Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Talent Upside Vs Plateau

chad72

My friend and I had a good lunch room discussion. When you have someone like Linkenbach come into an average O-line situation, he can seem like an improvement when he gets here. But if he had little upside to begin with (Linkenbach is a UDFA for a reason), there is a plateau that the player reaches far more quickly unless he has immense desire to overachieve beyond his potential talent upside determined by talent evaluators during draft time (CJ would be an example). Linkenbach probably has reached the plateau and while that plateau may be fine with Peyton as QB, it is exposed more with Kerry Collins. Ijalana may not have the experience now but when the expected upside materializes, the finished product will look better than Linkenbach can provide.

O-line normally, you get what you pay for with a higher draft pick, it seems like the case most of the time. Would that be a valid way of viewing it?

Yes it would...some draftniks had Ijalana ranked as good or better than Costanzo...I don't see him being held back as a good move right now. The way this season is going, why not throw him in, get him game experience, and have him ready for 2012. The line for 2012, if Saturday has anything left, would be really solid with an experienced Ijilana/Costanzo

My friend and I had a good lunch room discussion. When you have someone like Linkenbach come into an average O-line situation, he can seem like an improvement when he gets here. But if he had little upside to begin with (Linkenbach is a UDFA for a reason), there is a plateau that the player reaches far more quickly unless he has immense desire to overachieve beyond his potential talent upside determined by talent evaluators during draft time (CJ would be an example). Linkenbach probably has reached the plateau and while that plateau may be fine with Peyton as QB, it is exposed more with Kerry Collins. Ijalana may not have the experience now but when the expected upside materializes, the finished product will look better than Linkenbach can provide.

O-line normally, you get what you pay for with a higher draft pick, it seems like the case most of the time. Would that be a valid way of viewing it?

Well, I've always looked at the draft as rounds 1-3 you draft production, rounds 4-7 you draft potential, so immediately you may get what you pay for so to speak, but not so much in the long run. Especially in the case of olineman, because there can be valid reasons for the lower draft.. in the case of CJ he only played tackle for two years, Diem came from small school, Reitz didn't even play college ball. A lot also depends on what the team wants in their olineman. For example, many teams value upper body strength in lineman. The Colts value more lower body strength, hip flexibility and footwork.

With Linkonhisback I still have no idea why he's on an NFL team. (And as you may recall, I have been wondering that since the 2010 preseason). He lacks upper body strength but at least he makes up for it with poor lower body strength, horrible footwork and inability to read a defense. And, sadly, I think he has reached his maximum potential.

With Linkonhisback I still have no idea why he's on an NFL team. He lacks upper body strength but at least he makes up for it with poor lower body strength, horrible footwork and inability to read a defense. And, sadly, I think he has reached his maximum potential.

OUCH. :D

At least he probably has good stamina, what with all the sprinting backwards towards his missed assignments. And he's CONSISTENT, have to give him that.

we have to bring ijalana along slowly he came from a small program and is not used to the speed of the upper pass rushers like constanzo went again robert quinn and high ranked pass rushers ijalana dominated at a smaller division so he didnt have to work on the fundamentals as mush cause he was quicker and stronger than everyone else so he gonna take so time to get ready do want to break him like ugoh

coaches see something in link , inside info they worked with him all week, look for him to have a good game this week

Don't they work with him...umm, every week?

I think Jim is either Jim Caldwell posing as a poster, or a poster posing as Jim Caldwell and making comments that may sound like him in sarcasm :). All his posts suggest that all the mistakes are correctable, the usual coach speak that we hear, regurgitated in the guise of a forum poster. I would have to go with the latter :).

I think Jim is either Jim Caldwell posing as a poster, or a poster posing as Jim Caldwell and making comments that may sound like him in sarcasm :). All his posts suggest that all the mistakes are correctable, the usual coach speak that we hear, regurgitated in the guise of a forum poster. I would have to go with the latter :).

Oh, OK. I get it. haha

you caught me, i was just practicing sounding like a coach in case the colts starting looking for one. they might offer me the job,i work cheap and i am an undrafted free agent.

coaches see something in link , inside info they worked with him all week, look for him to have a good game this week

really

Really?

really?????

because a RT can go from being the worst starting T in the NFL aganist the fricken Browns who hardly ever get pash rush....

into holding his own against Woodley and the Steelers Defense, just because they worked with him for a week :stop: