Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Idea Just Crossed My Mind

pizza guy

Let's say the Colts do get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and they want to trade it. Let's discuss possible trading partners.

I will start with the San Francisco 49ers. A team with some dynamic players and a bright future, but one glaring question: are they really happy with their QB situation? I don't think they are. Consider then, their head coach, Jim Harbaugh, just left Stanford to lead the Niners. Stanford, of course, is where this year's consensus #1 pick is coming from. So Harbaugh may just get excited and want HIS quarterback on his new team.

If the Niners call and offer Patrick Willis and a few draft picks, is anyone going to oppose that deal?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's say the Colts do get the #1 overall pick in the draft, and they want to trade it. Let's discuss possible trading partners.

I will start with the San Francisco 49ers. A team with some dynamic players and a bright future, but one glaring question: are they really happy with their QB situation? I don't think they are. Consider then, their head coach, Jim Harbaugh, just left Stanford to lead the Niners. Stanford, of course, is where this year's consensus #1 pick is coming from. So Harbaugh may just get excited and want HIS quarterback on his new team.

If the Niners call and offer Patrick Willis and a few draft picks, is anyone going to oppose that deal?

Heck NO I wouldn't oppose that - if they are high draft picks. I doubt they'd part with Willis, but ................. what did we give up for Jeff George? These things happen when people are highly motivated for the wrong reasons.

The only problems are that I like Jim Harbaugh and that he isn't a fool (not necessarily in that order).

HECK NO!!! I'd take that any day of the week...highly unlikely they'd part with Willis though. This definitely is an interesting scenario. To be honest, I think there are more teams we could workout an excellent deal to trade down with then there are that wouldn't be interested.

Cleveland - Same QB situation as San Fran. They're probably content with McCoy but I'm sure they'd take an opportunity to upgrade. The play with McCoy was to groom him but he was forced to start much earlier than they'd wanted him to. Plus, they are one of 2 teams with 2 first round picks this year.

New England - The most unlikely but hear me out. NE also has 2 first round picks. They've also been trying desperately for the past several years to give Tom Brady that elite #1 WR. Moss worked out as a temporary solution and now they're trying Ocho. From what I'm seeing reported though this may not be working out so well in the lockerroom. Would they be willing to trade up to nab an Alshon Jeffrey, who will likely be a top 5 pick? Also, now that they're switching more to a 4-3, they could use an elite pass rusher. Sure they can probably get a good one later on but would they be willing to trade up for Quinton Coples? I wouldn't count it as completely out of the realm of possibility like some people would...still unlikely though.

Cincinnati - Yes they now have Andy Dalton and due to there simply being no other option, he's now they're starter. How he plays throughout the year determines how likely it would be to cut a deal with them. Even if Dalton has a sub-par to decent year, chances are he could be much improved with some coaching and mentoring. A trade to include picks and Dalton and we groom Dalton with Manning? I believe Polian said he'd have taken Dalton if he were still available when we drafted in the second round.

Seattle, Buffalo, Miami, Kansas City, Washington, Minnesota, San Fran, and to a lesser extent Dallas, Denver, Oakland or possibly even Chicago could all show interest in Luck.

Sorry but if the Colts have the #1 pick they must take Luck, no questions asked. Any other move would be sheer stupidity.

+1. He's too good a talent that you have to take that risk. Polian has been busting left and right anyway. Maybe Luck can make him look better than he is like Peyton has.

HECK NO!!! I'd take that any day of the week...highly unlikely they'd part with Willis though.

Heh, I got my "HECK NO w/o Willis" in just a little bit faster.

This appears to be the primary benefit of my putting dramatically less thought into my answer. haha

I've seen you mention Cleveland before, and that seems to make the most sense. Getting that extra number #1 in THIS draft (plus hopefully another pick or two) would be much more useful than getting more lower picks or future picks. With Peyton's situation, the future is NOW! And we have enough decent players, the hope would be to draft multiple impact players (like FOUR between ours and the trade) to try and push the team over the top in Peyton's final years.

Do you know whose pick Cleveland owns?

Of course the Raiders are always ripe to be fleeced. If they'd care to trade their next five first rounders or something you'd probably have to listen.

Sorry but if the Colts have the #1 pick they must take Luck, no questions asked. Any other move would be sheer stupidity.

Disagree 100%, but I've made the point in many threads why I feel Luck not only is not the best fit for our team but also why trading down would be the smarter option and don't feel like typing it all out again. If you want to know why I feel that way check the "if colts wind up with #1 pick" thread.

It's way early to start predicting this just becuase we don't kno where teams are going to be picking, what poistions are of need for a team looking to trade. What players are there. What are our poistions of need and what poistions are there. Also the biggest factor that causes a trade in the draft is does a team fall in love with a player that they have to have him. We don't know any of that right now.

I can understand talking trading the pick but as far as figuring out what exactly the trade is going to be is a little much at this point.

The Colts are going to miss the playoffs this year, count on that. Hopefully they can get a top 5 selection in the draft and beef up on the defensive side of the ball. Peyton will be back and the offense will do their thing as usual. Be patient everybody we will be back. Too bad for this year with the SB being in Indy and all.

It is just not that simple. If Manning gets a clean bill of health and they expect him to finish his contract, trading the # 1 pick to bolster a roster full of holes seems a reasonable choice, especially given that Luck's sole job for 3 years would be to hold a clipboard.

I can see those wanting Luck. It makes sense. But the other option also makes a great deal of sense too.

and what if Luck looks at the Colts and goes I don't want to sit behind Peyton Manning for four years I am going back to school for my senior year?

There is absolutely no way that happens. He will graguate this yr. and he already took a huge risk going back this yr.. He lost out on millions and millions of dollars and to risk a permanant or long time injury to go back for his redshirted yr. when he's already recieved his degree would be nonsensical. If the colts had the 1st pick and he didn't want to come here(which I highly doubt) we could then work out a trade for a kings ransom from some desperate team.

There is absolutely no way that happens. He will graguate this yr. and he already took a huge risk going back this yr.. He lost out on millions and millions of dollars and to risk a permanant or long time injury to go back for his redshirted yr. when he's already recieved his degree would be nonsensical. If the colts had the 1st pick and he didn't want to come here(which I highly doubt) we could then work out a trade for a kings ransom from some desperate team.

If he doesn't want to sit for four years there is very much a way it could happen. No one thought he would go back last year at this time either and he did it then he could very well do it again.

If he doesn't want to sit for four years there is very much a way it could happen. No one thought he would go back last year at this time either and he did it then he could very well do it again.

Actually there was quite a few people that said he would go back this yr.. The entire reason he went back was because he promised his family he would get his degree before going pro. Imagine that, a college athlete that actually kept his promise to his family and like I said if he was dead set against not coming here a trade could always be worked out.

actually there was quite a few people that said he would go back this yr.. The entire reason he went back was because he promised his family he would get his degree before going pro. Imagine that, a college athlete that actually kept his promise to his family and like I said if he was dead set against not coming here a trade could always be worked out.

He also said he wanted to go back because he enjoyed college. If he still likes college, he might very well go back for his senior year if he doesn't want to sit behind Peyton Manning. He doesn't have to force a trade he can just go back to school. Is it likely to happen? I don't think so. Is it possiable very much so. It's far cry from the no chance in the world it happens that you are giving it. You can say it's not likely and I would agree with you but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

He also said he wanted to go back because he enjoyed college. If he still likes college, he might very well go back for his senior year if he doesn't want to sit behind Peyton Manning. He doesn't have to force a trade he can just go back to school. Is it likely to happen? I don't think so. Is it possiable very much so. It's far cry from the no chance in the world it happens that you are giving it. You can say it's not likely and I would agree with you but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Ok, I'll concede and say stranger things have happened, but I think he has accomplished what he went back for.

Ok, I'll concede and say stranger things have happened, but I think he has accomplished what he went back for.

He probably has but him coming out might depend on the Colts if we get the first pick. He might simply not want to sit behind Manning for four years and rather than go threw the PR nightmare that is forcing the trade or risk the Colts refusing to trade him he might just take the decision out of the Colts hands and go back to school.

Again I don't think it's likely to happen but you know not everyone is going to jump at the idea of sitting behind another player for four years because after all players want to play. I expect him to come out don't get me wrong, I just felt everyone was taking it for granted that he will and he might not.

I don't know about the Willis part, but they'd offer something. Consider that they may not finish too far from us in the draft, so a lot will hinge upon that.

But that is a likely, if slightly fantastical scenario.

People know me, and I would trade the Luck pick away in a heartbeat.

I don't know about the Willis part, but they'd offer something. Consider that they may not finish too far from us in the draft, so a lot will hinge upon that.

But that is a likely, if slightly fantastical scenario.

People know me, and I would trade the Luck pick away in a heartbeat.

You know, honestly I'm not even sure it matters how far behind us a team is. I think, with all of the over-the-top hype on Luck I wouldn't be surprised if the team with the #2 pick would give up 3-4 picks to move up and take him at #1.

You know, honestly I'm not even sure it matters how far behind us a team is. I think, with all of the over-the-top hype on Luck I wouldn't be surprised if the team with the #2 pick would give up 3-4 picks to move up and take him at #1.

Again depends on who is there, say it's the Panthers, Bengals, Browns they aren't going to trade to get him. They have their QBs of the future. With that said if it's a team like say the Seahawks or KC they might very well be willing to deal. It all depends on how bad they need a QB.

Again depends on who is there, say it's the Panthers, Bengals, Browns they aren't going to trade to get him. They have their QBs of the future. With that said if it's a team like say the Seahawks or KC they might very well be willing to deal. It all depends on how bad they need a QB.

You're right...it definitely depends on who's there. And I fully agree with Carolina but I'm not quite so sure that the Browns or Bengals wouldn't at least consider it. It's obviously far less likely but I wouldn't say it's totally impossible.

You're right...it definitely depends on who's there. And I fully agree with Carolina but I'm not quite so sure that the Browns or Bengals wouldn't at least consider it. It's obviously far less likely but I wouldn't say it's totally impossible.

I think both like Dalton and McCoy. If they had the first pick I could see them thinking about taking him but I don't think they would be willing to trade up to get Luck they would just go with their younger guys and let someone else trade for Luck and draft someone else to address another need with their pick.

I think both like Dalton and McCoy. If they had the first pick I could see them thinking about taking him but I don't think they would be willing to trade up to get Luck they would just go with their younger guys and let someone else trade for Luck and draft someone else to address another need with their pick.

I agree and chances are you're right....but you never know what might change if either Dalton or especially McCoy has a bad year. I say especially McCoy because he'd have a full year and a half as a starter. If he has a really bad year well....you know how much of a "we want it and we want it now" kind of league it's become. I definitely don't think it would be the smart thing to do, but then again I still question all that Atlanta gave up to get Julio Jones. lol

If Cleveland were going to try to make a deal though it'd be much more likely it'd be for a top WR like Alshon Jeffrey or another position they feel they have a big need.

OK, so throwing Willis in the mix is getting kinda greedy, I know, I just wanted to gauge the opinions around here. Personally, if San Fran did make that offer, I think we'd have to take it. Manning comes back healthy and Willis comes in on the other side...I'm drooling just thinking about that.

But I do this it's conceivable that San Fran will really want Luck and they'll be extremely likely to throw all kinds of deals at us. If young Polian is smart, he'll field their call and say "thanks for the interest, but right now we're exploring many different routes with this year's pick." That way, he can make them sweat and get as much out of them as we can.

Let me pose another question then: Assuming we have the #1 pick and we're going to trade it for ONLY picks, what is the lowest first round pick you'd accept? Obviously, it would come with a multitude of later round, or later year picks, but would you be OK with trading the #1 pick for anything outside of the top 15? Top 10? What about the #20 pick plus an ungodly number of picks in later rounds and next year?

I'd want to stay in the top 10, maybe top 15 if there are enough other picks in other rounds added to it.

OK, so throwing Willis in the mix is getting kinda greedy, I know, I just wanted to gauge the opinions around here. Personally, if San Fran did make that offer, I think we'd have to take it. Manning comes back healthy and Willis comes in on the other side...I'm drooling just thinking about that.

But I do this it's conceivable that San Fran will really want Luck and they'll be extremely likely to throw all kinds of deals at us. If young Polian is smart, he'll field their call and say "thanks for the interest, but right now we're exploring many different routes with this year's pick." That way, he can make them sweat and get as much out of them as we can.

Let me pose another question then: Assuming we have the #1 pick and we're going to trade it for ONLY picks, what is the lowest first round pick you'd accept? Obviously, it would come with a multitude of later round, or later year picks, but would you be OK with trading the #1 pick for anything outside of the top 15? Top 10? What about the #20 pick plus an ungodly number of picks in later rounds and next year?

I'd want to stay in the top 10, maybe top 15 if there are enough other picks in other rounds added to it.

Id say the trades will be coming from teams picking in the top 10 or 15. Teams picking in the bottom half of the draft in most cases dont have a huge need for a QB. Its normally the teams picking early, which is why a lot of QBs get taken earlier than what their play and ability call for.

Id like to stay in the top ten. The 5 worst teams needing QBs are prolly KC, MIA, SF, SEA, and DEN.. Maybe the skins if Rex turns back into bad Rex and starts passing to the other team and Beck is unimpressive. Denver could be out of this if Tebow was to some how play and be good.

That puts us still picking around 7 or 8.

I'd like the draft to look like this

1-Alshon Jeffery/Justin Blackmon

2-Vontaze Burfict/Manti Te'o

2-Best CB/Oline

3-Mark Barron SS/Nick Foles-Kellen MooreQB

3-7 Best Avail.DB,Line,RB,LB

Id say the trades will be coming from teams picking in the top 10 or 15. Teams picking in the bottom half of the draft in most cases dont have a huge need for a QB. Its normally the teams picking early, which is why a lot of QBs get taken earlier than what their play and ability call for.

Id like to stay in the top ten. The 5 worst teams needing QBs are prolly KC, MIA, SF, SEA, and DEN.. Maybe the skins if Rex turns back into bad Rex and starts passing to the other team and Beck is unimpressive. Denver could be out of this if Tebow was to some how play and be good.

That puts us still picking around 7 or 8.

I'd like the draft to look like this

1-Alshon Jeffery/Justin Blackmon

2-Vontaze Burfict/Manti Te'o

2-Best CB/Oline

3-Mark Barron SS/Nick Foles-Kellen MooreQB

3-7 Best Avail.DB,Line,RB,LB

Wait there are a few problems here...Burfict and Te'o will most likely both go in the top 20 and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them went in the top 10. Also Barron is the #1 prospect at SS so him falling to the 3rd round is a big stretch. I like the guy's you're looking at (though I'd take Michael Floyd over Justin Blackmon) but most of them are going higher than you have them.

Wait there are a few problems here...Burfict and Te'o will most likely both go in the top 20 and I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them went in the top 10. Also Barron is the #1 prospect at SS so him falling to the 3rd round is a big stretch. I like the guy's you're looking at (though I'd take Michael Floyd over Justin Blackmon) but most of them are going higher than you have them.

I was just basing the number by CBS rankings. ILB have a tendancy to fall in the draft because of QBs and pass rushers being over valued. Rey Mauluga and James Laurinitis were both expected to go in the first round, maybe even top 20, but both fell to 2nd round. I wouldnt mind trading back into the first round to pick one of those LBs... Floyd to has had a lot of character problems, but if those are worked out then I like him a lot too.

I was just basing the number by CBS rankings. ILB have a tendancy to fall in the draft because of QBs and pass rushers being over valued. Rey Mauluga and James Laurinitis were both expected to go in the first round, maybe even top 20, but both fell to 2nd round. I wouldnt mind trading back into the first round to pick one of those LBs... Floyd to has had a lot of character problems, but if those are worked out then I like him a lot too.

Ok yeah I got ya. I've just got this gut feeling that Te'o and Burfict go high and others might fall like Courtney Upshaw and Don'ta Hightower. No idea about Kuechly. As for Floyd, yeah he did have some issues and then he got suspended from the team. Coaches sat down with him and told him he could come back if he straightened himself out so he apparently changed some of the people he hangs out with and hasn't had any issues since. If he finishes school (don't forget it is Notre Dame) then I'd be convinced those issues are taken care of.

I hate to be Debbie Downer but there is still the possibility that Peyton doesn't come back at all. We will have a much better idea of his status come draft time. If Peyton looks like he might not make it back and we have the no. 1 pick then Luck is a no brainer. Agreed??

No I don't agree. Stated it a number of times though. See the "for those who want Andrew Luck" thread. :)

Ok yeah I got ya. I've just got this gut feeling that Te'o and Burfict go high and others might fall like Courtney Upshaw and Don'ta Hightower. No idea about Kuechly. As for Floyd, yeah he did have some issues and then he got suspended from the team. Coaches sat down with him and told him he could come back if he straightened himself out so he apparently changed some of the people he hangs out with and hasn't had any issues since. If he finishes school (don't forget it is Notre Dame) then I'd be convinced those issues are taken care of.

No I don't agree. Stated it a number of times though. See the "for those who want Andrew Luck" thread. :)

I still disagree with you. From what I've seen Luck is head and shoulders above the other college prospects at QB. Why would we want to settle for no. 2 or 3 when we are looking for the next franchise QB? Polian would probably just squander any extra draft picks anyway.

Yes and No.. He is above everyone in being the most pro-ready, but with being the most talented and the most potential? Im not sure. But if Peyton is not able to come back, then I think we do draft Luck.

A lot should be learned about him this year I am hoping as far as if he has the skills to be a franchise QB. So far he has played well, but he hasnt had to make the tough throws and hasnt had the game on his shoulders. He has a great running game and an awesome O-line. Keep in mind, our running game is not really our strong suit, and Peyton is the best ever at getting the ball out in less that 2 seconds to cover up our O-line problems.

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying he has to be as good as Peyton. But Id like to see him put in that position. Having to win the game under pressure with a good pass rush and having to fit the ball into little holes, but with their gameplan being run first and playaction to throw to wide-open 6'6" TEs. Guys are not thay open in the NFL. This is also behind a O-line with multiple first round picks. He might have what it takes, and if we do get him I sure hope he does, but I am yet to witness it.

Yes and No.. He is above everyone in being the most pro-ready, but with being the most talented and the most potential? Im not sure. But if Peyton is not able to come back, then I think we do draft Luck.

A lot should be learned about him this year I am hoping as far as if he has the skills to be a franchise QB. So far he has played well, but he hasnt had to make the tough throws and hasnt had the game on his shoulders. He has a great running game and an awesome O-line. Keep in mind, our running game is not really our strong suit, and Peyton is the best ever at getting the ball out in less that 2 seconds to cover up our O-line problems.

Dont get me wrong. Im not saying he has to be as good as Peyton. But Id like to see him put in that position. Having to win the game under pressure with a good pass rush and having to fit the ball into little holes, but with their gameplan being run first and playaction to throw to wide-open 6'6" TEs. Guys are not thay open in the NFL. This is also behind a O-line with multiple first round picks. He might have what it takes, and if we do get him I sure hope he does, but I am yet to witness it.

Exactly. We'd need an entire offensive overhaul before we could attempt to put him in a similar situation to what he's in now. However a Landry Jones or Nick Foles both come from a more spread style offense which really is closer to what we run. Colts are working on becoming more balanced and being able to run the ball better but with the current personnel we're more of a passing team. We have no way of knowing how Luck would play if he came here where he wouldn't have the same power running game to rely on and the same elite type of offensive line. Our OL is getting better but it's gonna be a while before they'd be able to give Luck the type of protection he has now. So in that regard one could argue it would be more of a risk to bring him in as opposed to someone who's been under similar circumstances in college and still was able to perform at a high level.

Just something to think about, here are the top rated QB's and the help they get from their team's running game:

Andrew Luck, Stanford, 5.4 ypc, 196 yards per game

Matt Barkley, USC, 3.9 ypc, 131 yards per game

Landry Jones, Oklahoma, 4.2 ypc, 179 yards per game

Kirk Cousins, Michigan St, 3.5 ypc, 125 yards per game

Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M, 4.6 ypc, 176 yards per game

Robert Griffin, Baylor, 6.3 ypc, 208 yards per game

Brandon Wheeden, Oklahoma St, 4.7 ypc, 193 yards per game

Nick Foles, Arizona, 2.6 ypc, 56 yards per game

Kellen Moore, Boise St, 3.7 ypc, 137 yards per game

All of these quarterbacks are getting it done and that's why they're all so highly rated. However, some of them are clearly getting more help than others. How would Griffin, Wheeden or Luck fare if their teams weren't rushing the ball for ~200 yards every game?

Ok let me start by asking..can luck play dt, lb, or cb?(sarcasm) cuz if he cant and manning can come back 100% healthy we are wasting our time with luck. In my opinion luck would be a wasted pick unless we knew peyton would never be the same. And I will also state if we take luck and he rides the bench behind peyton. Peyton will never get another ring. We need impact players on d right now. My perfect senario is to.trade that pic for clevlands two firsts. Why would clevland want luck? He fits their power run mode plus the have a strong oline. They will finish picking in the top ten. And atlanta will pick around twenty. With our first pick we take michael floyd wr nd. Big play reciever and ima make a statement that he'll be the best wr since cj jr came out. When our second pick we take either burfict lb arizona st. or manti teo lb nd. Both are big strong hard hitters. Those two picks will set this team up. 2nd round we take peter konz c wisc. Jeff saturday its time to hang em up. For my third round im gonna say we also aquired and extra one in the browns trade(maybe not possible but oh well its fun to think about). with our pick I take the best cb left. There should be.a talented one here. With the browns pick I take harrison smith s nd. This guy.has an eye for the.ball and is good in run support. 4th I take short nt purdue(not sure if this is too high or low for him). After this round.we just.pick to fill any need

Ive looked at some of the players a little more as to where their draft stock is. If we get the 1st pick I say to trade down. We will prolly get a top ten pick in 1st 2nd and 3rd and prolly some picks next year.

1-Take best WR avail. Alshon/Floyd/Blackmon- we need a future number 1 for when Reggie is gone, and a playmaker now.

1b-Trade back up into the 1st by giving one of our seconds and thirds, and take ILB-Te'o/Burfict- gets us a true force at LB.

2- SS Mark Barron or other top player on D- helps the DBs. We need another starting caliber S.

2b-traded for 1b

3-Nick Foles/Kellen Moore- I think both have potential to be starters. At least very formidable back-ups.

3b-traded for 1b

4-7-Best available potential. -- one could be speed RB to be change of pace for Carter. I wouldnt mind another WR as well if we lose Garcon and/or Collie or a more balanced TE. or good Line depth.

If the draft goes something like this, some players may change, but if these holes are filled; we end up with 3 starters, a back up QB able to be groomed to become starter, and some depth at other positions. Maybe we get a late round gem like we usually find. We would also have possibly two 1st rounders next year and/or some doubles at rounds 2-7.

I believe this scenario helps the team the most.

It is just not that simple. If Manning gets a clean bill of health and they expect him to finish his contract, trading the # 1 pick to bolster a roster full of holes seems a reasonable choice, especially given that Luck's sole job for 3 years would be to hold a clipboard.

I can see those wanting Luck. It makes sense. But the other option also makes a great deal of sense too.

So what you are saying is that back in the year the Colts drafted Peyton, they should have traded down and added more players over taking Peyton? Beacuse that is what you would be doing by passing on Luck. QB's on that level come out not very often and to pass on him would just be foolish. As we see, a team must have a quality QB to compete.