Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Freeney Wants 6 Million annually, & Broncos are now down on Abraham, Dolphins now in mix , What to do ?

bayone

Freeney not a lock to sign with the Broncos?

Freeney is looking for an annual salary of $6 million. He's also in no rush to get a deal done

. Beisner was told it wouldn't be surprising if a deal wasn't completed until training camp or after.

The deal is not dead, but at this time it seems like things have slowed. Also, John Abraham appears to be out as an option for the Broncos. Beisner on NFL Networks Total Access said that the Broncos are down on Abraham because of "Age, injury concerns among other things". So we can cross him off the list for the Broncos.

Also Cliff Avril who is younger and a better DE at this point and time signed a 2 year deal that averages 6.5 million annually.

The Broncos are facing some competition for Dwight Freeneys services it appears. According to Adam Schefter on NFL Live, theDolphins have some interest in signing the former Colts pass rusher. So we'll see how this all plays out.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/26/4150786/freeney-not-a-lock-to-sign-with-the-broncos

Freeney not a lock to sign with the Broncos?

Freeney is looking for an annual salary of $6 million. He's also in no rush to get a deal done

. Beisner was told it wouldn't be surprising if a deal wasn't completed until training camp or after.

The deal is not dead, but at this time it seems like things have slowed. Also, John Abraham appears to be out as an option for the Broncos. Beisner on NFL Networks Total Access said that the Broncos are down on Abraham because of "Age, injury concerns among other things". So we can cross him off the list for the Broncos.

Also Cliff Avril who is younger and a better DE at this point and time signed a 2 year deal that averages 6.5 million annually.

The Broncos are facing some competition for Dwight Freeneys services it appears. According to Adam Schefter on NFL Live, theDolphins have some interest in signing the former Colts pass rusher. So we'll see how this all plays out.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/26/4150786/freeney-not-a-lock-to-sign-with-the-broncos

Glad your keeping us informed ,thanks for the info my Friend,would love to see DF there,sorry about the ED debacle as im sure the Broncos fans are as well,bet they are livid,I know I would be

Freeney isn't worth 6 mil. a yr., not on todays market. He's too old and you would think with all the money he stole last yr., :whatever:  that he would be content to play a couple seasons at a much reduced salary.

Not so sure about that. Most Broncs fans seem to think he could step right in and fill the void left by Doom. If that is true, than Freeney deserves the 6mil

BTW, I love this soap opera. The more Elway squirms the better. Pay back for taking Welker. The Pats always win in the end. :-) lol! Just kidding...

Not so sure about that. Most Broncs fans seem to think he could step right in and fill the void left by Doom. If that is true, than Freeney deserves the 6mil

BTW, I love this soap opera. The more Elway squirms the better. Pay back for taking Welker. The Pats always win in the end. :-) lol! Just kidding...

Don't think hes capable of filling the void completely,hes not the player he once was,to think hes on the same par with ED whos in his prime is not solid thinking IMO

I don't see Freeney being that effective in the thin air and on the natural surface of Denver. Avril only got 7.5 and he's 6 yrs. younger than Freeney. Doom only got a little over 6 mil a yr. and he's 4 yrs. younger. Freeney needs to realize he's not a young man anymore and play for a small contract, then ride into the sunset.

I don't see Freeney being that effective in the thin air and on the natural surface of Denver. Avril only got 7.5 and he's 6 yrs. younger than Freeney. Doom only got a little over 6 mil a yr. and he's 4 yrs. younger. Freeney needs to realize he's not a young man anymore and play for a small contract, then ride into the sunset.

I would agree with this statements ,lol im outta likes still,Freeney is not even a 3 down defensive end IMO even in a 4-3 setting,he can still rush the passer,but if hes doubled hes done,and really hes not getting doubled like he used too

I would agree with this statements ,lol im outta likes still,Freeney is not even a 3 down defensive end IMO even in a 4-3 setting,he can still rush the passer,but if hes doubled hes done,and really hes not getting doubled like he used too

+1. Im out too already. haha

Glad your keeping us informed ,thanks for the info my Friend,would love to see DF there,sorry about the ED debacle as im sure the Broncos fans are as well,bet they are livid,I know I would be

To Clarify, I am a colt fan first, just still love Peyton and all the memories he gave and as time limited here and so many give Colt news I try to provide what effects Peyton

Now as far as Bronco fans, I live in Lion country, not colt or Bronco, Last night was My Holiday, beiong Jewish, called Passover, and to all that celebrate Easter , may u have Great Good Friday and holiday

However back to the point

This is a joyous Holiday & cousins were in From Denver for traditional holiday dinner and singing  & story telling  celebrating the exodous out of Egypt  / Moses

As Per A Born Denver Bronco Fan, yes they would like freeney or Abe as stop gap measure, are not at all thinking Broncos & Elway mishandled it with Doom but blame his agent and Doom, Do not like way doom left without grace back to team ala Reed full page add

& want to draft a new DE,. Now i didnt know freeney wanted 6 million last night to ask, but my cposin thought he would take much less , & also wondered how good he or abe would be on real grass

DEnver Cousin says Freeney would be expected to sub in on  passing situations , & teach rookie, and ayers  in  more on run situations and lock down corner, so would be splitting time with Rookie, ayers & Freeney as Rookie learns and help avoid rookie wall unless rookie plays well from start like wolfe

Honestly IMO ,maybe 3mil plus incentives might be a smart way to go,and the draft is only way they replace him.I know your a Colts fan first,i like PM just like you want him to do well.You do have connections with the Denver people tho.I do like Freeney but hes not what he was and what he received last year was a gift,IMO never was worth that,nor was any other DE,that money was ridiculous

Honestly IMO ,maybe 3mil plus incentives might be a smart way to go,and the draft is only way they replace him.I know your a Colts fan first,i like PM just like you want him to do well.You do have connections with the Denver people tho.I do like Freeney but hes not what he was and what he received last year was a gift,IMO never was worth that,nor was any other DE,that money was ridiculous

I also agree last year was a gift, also that article when u read the comments, the Denver fans dontt think hes worth 6 million , I dont think hes worth 6 million, I cant belive Freeney thinks it and as  comments in article said either, not just cousin ,( who  was in as dad lives here )

typical article Comments

Plus, it's not as if anyone else is jumping at the bit to sign these free agent DEs

Denver could probably sign Abraham or another DE after the draft at probably less than half of what they’re asking for now. It’s a very deep draft at that position, total buyer’s market folks.

6 million a year?

Pass me some of that

if some other team does want to pay him 6...then he can go play elsewhere

I see this as nothing more than agent maneuvering

They have to justify their fees, right? If folks were lined up to pay Freeney “what he wants” then he’d be signed. He isn’t. This is posturing 101. I see us signing him for somewhere between $3-4.5 million per year with it possibly being a two year deal with options. The Saints are a smoke-screen to get the price up. He wants to be in Denver, or he would have signed somewhere else by now. He’s certainly visited enough other teams.

probably should have said hated and cursed whenever Peyton Beat Broncos but respected Peyton & now pure joy on his face when he talks of him

Yes but whats not to love the guy is just a class act and a true Pro ,but we already knew that didn't we :thmup:

So you want Freeny to take a pay cut like Doom? lol. No way they get him for 3M. But I do think the 6M is probably too high. Freeney may also think Denver is not the right fit either with the grass and thin air.

I thought Doom got 8mil a year?

Didn't he say he would have taken less than last year to stay in Indy?

I'm pretty sure all the prospective suitors are well aware of that.

I think he will end up signing somewhere perhaps after the draft but it won't be anywhere

near the $6M he's asking for now.

I too cannot see Dwight playing on the frozen turf & thin air of Denver.

I personally would like to see him in New Orleans. (my 2nd favorite team)

However, according to the NFL Network, it might not be that easy. Freeney is said to want $6 million a year -- and might be willing to wait until the summer to sign.  ((( i think he's getting a swelled head & should take what he canb get at this point and be happy ))) 

New Orleans also reportedly has interest in Freeney. ((as I noted in another Topic  but hes crazy to go to another 3-4 team even if indoors))

I can see Denver having issues with both Freeney’s financial demands and his timeline. The pass-rusher market has not been strong this offseason. Freeney is 33, coming off injuries and has been declining; I do not see Denver overpaying Freeney just to get him. It is not desperate for a top pass-rusher.

And Freeney could merely be posturing at this point.  ((  dont do it to long if true, u may lose in the end ))

After all, the Broncos have Von Miller, who has 30 sacks in his first two NFL seasons. But they do want to get Miller help, ideally before the summer.

The report also states that Denver is “pretty well out of the mix” for Atlanta pass-rusher John Abraham. Freeney and Abraham both visited Denver last week.

Denver will likely look at pass-rushers in the draft regardless of what happens on the free-agent market.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/56601/is-freeney-pricing-self-out-of-denver&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Lol that's what they said,ludicrous IMO

Let's be real here: At 33 and coming off a poor season with the Colts, Freeney won't sniff $6 million per year. Remember, Cliff Avril -- widely considered the best young pass rusher on the market (at least until Elvis Dumervil showed up) -- joined the Seattle Seahawks on a two-year contract that averages $6.5 million annually.

Freeney would be lucky to get half that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154120/article/dwight-freeneys-wishes-complicate-broncos-deal

Let's be real here: At 33 and coming off a poor season with the Colts, Freeney won't sniff $6 million per year. Remember, Cliff Avril -- widely considered the best young pass rusher on the market (at least until Elvis Dumervil showed up) -- joined the Seattle Seahawks on a two-year contract that averages $6.5 million annually.

Freeney would be lucky to get half that.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154120/article/dwight-freeneys-wishes-complicate-broncos-deal

Exactly

"It just makes good common sense to help the team in a balanced sort of way instead of going for broke with one guy." - Ryan Grigson

He got that quote from Bill Belichick except Bill says, "This is what your worth. Period. Agree or see the door." lol!

He got that quote from Bill.......but then you quote Bill saying something entirely different.

Whaaaaa?

He got that quote from Bill.......but then you quote Bill saying something entirely different.

Whaaaaa?

I missed big time with the humor. I was saying that Bill's says that quote publicly but to the player he says the quote I wrote. Trying to be too cute...

Congratulations to agent Tom Condon...agent for both Elvis Dumervill and Dwight Freeney

He maxed out cash and years for Dumervill

He created a larger marklet for Freeney by 'guiding' Dumervill to a new home

He maxed out his own money

He gave Baltimore an impact player to replace their defensive losses.

..If Denver signs Freeney for $3 or $4 million (he has no chance of getting $6 mil), they still get a cahs brreak from the Dumervill deal...

.....that's what an NFL agent does.

Hes also abrahams agent

Congratulations to agent Tom Condon...agent for both Elvis Dumervill and Dwight Freeney

He maxed out cash and years for Dumervill

He created a larger marklet for Freeney by 'guiding' Dumervill to a new home

He maxed out his own money

He gave Baltimore an impact player to replace their defensive losses.

..If Denver signs Freeney for $3 or $4 million (he has no chance of getting $6 mil), they still get a cahs brreak from the Dumervill deal...

.....that's what an NFL agent does.

With guaranteed money thrown at him, the cap number impact could be made minimal if the guaranteed money is mostly in this year.

Thus, if they guaranteed $5 out of $10 mil. (say for 2 years) and paid all of the guaranteed money this year with a salary $1 mil., the cap hit would only be $1 mil., correct?

That would apply to any team, IMO.

Denver needs Freeny but does Freeny want Denver? That is the mil dollar question...

There was an interview with Freeney after his release from the Colts. He made it sound as if he would prefer to play on an east coast team if possible, especially the Giants.

So who knows.

With that being said, not every player in the league is going to take discounts when fans want it either. A lot of these guys want the money more then people realize.....

Regrading Condom, before Doom was signed, an article in Denver post i put in some thread with link said a home run for him is Doom to Ravens, Freeney to Denver, & abe back with Falcons

Is he really?

Man, he's winning more than Tiger Woods........

Condon gives 'player' of the year a whole new meaning...

:cool: