Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

decision time for DHB

MrNLM

The Lions are getting some pub for having a few nuckelheads on their roster. Something the Colts have never really had an issue with. Were a team on the rise while the Lions struggle to consistently be a 2nd place team in their division. The smart choice is Indy.

So, you're sayin' that, if he's a knucklehead, he'll sign with the Lions(?).

I'm fine with that.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be upset either way on this topic.

I don't follow the draft classes all that closely, and I know many would rather draft a WR, perhaps in the 1st, but I've also heard many state that this years WR class is weak. Heck if the top ranked WR in the draft has 1 year of major college experience, how good could it be. Perhaps, it's deep, just not that great at the top(?).

Also, many say next year is the year to get a WR, and for that reason I wouldn't mind picking up DHB this year, concentrate on other areas, and draft our future#1 next year.

Well in looking at his relationship to Stafford I would look for him to sign with the Lions I think

Lions | Darrius Heyward-Bey would enjoy Matt Stafford as QB Wed Mar 27, 04:24 PM

Free-agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders) said he would enjoy having Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford as his quarterback. Heyward-Bey said he has known Stafford for years.

Link to story https://twitter.com/AnwarRichardson/status/317003908159504384

That would be a heck of a combo with him and Megatron I'll say that.

However I'm not sure why he is leaving once again without a contract other than possible issues with his asking price I guess

Lions | Darrius Heyward-Bey leaves without contract Wed Mar 27, 04:06 PM

Detroit Lions met with free-agent WR Darrius Heyward-Bey (Raiders) Wednesday, Mar. 27. Heyward-Bey said it was a great visit, but left without a contract.

Link to story https://twitter.com/AnwarRichardson/status/317003104497332224

To the bolded part: Perhaps, but there are many FAs who want to 'test the market', then sign with the first team they meet with.

Perhaps, DHB really IS testing the market.

Do we think that DHB has #1 receiver potential. I do not think that he is there now, but could exposure to Wayne, Luck, Pagano, turn him into a bonified #1?

I'm not sure if WE think that. But he may think that. And where would he have a better chance to be #1 in the next few years, here or Detroit. Would he rather face the Texans, Titans and Jags, or Packers, Vikings, and Bears? Which team made the playoffs, and which team has brighter prospects?

All of those choices are pretty easy to me, but it will come down to which team offers him the better, longer deal.

To the bolded part: Perhaps, but there are many FAs who want to 'test the market', then sign with the first team they meet with.

Perhaps, DHB really IS testing the market.

I don't mind his approach here. It seems prudent to me. If he winds up choosing the Colts, it's because he wants to be here, and hopefully not because they were the first team to throw money at him.

If he doesn't choose the Colts, I don't care. Our hopes for the season don't hinge on his signing or not. Would be a good addition, and I hope we do sign him for a reasonable deal, but I'm okay if we don't.

So for a young guy who probably didn't have a great experience in Oakland to begin his career, it makes sense to take his time and weigh his options. And I would expect him to fully embrace whatever opportunity he feels is best for him at this time. Like I said, if that's the Colts, then great, and his approach makes me feel even better. If it's not the Colts, oh well.

And by the way, when I take off my Colts homervision glasses, I can see why a receiver would want to play for the Lions. They throw the ball a ton, they play in a dome, Stafford is a good young QB, they have the best receiver in the league drawing attention, and DHB would be their clear #2 option. If the money is similar, it wouldn't surprise me if he chose the Lions.

I see a Stafford vs Grigson 2 round fight card here. The advantage goes to the Colts here. The fight is deadlocked between Luck & Stafford, but with the GM of the year, and the possiblity of getting an to multiple superbowls, having Grigson on this side, hould provide the Colts with the knock power they need to bring the battle to an end with the victory. ? is, what is DHB and his agent talking about? Even with all that talent, they go 4 - 12, we're suppose to believe that Reggie Bush is gonna take them all the way to the superbowl?....Prediction: D.H.B. will sign with the Colts...

its just that the colts are a playoff team and the lions are not.

Yep, but the Lions have a lot of talent, and every 'on the cusp' team tells FAs what they want to hear, which is that they see the player as an important piece in putting them over the top.

Well, that and the whole money thing.

its just that the colts are a playoff team and the lions are not.

Yes but just the year before last the lions were a playoff team. With Bush in the backfield, Calvin Johnson, and then an addition of Heyward Bey. Not to mention whatever other beef they get in the draft, I'd expect for them to be right back in the thick of things come playoff time. If they get him, I also expect for them to add more defensive backs in the draft. They already have a very good D-line.

with the addition of reggie bush along with cal and stafford you better believe their a playoff team

They have no O-line. They lost both of their starting tackles this off-season and their defense is still atrocious. It's not like their offense was the problem last season. I don't think adding a mediocre aging running back is going to fix their problems.

They have no O-line. They lost both of their starting tackles this off-season and their defense is still atrocious. It's not like their offense was the problem last season. I don't think adding a mediocre aging running back is going to fix their problems.

bush is only 28 thats three good years left atleast. and the lions offense kept going three and out id know. with bush, they now have a threat outside of cal

I don't think you let a signing like this stop you from drafting a young guy to be groomed. DHB will always be a situational guy until he proves otherwise. At the very best I see him as a high upside #3 to a mid level #2. How are you gonna let that stop you from drafting? 

Plenty here that just no comprende the advantage to finding this type of worthy bigger bodied speed receiver BEFORE the draft.

DHB comes with the cost of No draft picks and fills an important need. Someone may come available before the draft but at what cost?

Having that spot filled really opens up Griggs to use his talent for slotting players draft position and Trade Back opportunities to still get the players he wants.

After today I really like Robert Woods. Lots of Reggie in him and can be had in the 2nd.

Gimme Woods, T Frederick, an OLB developemental PR guy, Stanfords S Taylor for a 3rd down pass receiving/pass blocking back

and whoever.

Lol he said all this stuff while being interviewed by a Michigan based program. So I'm sure the questions were Lions related. Stop basing your opinions on this article. No one knows what way he is leaning

Where are his Colts related comments? I think it's reasonable to conclude that he's leaning toward Detroit.

Where are his Colts related comments? I think it's reasonable to conclude that he's leaning toward Detroit.

Has any Colt or Indy related ppl interviewed him? Was he directly asked bout them do give his opinion? He may very well be leaning Detroit but not basing it on a slanted interview

Has any Colt or Indy related ppl interviewed him? Was he directly asked bout them do give his opinion? He may very well be leaning Detroit but not basing it on a slanted interview

I'm not trying to read into anything, but there are pretty positive comments from him about one team, and no comments from him about the other team. I don't know if he did any media while he was in Indy, but he definitely did media in Detroit.

Just saying, indications point to Detroit.