would be thrilled to make the playoffs.

"Assuming" we Win? Come on, we're the Indianapolis Colts man haha

:colts:

It was not his heart that brought him to Indy but the size of the offer he got. If offered a larger, longer term deal elsewhere, that is where his heart would have taken him. And if he does have a big year, it is naive to think he & his agent won't ask for big coin.

I think DET offered more than we did

I think DHB has a ton of upside, so why sigh him to a 1 year deal. If he has a great year then we will have to fork out big money to keep him.

If we were to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and he doesn't pan out then we cut him.

Just my opinion but, the agent for DHB is smart enough to know that he could flourish in our offense and land a big payday in 2014. DHB was looking for a 1 year deal on a team with an elite quarterback, and that is why he signed with us. Grigson is smart enough to know that if we underpaid DHB on a long term deal then he would likely have a holdout situation. If we overpaid then we lose too. A 1 year deal is fair for both sides in this situation.

I think DET offered more than we did

I would be shocked to find that to be true.  But what it does mean that if all things were equal/comparable then he made a decision to play with Luck.  But if the Lions offer was substantially higher, then that is absolutely where his heart would have been.

I would be shocked to find that to be true. But what it does mean that if all things were equal/comparable then he made a decision to play with Luck. But if the Lions offer was substantially higher, then that is absolutely where his heart would have been.

I believe someone posted his comments & he did in fact choose Luck

I think DHB has a ton of upside, so why sigh him to a 1 year deal. If he has a great year then we will have to fork out big money to keep him.If we were to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal and he doesn't pan out then we cut him.I know Grigson is smarter then me, what am I missing?

The other guy that signs the contract, he probably wanted too much guaranteed on a longer contract so they met in the middle.

Chances of him having a "great" year are slim IMO.  Depending on how we use the TEs, he should be anywhere from option #3 - #5.  And who knows what you will get from Brazill and Whalen.  Even playing effectively in this offense, it's more likely he puts up numbers similar to his Oakland numbers.  And if he's a good, solid player,  you may want to re-sign him to a reasonable contract. Or, he may be a one year rental, allowing Brazill and Whalen to get another year of experience.  

We don't really know that he has a ton of upside. All we really know is he is big and fast. But to be a great receiver, you have to be able to actually catch the ball. Some guys just lack the necessary hand-eye coordination, and will never have it. How many third downs did the Colts fail to convert down through the years because receivers dropped catchable balls? Remember Jerome Pathon? Cadre Ismail? Donnie Avery? You get the idea.

I'd take a guy like Austin Collie (sans concussions), with sufficient speed and great hands over a speedster with questionable hands any day.

Rite of passage...then you get a 3-5 year.  Prove yourself DHB...

The :lombardi: goes to FalseStart for this contribution. If DHB can get up after being tackled, without fail, everytime he catches a ball, or runs a route, for all 16 games, he will have convinced Ryan Grigson that he deserves a bigger, and longer contract. All he needs to do is reproduce what Donnie Avery did, with fewer drops, more big play touchdowns, and he'll get what his talent says he deserves. Avery: 60recs, 781yrds, 3TD's....If he does 50-800-8, he'll be back for 3 more years.

As the allocation of catches spreads around the team... a one year contract will allow DHB to prove himself w/o over exposing any one receiver to an increased amount of hits...  My guess we will not have a 100 catch receiver next year including playoffs...

Reggie = 90/900 7 TD

Ty= 60/700 8TD

DHB= 70/800 6 TD

Allen= 60/600 6 TD

Fleener= 40/500 4 TD

Other=80/800 8 TD

~400 receptions for ~4300 Yards ~39 TDs 9 ints

~23 completions per game...

It is pretty simple really.  We do not know what we are going to get from the guy.  His production in Oakland is not indicative of a long term solution as a number WR on this team.  So why sign him up to a three to four year deal and be stuck with a guy who is not producing like we want him to?  That is how dumb teams like the Browns or Raiders get stuck with guys and kill their cap.

With a one year contract we can easily walk away next year if he does not pan out.  Yes, there is a chance that he tears it up and he will be more expensive next year, but that is a chance that you rather take.  Better to lose him next season after a productive year than to be stuck with him for three to four years with lackluster production.

I think DHB thinks he'll have a great year and will take it to the bank next year with a big fat multi-year deal.  IMO, he couldn't get as good a multi-year deal as he wanted now, so he's gambling on the one year contract hoping to prove himself.  I think Grigs is not sure how good DHB is, hence the one year contract.  If DHB has that great year, Grigs will have to pay through the nose to keep him, and no, DHB will not sign for less money with the Colt because his heart is here.  That's us fans thinking with our hearts.

QB's are like that great Jacket in your closet that looks great after 10 years and you know you'll wear it till your wife makes you get rid of it, a good OLineman or Dlineman is like the pair of pants that fit perfect and you want to wear it as long as possible if it continues to perform you'll keep it, the punter is like a really nice sweater, it's seasonal and you don't wear it that often so it tends to last quite a while, but RB's are the socks and underwear of the NFL, it's best to change them as often as possible cause they don't last that long and you don't want to be caught wearing ones that will embarrass you if you're in an accident.

QB's are like that great Jacket in your closet that looks great after 10 years and you know you'll wear it till your wife makes you get rid of it, a good OLineman or Dlineman is like the pair of pants that fit perfect and you want to wear it as long as possible if it continues to perform you'll keep it, the punter is like a really nice sweater, it's seasonal and you don't wear it that often so it tends to last quite a while, but RB's are the socks and underwear of the NFL, it's best to change them as often as possible cause they don't last that long and you don't want to be caught wearing ones that will embarrass you if you're in an accident.

This is a really amazing post and an awesome way to look at different positions on the team, but what in the world does it have to do with DHB's one year contract????

LostLogo_.jpg

Dude - if the Lions had offered $500K more, or very likely $50K more, he would have "chosen" Stafford.  Do you get it?

Dude, money is not always the deciding factor for a player.  Louis Vazquez is a perfect, recent example.  I doubt there's a person on this board that doesn't believe he could have gotten more money that what Denver gave him had he chosen to sign with another team.  Now it's highly possible that Detroit did not offer him anymore than the colts did, but it's not entirely impossible to think that they may have offered him a little more money and he chose the Colts instead.  Do YOU get it?

This is a really amazing post and an awesome way to look at different positions on the team, but what in the world does it have to do with DHB's one year contract????

LostLogo_.jpg

I know that I must get new socks and underwear every other month and Ryan Grigson knows he needs new RB's every year.

Dude, money is not always the deciding factor for a player.  Louis Vazquez is a perfect, recent example.  I doubt there's a person on this board that doesn't believe he could have gotten more money that what Denver gave him had he chosen to sign with another team.  Now it's highly possible that Detroit did not offer him anymore than the colts did, but it's not entirely impossible to think that they may have offered him a little more money and he chose the Colts instead.  Do YOU get it?

Are there examples of a player taking less money to sign with a specific team. Sure. But do you think that it's the exception or the rule? The fact of the matter is players, infinitely more times than not, chase the money. Don't blame them a bit.

So to answer your question - yes, I get it. I always get it.

I would be shocked to find that to be true. But what it does mean that if all things were equal/comparable then he made a decision to play with Luck. But if the Lions offer was substantially higher, then that is absolutely where his heart would have been.

Yes substantially higher perhaps, however with comparable offers players weigh mutiple other options. David West is a great case and point, he joined a young small market in the Pacers with a shorter contract vs a larger contract in a massive market with the Celtics. With him it was primarily playing for an aging Boston in decline team vs an up and coming younger Pacers team.

More players than you think may not be in it strictly for the $.

The fact of the matter is players, infinitely more times than not, chase the money. Don't blame them a bit.

Well we obviously know if you were a player you would be running to the crappiest team possible if they offered the most coin haha.

I wouldn't, especially if I was a veteran and loaded already. I would weigh options and probabaly go to the best team that gave me the best chance of winning, that wanted me. My agent would probabaly push them for the most coin however.

To each his own.

Regardless of the case we cannot speak for other players. Who knows what DHB thought, it's not like he's making much $ anyways.

In the NBA particularly, players will take less $ to go party on a team with buddies and play in a big market. Happens ALL the time! haha

I think that players do take less on occasion, but it is not far less money.... except maybe a rare circumstance. I would guess it has most to do with playing time, opportunity, and home for your family. The idea some fans have that guys will do it out of loyalty or love of the game is absurd IMO.