Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pjil B On Colt Problems, We All Stated The Same Thing

No matter who plays QB, it’s not going to make that much difference. Seriously, the Colts’ problems are more of a manifestation of several factors beginning with no No. 18

. Neither Painter nor Collins can make up for poor early-round draft picks in recent years, poor coaching, a flawed defensive philosophy and awful special teams.

My link

Honestly, wouldn't mind it if Polian was gone.

well who did the poor draft picks, The Polians , and they had to agree to Cal;dwells philosophy & his coaching changes right, so implicitly he is saying the Polians caused some of these issues & were not perfect were they

Polian trys to be so smart hes out smarting him self but seriously at the time of all the draft picks I liked them

2010 jerry hughes

Freeney ankle cost us un the superbowl and that playoff game to the chargers when we could get no pass rush so I thought it was good to get the third pass rusher

2009 donald brown

Alot of us were down on joe addia cause of his injury history and dancing

We thought brown would be the next big thing a push addia out of town

2008 mike pollack

I liked the pick because we where not sure if we could sign jeff or if he would retire

So we drafted pollack he was the best rated center in the draft that year

2007 gonzo

We all knew marvin had lost a step an gonzo made sense at the time he showed flashes that he could be that number two but we all know what happened

Look back at the time of the picks

A top pass rusher

A top 2 running back

The top center

a playmaking wide out

All of this is based off of college rankings at the time

Polian trys to be so smart hes out smarting him self but seriously at the time of all the draft picks I liked them

2010 jerry hughes

Freeney ankle cost us un the superbowl and that playoff game to the chargers when we could get no pass rush so I thought it was good to get the third pass rusher

2009 donald brown

Alot of us were down on joe addia cause of his injury history and dancing

We thought brown would be the next big thing a push addia out of town

2008 mike pollack

I liked the pick because we where not sure if we could sign jeff or if he would retire

So we drafted pollack he was the best rated center in the draft that year

2007 gonzo

We all knew marvin had lost a step an gonzo made sense at the time he showed flashes that he could be that number two but we all know what happened

Look back at the time of the picks

A top pass rusher

A top 2 running back

The top center

a playmaking wide out

All of this is based off of college rankings at the time

Exactly. All of these players did well in the college game. You can't expect them to have success for certain in the NFL because you have no idea how they will do. All you have is game film from their play in college. At the time (like you said), many people liked the picks. Now, those same people are attacking Polian and saying he is a bad GM, it's a little embarrassing to see.

Gonzo and Brown are in their make-or-break year and so far, neither has shown any reason why we should keep him. With the way things are going so far, I don't expect either to be on the roster next year. As for Pollak, I have heard that his best position is center, so they might move him to center after Jeff retires. As for Hughes, give him time. I give him this year and next to prove himself. If he doesn't produce next year, he will be gone.

Exactly. All of these players did well in the college game. You can't expect them to have success for certain in the NFL because you have no idea how they will do. All you have is game film from their play in college. At the time (like you said), many people liked the picks. Now, those same people are attacking Polian and saying he is a bad GM, it's a little embarrassing to see.

Gonzo and Brown are in their make-or-break year and so far, neither has shown any reason why we should keep him. With the way things are going so far, I don't expect either to be on the roster next year. As for Pollak, I have heard that his best position is center, so they might move him to center after Jeff retires. As for Hughes, give him time. I give him this year and next to prove himself. If he doesn't produce next year, he will be gone.

Hughes in most analysis at the time I read was projected as an OLB in a 3-4 not a pure DE for draft purposes, also after screaming about the OL in SB 44 I stil cant understand not taking Scaffold

Brown at RB was a sc hock I thought, but not the pick of Brown , the pick of a RB

I have no problem with Pollak, if he turns out to be the center he's projected to be right now.

I thought Brown was a good idea at the time, but he's clearly out of the picture next year, if not sooner. I'm of the opinion that he was a part of the supposed trade the Colts were trying to work out at the end of training camp. Whatever happened to that, I don't know.

I have no problem waiting for Hughes. Though I also recall him being projected as a pass rushing OLB at draft time. That doesn't mean it won't work out though. There aren't many opportunities for him to play right now with 4 DEs ahead of him (2 pro-bowl rushers, and two run stuffers).

Speaking of his projected position though, both of our pro-bowlers could be near the end of their careers, at least with the Colts. We bring in Anderson & Brayton (bigger run stuffers), who's ages I'm too lazy to look up right now. We seem to be drafting a bit bigger guys lately. Did Coyer run cover 2 in Denver? What's his preferred defense? Could it be we're already in the process of changing defensive schemes?

Gonzo: I like him. OR, I like my recollection of what he was/could be. Last year was wasted for him, and it wasn't his fault. This year he's being held out, first due to recovering from a nagging injury, and now I believe it's because of the unsettled QB situation (why bother until Kerry has his stuff down, save Gonzo for a more effective time). I think he has a much better chance of hanging around next year than Brown does.

Now to the main topic of the interview. I'm a Caldwell backer. Not that I'm blind, but I allow for mistakes, and growing pains, and the situation we've been in since early last season (injuries). That, plus I've not yet seen anything that blatantly tells me he's horrible. HOWEVER, Coyer's redirect of the question concerns me, though it may be out of ignorance (on my part). So, I gotta ask.....

The Colts are a pretty closed organization (Irsay tweets aside). They hold everything close to the vest, until they have to divulge information. That said, and me being from out of town, is it uncommon for the coordinators to give interviews? Could it be that there are topics he can discuss, and others that are to be directed to the HC or a Polian?

Just asking.

Hughes in most analysis at the time I read was projected as an OLB in a 3-4 not a pure DE for draft purposes,

Biug deal, a lot of people had Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney projected as OLB. One, most of the draft sites get their information from the same company, two most draft sites do that with any DE who is under 270lbs.

also after screaming about the OL in SB 44 I stil cant understand not taking Scaffold
I assume you mean Saffold. One nobody screamed about the oline after SB 44. Polian said they did not play up to Colt standards and that he had projected Saffold as a RT, to which he said that he made a mistake with that (which is often misquoted and twisted so people think he said it was a mistake taking Hughes over Saffold)
Brown at RB was a sc hock I thought, but not the pick of Brown , the pick of a RB

Why was that a shock? The Colts had nobody behind Addai. Hart was coming off a serious injury in which he tore two ligaments in his knee. That year I thought the Colts would take Ziggy Hood in the 1st and Shonn Greene in the 2nd. Instead they took Brown in the first and Moala in the 2nd. Plus all off season Polian talked about in today's NFL you need a two back attack.

@coffeedrinker and 21isSuperman: You are both right. Sadly, you will have to re-post this information again in about 72 hours when everyone claims they know more about the draft than the Polians.

At the time, most of us were pretty excited about these picks. The SAME EXACT PEOPLE are now acting like they knew all along how mediocre they might turn out.

I love how no one mentions the 2011 Draft, where we basically knocked it out of the park in terms of crossing need and BPA. Our first pick may end up the best player on the line by this season's end, and the second pick will probably be rotating in soon. The third is a big, strong, disruptive DT who's already getting playing time, and the fourth has become a major rotational back for us.