133 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the Colts

• A(A+/A/A-)
    • B(B+/B/B-)
    • C(C+/C/C-)
    • D(D+/D/D-)
    • F

oh no. I like our new players just not at those prices

That's cool. I think some of the numbers are a little high, but I like the structure of most of them. And like I said, I think every signing improves the team moving forward, which is really what free agency is for.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not every marquee signing makes an impact

i agree 100% however just based on the signings not the field play (cause we haven't played a game) we haven't signed anyone that i felt really blew me away. we had some very good signings, but no one i am planning on buying a jersey of before preseason.... you know?

i agree 100% however just based on the signings not the field play (cause we haven't played a game) we haven't signed anyone that i felt really blew me away. we had some very good signings, but no one i am planning on buying a jersey of before preseason.... you know?

i understand

but just ask any Redskins fans how their marquee signings went

i understand

but just ask any Redskins fans how their marquee signings went

haha poor Redskins... if it makes a difference if we were only graded in our division i think we are A++; however compared to Denver i think we took a back seat. that's only cause most people would want a chance to play with # 18

A-.  It is so refreshing to have a GM who immediately acknowledges and addresses team deficiencies.  I am impressed at how many holes were filled.  This FA period has put us in a great position for the draft. I also like that the contracts are structured in such a way that if he is wrong, if things don't work out, then it will be easy for the team to move on.

In complete contrast to the Polian years.  Polian just flat-out refused to alter his outdated team building philosophy, to the detriment of the Colts. You would think that year after year of having the one of the worst defenses in  the league would have indicated that he might be wrong about how he built his squads. Nope.  Not in Polian's world.  Polian was never wrong. At least in his own mind.

Cherilus is worth every penny. He was a major cog in a O-line that was top 5 in the league the last 3 years. And no Francois wasn't a roster starter, but he played a major role in the 9ers D. They brought him in to take up 2 blocks and free up angerer and freeman. And Toler is a M2M CB that isn't afraid to hit someone. I don't see how they were over paid. I do however agree about Walden. That even stumped me. "In Grigson We Trust"

walden's contract. we made our new RT the highest paid RT in the league. toler got 5 mil a year for one year of production. francois got over 5 mil and barely started

I give it an A for several reasons.

They were active early (a loooooong time complaint of Colt fans)

They didn't chase big names (a promise of Grigson)

They addressed the entire breadth of team needs

They didn't strap us under the "cap bus"....heading off a cliff in a couple of years.

They didn't strap us under the "cap bus"....heading off a cliff in a couple of years.

agreed

I gave it a slightly lower B+ for those same reasons....especially the needs that were addressed.

Hopefully most of these wind up being solid upgrades.

A+ Did anyone of us know who Ryan Grigson even was before Jim Irsay made the announcement? I mean, from last years draft then going 11-5 with 36? new players, to this years F/A. Dudes, we keep forgetting that we are in only our second year and the thought of going for the Championship this year is not far fetched at all. Ive NEVER seen a team re-tool this fast and stay in the running the way the Colts are. This guy Grigson is putting together a solid team. How many teams can say this after gutting the roster and the front Office that produced the winningest decade in football history?! When the Iron Curtain rusted the Steelers spent years in oblivion. The 49ers are just now returning to greatness and the Cowboys are still trying to make it work with Tony Romo. I mean seriously, what do you think the Patriots would be without Billichek(?) ? I dont think grigs focuses on winning a superbowl as much as making sure the Colts integrity remains. If your a general manager, a Lombardi isnt the 'medal of honor', its not something that gets passed around from year to year, its being the General Manager that built and kept together the team that holds the record for the winningest decade. and though Bill got old and fizzled, he wears that medal all by himself.  A+ Grigson.  Keep us rolling.

I felt that we addressed positions that needed it, so I would give an A on identifying needs (which some GMs don't do well). However, to be honest, I feel we overpaid for a decent RT ($6.9MM/year) and could have had Long, a very good LT at $8.5MM). Yes he still gave up fewer sacks than Cherilus the last 2 years despite being injured, plus he plays LT and we could have moved Castonzo to RT (gave up a 18.5 the last 2 years which is very high).

Walden was an overpay, but is he plays as well as his best season in 2011 (69 tackles and 3 sacks) he will be nearly worth $4MM/yr.

Landry is solid and LF will be solid as will Toler.

Not bad, but Cherilus and Walden can make Griggs and Pags look like geniuses if they do play well.

I am a very tough grader, that being said, Griggson addressed vital areas of need. Being able to determine the main areas of need and addressing them is a feat in itself. However, I did feel we gave up too much to get Cherilus (gave up 14 sacks the last 2 years which is very average for RT) $6.9MM per year. And Walden as well. But looking at Walden's below average numbers, there was one season that stuck out, 2011, when he had 40 tackles and 19 assists with 3 sacks. I'm sure that's what the Colts management is banking on him having every year when they signed him for $4MM/yr. Landry is an upgrade and $6MM/yr isn't too bad. La Francios is a need and he didn't break the bank either. I like the late signing of Heyward-Bey with relatively small money. I give it a C+/B-. But I'm a tough grader. 

I am a very tough grader, that being said, Griggson addressed vital areas of need. Being able to determine the main areas of need and addressing them is a feat in itself. However, I did feel we gave up too much to get Cherilus (gave up 14 sacks the last 2 years which is very average for RT) $6.9MM per year. And Walden as well. But looking at Walden's below average numbers, there was one season that stuck out, 2011, when he had 40 tackles and 19 assists with 3 sacks. I'm sure that's what the Colts management is banking on him having every year when they signed him for $4MM/yr. Landry is an upgrade and $6MM/yr isn't too bad. La Francios is a need and he didn't break the bank either. I like the late signing of Heyward-Bey with relatively small money. I give it a C+/B-. But I'm a tough grader. 

It should also be noted that Matt Stafford passed the ball 1390 times over the past 2 seasons.

I think it's an A now after getting DHB. We are a very well rounded team with multiple threats that have to be given respect. No superstars like other teams, but dangerous nonetheless. Typically the most well rounded teams win, and I think we're definitely rounding out.

Here is my reasoning for an A- grade:

Every signing fills a specific that carried over from last year 

every signing has something to prove 

Free agent signings are just like the draft. Most of them are 50/50 propositions. Some will do well and some will no doubt fail and be expensive failures at that. Such is the down side of signing free agents..... :dancing:

So far just for F/A's I give a strong B+   I have to admit i wasnt happy @ first bcuz we didnt get the "Big Names" that I wanted us to get.

But we did Instead was get both Quality and Quantity we got twice as many impact players than I expected because we didnt have to pay the big name price for 4 or 5 players. And we stocked up big time on areas of need, the Heyward-Bey really put the stamp of success on the F/A signings. I cant wait for the draft!!