Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

decision time for DHB

MrNLM

Do we think that DHB has #1 receiver potential. I do not think that he is there now, but could exposure to Wayne, Luck, Pagano, turn him into a bonified #1?

I think we envision him more in Averys role, but younger, faster and with longer arms.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to read into anything, but there are pretty positive comments from him about one team, and no comments from him about the other team. I don't know if he did any media while he was in Indy, but he definitely did media in Detroit.

Just saying, indications point to Detroit.

Yeah there is a good chance he ends up there

Yeah he's going to the Lions now we can just draft a WR.

He hasn't made a decision yet.

Interesting note from Stampede Blue....

"The Lions only have $7,271,911, which is just enough for Detroit to sign their draft picks, rookie free agents, and any other roster moves that could pop-up during the season. If they need this money for those other signings, how can they ink Heyward-Bey?"

DHB may be going to neither the Colts nor the Lions. If he chooses Detroit I think it would be because he likes the situation there better than the one in Indy, or Grigson really didn't offer him much.

I'll be surprised if he comes here.  If I'm wrong and he does, great.  Low risk, high reward for us.  If not, no big loss. 

You're right, but i wouldn't be suprised, in fact, i totally belive he'e coming here. I could rationalize all the reasons why INDY is a better fit for him, vs Detroit, but i'll keep it simple. Him coming here, is the better career choice.

He hasn't made a decision yet.

Interesting note from Stampede Blue....

"The Lions only have $7,271,911, which is just enough for Detroit to sign their draft picks, rookie free agents, and any other roster moves that could pop-up during the season. If they need this money for those other signings, how can they ink Heyward-Bey?"

DHB may be going to neither the Colts nor the Lions. If he chooses Detroit I think it would be because he likes the situation there better than the one in Indy, or Grigson really didn't offer him much.

That is very interesting

Free agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey called the possibility of signing with the Lions "very appealing."

DHB left his meeting with the Lions on Wednesday without a contract, but it sounds like he's leaning towards accepting their offer over the Colts. Miscast as a full-time starter with the Raiders, Heyward-Bey will be a situational deep threat wherever he lands. Mar 28 - 11:30 AM

Free agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey called the possibility of signing with the Lions "very appealing."
DHB left his meeting with the Lions on Wednesday without a contract, but it sounds like he's leaning towards accepting their offer over the Colts. Miscast as a full-time starter with the Raiders, Heyward-Bey will be a situational deep threat wherever he lands. Mar 28 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the update.

thanks for the update

The longer this goes on.....    the longer it takes for DHB to decide....   I think it's at least our sign is in the ball park....

We may have given him something to think about....

Honestly, considering he was due roughly $7.5 Mill from the Raiders,  I suspect he's going through stick-shock because the Colts and Lions are probably offering him something in the range of $1.5Mill (my hunch)....    so,  that's 20 percent of what he was expecting.  

I'm still hoping he comes to his senses....  Detroit maybe offering him a bit more....  but we're offering a better chance at winning...

The longer this goes on..... the longer it takes for DHB to decide.... I think it's at least our sign is in the ball park....

Honestly, considering he was due roughly $7.5 Mill from the Raiders, I suspect he's going through stick-shock because the Colts and Lions are probably offering him something in the range of $1.5Mill (my hunch).... so, that's 20 percent of what he was expecting.

I'm still hoping he comes to his senses.... Detroit maybe offering him a bit more.... but we're offering a better chance at winning...

Its also possible that Grigs called his agent and upped the offer by 150k a year or so: That or added a year.

The longer this goes on..... the longer it takes for DHB to decide.... I think it's at least our sign is in the ball park....

Honestly, considering he was due roughly $7.5 Mill from the Raiders, I suspect he's going through stick-shock because the Colts and Lions are probably offering him something in the range of $1.5Mill (my hunch).... so, that's 20 percent of what he was expecting.

I'm still hoping he comes to his senses.... Detroit maybe offering him a bit more.... but we're offering a better chance at winning...

Some players care more about $$$ than winning

Sad but true

Or possibly he knows that no where.....no where will he ever again have the chance to make anywhere near the money he will be offered again.....likely having to live off whatever he makes for the rest of his life or sell cars. He will do what's best for his family and take the money. Outside the nfl his salary will be 50-60k....he is still a young man and probably has expensive house and cars. His lifestyle is about to dramatically change...and he will decide on the place that he thinks he has the best chance to maintain as much of it as he can. I don't hate on a guy that takes the money over a chance to win. It's a business....and a very short career at that. The difference in a couple years and 2 and 3 million is a lot for someone that is just trying to stay in the nfl....this isn't like a guy deciding on taking 10 million against 12 million to play on a winner. This is likely his last chance at money.

To me he is probably mulling over guaranteed money vs incentive laiden or several years over one or two. There is big tradeoffs. He could see this as a chance to jump start his career and get another contract in a year...or take a longer contract...there is a lot to consider. TBH for a WR there isn't much difference in the two locations. Neither team is in an elite position. Detroit was in the playoffs the year before and us last year. Both have great young qbs and possilbly and explosive passing game. We are biased and probably Indy is a better landing spot but he will have a lot of opportunities in Detroit too. He is going to look at what makes the most money or will allow him to make the most money....winning a championship...thats just gravey.

Or possibly he knows that no where.....no where will he ever again have the chance to make anywhere near the money he will be offered again.....likely having to live off whatever he makes for the rest of his life or sell cars. He will do what's best for his family and take the money. Outside the nfl his salary will be 50-60k....he is still a young man and probably has expensive house and cars. His lifestyle is about to dramatically change...and he will decide on the place that he thinks he has the best chance to maintain as much of it as he can. I don't hate on a guy that takes the money over a chance to win. It's a business....and a very short career at that. The difference in a couple years and 2 and 3 million is a lot for someone that is just trying to stay in the nfl....this isn't like a guy deciding on taking 10 million against 12 million to play on a winner. This is likely his last chance at money.

To me he is probably mulling over guaranteed money vs incentive laiden or several years over one or two. There is big tradeoffs. He could see this as a chance to jump start his career and get another contract in a year...or take a longer contract...there is a lot to consider. TBH for a WR there isn't much difference in the two locations. Neither team is in an elite position. Detroit was in the playoffs the year before and us last year. Both have great young qbs and possilbly and explosive passing game. We are biased and probably Indy is a better landing spot but he will have a lot of opportunities in Detroit too. He is going to look at what makes the most money or will allow him to make the most money....winning a championship...thats just gravey.

Very well said. He may well take a gamble based on his own talent and belief that he can succeed in his new home and get a better long term deal, by performing next season. Good luck to him on whatever direction he decides upon... 

So what does DHB do if NEITHER the Colts or Lions are willing to pay him as much money as he wants?  Honestly I think the money thing is the only reason the Colts didn't land him.  So maybe the longer he sits out there and realizes no one is going to give him close to the amount of money he wants the more he'll look at the Colts offer.

With that said I think he's going to go to the Lions and I think the Colts have pretty much already decided to look in another direction for a second WR. 

So what does DHB do if NEITHER the Colts or Lions are willing to pay him as much money as he wants?  Honestly I think the money thing is the only reason the Colts didn't land him.  So maybe the longer he sits out there and realizes no one is going to give him close to the amount of money he wants the more he'll look at the Colts offer.

With that said I think he's going to go to the Lions and I think the Colts have pretty much already decided to look in another direction for a second WR. 

Just some food for thought....

I think if the Colts had moved on from DHB,  then I think DHB would know it, and would've already signed with the Lions....

I could be wrong about that....   but that's my read of things....

Just some food for thought....

I think if the Colts had moved on from DHB,  then I think DHB would know it, and would've already signed with the Lions....

I could be wrong about that....   but that's my read of things....

Fair point but he could also still be trying to get more money out of the Lions or waiting to see if a third team will become interested if he doesn't like what the Lions are offering money wise. 

Don't get me wrong if DHB came to the Colts and said hey I realized I am not going to get the cash I want and I am willing to take your offer he would still be the their first choice however, the impression I have kind of gotten from the Colts and the people paid to follow them is that the Colts don't think that is going to happen and are exploring other options.  I don't think the Colts are going to rush into a deal with someone but I do think they expect him to sign with someone else but if that changes I am sure the Colts would gladly still sign him. 

Some players care more about $$$ than winning

Sad but true

I think that's true of most players, and I don't really think it's that sad. This is their job, and the money you make for doing your job is important. If you can make twice as much somewhere else, it's at least worth considering, especially when your window of maximum earning potential is so small.

I think fans romanticize "winning" and the players who seem to make personal sacrifices in the name of winning. But there are tons of players who make those sacrifices and still never win. And there are those who don't make those sacrifices and do win. I find it hard to begrudge a pro athlete who considers the money he can make to be as important as his chances of winning. One thing is a lot more certain than the other.

I think that's true of most players, and I don't really think it's that sad. This is their job, and the money you make for doing your job is important. If you can make twice as much somewhere else, it's at least worth considering, especially when your window of maximum earning potential is so small.

I think fans romanticize "winning" and the players who seem to make personal sacrifices in the name of winning. But there are tons of players who make those sacrifices and still never win. And there are those who don't make those sacrifices and do win. I find it hard to begrudge a pro athlete who considers the money he can make to be as important as his chances of winning. One thing is a lot more certain than the other.

I suppose. But if you're doing it for the love if the sport, money shouldn't matter imo

That's just it they aren't doing it for the love the sport.  It's their chosen profession.  I am sure they love the sport they play but it's very much their job as well.

And careers are very short, make hay while the sun shines and the knees work.