Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No DBs, OL please.

subvet

The Colts landed Gosder Cherilus and I'm hoping either Chance Warmack, or Jonathon Cooper is still on the board for the first round pick, if not then get D.J. Fluker.  Defensive backs are great but protect the quarterback is the name of the game for now, keep him healthy until he gets enough veteran savvy to let the Colts focus on other positions.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what they said last year with David DeCastro when the Steelers got him at 24....there is hope!

Last years draft was pretty stacked with talent compared to this year. I don't know why people don't mention Warford. He fits our system perfectly, if we drafted him at 24 it wouldn't really be a reach.

Agreed....    they shouldn't be there at 24....

Plus,  Fluker is more tackle than guard....

Fluker is currently a right tackle, but I think grades out better at right guard in the NFL. Fluker is a huge human being at 6-5 339, I think he could become a road grader type RG in the NFL. I think that he could struggle with the quickness of NFL pass rushers if left at RT. Don't get me wrong this is who I want the Colts to take at 24, I think that switching to RG in the NFL would give him time to develop into a RT if the Colts weren't sold on Cherilus in 3 years or could be first backup at RT. I would love to have this mountain of a man springing Ballard for huge gains, plus I think that it might fit Pep's power running game plan.

We can get a really good guard like Winters or Frederick in the 3rd. We should draft a WR in the 1st round  Reggie can't play forever and T.Y is best when playing in the slot. If there was ever a year to draft a WR this is the year, Hopkins,Allen, and Hunter all have the potential to be #1 WR's.

Last years draft was pretty stacked with talent compared to this year. I don't know why people don't mention Warford. He fits our system perfectly, if we drafted him at 24 it wouldn't really be a reach.

Although I also believe there's a possibility Warmack and/or Cooper could drop....I do like Warford a lot too.

A trade-down that nets him at the top of the 2nd round and gets us an extra 3rd would be ideal. And if we had a 2nd rounder this year I wouldn't feel as urgently about these OGs as I do.

But waiting until #86 for a shot at Warford, Fredrick, Pugh or Barrett Jones might be every bit as unrealistic as Warmack or Cooper dropping to us at the #24 spot....because I think there will be a very strong run on OGs in the 2nd round and by the time #86 rolls around we could be looking at backup-level talent.

I hate how "with Luck any WR will do" because that's not fair. If Castonzo and Ijalana can play the draft a WR. Imagine how good we'd be if Luck had his own Calvin Johnson or AJ Green.

Calvin Johnson was the 2nd overall pick and AJ Green 4th overall. Tough to get that kind of value at #24, sure that would great to have a WR like the aforementioned duo, but at the current pick I think that Oline would be better value.

Stop saying any WR will do because all of our WR barely caught anything. WR is a priority but so is the OL so is the OLB position so is CB are MLB core is not perfect maybe one more DE/DT a safety like what people don't understand is that these kind of things take time and its not all going to be fixed this offseason. We have problems but the draft isn't going to fix it all. You have to play the hand your dealt.

I remember reading in an interview a couple months ago about Grigson being asked if he would rather take a rookie CB or a rookie OL. 

I remember him saying he would take the rookie CB.

I think that was pretty telling of what could happen if we had to choose between CBs or OLs.

I remember reading in an interview a couple months ago about Grigson being asked if he would rather take a rookie CB or a rookie OL. 

I think that was pretty telling of what could happen if we had to choose between CBs or OLs.

How much of that is his philosophy, or smokescreen to hide who he really wants at #24. I would hope that Grigson takes the BPA regardless of position that is a position of need.( not a QB, TE, etc...)

How much of that is his philosophy, or smokescreen to hide who he really wants at #24. I would hope that Grigson takes the BPA regardless of position that is a position of need.( not a QB, TE, etc...)

I don't think Grigson is much a smokescreen GM. He seems to be a pretty straight shooter.

Well if we are talking about positions of need, I am thinking: WR, G, DE, OLB, CB, K. In no particular order of importance.

Warford would definitely be a reach at 24. If we traded back we could get him, but there will be better players at 24.

Warford would definitely be a reach at 24. If we traded back we could get him, but there will be better players at 24.

Perfectly said. I love Larry Warford and think that he could excel for us; however, it would be borderline irresponsible to overdraft him in the first. If we could trade back and land an additional later round pick, I would be all for it. We just have to make sure to draft responsibly so that we don't jeopardize our future by overvaluing need like the last régime, such as Anthony Gonzalez, Donald Brown and Jerry Hughes.

I hate how "with Luck any WR will do" because that's not fair. If Castonzo and Ijalana can play the draft a WR. Imagine how good we'd be if Luck had his own Calvin Johnson or AJ Green.

Calvin Johnson was the 2nd overall pick and AJ Green 4th overall. Tough to get that kind of value at #24, sure that would great to have a WR like the aforementioned duo, but at the current pick I think that Oline would be better value.

I understand that, but we have arguably the best talented WR dropping to us in Justin Hunter. Just my though but we need to get Luck a great target opposite and to eventually replace Reggie.

I don't think Grigson is much a smokescreen GM. He seems to be a pretty straight shooter.

Well if we are talking about positions of need, I am thinking: WR, G, DE, OLB, CB, K. In no particular order of importance.

Smokescreen was a poor choice of words, I do not think that Grigson would handcuff himself by totally eliminating a whole group of draftees because he said he preferred rookie CB to rookie OL. I don't know if he would tip his hand in regards to the draft that way.

Smokescreen was a poor choice of words, I do not think that Grigson would handcuff himself by totally eliminating a whole group of draftees because he said he preferred rookie CB to rookie OL. I don't know if he would tip his hand in regards to the draft that way.

I think context of the Grigson quote is needed. He was answering a question on whether he would feel more comfortable with a first year corner or OT playing. His reply was corner for a variety of reasons. But that does not mean that he will eliminate a group of draftees. IT just means that a lineman may take longer to get on the field.

This is not directed at you but the thread in general - I don't know why anyone gets one player or position in mind as the "must take" in round 1. Grigson will not operate that way and I am thankful for it.

Fluker is currently a right tackle, but I think grades out better at right guard in the NFL. Fluker is a huge human being at 6-5 339, I think he could become a road grader type RG in the NFL. I think that he could struggle with the quickness of NFL pass rushers if left at RT. Don't get me wrong this is who I want the Colts to take at 24, I think that switching to RG in the NFL would give him time to develop into a RT if the Colts weren't sold on Cherilus in 3 years or could be first backup at RT. I would love to have this mountain of a man springing Ballard for huge gains, plus I think that it might fit Pep's power running game plan.

Nice first post, Big Daddy.....

And welcome to Colts.com.....     Hope you like it here!!

As jskinnz said, that's not what Grigson said.

This was the one time I thought Paul Kuharsky asked a really insightful question, and it's a shame that the answer is being misconstrued.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72774/grigson-prefers-rookie-cbs-to-rookie-ols

I asked Grigson: Without knowing the guy, if you were forced to choose to play a first-year offensive lineman or a first-year defensive back, which would you rather put on the field?

Said Grigson:

“I would have to say a DB. Because a first-year offensive lineman, there are a lot more bullets flying in that vicinity he’s working in that involves thinking, that involved experience. That’s why for rookie tackles, they call it a baptism by fire. You don’t say that because it’s an easy process. A lot of times that ends up working in their favor, that they were thrown out there like that.

"But a lot of times depending on the scheme you play, corners that play on an island they are relying on technique and pure athletic ability and God-given ability. A lot of times on the offensive line, their first year they are going to see exotic blitzes that they’ve never even dreamed of. They are going to see pass-rushers and body types that they never knew existed. I would say definitely corner.”

The question was specific to who Grigson would rather see on the field, not who he would rather draft. At this point it would be wise to remember that Grigson doesn't determine who gets playing time, the coaching staff does (ideally).

Another thing is that Grigson specifically mentioned the difficulty for a rookie tackle, and how they have to deal with picking up blitzes and dealing with crazy athletic pass rushers.

It's probably true that Grigson and the coaching staff prefer that whoever we draft in the first round has a chance to be a starter, or at least a big part of the rotation. So his comments do have merit here. And a rookie corner would be more likely to play a solid amount of snaps, even as a reserve, than a rookie lineman who doesn't win a starting job. But I still don't think we should conclude that Grigson would pass on any lineman in the first round just because he'd be more comfortable with a starting rookie corner.

Lastly, Kuharsky's question was highly qualified: "Without knowing the guy..." is how he started. It should go without saying that if Grigson has a lineman rated higher than a corner, that he'd draft the lineman. But all things being equal, if he has a corner and a lineman rated similarly, he might be inclined toward the corner. But that's not exactly what he said.

Maybe not, but I find him to think if it absolutely came down to it, and both guys were equally skilled at their positions, he would choose a CB over a OL.

Maybe not, but I find him to think if it absolutely came down to it, and both guys were equally skilled at their positions, he would choose a CB over a OL.

That's probably the best conclusion that can be reached from Grigson's comments, when put into context. All things being equal, he'd probably favor the cornerback.

As jskinnz said, that's not what Grigson said.

This was the one time I thought Paul Kuharsky asked a really insightful question, and it's a shame that the answer is being misconstrued.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/72774/grigson-prefers-rookie-cbs-to-rookie-ols

The question was specific to who Grigson would rather see on the field, not who he would rather draft. At this point it would be wise to remember that Grigson doesn't determine who gets playing time, the coaching staff does (ideally).

Another thing is that Grigson specifically mentioned the difficulty for a rookie tackle, and how they have to deal with picking up blitzes and dealing with crazy athletic pass rushers.

It's probably true that Grigson and the coaching staff prefer that whoever we draft in the first round has a chance to be a starter, or at least a big part of the rotation. So his comments do have merit here. And a rookie corner would be more likely to play a solid amount of snaps, even as a reserve, than a rookie lineman who doesn't win a starting job. But I still don't think we should conclude that Grigson would pass on any lineman in the first round just because he'd be more comfortable with a starting rookie corner.

Lastly, Kuharsky's question was highly qualified: "Without knowing the guy..." is how he started. It should go without saying that if Grigson has a lineman rated higher than a corner, that he'd draft the lineman. But all things being equal, if he has a corner and a lineman rated similarly, he might be inclined toward the corner. But that's not exactly what he said.

Ok, thank you for the actual link and I am sorry for paraphrasing the actual quote.

I just think if all things equal, he would take the CB because they translate faster to success more than OL.

I would be very happy with either a G or a CB equally because I find them as equally needed. Along with a WR.

I've seen/heard a fair number of "experts" suggest that he'd fit better at RG in the NFL.

I'd like to see us take him and start him ahead of McGlynn but, like you, I don't see him being there at 24.

I've seen recent mocks with Fluker as high as 12 and as low as 28. A couple had the Colts taking him at 24. His projections are kind of all over the place. And with the greater potential for first day trades this year, I think it's impossible to narrow down where a player like that will go.

Many ppl forget about Ben Ijalana if he is healthy he may be taking the RG spot so I wouldn't go OG in 1 st and definitely don't go CB in the first no reason to waste a first on a back up player so I would he happier with WR then anything all have alot of potential and with Luck they can be real good