Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Painters Time

Greenoughrunner

Lets see...Collins has had how long to pick up our system and has what kind of offensive line in front of him?

lets see... Collins is 39yrs old... inaccurate, bad throwing motion, stagnant, and fumbles alot..... it dont matter if collins had every play memorized it wouldnt do much for his performance on the field.

I will quote myself from the other Curtis Painter thread...

We are going to sit here and bash Painter over and over and eventually he will be picked up by another team, who will start him. He will turn out to be great, and everyone will say "Gee, I guess we should have used him in that 2011 season." Just like what happened with Drew Brees.

Say what you want, but I would much rather start someone who is looking to prove himself and build his career, rather than someone who is just looking to get one last paycheck before he retires.

"Dear god, please let Curtis start and prove that he is the backup to Peyton that we all hope he is. Let Kerry Collins collect his paycheck while watching the Colts from the sideline as they pull themselves out of the ditch they have been pushed into."

This is ridiculous, all of you hated painter, thought he was garbage and now you think he is the saviour??? Collins is our best chance to win. The problem is this organization didnt do it due diligence and draft a quality bakcup. It is time to draft a guy to learn from Peyton, expensive yes however when PMoney retires it will be worth it. Besides our D is horrible and our coaching staff is IMO one of the worst in the league and I think right now coaching is our biggest issue aside from Peyton being out.

But hey what do we know.

This is ridiculous, all of you hated painter, thought he was garbage and now you think he is the saviour??? Collins is our best chance to win. The problem is this organization didnt do it due diligence and draft a quality bakcup. It is time to draft a guy to learn from Peyton, expensive yes however when PMoney retires it will be worth it. Besides our D is horrible and our coaching staff is IMO one of the worst in the league and I think right now coaching is our biggest issue aside from Peyton being out.

But hey what do we know.

Collins is a Mediocre QB who should have just stayed retired. He is one of the slowest, most inaccurate quarterbacks i've ever seen. He gives us absolutely NO chance to win any game... Did you see how many chances we had to come back against the Browns last week?? The Browns... And instead we just got 3 or 4 three and outs in a row? Thanks Collins. You sure do give us the best chance to win

Collins is a Mediocre QB who should have just stayed retired. He is one of the slowest, most inaccurate quarterbacks i've ever seen. He gives us absolutely NO chance to win any game... Did you see how many chances we had to come back against the Browns last week?? The Browns... And instead we just got 3 or 4 three and outs in a row? Thanks Collins. You sure do give us the best chance to win

Should we also bench Clark for his mistakes? He hasn't been anything but mediocre this year. Lets get rid of him too, aye?

I really want to know where all these Painter fans were a month ago when everyone in their mother (again other than Smitto) was screaming for us to sign anyone BUT Painter and then were out raged when he made the final roster over Orvlosky. No one pulled anything with the sudden change in direction by Colts fans did they?

I know fans don't want to hear this but it could very well be that guys like Link, Lacey, and Collins are the best of what we have at the moment which is why they are out there.

I find these calls for Painter... to be just flat-out pathetic reaching. He is not going to solve our problems. As John Waylon put it, absurd.

I find it funny how ppl think putting a younger QB in there isnt gonna make a difference... whats pretty evident in Collins case.. he's not mobile, bad throwing motion, fumbles the ball, holds on to the ball too long, inaccurate... All that causes problems for an offense.... Collins didnt pass 100yds until the 3rd quarter of the browns game... whose fault is that? its definitely not the Offensive lines fault cause they had decent protection the whole game, but since collins dont know how to get rid of the ball he gets sacked..... painter on the other hand is much more accurate, pretty mobile for a QB, has good throwing motion, knows the system better and the receivers look more comfortable with him in.. cant nobody deny that. Nothing about collins says a Colt at all.

David Garrard. Come on down. That's all I have to say

Why? What he does well is not asked of a QB in the Colts offense and what he struggles at is what we need a QB to do. Just because someone was once a starter in the league doesn't make them a good fit for our team. Also, there is the fact he would be a month behind Collins in terms of picking up the Colts offense.

Alot of non-Colts fans are giving me crap for saying the same thing, they are saying I haven't been patient and don't realize how complexity of this offense. I understand Collins isn't going to learn the playbook overnight, I just didn't see any improvement from week 1 to week 2, well a little, but the Browns are awful. He has not scored a touchdown for this team while the game was still on the line. Worst of all for Collins, I don't see a better performance against the Steelers. If he can't get it done this week, it might be time for a change. The Colts have winnable games against Kansas City and the Bengals coming up, this team needs to get it figured out by then.

Umm no

"-Colts quarterback Kerry Collins has a 3-1 career record against the Steelers while throwing five touchdowns and just one interception in those games."

From here.

He was not the starter in 2010.

Oh ok then, forgot how long he played for the titans... there was a game in 08 where they won big time... still this is not the titans and his last start agaisnt them was 10-13 lost then in 10 they also lost but he didnt start in that one... i dont see him doing any amazing things for the colts at all in this steelers game.

Collins might be stinking it up at this point but he still deserves some time to get acclimated with this offense. The man was brought in 2 weeks before the start of the season for God's sake. I mean what do you expect him to look like?

This is the road the Colts chose to go down due to their lack of forsight. Collins is the sacrificial lamb right now unfortunately. I say give him the first six games and see where we are at. If he is not panning out by then, I would go with Painter the rest of the way so he can get some valuable experience that will hopefully help in his maturation process. This of course is assuming two things. 1.) The Steelers don't force our hand Sunday by destroying Collins; and 2.) Manning doesn't play at all this year, like I expect.

Collins might be stinking it up at this point but he still deserves some time to get acclimated with this offense. The man was brought in 2 weeks before the start of the season for God's sake. I mean what do you expect him to look like?

This is the road the Colts chose to go down due to their lack of forsight. Collins is the sacrificial lamb right now unfortunately. I say give him the first six games and see where we are at. If he is not panning out by then, I would go with Painter the rest of the way so he can get some valuable experience that will hopefully help in his maturation process. This of course is assuming two things. 1.) The Steelers don't force our hand Sunday by destroying Collins; and 2.) Manning doesn't play at all this year, like I expect.

As for how much time he needs a couple of years ago it was reported that one needs two years to get the offense completely down for a QB. So it might take a while.

With that said, it makes a very valid arguement that if the Colts felt that was the case was Collins really the guy to go with?

I will say this had the Colts stuck with Painter though fans would probably be losing their minds right now. People liked Jacob Lacey more in the pre-season than Painter. They were going as far as they could to find any excuse they could to explain away the Packers game and were trying to see the fact that he didn't play in the Bengals game as a sign that he would be cut.

Frankly I don't think you are going to see a drastic change in the QB poistion rather the Colts play Collins or Painter. Remember the guy fans are calling for now is the same guy a good number of fans were saying doesn't even belong in the NFL just two weeks ago. Now he's supposed to be the answer? I don't think so.

Say what you want to say. But when we get embarrased by Pitt on National Television this Sunday mainly because of Collins giving the ball away 5 times and completing 30% of his passes. We'll see what all of you "Ohhh give Collins time to get used to the offense, He gives us the best chance to win!" people have to say after that.

Say what you want to say. But when we get embarrased by Pitt on National Television this Sunday mainly because of Collins giving the ball away 5 times and completing 30% of his passes. We'll see what all of you "Ohhh give Collins time to get used to the offense, He gives us the best chance to win!" people have to say after that.

Depends on how we lose the ball. If he throws an INT because the WR falls down again I am not going to blame him if he fumbles because Link misses a block I am not going to blame him.

It's not like we have Peyton Manning on the bench for Kerry Collins, it's Curtis Painter a guy that up to two weeks ago most Colts fans didn't think even deserved to be in the NFL. Honestly had he done anything to impress the Colts at all we wouldn't have brought Collins in the fact we did probably says a lot about how the Colts feel about Painter's talent level. Even if we made the change I don't think you would see a big change if a change at all in our talent level at the QB poistion.

Collins has proven that if you can make him comfortable in a system he can be a good QB in the NFL, Painter hasn't realy proven much of anything. He has a quarter against the Packers D who have given up 800 passing yards threw two games. That could very be a product of the Packers pass D just not being tha good. Our best chance to win might be staying the course with Collins even as bumpy as it is right now.

What if the Colts don't get embarrassed on national television and what if Collins doesn't give the ball away 5 times then what?