Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Canton residents get screwed

TubaGuy

As a former resident of Canton I am EXTREMELY upset that the HOF game has been cancelled. This community plans for the HOF week all year, and the HOF game is the final activity of the week. If you have ever been to Canton during HOF week you know just how big it is. The parade is one of the largest in the nation, and the activities following the induction ceremony lead up to the actual game. This means a tremendous financial hit to the city of Canton and is downright rotten. The owners and players knew the deadline they needed to reach to keep this game on the schedule and the blew it. Maybe to some this is "small potatoes" but I can assure you that to the people of Canton, it is not. People of Canton, I for one am sorry. The commissioner's "afterthought apology" was weak at best.

sounds like an awesome event and very important to the city.

However, the lockout cost a number of people their jobs........and entire businesses that were related to the NFL went under.

So Canton is not alone. Just perhaps the most visible.

It is a testament to the financial impact the NFL has.

When things are going well, everyone (well, most everyone) is happy.

Right now, I'm sure a number of training camp towns are breathing a huge sigh of relief

I wonder if anyone is planning a fan demonstration of disapproval at the HOF enshrinement festival? I'm a little peeved the way both parties are on track toward compromising the integrity of this year's season. I think that by now, whoever wins the Super Bowl, there will be a lockout caveat. For instance, if the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Packers win this year, it will be because of a "stable" front office. The NFL's fans are the best fans in pro sports, with maybe one exception to Formula 1 fans, and deserve better than this. I hope there is a nod to Canton in this agreement. If they can take a game to London or Mexico City during the regular season, they can do one in Canton to make up for this absolute screw job. I'd love to see the Colts play the Browns, Bengals or Steelers there!

I wonder if anyone is planning a fan demonstration of disapproval at the HOF enshrinement festival? I'm a little peeved the way both parties are on track toward compromising the integrity of this year's season. I think that by now, whoever wins the Super Bowl, there will be a lockout caveat. For instance, if the Colts, Patriots, Steelers, Packers win this year, it will be because of a "stable" front office. The NFL's fans are the best fans in pro sports, with maybe one exception to Formula 1 fans, and deserve better than this. I hope there is a nod to Canton in this agreement. If they can take a game to London or Mexico City during the regular season, they can do one in Canton to make up for this absolute screw job. I'd love to see the Colts play the Browns, Bengals or Steelers there!

There won't be any demonstration in Canton. The place that houses a shrine to NFL greats doesn't turn around & do that....because level heads there know evolution and growning pains happen over the years & what counts most is preserving the league as we know it moving into years ahead. That's what Canton embodies. Part of what it is to be family. Demonstration would be short sighted and reactionary. Canton will roll with it. Even if there are a few dissenting persons hanging out at the fringe of the crowd on enshrinement day they'll be a speck on the windshield during an otherwise awesome cause for celebration....most particularly this year. Sometimes collateral damage is caused by battle. Sorry, Canton Ohio. I think the league will find a way to make it up to the city because once again, it is the entity with decades long commitments that go well beyond what any player puts in/gives back & long after everyone playing the game today is retired and gone. Anyone placing blame on the league, solely, needs to look in the mirror the players hold to their face as well.

So on the main forum page, on the right-hand side where it says "Recent Topics Added," does anybody else find the listing that says "Canton residents get screwed by TubaGuy" to be hilarious?

Yea, I noticed that too and had a double take moment. lmao

So on the main forum page, on the right-hand side where it says "Recent Topics Added," does anybody else find the listing that says "Canton residents get screwed by TubaGuy" to be hilarious?

lol!! I hadn't noticed that! Um, I don't think it was ME that did it!!

I have been noticing this for some time. When "by" along with the OP's name is added to a thread title, it can be hilarious. rotfl

I also enjoyed this one: Contagious? Now Mathis and Family Expecting Twins by Bayone.

But, TubaGuy, you have won the prize :gift: for the best one yet. :applause:

hahaha lol

tubaguy.png

I have been noticing this for some time. When "by" along with the OP's name is added to a thread title, it can be hilarious. rotfl

I also enjoyed this one: Contagious? Now Mathis and Family Expecting Twins by Bayone.

But, TubaGuy, you have won the prize :gift: for the best one yet. :applause:

rotflmao rotflmao rotflmao

There won't be any demonstration in Canton. The place that houses a shrine to NFL greats doesn't turn around & do that....because level heads there know evolution and growning pains happen over the years & what counts most is preserving the league as we know it moving into years ahead. That's what Canton embodies. Part of what it is to be family. Demonstration would be short sighted and reactionary. Canton will roll with it. Even if there are a few dissenting persons hanging out at the fringe of the crowd on enshrinement day they'll be a speck on the windshield during an otherwise awesome cause for celebration....most particularly this year. Sometimes collateral damage is caused by battle. Sorry, Canton Ohio. I think the league will find a way to make it up to the city because once again, it is the entity with decades long commitments that go well beyond what any player puts in/gives back & long after everyone playing the game today is retired and gone. Anyone placing blame on the league, solely, needs to look in the mirror the players hold to their face as well.

Completely agree!

Yes, it sucks this year for Canton, but ultimately this is good for Canton. They now have the security of labor peace for the next ten years. The CBA is created to make the league stronger and grow the league which will only help the town of Canton. The bigger the league gets more people want to go to Canton.

Again it sucks this year, but in the long run it is good for the league, fans, and towns like Canton.

I hate to say, but the NFL made the right call. It would have been unfair to the Rams and Bears - why should they play in a meaningless game when they've got more important issues to rectify? Their coaching staff is probably swamped in responsibilities. Coaches throughout the league are having to do in weeks what they would have been doing in months! Furthermore, player safety for such an early game fresh off the lockout would have been scary. I'm not an advocate of player safety, but when it's for a meaningless game, it's better to ire on the side of caution and not play it in the first place. This has been the longest lockout in NFL history, and it's impossible to predict what could have happened to the players. Some coaches only recently met with their draft picks! How can they expect their players to play a full 60-minute game of football?

I understand the HoF game is not full-on contact. It's basically a Pro Bowl game, but that doesn't change the fact a player can get injured. Colts fans should know this better than anyone, having seen Anthony Gonzalez incur a leg injury simply from running a route! Now take that dilemma and add a fresh lockout on top.

Sorry Canton, but this needed to be done, both for the players and NFL coaching personnel. They need all the time they can get.