Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colin Cowherd Greatest QB Bracket

Narcosys

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - sorry that I didn't see this earlier. Love the "region" names.

I suspect that Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham and Kenny Stabler were seriously underestimated, and it's seems unfathomable that Favre is so close to Unitas in the voting, but otherwise it seems reasonable.

Thanks - sorry that I didn't see this earlier. Love the "region" names.

I suspect that Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham and Kenny Stabler were seriously underestimated, and it's seems unfathomable that Favre is so close to Unitas in the voting, but otherwise it seems reasonable.

They discounted 30k votes for Otto Graham vs Favre. Evidently Graham received 30'000 votes in a row from the same place in Europe lol

They discounted 30k votes for Otto Graham vs Favre. Evidently Graham received 30'000 votes in a row from the same place in Europe lol

: haha: Love it. And some of us think that we're devoted fans.

Makes you wonder what Graham's heritage was.

Someone probably used a hack to do this and it was really just a test for something else.

The fact that Favre is even that close to Johnny U is a joke.

I agree 1000 percent, but most people voting have never seen Unitas, so they vote for someone they know. Its kinda like in basketball..Everyone is so up on Kobe and Lebron, they would vote for them as the greatest of all time..They forget greats like Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor..etc...The only one that has stayed through time as the greatest in B-Ball is Michael Jordan...and even then you have more than there should be people saying Kobe and Lebron are better than Jordan as well...

Well if we get our community to vote it can help.  theres onlyl 1500 votes right now so it wont take much to get caught up.  Manning and Elway are pretty close.  I wonder if Denver fans are torn now?  Lets get to voting.  Use different computers lol

Well if we get our community to vote it can help.  theres onlyl 1500 votes right now so it wont take much to get caught up.  Manning and Elway are pretty close.  I wonder if Denver fans are torn now?  Lets get to voting.  Use different computers lol

I really wanted to see a Manning/Unitas final. All the Pats fans are butthurt from Tom losing. haha Also did anyone ever see the Pats fans refer to Tom as TFB? I mean kind of a ripoff from PFM.

Can someone explain the regions? wth?

I think the point is to be a joke.

Anyone ever see this?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33937274/ns/sports-nfl/page/2/

For Peyton Manning: (13½ votes) 
Troy Aikman (Class of ’06), George Blanda (’81), Len Dawson (’87), Dan Fouts (’93), Bob Griese (’90), Sonny Jurgensen (‘83), Jim Kelly (’02), Warren Moon (’06), Joe Namath (‘85), Clarence (Ace) Parker (’72), Fran Tarkenton (’86), Y.A. Tittle (’71), Charley Trippi (’68). Joe Montana (’00) (second half)

For Tom Brady: (2½ votes)
Terry Bradshaw (’89), John Elway (’04), Joe Montana (first half) 

Abstain: Dan Marino (’05), Bart Starr (’77), Roger Staubach (’85), Steve Young (’05)

Can someone explain the regions? wth?

Four of the biggest disappointments in NFL history at the QB position - although I must say that Couch had his moments. There had to be better (or should I say worse) candidates than that.

As to why, it's called irony. Pretty funny actually.

Well Johnny is getting blown out by Montana. Shame really, ignorance is a powerful weapon.

Looks like it'll be Manning and Montana in the finals.

Forgot all about it - had no idea it was on to the next round.

It really is a shame. Montana was terrific, but not on the same planet as Unitas. Comparing a guy who methodically led one of the most dominant teams in the history of the sport (completely a tool of his HOF coach, and in my opinion only the third best QB of his own era - if not fourth or fifth), with a guy who redefined the position and was essentially the face of the league as it began morphing into the sport that we all love - is just ridiculous. The voting "should" be the complete reverse of what it is.

I know he wouldn't have a chance at winning, but each time the subject of great QB's comes up, I'm always perplexed by the absence of Bert Jones.

He's not the greatest, but I certainly think he should have gotten a spot in that bracket. I think he's certainly more worthy than Randall Cunningham, Sammy Baugh, Bob Griese, Ken Stabler, and Steve McNair.

Even we as Colts fans tend to forget about him. We start to talk about great Colts QB's and we go right for the easy "Manning, Unitas" with the occasional "Harbaugh, Luck" thrown in. 

Bert Jones is the runt of our all-pro QB's.

I know he wouldn't have a chance at winning, but each time the subject of great QB's comes up, I'm always perplexed by the absence of Bert Jones.

He's not the greatest, but I certainly think he should have gotten a spot in that bracket. I think he's certainly more worthy than Randall Cunningham, Sammy Baugh, Bob Griese, Ken Stabler, and Steve McNair.

Even we as Colts fans tend to forget about him. We start to talk about great Colts QB's and we go right for the easy "Manning, Unitas" with the occasional "Harbaugh, Luck" thrown in. 

Bert Jones is the runt of our all-pro QB's.

I was in my teens when Bert had his best years, and he was one of my sports idols. Any Colts fan who mentions Luck or Harbaugh before Jones is likely young and/or Indy centric. They don't know what they're missing.

However when comparing all time greats you need to have played/accomplished a lot more than Bert did. Unfortunate, but reasonable.

By the way, Baugh was a hall of famer from a different era. Impossible to compare him, but illogical to dismiss him. I assume that the nick-name "Slinging Sammy" suggests an ability to pass the ball. Stabler was brilliant, and absolutely deserves to be in the conversation. In my opinion Griese wasn't all that special, but he was a key piece of some very successful teams for a long time. Cunningham and McNair seem much less worthy.

It really is a shame. Montana was terrific, but not on the same planet as Unitas. Comparing a guy who methodically led one of the most dominant teams in the history of the sport (completely a tool of his HOF coach, and in my opinion only the third best QB of his own era - if not fourth or fifth), with a guy who redefined the position and was essentially the face of the league as it began morphing into the sport that we all love - is just ridiculous. The voting "should" be the complete reverse of what it is.

In my mind no one should have come close to beating Unitas. When the vote almost split 50-50 with Favre it was evident Unitas has become forgotten. I really didn't think he had a chance with Montana, but I hoped we would have gotten the Colts QB showdown Finals. Would have been a nice sight for us Colts fans.

Johnny birthed the modern QB. Pure QB play doesn't get any better than watching the '58 championship game. I can watch footage over and over on youtube. I only wish I got the chance to see him play, or even just simply meet him. We had a book in my school library when I was little about Johnny and the Colts, and I would read it every single day.

Like Frank Deford said on NFL All-Time list, "It's not important whether Unitas was the greatest. He is the quarterback for all-time...Unitas is the one and only now, and as such he'll only be more legendary as time passes." No truer words have been said, but it's also sweeter because he is the greatest.

I really wanted to see a Manning/Unitas final. All the Pats fans are butthurt from Tom losing. haha Also did anyone ever see the Pats fans refer to Tom as TFB? I mean kind of a ripoff from PFM.

Never seen peyton referred to as PFM, do don't know what that is. Where did you see that the pats are butt hurt. Not surprised tho.

Anyone ever see this?

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33937274/ns/sports-nfl/page/2/

For Peyton Manning: (13½ votes)

Troy Aikman (Class of ’06), George Blanda (’81), Len Dawson (’87), Dan Fouts (’93), Bob Griese (’90), Sonny Jurgensen (‘83), Jim Kelly (’02), Warren Moon (’06), Joe Namath (‘85), Clarence (Ace) Parker (’72), Fran Tarkenton (’86), Y.A. Tittle (’71), Charley Trippi (’68). Joe Montana (’00) (second half)

For Tom Brady: (2½ votes)

Terry Bradshaw (’89), John Elway (’04), Joe Montana (first half)

Abstain: Dan Marino (’05), Bart Starr (’77), Roger Staubach (’85), Steve Young (’05)

That link just leads to a list of topics by sports. What's it supposed to be about?

So which is which. Those statements could kind of apply to both.

So which is which. Those statements could kind of apply to both.

If you're trying to be funny I don't get it.

I "forgot all about" the website, the competition, this thread.......................

The rest was about Montana and Unitas, thus the specific references to both of them. If you are saying that you could substitute Manning's name for Unitas and make a very similar statement, I would agree.

Never seen peyton referred to as PFM, do don't know what that is. Where did you see that the pats are butt hurt. Not surprised tho.

The entire city of Denver decided that they hadn't just acquired Peyton Manning, they had acquired Peyton " :censored: " Manning.

If you listened to their sports radio call in shows from last years FA period forward you would have some variation of it a few dozen times. I've seen people use it in blogs, comment sections are forums as well. The Patriots part of that comment may have just been a wishful assumption - unless there was a comments section on the website that said as much (I didn't look).

Gruden, in his many nicknames for Peyton, once called him Peyton Freaking Manning on TV. Some people referred to him as that, and the Broncos fans really took a liking to it. So that is what they called him. But it has been a nickname for a few years not one of the better known. I've just recently started seeing TFB pop up referring to Tom. I don't know if it's just a copy, or Gruden also called Tom that.

If you look in the comment sections it's full of Patriots fan saying Brady only lost because everyone hates the Patriots for being so good, yadda ydda yadda.

I love their arguments though. The only true argument they have is 3 ring>1 ring. Because we all know 2001-2004 Tom Brady>2005-present Tom Brady. haha Brady fans argument is spoiled by their own QB.

That link just leads to a list of topics by sports. What's it supposed to be about?

It was an article on the current HoF QBs choosing between Peyton and Tom. Peyton was favored 13.5 to 2.5. Jo Montana split his vote. And four QBs refused to answer.