Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WR that has gotten high praise this week on shows

Tavon Austin

I listened to the podcast of first draft with Kiper and McShay from the 3/19 show and in the second half of the show they both rave about this guy. Kiper even talks about seeing the guy back in high school.  They mentioned him being 5'9" and his durability but also said the guy never missed a practice in college.  Which they found pretty amazing because guys miss for all kind of reasons but not this guy. Very focused very dialed in.

On a different note they thought that rounds 2,3,4 are where teams can really clean up this year.

On Path to the draft they said that Mayock thought that Austin was the most dynamic player in the draft this year.

Greg Cosell empathically said that he was his favorite offensive player in the draft.  He went on to say that he would be surprised if he made it out of the top 10.

Some mocks have him going in the 20 range.  So the obvious question, if he is there at 24 would you take a shot?  My initial thought is he seems so similar to TY that the Colts should go a different direction.  However with so many liking this guy do the Colts just take him even though he isn't a big receiver?

A guy that I wouldnt mind at all if we dont grab a guy in the first would be Swope in the third if he's still there. He is just a natural catcher has that deceptive speed and is faster than alot of people though plus he can create after the catch. Hes got that RB back round. Sounds like a good fit in our Offense.

I think the view is Austin is better than Hilton. Perhaps a lot better.

That's the feeling I get reading various websites...

Does that matter? TY is great, no reason to get a clone of his just because he might be slightly better.

Does that matter? TY is great, no reason to get a clone of his just because he might be slightly better.

What if he's a LOT better?    I'm asking....   if he's a LOT better,  wouldn't that be a nice piece for Luck?

I'm mostly playing Devils Advocate here....   but I can think of plenty of other players that I wouldn't want before Austin's name came up....

Remember,  I'm the leading advocate of trading down....   so again,  I'm just kicking this around with you...

I think TY is all around better, may not be better in any 1 particular catgory but I think Tavon will be just a slot receiver

Is this a joke? Austin is one of the most hyped slot receivers ever coming out of the draft... and is film is just outrageous, he could not be stopped in college football. How is TY anything more than 'just a slot receiver'?

Is this a joke? Austin is one of the most hyped slot receivers ever coming out of the draft... and is film is just outrageous, he could not be stopped in college football. How is TY anything more than 'just a slot receiver'?

5'8" lacks ideal size most scouts seem to look for an outside receiver and inconsistent with hands, will never be considered a huge red zone target do to size, Im sure he will be a play maker do to his speed but dont think he will be some teams #1 or 2 wr soon, maybe down the road but not likely out of the gate 

5'8" lacks ideal size most scouts seem to look for an outside receiver and inconsistent with hands, will never be considered a huge red zone target do to size, Im sure he will be a play maker do to his speed but dont think he will be some teams #1 or 2 wr soon, maybe down the road but not likely out of the gate 

There are so many wide receivers that are small and play on the outside. Soooo many. Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, even Welker (when he lines up there). Just because you're small doesn't mean you can't play wide. 

Plus, Austin is the most dynamic player in the draft according to the experts, and has lined up as a wideout. So, he can definitely play the outside spot, and he can play the slot position, but saying he's just a slot receiver is just not true. 

Oh, and he's not a redzone threat? I think his high number of touchdowns disagree with that, and just because your short, it doesn't mean your automatically terrible in the redzone. Look at how dangerous Welker is in the redzone; a little arrow pass and you're done.

Now, do I think the Colts should draft him? That's different. I'd like to see the Colts get size at the position (if they go there at all) and Austin clearly doesn't have great size. Would I be upset if they picked him? Definitely not.

What if he's a LOT better? I'm asking.... if he's a LOT better, wouldn't that be a nice piece for Luck?

I'm mostly playing Devils Advocate here.... but I can think of plenty of other players that I wouldn't want before Austin's name came up....

Remember, I'm the leading advocate of trading down.... so again, I'm just kicking this around with you...

I don't care how much better he is. First, there's no way to know that. Second, there are far too many holes on the team to double up on positions that are covered.

I think the view is Austin is better than Hilton.   Perhaps a lot better.

That's the feeling I get reading various websites...

Austin played a more mainstream college with a mainstream QB. Of course, he has a better highlight reel. Put TY Hilton on Baylor, Oregon, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, etc, and he'd have an Tavon Austin like Reel as well. 

I don't care how much better he is. First, there's no way to know that. Second, there are far too many holes on the team to double up on positions that are covered.

WR is a position of need. Going WR in the first should definitely be considered. The Colts have TY and Reggie. WHo's the 3rd guy, Lavon? In a WCO, the Colts will be using a lot of 3 WR plays and even 4 WR plays, which means getting quality WRs is important. 

Nothing about TY though been better though... thanks for addressing my point

I would not mind Austin at all...     Can never have enough play makers.    

Swope....     Mayock has reported that this kid has had MULTIPLE concussion issues at TAM.      Stay away....

A guy that I wouldnt mind at all if we dont grab a guy in the first would be Swope in the third if he's still there. He is just a natural catcher has that deceptive speed and is faster than alot of people though plus he can create after the catch. Hes got that RB back round. Sounds like a good fit in our Offense.

WR is a position of need. Going WR in the first should definitely be considered. The Colts have TY and Reggie. WHo's the 3rd guy, Lavon? In a WCO, the Colts will be using a lot of 3 WR plays and even 4 WR plays, which means getting quality WRs is important.

Let's say Reggie retires after next year, then what? Oh, three straight 5'8 receivers drafted left. This discussion is ridiculous.

I would not mind Austin at all... Can never have enough play makers.

Swope.... Mayock has reported that this kid has had MULTIPLE concussion issues at TAM. Stay away....

Yeah that's not good. But alot of receivers in this draft have some sort of Injury history. Its a risk with alot of guys. We would just need to do our due dillagence medically. Sometimes you have to take a risk. Now it needs to be reasonable meaning don't take a guy of has only been healthy 50% of the time. But some risks on a smaller scale are gonna be taken. Swope is great talent.

There are so many wide receivers that are small and play on the outside. Soooo many. Steve Smith, Desean Jackson, even Welker (when he lines up there). Just because you're small doesn't mean you can't play wide. 

Plus, Austin is the most dynamic player in the draft according to the experts, and has lined up as a wideout. So, he can definitely play the outside spot, and he can play the slot position, but saying he's just a slot receiver is just not true. 

Oh, and he's not a redzone threat? I think his high number of touchdowns disagree with that, and just because your short, it doesn't mean your automatically terrible in the redzone. Look at how dangerous Welker is in the redzone; a little arrow pass and you're done.

Now, do I think the Colts should draft him? That's different. I'd like to see the Colts get size at the position (if they go there at all) and Austin clearly doesn't have great size. Would I be upset if they picked him? Definitely not.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/tavon-austin?id=2539336

The report from NFL.com says slot receiver, Welker had one of the best QB'sin the game throwing to him so thats  a bit different then some team that Tavon will likely go to given his draft grade, Also just because he gets a high number of td's dont qualify him as a red zone threat, There are alot of so called dynamic players in the NFL, Prime examples,

Devin Hester

Reggie Bush

Jacoby Jones

Percy Harvin

to name a few, if Austin is as good as some say he is then hopefully he we will be the Percy Harvin of this list but I could also just as easily see him being the Devin Hester of this list, a guy that can be a deadly return guy and be an open field threat catching the ball but dont see him being mentioned as an excellent outside receiver 

He's nearly 5'9"...   and TY is 5'9"...   TY may be roughly 3/8 of an inch taller....     but Austin is faster than TY,   and quicker....

All this fuss about Austin.....   and from my view of things....   if we want a solid #2 receiver,  we trade into the top of the 2nd round and focus on a WR like Patton of Louisiana Tech of Woods at USC.     Both are compared to,  Reggie Wayne... 

So,  there would be your solid #2,  plus we pick-up some needed additional picks.

Just some food for thought..........

Yeah that's not good. But alot of receivers in this draft have some sort of Injury history. Its a risk with alot of guys. We would just need to do our due dillagence medically. Sometimes you have to take a risk. Now it needs to be reasonable meaning don't take a guy of has only been healthy 50% of the time. But some risks on a smaller scale are gonna be taken. Swope is great talent.

And I just did a look up on the internet on CBS sports and the Aggies official athletic site and there were no mentions of numerous concussions or anything regarding a concussion. Now maybe he has had some Concussion symptoms who knows. But e also played 13 games last year so he was apparently healthy last year. Then his junior year he was outstanding. So he looks pretty good to me.

No. A small speed guy we already have by three. youre forgetting who the QB is. Like peyton, He can make anybody look good. Reggie Waye was the last #1 WR we got in the draft and that was like 2002?  We've had years of WR's from the 4th 5th, 6th, and 7th picks and we went to two superbowls and three AFC championship games. Plus, and a BIG plus, we're running the WCO. , which is a very adaptable offense. We dont need a WR. I thought Irsay was wasting money on a Big F/A in all those tweets. im glad we came up empty because we're already full of talent.

Like your posts dude. However, TY was'nt a slot in college. he was the #1 wide-out in Florida International. Most importantly, unless Austin goes to the Pats, Broncos, Panthers, Colts, Redskins, Seahawks ect... he wont be  all that at all. Remember welker wasnt drafted by New England. And remember Early Doucet? a supposable Super Slot guy that fell into oblivion with the horrible QB's at Arizona.

Hilton was clocked at a 4.34 40 at his pro day 

Pro day 40 times are almost always faster than the combine because it's hand timing vs. electronic timing.

If you're trying to convey that TY Hilton is the same player as Tavon Austin because they're roughly the same size and same speed,  etc....    then, I'll just say this...

Hilton went roughly 90th in the draft....    Austin is likely to go around 20th.   And it's not because one went to Florida International and the other went to West Virginia.    That doesn't account for 70 spots in drafting order.   NFL scouts see Austin as a much better player.

But, again,  I'll repeat....    I'm making Devils Advocate arguments here....   I remain solidly in the camp for trading down and coming up with a solid high #2 pick plus additional picks.    I think it makes more sense than ever....   whether we take a WR or, an OG,  or an OLB,  or a Safety....     Trade Down.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

just couldnt stay healthy

loved that lateral to Reggie though, that play is one of my all time favorite plays ...

puke may be on the harsh side...

That guy was never worth a first. To me he is the kinda guy that goes in the 3rd - 4th round

What's the NFL all about? Making plays, moving the chains, and putting points on the board. "He's not tall enough to be a redzone threat". That's why they drafted Coby Fleener and Dwayne Allen. People get caught up to much in the numbers. I understand the desire to have a Meagtron on the team, but I would much rather have a  playmaker than DHB or some have mentioned Randy ( I play when I feel like it) Moss. RGHFFF I threw up a little

Pro day 40 times are almost always faster than the combine because it's hand timing vs. electronic timing.

If you're trying to convey that TY Hilton is the same player as Tavon Austin because they're roughly the same size and same speed,  etc....    then, I'll just say this...

Hilton went roughly 90th in the draft....    Austin is likely to go around 20th.   And it's not because one went to Florida International and the other went to West Virginia.    That doesn't account for 70 spots in drafting order.   NFL scouts see Austin as a much better player.

But, again,  I'll repeat....    I'm making Devils Advocate arguments here....   I remain solidly in the camp for trading down and coming up with a solid high #2 pick plus additional picks.    I think it makes more sense than ever....   whether we take a WR or, an OG,  or an OLB,  or a Safety....     Trade Down.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Agree on the trading down idea at this point but a decision like that in my opinion should not be made up till very close to our pick  . As to Austin, Im not saying he dont deserve to go in the first round or that he is not a better player, in my opinion Hilton and Austin bring similar skills to the table, I looked it up:

Tavons career stats: 29 TD's 3413 yards receiving on 288 receptions

Hiltons career stats: 192 receptions 24 td's 3531 receiving yards 

Much much more similar then people think, The difference? One went to WV while the other went to Florida International.......who I did not even know had a football program until I heard about T.Y. ......I thought they were a primarily basketball school

Stats accordng to ESPN

Agree on the trading down idea at this point but a decision like that in my opinion should not be made up till very close to our pick  . As to Austin, Im not saying he dont deserve to go in the first round or that he is not a better player, in my opinion Hilton and Austin bring similar skills to the table, I looked it up:

Tavons career stats: 29 TD's 3413 yards receiving on 288 receptions

Hiltons career stats: 192 receptions 24 td's 3531 receiving yards 

Much much more similar then people think, The difference? One went to WV while the other went to Florida International.......who I did not even know had a football program until I heard about T.Y. ......I thought they were a primarily basketball school

Stats accordng to ESPN

Hey,   I don't want the Colts to finalize any trade down possibilities until they are on the clock.    I suppose they could do it sooner, maybe earlier in the day,   but I would be surprised.....