Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Vs. Pats 2007 Decision In "a Football Life"

ReMeDy

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d8227bb57/A-Football-Life-Belichick-s-gambles?module=HP11_content_stream

This was a great snippet from Belichick's documentary, detailing his thought-process on 4th downs, including the 4th & 2 decision vs. the Colts. Seems he does it out of toughness and faith for the team, but I still say he needs to be a tad more conservative.

It's funny how different he is in front of a podium in stark contrast to how he is in the film room hurling profanities and lecturing.

Yeah that was 2009...but I remember 2007 well. It still stings that we had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter only to let it slip away. It was a hugely hyped game as both teams were undefeated and the Colts were coming off the Super Bowl win. we had them almost buried until Brady started bombing it to Moss late....it would be the toughest test they had that season until the Ravens had them beat but then Rex Ryan saved their season by calling a dumb timeout...giving the Pats another shot (see? other coaches call dumb timeouts too)

We have had some epic battles with the Patriots. I found the Belichick docudrama very interesting and will watch more episodes. I have always intensely disliked him as a person. but he comes across a lot more human that I had pictured him. His relationship with his son is a very good one.

I can't stand the Pats as a team but I am a huge fan of BB and his ability to get the most out of his team from players who were average. Our coaches have been unable to tap the potential from quality players who should be performing better. The other thing is he can eiterh be convential during the game or go off the path while our team just does what it does and without Manning, it isn't much. Aside from the arrogance that is displayed from that group and the rediculous taping scandal garbage, I think BB is by far one of the best NFL coaches around the league.

Yeah that was 2009...but I remember 2007 well. It still stings that we had a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter only to let it slip away. It was a hugely hyped game as both teams were undefeated and the Colts were coming off the Super Bowl win. we had them almost buried until Brady started bombing it to Moss late....it would be the toughest test they had that season until the Ravens had them beat but then Rex Ryan saved their season by calling a dumb timeout...giving the Pats another shot (see? other coaches call dumb timeouts too)

That 2007 game was brutal. If I am not mistaken the Colts went to San Diego the next week and had so many injuries they could not field a 53 man roster. Peyton threw 3 or 4 picks but came back and if not for a Vinatieri chip shot miss, would have won the game.

That 2007 game was brutal. If I am not mistaken the Colts went to San Diego the next week and had so many injuries they could not field a 53 man roster. Peyton threw 3 or 4 picks but came back and if not for a Vinatieri chip shot miss, would have won the game.

If by 3 or 4 picks, you mean SIX, then yes. That was one of the most frustrating games ever.

I remember that vividly. I was so pulling for the Ravens to win (don't do that often).

As a long-time Pats fan, I liked that 4th and 2 then and, after seeing the Video, like it even more now. Always one step ahead, he prepared the team ahead of time for the possibility. Hos decision showed a belief in the team and showed guts as a coach. I remember he had talked once about not letting the possibility of failure prevent you from striving for success.That was a perfect illustration.

As a long-time Pats fan, I liked that 4th and 2 then and, after seeing the Video, like it even more now. Always one step ahead, he prepared the team ahead of time for the possibility. Hos decision showed a belief in the team and showed guts as a coach. I remember he had talked once about not letting the possibility of failure prevent you from striving for success.That was a perfect illustration.

How can you quantify a stupid, unprecedented decision that directly resulted in a stunning flame-out loss as a good decision?

I would argue that his decision actually showed a stunning lack of faith in his defense, rather than a "belief in the team". Anything he said afterward was just backpedaling blather.

I liked Belichick's decision to go for it, but just like our game against Atlanta last week, if you know you're going to go for it on 4th down (or have to in our case), I thought he should have ran the ball on 3rd down. Would have given him a better chance at positive yardage. Same with our game last week. As well as our line and Shady were playing, they should have ran it on 3rd and 3.

Peyton threw 6 picks that game.

And we STILL had a chance to win, if not for Adam Shankatieri missing from extra point range. ;)

But really, he missed from point blank. Yeah, it was raining, and I'm sure the field was a mess, but you have one job to do. And to win the game. And you're Adam Vinatieri.

And we STILL had a chance to win, if not for Adam Shankatieri missing from extra point range. ;)

But really, he missed from point blank. Yeah, it was raining, and I'm sure the field was a mess, but you have one job to do. And to win the game. And you're Adam Vinatieri.

Wasn't he injured to a pretty bad extent at that point?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d8227bb57/A-Football-Life-Belichick-s-gambles?module=HP11_content_stream

This was a great snippet from Belichick's documentary, detailing his thought-process on 4th downs, including the 4th & 2 decision vs. the Colts. Seems he does it out of toughness and faith for the team, but I still say he needs to be a tad more conservative.

It's funny how different he is in front of a podium in stark contrast to how he is in the film room hurling profanities and lecturing.

As much as I hate to say it BB is a great coach and he has a sack.

How can you quantify a stupid, unprecedented decision that directly resulted in a stunning flame-out loss as a good decision?

I would argue that his decision actually showed a stunning lack of faith in his defense, rather than a "belief in the team". Anything he said afterward was just backpedaling blather.

Statistically, the Pats had a better chance going for it on 4th. BB knows football and he has done it several times in similar situations (e.g. 30 yard line in 4th quarter, own 40 yard line late 3rd quarter, etc) so its not "unprecedented" It's worked most of the time. Last week, he chose to go for it on 4th down in 4th quarter on around the 40 against the Chargers rather than use the backup punter. Unprecedented?

BTW Was the Saints decision to open up the 2nd half in the SB against the Colts "a stupid unprecedented decision"? :)4th and 2 was more likely to work than that.

BBTW You can be sure that, if sitting at 15-0, BB wouldnt "rest his starters" for fear that the pressure of a perfect season would be too much for the team to bear...

Statistically, the Pats had a better chance going for it on 4th. BB knows football and he has done it several times in similar situations (e.g. 30 yard line in 4th quarter, own 40 yard line late 3rd quarter, etc) so its not "unprecedented" It's worked most of the time. Last week, he chose to go for it on 4th down in 4th quarter on around the 40 against the Chargers rather than use the backup punter. Unprecedented?

BTW Was the Saints decision to open up the 2nd half in the SB against the Colts "a stupid unprecedented decision"? :)4th and 2 was more likely to work than that.

BBTW You can be sure that, if sitting at 15-0, BB wouldnt "rest his starters" for fear that the pressure of a perfect season would be too much for the team to bear...

Did you not watch any of the show? He already expressed regret over starting Welker in 2009 in the last game of the season (Welker went down with a torn ACL in that game, and the Ravens trounced them in the first playoff game). Granted they weren't undefeated that season, but 2007 was different coming off Spygate and the Pats were trying to stick it to the NFL in general. And we all saw how that perfect regular season got them in the playoffs...Karma, 18-1 b/c of a never before, never again circus catch by David Tyree (who isn't even playing anymore, is he?)

I am SICK of all you people that whine about resting our starters after going 14-0. 16-0 had been done before. And there is no guarantee the Colts would have gone 19-0. What if we had lost Wayne, or Collie in that cold, snowy December game? That would have been fun. Oh and we LOST the Super Bowl, btw...which would have put us at 18-1; that dubious achievement I'd rather have the Pats hold ALONE forever.

Did you not watch any of the show? He already expressed regret over starting Welker in 2009 in the last game of the season (Welker went down with a torn ACL in that game, and the Ravens trounced them in the first playoff game). Granted they weren't undefeated that season, but 2007 was different coming off Spygate and the Pats were trying to stick it to the NFL in general. And we all saw how that perfect regular season ended.

I am SICK of all you people that whine about resting our starters after going 14-0. 16-0 had been done before. And there is no guarantee the Colts would have gone 19-0. What if we had lost Wayne, or Collie in that cold, snowy December game? That would have been fun. Oh and we LOST the Super Bowl, btw...which would have put us at 18-1; that dubious achievement I'd rather have the Pats hold ALONE forever.

So you would rather be 16-3, and be viewed forever as gutless, than be 18-1?

I just don't understand it. What exactly is supposed to be so embarrassing about winning 18 football games in a season?

That was a fantastic show. Not only that, it was amazing watching Belichick discuss something, like the 4-2 in week 3 and it reared it's head in a game against us. Or the Wens meeting before the Welker injury, when he went through the list of people going to sit, Brady, wilfork, moss, and after naming a few realizing that Welker was still out there and how he was going to be coming off at some point.

5 rings speak for themselves, so hats off to Bill Belichick, one of the greatest.

So you would rather be 16-3, and be viewed forever as gutless, than be 18-1?

I just don't understand it. What exactly is supposed to be so embarrassing about winning 18 football games in a season?

The goal was a Super Bowl, not a record. I don't agree with The Decision, but I don't think pointing to the Patriots 18-1 season has anything to do with us. Both teams lost the Super Bowl. Both teams would give up any number of regular season wins in exchange for that last game going their way. This really is water under a bridge.

Talking about something that happened last week? Totally different situation, but when I say "unprecedented", I meant at the time, which was years ago. It was an unprecedented display of arrogance, or, situational ignorance. They had the lead and the clock was on their side. He got arrogant and it bit him, hard.

Yes, that was stupid, A fine line it is, between gutsy and stupid. Often the line is defined by the success. Robbing a bank of a quarter of a million dollars is stupid. If you get away with it, does it become "gutsy" and "intelligent"? If you get caught can you claim it was intelligent because it worked before?

No....of course not. It worked to their favor, not by way of strategy, but rather by way of luck.

Blah blah and blah. Also blah blahbitty blah blah, so blah blah and blah.