Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New "Crown of the Helmet Rule"

King Colt

So it goes like no player can intentionally use their helmet outside the tackle box. The "tackle box" is from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's "end line". First, what is "the end line"?

This rule is striclty subjective and I don't yet see anywhere whether or not it is going to be reviewable. 

So you are on the four yard line of the oposition and you toss the ball to a running back and now the back cannot lower his head to get in to the endzone. This is a game changer to say the least. I think we will see more penalties this year than ever before in the history of the NFL. Five years from now runnig in to a player will be outlawed. This stinks!!!!!

So it goes like no player can intentionally use their helmet outside the tackle box. The "tackle box" is from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team's "end line". First, what is "the end line"?

This rule is striclty subjective and I don't yet see anywhere whether or not it is going to be reviewable. 

So you are on the four yard line of the oposition and you toss the ball to a running back and now the back cannot lower his head to get in to the endzone. This is a game changer to say the least. I think we will see more penalties this year than ever before in the history of the NFL. Five years from now runnig in to a player will be outlawed. This stinks!!!!!

Ummm, yes. Sort of.  If you toss (pitch) the ball out to a RB in space, or a run up the gut and he darts and escapes outside the hash marks and cuts up field out in space, you are correct.  He cannot lower his head and use the top of his helmet to torpedo a defender and drive him back (or into the end zone).   However, he CAN lower his pads and helmet, but while keeping the chin up some.  This way if he now drives his face mask or hairline of the helmet into the defender, it is totally legal.  They are basically taking away the non launching spearing out in space out of the game.  Want to torpedo your way into the end zone?  Do it in between the tackles where the Big Uglies are waiting on you, not out in space or on the corners where the little DB's are trying to muster the courage to make a tackle on a RB coming at them full steam.  Or get your chin up some and watch the collision as you make it happen.   ;)

Oh, and I don't think I've ever seen, or ever will, where a penalty flag is thrown that a coach can ask for a review about throwing the flag.  Only seen all the refs sometimes get together, discuss it, and either call the penalty or pick up the flag.  No coach or booth can do that though, IIRC.

It will have little effect on the game. People who haven't read/ heard the explanation for the rule are overeacting.

you really think so?..  just from my point of view, Low man wins, and I think it's just a habit that these guys aren't going to be able to change, or even be conscious about... I'm gonna have to look at the explanation again..

Either way I'm ready for Football, can't be any worse than watching all these ticky-tac calls going on in the NBA... they've lost it..

NFL has it's issues, and I freak out about something like a defenseless receiver being hit when a DB is just trying to make a play.. or a Roughing call when they barely touch the QB. and I know i'm rambling, but they still let them play and long story short, gosh I can't wait to watch our boys again!

There might be some penalties to start off, but it really is not going to have as much of an affect as some people made it out to be.  People were acting like you could no longer run up the gut anymore.

This really just affects those open field plays where the RB drops his helmet to run through a guy and those do not happen that often.  As mentioned above they can still drop their pads and muscle through a guy.  They just cannot drop their helmet and use the crown of it as a weapon to get through a guy.

There will probably be some growing pains like there was with the defenseless receiver penalty, but I really doubt it will be as bad as the penalties that they call to protect the QB.

you really think so?..  just from my point of view, Low man wins, and I think it's just a habit that these guys aren't going to be able to change, or even be conscious about... I'm gonna have to look at the explanation again..

Either way I'm ready for Football, can't be any worse than watching all these ticky-tac calls going on in the NBA... they've lost it..

NFL has it's issues, and I freak out about something like a defenseless receiver being hit when a DB is just trying to make a play.. or a Roughing call when they barely touch the QB. and I know i'm rambling, but they still let them play and long story short, gosh I can't wait to watch our boys again!

Well, when the rule was announced, the owners said that there we're only ten plays from last season that would have been penalized under the new rule. It's not as bad as people make it seem.