Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR that has gotten high praise this week on shows

A guy that I wouldnt mind at all if we dont grab a guy in the first would be Swope in the third if he's still there. He is just a natural catcher has that deceptive speed and is faster than alot of people though plus he can create after the catch. Hes got that RB back round. Sounds like a good fit in our Offense.

I love Swope, he looks to me like Austin Collie with Welker's toughness.

He's an ex-RB so he is tough as nails and has exceptional hands. He is my first choice reciever for us. 

Like your posts dude. However, TY was'nt a slot in college. he was the #1 wide-out in Florida International. Most importantly, unless Austin goes to the Pats, Broncos, Panthers, Colts, Redskins, Seahawks ect... he wont be  all that at all. Remember welker wasnt drafted by New England. And remember Early Doucet? a supposable Super Slot guy that fell into oblivion with the horrible QB's at Arizona.

Austin played all around the place for West Virginia, very similar to how Percy Harvin was utilized by the Vikings. I cannot see any outcome where Austin does not be successful in the NFL, he is just too talented, especially considering all the protection WRs get now from the officials... that has real benefited smaller receivers and is probably a big reason for the high numbers of slot guys in the league now.

That being said I don't really want Austin myself... I just do not think you can say he isn't as good as Hilton when he clearly is coming into the league with a much higher pedigree.

Personally I do not think we should look at another small receiver.  He could be better than TY but I think it is a mute point.  We need a bigger receiver like we have all been wanting for years now.  Its funny that we can possibly get what we have all wanted but now people want to do the opposite.

Let's say Reggie retires after next year, then what? Oh, three straight 5'8 receivers drafted left. This discussion is ridiculous.

For starters, I would bet my house that Reggie is staying after the season.

I didn't say they have to draft Tavon, actually I would  prefer size; I just said that I wouldn't be * off getting the most dynamic player in the draft. It wouldn't be 3 5'9 (not 5'8), because if Reggie retires after the season, I highly doubt the Colts wouldn't sign anyone.

Colts going receiver in the first is far from ridiculous. 

Don't want Tavon. Hilton is just as good and proven. The fact that we got TY in the 3rd round was crazy.

Ditto.  The fact we gave SF our 3rd at 97 and a 5th just to move up to #92 (5 spots) to get him show Grigs couldn't believe he was still there, wanted him badly, and didn't think he'd get past at least one of those 5 teams ahead of us.  Many folks were scratching their heads when we went Allen / Hilton in the 3rd.  So far so good for Grigson.  If this draft and his FA's pan out, the world is truly his oyster!   :)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tavon-austin?id=2539336

The report from NFL.com says slot receiver, Welker had one of the best QB'sin the game throwing to him so thats  a bit different then some team that Tavon will likely go to given his draft grade, Also just because he gets a high number of td's dont qualify him as a red zone threat, There are alot of so called dynamic players in the NFL, Prime examples,

Devin Hester

Reggie Bush

Jacoby Jones

Percy Harvin

to name a few, if Austin is as good as some say he is then hopefully he we will be the Percy Harvin of this list but I could also just as easily see him being the Devin Hester of this list, a guy that can be a deadly return guy and be an open field threat catching the ball but dont see him being mentioned as an excellent outside receiver 

Austin has lined up at outside, he spent the majority of the time at slot, but he can easily play wide, I've seen it.

Whether Welker has Brady (or Manning) or not, he's still one of the best receivers in the game, and is dangerous anywhere on the field, whether it be in the slot, outside or as a returner.

The actual number doesn't mean much, but the fact that most of them have come in the redzone does. My point is that just because you're not big doesn't mean you can't be a threat. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you see redzone threats as big guys running fades and catching balls high in the air (I hope you kind of understand that). When someone says redzone threat, that's the first thing I think of, but in reality, that's not the case. So many small guys are great threats. 

Percy Harvin is really the only guy you can really compare him too. There isn't anyone in the league (besides Harvin of course) that can play wide receiver and running back. Woodhead could probably do both, and has in the past occasionally, but he's nowhere near Harvin. Oh and Austin is a better receiver than Hester was in college.